• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Get in N beta or no?

* on 6p
Sure. But the March update is also excellent. I'm surprised a monthly patch improved the phone this much. I thought these were just security updates. It's a legit performance upgrade.

Android N seems amazing. So many little good things. I used to have the stance that Android updates aren't that important anymore and late OEM updates aren't a big deal (if you're at least on 5.1 or 6.0), because I couldn't see what other, meaningful features Google could possibly add. And with the demise of Android Wear and how that's going nowhere, I just didn't think that OS development was a big priority for Google anymore and they could comfortably coast along (a bit naive, but still).

But seeing how they're implementing long requested, expected and other little features into stock Android, made me change my mind. I mean, N isn't some huge revolution, but they're refining it to a top level phone OS. It's definitely getting more enjoyable to use, which is great.

I'd have to compare the new features of N with TouchWiz on the S7, but having to wait 6 months or more for the S7 to get N would definitely annoy me. Not enough to not consider the phone (because it seems like the best phone for me), but definitely way more than I would've thought a week or two ago.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Reading a lot about N seems like they are incorporating a lot of the CM features and other popular apps features into the OS, akin to the iOS approach. Very nice for them to be responsive to the needs of the community.

Reading a lot about N seems like they are incorporating a lot of the CM features and other popular apps features into the OS, akin to the iOS approach. Very nice for them to be responsive to the needs of the community.

Exactly. While it's great that you can already do most of the upcoming features with apps, ROMs or OEM skins, I always prefer a native solution that doesn't involve a 3rd party fiddling with the code.

Sure. But the March update is also excellent. I'm surprised a monthly patch improved the phone this much. I thought these were just security updates. It's a legit performance upgrade.

I'm torn between staying on N or going back to the March update. I'm loving the quick replies and multitasking improvements on N.

reKon

Banned
Android N seems amazing. So many little good things. I used to have the stance that Android updates aren't that important anymore and late OEM updates aren't a big deal (if you're at least on 5.1 or 6.0), because I couldn't see what other, meaningful features Google could possibly add. And with the demise of Android Wear and how that's going nowhere, I just didn't think that OS development was a big priority for Google anymore and they could comfortably coast along (a bit naive, but still).

But seeing how they're implementing long requested, expected and other little features into stock Android, made me change my mind. I mean, N isn't some huge revolution, but they're refining it to a top level phone OS. It's definitely getting more enjoyable to use, which is great.

I'd have to compare the new features of N with TouchWiz on the S7, but having to wait 6 months or more for the S7 to get N would definitely annoy me. Not enough to not consider the phone (because it seems like the best phone for me), but definitely way more than I would've thought a week or two ago.

The features in N are really nice, but it's not a dealbreaker for me going with the S7 because of things like multi window bakes into TouchWiz and the fact that the phone has good battery life. This update is much more important for Android tablets.

Exactly. While it's great that you can already do most of the upcoming features with apps, ROMs or OEM skins, I always prefer a native solution that doesn't involve a 3rd party fiddling with the code.

N is getting pretty close. The only standout thing missing is an adblocking solution for Chrome. This makes a huge, huge difference on mobile where every megabyte counts and website responsiveness gets a huge boost, too. Too many websites think about mobile just in terms of design and definitely not in terms of bandwidth. Non-root solutions are unreliable and root solutions are all-or-nothing. This is one area where iOS is way ahead.

Hasney

N is getting pretty close. The only standout thing missing is an adblocking solution for Chrome. This makes a huge, huge difference on mobile where every megabyte counts and website responsiveness gets a huge boost, too. Too many websites think about mobile just in terms of design and definitely not in terms of bandwidth. Non-root solutions are unreliable and root solutions are all-or-nothing. This is one area where iOS is way ahead.

Even then, you can just download a browser that has it rather than flash a ROM. CAFBrowser worked pefect for this.

Seeing as Google have a big chunk of ad business I'd be surprised if that happened though - particularly as they've recently made wording more explicit about ad blockers that interfere with other apps.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Yep. Going to 5.0.1 let me move on from needing Xposed. With N and CafBrowser I might move away from root altogether and be able to use Android Pay again.

I have an old, cheap Android phone that's used as our kitchen radio. We like to keep the radio on all the time, i.e. 24/7. However, both the music apps I've tried, Amazon Prime Music and I Heart Radio don't play infinitely without them shutting off at some point.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an old Android phone that has an FM radio and that I can buy on eBay or Swappa for $50 or ideally less? Or, better yet, a better app for streaming music?

http://nextradioapp.com/supported-devices/

the Kyocera Hydro Vibe is $30 on Virginmobile.com and the Moto E is $33 on Walmart.com

RuGalz

Been using Adguard for a while now, I haven't had the need to root since then. It works well when you don't need to use VPN. The fallback method is a bit less reliable. Of course it's annoying having to turn it off manually for websites you want the ad to go through compared to browser solutions but it's not too bad since it's in the notification.

Mindwipe

They need to get on better battery statistics (since that API was blocked for security reasons the information the OS presents isn't good enough, especially when the worst offenders hide behind Play Services) and the backup situation is still not right. One touch backup of things like SMS and the downloads folder shouldn't be as hard to do as it is.

Also I can completely understand why some people feel they need to get rid of pre-installed crapware, though I tend to buy devices that aren't screwed that way.

j-wood

Alright Android GAF. I found someone to buy my Nexus 6.

Before I order the 6p, what are the bluetooth issues I hear about? i listen to music so much, so it's important the quality is good in this area. I use a set of Beats solo 2 for wired, and jaybird X2/my car for bluetooth. Am I going to have problems, shitty quality?

Also will be using the phone on Verizon. No LTE issues there right?

Ixian

Alright Android GAF. I found someone to buy my Nexus 6.

Before I order the 6p, what are the bluetooth issues I hear about? i listen to music so much, so it's important the quality is good in this area. I use a set of Beats solo 2 for wired, and jaybird X2/my car for bluetooth. Am I going to have problems, shitty quality?

Also will be using the phone on Verizon. No LTE issues there right?
The only things I use Bluetooth for on my phone are my watch and connecting to my car's audio system for podcasts / music / navigation. With the Nexus 6P, it takes about 30 seconds to a minute for audio to actually start piping through the Bluetooth. At first I thought it was just an app issue until I noticed it happening with turn-by-turn directions from Google Maps as well. I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and audio starts playing over Bluetooth as soon as I press Play.

Not sure if the new 6P update resolves this issue as it's sitting in a box waiting to be sold now.

j-wood

The only things I use Bluetooth for on my phone are my watch and connecting to my car's audio system for podcasts / music / navigation. With the Nexus 6P, it takes about 30 seconds to a minute for audio to actually start piping through the Bluetooth. At first I thought it was just an app issue until I noticed it happening with turn-by-turn directions from Google Maps as well. I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and audio starts playing over Bluetooth as soon as I press Play.

Not sure if the new 6P update resolves this issue as it's sitting in a box waiting to be sold now.

Do you mean in terms of connecting? Or there is an audio delay? My nexus 6 takes like 20-30 seconds to fully connect for bluetooth audio too.

Ixian

Do you mean in terms of connecting? Or there is an audio delay? My nexus 6 takes like 20-30 seconds to fully connect for bluetooth audio too.
It connects pretty much instantly (and by connect I mean if I look on the phone, it'll say it's connected to the device).

Quixzlizx

Newegg matched the B&H 6P deal, so I don't have to buy from them and get a useless B&H gift card. $50 off, plus no tax, plus $50 gift card for a store I actually like, was just too good to pass up. I've been dying for another 6P sale for a while, I like my 5X a lot, but it definitely has shortcomings, where the 6P seems to be just about the most well-rounded Android device ever. Looking forward to the screen size and resolution upgrade, extra gig of ram, processor upgrade, stereo speakers, and premium build.

Oh, another benefit of buying on Newegg; the order instantly qualifies you for a free year of Shoprunner, if you're a new member. Now I'm bummed that Dominoes stopped using them, lol. Also, Newegg says the gift card will be emailed within 4 days of invoice, so if anyone wants to buy my $50 GC for $35 to apply to this deal up front, let me know. Then sell your GC and it'll be like you got a $65 GC.

God damn, and I don't get charged tax for Newegg, either. I want to wait for the s820 Nexus, but don't know if I can resist this deal.

j-wood

Welp, Nexus 6p ordered, with nexus protect. Getting it for about 300 counting the sale of my N6.

Come on google, ship already!

Chorazin

Google told me it would be 3-5 business days before they could resolve the issue with my Dev discount code being used....so I just requested one with my secondary Google account and ordered the Pixel C through that. Should be have it Wed or Thursday, gonna hop on the N train the second I have it.

Just saw on Slickdeals that the MotoX Pure Edition 16GB is down to $300 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013SEXKI8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think I posted that on SD :D

It's a toss up between that and the 5X being the better phone especially with the performance optimization Google just pushed to the 5X. I think the 5X has better innovative hardware (fingerprint, USB C), but I'm a huge fan of Motos software features

I lol'd

2016-03-11.jpg

I think it'll be 429 in a month

ctfg23

So just tried to use multiwindow with YouTube on my Pixel

Got YouTube on one side and chrome on the other and YouTube plays fine....until you move on chrome then it stops playing :(

Happens on the 6P swell...damn I hope that's just a bug it's mainly what I want multiwindow for.

I highly suspect that may be on purpose because of YouTube Red. They also disabled picture-in-picture for Youtube on iOS because it would be a way around that IIRC.
I have YouTube Red and it still stops when I interact with the other window. I'm pretty sure it's a bug (although wouldn't be surprised if they disabled it for people without YT Red).

Why would Samsung allow that?

allow carriers to put on apps that let you pay your bills and view your balance and services and tell you to occasionally restart your phone as part of a troubleshooting guide in the app? because they're not Apple.

in that case they'll just tell you over the phone, in person or on the website.

they do the same thing with ... every electronic device ever.

"my ___ isn't ..." 'did you restart it?'

thuway

Honestly I don't know know why Samsung just doesn't offer a stock android option for their mainline phones. They'd sell boatloads.

People in the united States are too lazy/stupid to do any work on their own. If they can't mindlessly pickup a phone from the carrier store they aren't going to buy it.

I think the Nexus phones this year would have actually sold well due to all the advertising. The fact that it wasn't in carrier stores improved the phone experience but ruined sales.

US carriers fucking suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom