• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I got my March update on the 6P. Wow, this thing feels so much nicer. It wasn't a fresh wipe so the new firmware feel might not be the reason. This update is awesome. It's my reason to hold off on the N update for now.

Saiyan-Rox

That's good to know. The other thing that makes me hesitant is that possibly of Nvidia releasing their own tablet, which is guaranteed to be more optimized than whatever Google does with this one. They did a good job with both versions of the SHIELD tablet, which received the fastest updates I've ever seen for Non-Nexus devices.

Yeah Nvidia will eventually bring out a new one but not sure about the size of it. If you want a big tablet you'd be best going for the Pixel.

I always forget how light the Pixel C is without the keyboard.

That front facing camera.....man HTCs design has hit the floor....I hope if they are doing the next Nexus Google changes that.

Damn that sucks :( i'd rent it if possible instead of buying it.
Well, it's just my opinion. You may actually enjoy it. It's a stupid, sorta fun action-adventure movie. If you have a play music or YouTube red sub, you can watch it on Rooster Teeth's channel.

Edit: And on the YouTube red originals channel.

And I believe you can rent it on the play store.

Saiyan-Rox

Well, it's just my opinion. You may actually enjoy it. It's a stupid, sorta fun action-adventure movie. If you have a play music or YouTube red sub, you can watch it on Rooster Teeth's channel.

Edit: And on the YouTube red originals channel.

Youtube red isn't available here :( so we can only buy individual shows from it. I saw it's Rotten Tomato's score was pretty bad also.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
RSBrowser flies on the March update. The little lag when you click on the upper right navigation box on GAF mobile is gone.

Noema

Android N looks like a solid update.

I'm specially keen on the improved Doze, improved notifications and built in data saver.

Also apparently you can now adjust system RGB settings.

I'm gonna wait until preview 2 or 3 before I flash it on my N6.

BahamutPT

Just noticed that the text in Quick Reply is persistent.
Even if you lock your device, when you get back the text will still be there as soon as you click on Reply. As long as the notification hasn't been dismissed of course.

Saiyan-Rox

So just tried to use multiwindow with YouTube on my Pixel

Got YouTube on one side and chrome on the other and YouTube plays fine....until you move on chrome then it stops playing :(

Happens on the 6P swell...damn I hope that's just a bug it's mainly what I want multiwindow for.

BahamutPT

Got YouTube on one side and chrome on the other and YouTube plays fine....until you move on chrome then it stops playing :(

Happens on the 6P swell...damn I hope that's just a bug it's mainly what I want multiwindow for.

I highly suspect that may be on purpose because of YouTube Red. They also disabled picture-in-picture for Youtube on iOS because it would be a way around that IIRC.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Ordered a 5X for $199.

Buddy said he'd give me his good condition regular Nexus 6 (non-P) for $125. Should I do that instead? Any reason to keep the 5X?

This will be PURELY a secondary, back-up phone, used primarily for Project Fi when I travel overseas. I already have an AT&T 6s Plus, but they're international pricing is fucking ridiculous.

linkboy

Ordered a 5X for $199.

Buddy said he'd give me his good condition regular Nexus 6 (non-P) for $125. Should I do that instead? Any reason to keep the 5X?

This will be PURELY a secondary, back-up phone, used primarily for Project Fi when I travel overseas. I already have an AT&T 6s Plus, but they're international pricing is fucking ridiculous.

Is it the 32 or 64gb, and in what condition is it in? $125 for a Nexus 6 is a great price, either way. It's still a great phone. I got a 64gb one back in Sept and I still love it.

Noema

Ordered a 5X for $199.

Unless you find the 6 to be too big, I'd go for that over the 5x.

Ask him of you can borrow it for a weekend and see how you feel.

Broank

Fuck it joined the Beta program and got N on my N6. Was surprised I got the update instantly. Time to mess around with it for a bit, hopefully my phone doesn't flip out or blow a gasket.

Bboy AJ

You talking about MCH19I
Yup.
Ordered a 5X for $199.

I'd take the Nexus 6.

z3phon

Coming back to android after many years of being a iphone owner. There's a lot I feel I need to learn about android. For starters I got a question about launchers, everyone seems to hate touchWiz on samsung phones. Is touchWiz a launcher, if I install something like the Nova Launcher does that entirely replace touchWiz?
(sorry for the stupid question) but is a luancher just something that replaces how the home screen looks?

edit: getting the S7 Edge tomorrow, should Nova launcher be one of the first things I should install?

reKon

Banned
I'm doing pros/cons and shit now in order to figure out whether I want to keep my Tab S2 or go for the 32 GB Pixel C... lmao I'm a mess..

Tab S2:
+ SD storage (haven't made much use of it yet, way more useful for my phones)
+ Slimmest tablet in the world and most comfortable I've ever used
+ Finger print scanner
+ Great screen & performance
- Average battery life
- Lousy developer support

Pixel
+ Graphical beast
+ Great screen and performance
+ Likely to receive Android N a year before it even touches the Tab S2
+ Godlike battery life
+ Bigger screen size
+ Remix OS rom coming soon
+/- Good keyboard, but tired of the $150+ accessories
- Potential WiFi connection issues
- No fingerprint scanner
- Heavier
- No SD card slot

Other options
* Wait for Surface 4
* Wait for Cube i9 (runs on Core M3) reviews and price drop

Oh Samsung...

ViziLeaks ‏@vizileaks 11 minutes ago

Software update for S7 and S7 edge in Europe will remove Samsung Pay app as Samsung pay delayed, again. #wasntready

Bboy AJ

I'm doing pros/cons and shit now in order to figure out whether I want to keep my Tab S2 or go for the 32 GB Pixel C... lmao I'm a mess..

Tab S2:
+ Finger print scanner
- Average battery life

Pixel
+ Graphical beast
+ Godlike battery life
+ Bigger screen size
- No fingerprint scanner
- Heavier
- No SD card slot

Other options
* Wait for Surface 4
I'm thinking about it, too. But I really like my Zenpad form factor. It's super light and easily handled. I also prefer a smaller screen. I just hate how it won't ever get an update. Multi window is a big deal.

kami_sama

Changed the open last app action from long-pressing recents to double tapping it in anticipation of N.
It wasn't available on stock until now right?

Hasney

Huh, the volume for Google Play Music has been uncoupled from the Bluetooth headphone volume again. Back to how it was in L.

rossonero

Coming back to android after many years of being a iphone owner. There's a lot I feel I need to learn about android. For starters I got a question about launchers, everyone seems to hate touchWiz on samsung phones. Is touchWiz a launcher, if I install something like the Nova Launcher does that entirely replace touchWiz?
(sorry for the stupid question) but is a luancher just something that replaces how the home screen looks?

edit: getting the S7 Edge tomorrow, should Nova launcher be one of the first things I should install?

Yeah exactly. Installing Nova Launcher on S7 Edge would push back Touch wiz to the background so to say. A change of launcher changes the look of the home screen, the app drawer and adds some features like being able to use icon packs and gestures. There are still some things that work, no matter what launcher you have like for an example split screen which is ROM specific but the look of the phone will be different and Nova will bring it's own features as well.

Since you're new, I would just recommend you to use touchwiz for a couple of days and get a feel for that and then install nova to see the difference.

I have an old, cheap Android phone that's used as our kitchen radio. We like to keep the radio on all the time, i.e. 24/7. However, both the music apps I've tried, Amazon Prime Music and I Heart Radio don't play infinitely without them shutting off at some point.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an old Android phone that has an FM radio and that I can buy on eBay or Swappa for $50 or ideally less? Or, better yet, a better app for streaming music?

Saiyan-Rox

I highly suspect that may be on purpose because of YouTube Red. They also disabled picture-in-picture for Youtube on iOS because it would be a way around that IIRC.

I seriously hope not :/ it's not like in trying to play it in the background or play offline :( damnit the main thing I wanted multi window for :/ Google doesnt even give us Red here :/

Hasney

I seriously hope not :/ it's not like in trying to play it in the background or play offline :( damnit the main thing I wanted multi window for :/ Google doesnt even give us Red here :/

If it is intentional, you can still enable background playing with Google Music.

Saiyan-Rox

Tab S2:
+ Finger print scanner
- Average battery life

Pixel
+ Graphical beast
+ Godlike battery life
+ Bigger screen size
- No fingerprint scanner
- Heavier
- No SD card slot

Other options
* Wait for Surface 4

in all honesty the screen isn't actually that great...it's got some of the worst motion blur i've seen in a screen. every swipe you can see the letters being left behind and animations you can see frames of movement behind it when moving (if that makes sense to you) everything else is peachy though.

The keyboard is a nice thing to have, it takes a while getting used too but is not worth the insane price.

If it is intentional, you can still enable background playing with Google Music.

Oh yeah I actually forgot about Google Music....it's what £7.99 a month? I think i'd rather have red though as music is something I don't pay attention too.

Nikodemos

The more I read about the Z5 Compact, the more I'm convinced it's gonna be my next phone.

Small? Check. Powerful? Check (low-res screen means more resources dedicated to actually crunching numbers, rather than vomiting a bunch of pixels). Supports Vulkan? Check (Adreno 430). Supports Marshmallow and unified storage? Check.

diaspora

That's weird. This doesn't happen on my S6.

Chorazin

Uuuuugh, ordered the Pixel C, immediately realized it never switched from my bank account to the credit card I added, and cancelled it easily. Now my code is dead. :( I requested a new one with a different email, hopefully I get it and don't need to deal with their customer service.

jetsetrez

Newegg matched the B&H 6P deal, so I don't have to buy from them and get a useless B&H gift card. $50 off, plus no tax, plus $50 gift card for a store I actually like, was just too good to pass up. I've been dying for another 6P sale for a while, I like my 5X a lot, but it definitely has shortcomings, where the 6P seems to be just about the most well-rounded Android device ever. Looking forward to the screen size and resolution upgrade, extra gig of ram, processor upgrade, stereo speakers, and premium build.

Oh, another benefit of buying on Newegg; the order instantly qualifies you for a free year of Shoprunner, if you're a new member. Now I'm bummed that Dominoes stopped using them, lol. Also, Newegg says the gift card will be emailed within 4 days of invoice, so if anyone wants to buy my $50 GC for $35 to apply to this deal up front, let me know. Then sell your GC and it'll be like you got a $65 GC.

Mindwipe

It's not, they can permit this.

Picture-in-picture on iOS wasn't explicitly enabled, rather than being explicitly disabled. I suspect the average Android user would have gone mad if iOS got it before Android.

It doesn't work with all video streams currently, because the app gets soft suspended in this implementation to save battery life. Developers can mark the sections that shouldn't be suspended, like the video feed, but no apps have been updated with support yet.

Not too worried about this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom