• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's definitely a ton of bugs with N when it comes to split screen. Been using it a lot lately and just switching apps or closing the multi window mode can cause apps to crash all the time and even crash the entire tablet. Still worth keeping for me as I fookin hate switching between hangouts/browser.

Ty4on

i used to have sick uptimes with Win9x
Early versions of Win98 had a memory leak that crashed the system after 50 days though :p

I don't remember what it was, but I think around Vista-7 a change made it so individual programs were much less likely to crash the system. I never ran XP on proper HW though and when I used 98 I was way too young to notice stability issues.

Groof

The N preview is running fairly alright. Some apps are messy though, regular reboots is key. Shame it doesn't keep sRGB mode on reboot anymore tho

Got the Android 6.0 update through at last for my Moto G gen 2.

Question: if I integrate my MSD card into the system memory, I understand it's locked to my phone. When I sell my current phone, how do I unpair the card from my phone?

http://nextradioapp.com/supported-devices/

the Kyocera Hydro Vibe is $30 on Virginmobile.com and the Moto E is $33 on Walmart.com

Thanks for this! I'll probably get the Moto E.

As an aside, it's kind of mindblowing that you can get a device like this for so cheap nowadays. I almost feel like it's totally wasteful to use a device that can do GPS and run apps and connect to the Internet as a mere FM radio, but you can argue that every piece of electronics wastes silicon. Maybe one day I'll buy an Android phone just to use as a replacement desk clock, lol.

Noema

Got the Android 6.0 update through at last for my Moto G gen 2.

Question: if I integrate my MSD card into the system memory, I understand it's locked to my phone. When I sell my current phone, how do I unpair the card from my phone?

Just make sure to move any important data someplace else and reformat it.

Reading a lot about N seems like they are incorporating a lot of the CM features and other popular apps features into the OS, akin to the iOS approach. Very nice for them to be responsive to the needs of the community.

I'm glad that after 4 years Google finally figured out how multi-window works and is making it a base OS feature!

Can anyone with a 5X comment on the latest performance update? I'm waiting to take advantage of the Project Fi deal and finally get rid of my iphone when the frost comes back in stock.

Husker86

Unenrolling in the Android N beta is sure a hell of a lot slower than enrolling! Phone still thinks it's in the beta after 5 hours.

Thanks for this! I'll probably get the Moto E.

As an aside, it's kind of mindblowing that you can get a device like this for so cheap nowadays. I almost feel like it's totally wasteful to use a device that can do GPS and run apps and connect to the Internet as a mere FM radio, but you can argue that every piece of electronics wastes silicon. Maybe one day I'll buy an Android phone just to use as a replacement desk clock, lol.

i use my Note II as an alarm clock/internet radio/white noise machine

wilflare

Is it safe to just install the OTA update after unenrolling from the beta?
I didn't try the beta at all... would installing the OTA update still wipe everything on the phone?

DagsJT

Rs Browser is broken on my S6 running Marshmallow. Formatting issues, black lines randomly appearing all over the place. Chrome itself works fine.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but..

My Nexus 5 recently stopped working (it freezes after a couple of minutes and then reboots, none of the places I went to seemed to be able to fix it), so I wanted to buy a new phone.

The Nexus 5 was my favourite phone ever, so I was thinking about the 5X but it's quite expensive and also a bit too big for my tastes (note that I'm not in the US/Canada so the new cheaper price does not apply, and I do need to buy it now).

Another option is buying a new Nexus 5 - they're on amazon for $225/$240. They also have a refurbished Nexus 5 which is super tempting at 32GB for $160. It is of course a risk but I might risk it at that price.

What are your thoughts? A totally different phone at a similar price/size? Stay away from refurbished?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but..

My Nexus 5 recently stopped working (it freezes after a couple of minutes and then reboots, none of the places I went to seemed to be able to fix it), so I wanted to buy a new phone.

The Nexus 5 was my favourite phone ever, so I was thinking about the 5X but it's quite expensive and also a bit too big for my tastes (note that I'm not in the US/Canada so the new cheaper price does not apply, and I do need to buy it now).

Another option is buying a new Nexus 5 - they're on amazon for $225/$240. They also have a refurbished Nexus 5 which is super tempting at 32GB for $160. It is of course a risk but I might risk it at that price.

What are your thoughts? A totally different phone at a similar price/size? Stay away from refurbished?
First of all, the 5X is insanely expensive in Canada, so I take offense to that :p

I feel like spending that much on a nexus 5 these days is a bit extreme considering how dated it is, despite being a great phone. If size is a concern and you're willing to roll the dice. Check out the One Plus X.

I'd stay away from refurbished for android personally.

wilflare

just updated to the March update (via fastboot) on my 6P
not sure if it's placebo but phone is smoother now :3

hope it does something for the battery life :/

grkazan12

Got on that Pixel C deal last week, first time jumping into an android tablet. Is it any good? I heard it was improved with recent updates.

Chorazin

Got on that Pixel C deal last week, first time jumping into an android tablet. Is it any good? I heard it was improved with recent updates.

I've been using them for years. Until N comes out (or if you jump into the developer version) it's best if you treat an Android tablet like a giant phone.

Jumped on the Pixel as well, I'm looking forward to it!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is the Pixel C good? It seems to have hardware issues, like screen blur and input lag. Thoughts?

just updated to the March update (via fastboot) on my 6P
not sure if it's placebo but phone is smoother now :3

hope it does something for the battery life :/
It's a legit update. There's no placebo.

Is the Pixel C good? It seems to have hardware issues, like screen blur and input lag. Thoughts?

It's a legit update. There's no placebo.

My iPad 4 is dying and thanks to your post, I was considering an Android tablet as a replacement (because I'm cheap and an idiot). I guess I completely ignored this device and its price. 549€ for a Pixel C, holy hell.

And I guess unless you buy Google hardware, the update situation on Android tablets is even worse.

Prefer smaller form-factors for Android. Which reminds me, we're due a Nexus 7.

My iPad 4 is dying and thanks to your post, I was an Android tablet as a replacement (because I'm cheap and an idiot). I guess I completely ignored this device and its price. 549€ for a Pixel C, holy hell.

And I guess unless you buy Google hardware, the update situation on Android tablets is even worse.

What do you use a tablet for?

teiresias

Is anyone having issues with Play Music on Android? Suddenly all the art in the app is gonna - both album art and art for stations. Everything still plays fine, but all the art is gone. Everything is fine in the web interface.

yyzjohn

Banned
Is anyone having issues with Play Music on Android? Suddenly all the art in the app is gonna - both album art and art for stations. Everything still plays fine, but all the art is gone. Everything is fine in the web interface.

ZH6qyrW.jpg

Seems fine to me

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My iPad 4 is dying and thanks to your post, I was considering an Android tablet as a replacement (because I'm cheap and an idiot). I guess I completely ignored this device and its price. 549€ for a Pixel C, holy hell.

Yep. I have resigned to being stuck on Lollipop for my Zenpad. Which sucks. The Nexus 9 is a major let down.

What do you use a tablet for?

Browsing the web and IM, that's it. I stopped actively using apps for every little thing a while ago and have no need for them. I sometimes still do on my current iPad, but that's because it shits the bed, if I keep using the browser. Anything else, like Spotify, Pocket Casts or VLC I consider passive usage (= consuming content, not doing anything on it). That's why I'm thinking that another iPad would be a waste of money, if I could get the same experience for less.

But the OEM support seems garbage on the Android side and seeing how Google is still committed to improve the OS, I'm not sure if I want to be left out. Still, visually, iOS looks like a mess and I wouldn't mind more of that material design goodness in my life. But not at the expense of good support.

Yep. I have resigned to being stuck on Lollipop for my Zenpad. Which sucks. The Nexus 9 is a major let down.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I couldn't imagine owning an Android tablet and not getting all the improvements that come to the tablet side with Android N. I was already super pissed that my iPad wasn't getting PiP for videos and night mode, but at least I can understand Apple pushing current hardware over 4 year old hardware. Night mode is not excusable, but I can understand it. The ZenPad however came out in 2015, a couple of months before 6.0 launched. Why the hell wouldn't it get it?

Bboy AJ

Because they're dirt bags. We use a tablet for the same reasons. I'm super casual on it. So updates are not a major deal. Until N. I want that multi-window support. That's a must and a huge game changer. I'll be able to use messenger and web browser at once. Or video and web. I need that.

diaspora

Because they're dirt bags. We use a tablet for the same reasons. I'm super casual on it. So updates are not a major deal. Until N. I want that multi-window support. That's a must and a huge game changer. I'll be able to use messenger and web browser at once. Or video and web. I need that.

Samsung tablets have done this for a while iirc.

Browsing the web and IM, that's it. I stopped actively using apps for every little thing a while ago and have no need for them. I sometimes still do on my current iPad, but that's because it shits the bed, if I keep using the browser. Anything else, like Spotify, Pocket Casts or VLC I consider passive usage (= consuming content, not doing anything on it). That's why I'm thinking that another iPad would be a waste of money, if I could get the same experience for less.

But the OEM support seems garbage on the Android side and seeing how Google is still committed to improve the OS, I'm not sure if I want to be left out. Still, visually, iOS looks like a mess and I wouldn't mind more of that material design goodness in my life. But not at the expense of good support.

Maybe Windows would be an option then? Far longer tail for support than any mobile OS. VLC app exists (as well as the desktop one), not sure how touch-friendly Spotify is (don't use it personally), podcast apps aplenty. Available for very little too. Or spend more - the right one can, in many cases, completely replace your laptop.

What's the budget and the country?

Example of a cheap one - ASUS Transformer Book. 1920x1200 display, Windows 10 signature (bloat free), Intel Atom, 10 hours battery life, keyboard dock included. $279. Storage is low, but MicroSD cards are ridiculously cheap these days.

Maybe Windows would be an option then? Far longer tail for support than any mobile OS. VLC app exists (as well as the desktop one), not sure how touch-friendly Spotify is (don't use it personally), podcast apps aplenty. Available for very little too. Or spend more - the right one can, in many cases, completely replace your laptop.

What's the budget and the country?

I'm definitely considering Windows, although I'm not really a fan of it for tablet purposes, especially not since Windows 10. They also get a lot more expensive for me, because I want to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio or similar and that's not debatable. So that leaves me basically only with a Surface 3 in the lower price range.

But please, don't misunderstand me. I don't want to waste your time. I'm not actively looking for a tablet right now and can afford to wait a couple of months. Right now, the battery in my iPad can hold a charge for 1 1/2 days on lowest brightness, which annoys me the most, but it's still usable (again, I bought it at launch in 2012). The crashing browser and sluggish performance is bad, too, but again, I can afford to wait.

Apple might show something worthwhile for once, maybe Microsoft can surprise with a Surface 4 announcement as well and when N releases, Google could have some good hardware as well. My iPad is dying, but it's a slow death and unless it explodes in my face, I can wait till Summer.

Nikodemos

Frankly, from what I've seen, when it comes to tablets Apple can't be beaten. I generally dislike iOS, especially on phones, but all Android tablets I've used so far (admittedly primarily at work) were simply inferior to the Air 2. The only reasons I'd consider a Z4 Tab over it are a) my fear of random droplets destroying my expensive toy and b) Apple's extortionate pricing of internal storage (all hail Marshmallow).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom