• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is stock Android even good on tablets?

Stock Android isn't good on any device....

I mean if you're looking for something AOSP-ish, you would do well to at least use CynanogenMicrosoft. I don't believe for a moment that pure stock Android is actually meant to be used, it's just a development base for everyone from the XDA ROM developer to Samsung to cook their own flavor of Android with.

kharma45

Bought a 6S+. 64GB rose. I hope it's legit unlocked.

Getting the same through work but in space grey as I don't think we get a choice of colour through work on the 6S+, or at least people getting 6+ didn't. Sooner it's available the better, think it took around a month for staff to be able order last year with the new iPhone so hopefully similar this year.

As dumb and half assed reachability was... Kinda wish there was a feature like that on Android

I'm getting used to the screen and the wireless charging is ace. Maybe I'll come around to it within the next few days. Or end up with a 6s lol

What are you rocking?

Nexus 6.
I love the design but hate the screen and camera.

Most of the reason why I wanted to switch to Android is because I think that Google is thinking about its services the right way. Google Now, Music Play, Hangouts, Photos... They're thinking about the greater landscape.

I've lost a bit of faith with Apple. Ever since iCloud it seems that they can't get a service right. Siri has improved, Maps have improvrd but they're still behind Google.

If I were still firmly locked into the Apple ecosystem this wouldn't be so bad. But I have a work Mac that I don't trust to log into iCloud, I have a Hackintosh that I'm gonna gut into a PC... It just seems that phone apps and web apps should be firmly integrated, which Google is doing.

But regardless of that there still feels like Google`s third party apps lack a certain polish compares to iOS apps. And again, its hardware falls short.

So I can pick either A+ service with C- hardware or A hardware and like...C service.

Not sure what I want but if I go back to Apple at least Google supports it some what. Its annoying that I can't set default apps but at least its a work around. I can't work around a terrible
camera.

Admodieus

Nexus 6.
I love the design but hate the screen and camera.

Most of the reason why I wanted to switch to Android is because I think that Google is thinking about its services the right way. Google Now, Music Play, Hangouts, Photos... They're thinking about the greater landscape.

I've lost a bit of faith with Apple. Ever since iCloud it seems that they can't get a service right. Siri has improved, Maps have improvrd but they're still behind Google.

If I were still firmly locked into the Apple ecosystem this wouldn't be so bad. But I have a work Mac that I don't trust to log into iCloud, I have a Hackintosh that I'm gonna gut into a PC... It just seems that phone apps and web apps should be firmly integrated, which Google is doing.

But regardless of that there still feels like Google`s third party apps lack a certain polish compares to iOS apps. And again, its hardware falls short.

So I can pick either A+ service with C- hardware or A hardware and like...C service.

Not sure what I want but if I go back to Apple at least Google supports it some what. Its annoying that I can't set default apps but at least its a work around. I can't work around a terrible
camera.

I've had several people tell me that the best course of action is to use Google services through the best/most polished apps for the job on Apple hardware. It's the best of all worlds.

Why would some laugh? (is the K3 Note considered bad?), i have one as well that i got for £75 (brand new) and I think its fantastic, i fully agree on the stock rom being bloated to hell but once you flash a custom/different one (i just have the latest stock ROW one) onto it - its pretty dam great for the price you can pick these up for. I'm not a fan of the Lenovo launcher, but once Nova is installed and set up it looks and runs great - the screen on it is also pretty dam good IMO, i set mine to 403 density to match the 403 DPI as I'm not a fan of the default 480 density on 1080p screens.

The only thing i really want for mine is a full on loud orange back for it so it would look like a Lumia 640 XL :D, i will likely buy the yellow one at some point (or just spray paint mine) - but it does still look very nice in white.
---
For the date/time, mine reads as the words so right now the top down bar reads Time: Saturday, September 12 - I'll have a look to see if i can spot how it was set like this.

Edit.
I can't see a setting anywhere to change it, perhaps mine is different due to the rom I'm using.

This is what mine looks like (i think this is what your on about).

Double edit.
Ahh, completely missed that you're running the Nexus ROM - that why I can't find a setting to change it.
Yeah thanks. I am on the Nexus rom. It may be a strange bug that I can fix somehow. It really is a nice phone. I have it in white as well. So far happy with my purchase.

I've had several people tell me that the best course of action is to use Google services through the best/most polished apps for the job on Apple hardware. It's the best of all worlds.

Not really when you open a link and it opens Apple Maps

There is one sort of workaround for default apps; just use all of Google's apps.

On iPhone? Or Android? On android its top not, I love material design more than Apples half glass whatever nonsense. The default apps on Android are fine, its when you start looking at the playstore where its like "ehh I feel like the polish isn't there ..."

Reckoner

Xperia fan?

We are a rare breed in this thread.

I really like these new ones. I was debating between getting the Z5c and the 6s, but ended up deciding on the later - I usually swap between iOS and Android every year. Still, it's the perfect Android phone right now. Maybe I'll end up getting one next year when they release the Z6 with the SD820.

kharma45

This is a community thread. I can talk about burgers and it would be fine.

Try telling that to FootieGAF http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164215084&postcount=26

Stay on topic. This thread is for discussing football/soccer. This is not your catchall chat room for talking about video games, television, dating, what you had for breakfast, etc... We have threads for other topics, please use them.

Community thread was totally decimated.

On iPhone? Or Android? On android its top not, I love material design more than Apples half glass whatever nonsense. The default apps on Android are fine, its when you start looking at the playstore where its like "ehh I feel like the polish isn't there ..."

Maybe you should have waited for the nexus 5-2, you'll never get a good camera on the nexus, but it may have fixed your screen issues. Actually LG has been doing great on both fronts.

reKon

Banned
I remember in these threads when we used to actually talk about cool roms and shit. Now it's 90% about disappointment in phone hardware. It gets exhausting talking about phones when the one you has been working fine lol. But then again, maybe it's just that this isthe only thing to talk about...

EmiPrime

On iOS. If you tap on a link in the Gmail app for example you can make it so that it opens in Chrome.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I remember in these threads when we used to actually talk about cool roms and shit. Now it's 90% about disappointment in phone hardware. It gets exhausting talking about phones when the one you has been working fine lol. But then again, maybe it's just that this isthe only thing to talk about...
We talked about roms because the software sucked.

I got an iPhone 5C from work and I don't like using it. Who thought it would be a great idea to have the back button at the top left? It's literally the hardest place to reach when one-handed.

Android 4 lyfe. <3 Nexus 5

reKon

Banned
Anybody with thoughts on the Galaxy Tab S2? Kind of want to trade in my OG N7 for 100 bucks off the 8 inch one.

Search my history for impressions I've made on the device.

If you want the quick answer: it's a great upgrade at that price and it's easily one of the best tablets you can buy, even against the iPad Mini 4. The main con is battery life, but for me it's not so bad and I'm getting better life than I did from Nexus 7 on its last legs at least.

It's just so thin and the materials really feel nice that it makes you want to just hold it and use it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
30055-491536873_a5c91bc47a.jpg

Wow the topic title is legit lol. Lots of people going the iway and there aint nothin wrong with that. I always usually rock one android and one ios with one of them being my work phone and then I use the one I like most as my personal.

In canada iphone prices are ABSOLUTELY INSANE lol. a 64gb 6s ON CONTRACT is 600 bucks after taxes. So I'm gonna get a cheaper android this year (nexus 5-2 pls) and then next year if our dollar doesn't get better I'm going to have to use my upgrade on android (samsung just throw 3000mah in the exact same phone problem solved).

I really like these new ones. I was debating between getting the Z5c and the 6s, but ended up deciding on the later - I usually swap between iOS and Android every year. Still, it's the perfect Android phone right now. Maybe I'll end up getting one next year when they release the Z6 with the SD820.
It looks quite nice. Only thing is the price for the Z5: it is quite expensive.
This is a community thread. I can talk about burgers and it would be fine.
It's only because the mods have forsaken this thread. They don't give a flying fuck about Android.

Wreav

Banned
I got an iPhone 5C from work and I don't like using it. Who thought it would be a great idea to have the back button at the top left? It's literally the hardest place to reach when one-handed.

Android 4 lyfe. <3 Nexus 5

Until you realize that left swiping is a core tenet of iOS design language, and most apps support it. You never actually have to hit the back button in practice. Far more natural, and therefore superior, than the Android back button IMO.

Until you realize that left swiping is a core tenet of iOS design language, and most apps support it. You never actually have to hit the back button in practice. Far more natural, and therefore superior, than the Android back button IMO.

The funny thing is almost every app supports the gesture but Google apps. Using Google maps and Gmail is such a fucking chore.

Wreav

Banned
I don't even understand why people are talking about the iPhone so much. This doesn't even feel like an Android OT.

This is a mobile technology thread with Android as the core topic. The US market leader just announced their new flagship and preorders opened today. You'll just have to deal.

The funny thing is almost every app supports the gesture but Google apps. Using Google maps and Gmail is such a fucking chore.

HANGOUTS AHEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom