• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the phone? There are a lot of reviews on youtube. A lot from people who barely speak english because it is a phone meant for the indian/chinese markets, but there are a few goodn english reviews. No reviews with the nexus rom. I wish I could record and show you something but I don't have a camera good enough. My nexus 4 is complete crap basically dead now.
I wanted to see it run stock android but I guess I can google that :p

Let's not get crazy here. There may be one flagship out there that I'd call a legit bad phone.
amen lol

I shit on the S6 but mostly only because it's close to being amazing but misses the mark. G4 is just....unexciting. Not bad just not exciting. And missing tech. Moto releasing so late in 2015 and missing key tech as well, also the different phones for different regions and all of them being huge....sour taste all over.

Not a bad year but just by the adoption new technologies and stable socs (820) next year will be better by default but I'm sure it will bring new disappointments. That's why the nexus 5-2 is a solid carry over phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There is far too much hyperbole and over-exaggeration in this and most other Android-related threads. None of the flagship phones released this year are trash/hot garbage/shit/whatever. Not even some of the low-end and midrange devices could be described in such a fashion. I know the constant negativity and bitching is some of y'all schtick, but damn yo, give that shit a rest sometimes.
Let's all just buy iPhone 3GS devices. They still work fine so of course it's not hot garbage today.

Just bought a OP2 for $400.

WBsVje2.jpg

I don't think the Nexus 5X will be able to compete.
That's what I like to hear!

RuGalz

There is far too much hyperbole and over-exaggeration in this and most other Android-related threads. None of the flagship phones released this year are trash/hot garbage/shit/whatever. Not even some of the low-end and midrange devices could be described in such a fashion. I know the constant negativity and bitching is some of y'all schtick, but damn yo, give that shit a rest sometimes.

well obviously you don't own an iphone!

there should be two threads esp that's how Googy likes to do things.

Hasney

The camera doesn't even suck that much. I've taken pretty decent low light shots.

The camera itself is pretty nice, the software for it is garbage. I barely use it, so it doesn't bother me, but the couple of times I have, the auto focus bullshit is so fucking annoying. Then there's like 3 different menus to do shit for some reason.
Let's not get crazy here. There may be one flagship out there that I'd call a legit bad phone.

HTC One M9

The phones aren't horrible, but almost every one has no real improvement from the 2014 model. With a hot, inefficient, battery sucking CPU and a lack of new features, it has been 2skip15 so far. Samsung improved in some ways, but at a huge trade off in price and battery depending on what reviews you read.

The Xperia and Nexus phones coming at least have a feature bump coming

Saiyan-Rox

I never noticed any of screen issues on my N6

Kinda glad I no longer use it as it would have bugged me after someone pointing it out

Hasney

I never noticed any of screen issues on my N6

Kinda glad I no longer use it as it would have bugged me after someone pointing it out

The rainbow effect someone pointed out in here I never noticed.... But it has to be at an almost 90 degree angle to your face so I'd never use my phone like that.

hitgirl

I would never send anyone to verizon. Th✔at was yo✔ur fir✔st mis✔take.

Haha. Company pays for it.. I've gone back and forth, like is this WORTH it for free? I end up with yes because I can have a good meal instead of a monthly phone bill. And coverage is decent and now you can start buying unbranded phones like the Nexus 6 and Moto X Pure. Still a garbage carrier though.

kinggroin

Banned
The rainbow effect someone pointed out in here I never noticed.... But it has to be at an almost 90 degree angle to your face so I'd never use my phone like that.

It's called reaching.

Poors that didn't want to get the extra job to buy it, are really good at doing this

Admodieus

Haha. Company pays for it.. I've gone back and forth, like is this WORTH it for free? I end up with yes because I can have a good meal instead of a monthly phone bill. And coverage is decent and now you can start buying unbranded phones like the Nexus 6 and Moto X Pure. Still a garbage carrier though.

Yup, in the same situation. Let's hope the Nexus 5 is usable on Verizon. Otherwise it's the Pure or a 6S for me

Salsa

Hay droga? Seriously though, what's wrong?

😅

you dont see the darker spot underneath the notification?

bothersome but also a pressure point. if I press on the screen wherever that smudge changes. phone is just squeezed in that point and it generated that smudge

distracting and could cause future issues, dunno

been talking to the guy who sold it to me about it and he might give me back some of the money

either that or i'll just return it

The Cowboy

I know you guys will laugh at me but I bought a a Lenovo K3 note for $150 from China and installed a nexus rom on it just now and this shit is awesome. Seriously unreal for the price. Super smooth. Out of the box the rom sucks and is bloated as hell so rooting and custom rom is a must if you want to get one.

Never spending money on a big brand name again.

Only issue is my date in the quick settings (swiping down from top bar) is numerical like this 9/11/2015 whereas my nexus 4 it is Friday, September 11. Any ideas how to fix that?

Why would some laugh? (is the K3 Note considered bad?), i have one as well that i got for £75 (brand new) and I think its fantastic, i fully agree on the stock rom being bloated to hell but once you flash a custom/different one (i just have the latest stock ROW one) onto it - its pretty dam great for the price you can pick these up for. I'm not a fan of the Lenovo launcher, but once Nova is installed and set up it looks and runs great - the screen on it is also pretty dam good IMO, i set mine to 403 density to match the 403 DPI as I'm not a fan of the default 480 density on 1080p screens.

The only thing i really want for mine is a full on loud orange back for it so it would look like a Lumia 640 XL :D, i will likely buy the yellow one at some point (or just spray paint mine) - but it does still look very nice in white.
---
For the date/time, mine reads as the words so right now the top down bar reads Time: Saturday, September 12 - I'll have a look to see if i can spot how it was set like this.

Edit.
I can't see a setting anywhere to change it, perhaps mine is different due to the rom I'm using.

This is what mine looks like (i think this is what your on about).

Double edit.
Ahh, completely missed that you're running the Nexus ROM - that why I can't find a setting to change it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Apple is screwing me and making me get a Nexus because I can't buy a 6S+ outright got dammit im sick of being a filthy android peasant

Bboy AJ

I bought the T-Mobile 6+ last year (full price) from Apple Online Store and it was unlocked day one
But do you have to involve the carrier? I'm p sure you need to activate it with, say, T-Mobile first.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Apple is screwing me and making me get a Nexus because I can't buy a 6S+ outright got dammit im sick of being a filthy android peasant

I'll buy you one from the UK store, they do unlocked sim free. 64GB 6S+ for the bargain price of only £700 ($1100)

Hattori

Banned
But do you have to involve the carrier? I'm p sure you need to activate it with, say, T-Mobile first.

Not the t-mobile one, iirc I just bought it outright, no activations needed. It's pretty much untouched no sim whatsoever. Though this could have changed for the 6S but if you really want one I would suggest trying to get the t-mobile one from the online store.

Salsa

I found another dude selling the same exact phone with the exact same price and the same amount of use

kinda crazy

gonna return this tomorrow, get money back and go purchase that one

not risking it with this pressure smudge. sorta thing that could cause further issues

Reckoner

I'll buy you one from the UK store, they do unlocked sim free. 64GB 6S+ for the bargain price of only £700 ($1100)

I don't even know if I'm going to be able to order one until Christmas (hyperbole?). I bet they delayed the second wave 'cause of the Chinese release.
cry.gif

LOL

"We messed up the launch of the OnePlus 2.

Well, we messed up the launch of the OnePlus One as well. Although inventory levels ramped up eventually, months after the announcement, it was still extremely difficult to buy the device. We comforted ourselves to the fact that we were young, and that we'd learn and show the world we could do better next time around.

With the OnePlus 2, we made rosy plans. We were more confident, and prepared a lot more inventory. We told our users it would be 30-50x easier to get invites, and they needn't worry. Yet, we only began shipping in meaningful quantities this week, nearly a month after our initial targeted shipping date. You can talk all you want, but in the end, flawless execution speaks much louder than unfulfilled promises.

I'd like to apologize on behalf of OnePlus for the delay."
I'm sure we laughed at this already but I just saw it.

Reckoner

weren't all the media saying it's still water resistant and stuff? I think it is but they don't want you to use it with water? I don't get it.

It is waterproof, but they shouldn't have marketed their phones as completely waterproof. And we understood why right after, with the amount of accidents and complaints. The waterproofing is a good thing to have, but should always be treated as a "safety" thing.

You can talk all you want, but in the end, flawless execution speaks much louder than unfulfilled promises.

lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom