• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
Frankly, from what I've seen, when it comes to tablets Apple can't be beaten. I generally dislike iOS, especially on phones, but all Android tablets I've used so far (admittedly primarily at work) were simply inferior to the Air 2. The only reasons I'd consider a Z4 Tab over it are a) my fear of random droplets destroying my expensive toy and b) Apple's extortionate pricing of internal storage (all hail Marshmallow).

One of the most important tablet apps for me is ps4 remote play, which does not have an iOS app. I actually prefer iOS multiwindow to Samsung's but the main thing I use a tablet for are the remote play, web browsing, and streaming video. With all these in minds, I don't a shit about the iOS's app selection, even with gaming.

Nikodemos

I specifically avoided discussing apps since I'm aware everybody wants different things from their device(s). I was referring to general smoothness and performance.

Umibozu

Hi everyone.
Ran into my first problem with my new note 5 that I bought over 2 months ago. Yesterday I tried using the front facing camera and it said 'warning: camera failed' and then it refused to open afterwards. I haven't dropped it and I didn't download any apps in between from when it worked to when it stopped working.
I tried deleting the camera data/cache and then restarting my phone but as soon as I switch to the front facing camera the same pop up shows and refuses to open. I also tried deleting recent apps I downloaded and it didn't help.

Would this be a hardware or software problem?
I bought an unlocked model so I can't go to my service provider. The only options left I can think of is to do a factory reset or send it into samsung for repair, but before I try either I was wondering if anyone in here had any thoughts.

Not a new debate but I dont see why everyone is hating on HTC when literally no OEM is doing it right.

Samsung could have had something if they would have offered an unlocked phone. At least HTC will probably do that. I'm also not seeing why the G5 will be that much better than the HTC 10 other than camera. LG's UI is ugly as sin.

As long as HTC doesnt have quality control issues I am all over their next Nexus.

I'm expecting the LG G5 to be a disaster so I can certainly see the HTC 10 being the better phone of the two. The G5 is an oversized monstrosity being somehow taller and nearly as wide as the G4 except with a smaller display. They also shrunk the battery size when the G4 already had crap battery, and I would also be worried about the quality of the device given the rampant issues the G4 suffered from. It feels like they made a lot of compromises so they could have a gimmicky module system that will probably be priced too high.

I didn't even mention the fact that LG has without a doubt the worst software out of any OEM at the moment. They are at the level Samsung used to be at before they tried to get that act cleaned up.

T-Mobile Galaxy S7 Edge has locked bootloader. Get fucked Samsung. Time to scratch that phone off the list.

Wow. The Un-Carrier joins the ranks of Carriers AT&T and Verizon in locking bootloaders? That's actually a really really big deal if it's true...we need confirmation.

edit:

Confirmed on XDA
http://www.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7-bootloader-lock-explained-you-might-not-get-aosp-after-all/

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S7 + S7 Edge now join the ranks of AT&T and Verizon Samsung devices with locked bootloaders. Welcome to No-Root Hell, Un-Carrier customers.

edit2:

Based on a thread on the Sprint S7 forum, it also has a locked bootloader.

All NA Galaxy S7 variants (SD820) have a locked bootloader.

We're all fucked in North America.

P.S. S7 International (Exynos 8890) variants have a root already. LMAO

Wow. The Un-Carrier joins the ranks of Carriers AT&T and Verizon in locking bootloaders? That's actually a really really big deal if it's true...we need confirmation.

edit:

Confirmed on XDA
http://www.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7-bootloader-lock-explained-you-might-not-get-aosp-after-all/

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S7 + S7 Edge now join the ranks of AT&T and Verizon Samsung devices with locked bootloaders. Welcome to No-Root Hell, Un-Carrier customers.

edit2:

Well, I guess there is one reason to be happy with the Exynos variant over the SD. Not a reason for me, but it's one nonetheless.

Nikodemos

I didn't even mention the fact that LG has without a doubt the worst software out of any OEM at the moment. They are at the level Samsung used to be at before they tried to get that act cleaned up.
Yup. IMHO, LG's UI is inferior to everybody else's. Ironically, despite the blah-ness of their recent phones, HTC have a pretty good UI. I really like the single panel sliding app list; definitely not a fan of paged views.

Also, lel, Samsung.

Chorazin

Samsung's trying to push Samsung Pay as being the most secure mobile payment, I'm not surprised it's locked down to hell and back. Really doesn't bother me, but it sucks for those it does.

Whaaaat, no! And to think a few days ago I said that I'll give in and get the Note 6 if it has an SD card slot, even with a non-removable battery. If this is really the direction Samsung is going in with the Note and their future phones, then I'll just get a Note 4 and stay on it forever.

More realistically, I'll likely try and find another big screened phone with an SD card that I can install CyanogenMod on, and then get an Android or Windows tablet with a stylus for drawing.

Mindwipe

I specifically avoided discussing apps since I'm aware everybody wants different things from their device(s). I was referring to general smoothness and performance.

Smoothness and performance are only worth so much compared to basic functionality.

Android is way better to actually use on a tablet because it has an accessible file system.

That said, I was really hoping for robust pen support in N. Because now we're left with piecemeal badly supported OEM solutions that are not going to be competitive with iOS, and an iPad with pen support, if it remains £400, is going to be very, very tempting.

thenexus6

Been out of the phone loop for a while, my headphone jack is going on my Z1 compact so might have to replace it soon.

Requirements
- 5 inch
- 16 + micro SD
- Android N
- Between £120-150

I am not a heavy user - chromecast, social networks, music and podcasts.

Any suggestions?

Mindwipe

Been out of the phone loop for a while, my headphone jack is going on my Z1 compact so might have to replace it soon.

Requirements
- 5 inch
- 16 + micro SD
- Android N
- Between £120-150

Any suggestions?

No phones have been confirmed to get N yet as far as I know. Certainly nothing of five inches or less.

You might be able to find a Z3C refurb at that price, but it's pushing it. A Moto G, but no guarantees on N? Even that's probably 5.2 inches now.

Requirements
- 5 inch
- 16 + micro SD
- Android N
- Between £120-150

Any suggestions?

Honesty, you probably need a bigger budget if you want a decent chance of updates. The OnePlus X does everything you want, but is £200 at the moment. Not sure if it's ever been on sale in the UK.

thenexus6

No phones have been confirmed to get N yet as far as I know. Certainly nothing of five inches or less.

You might be able to find a Z3C refurb at that price, but it's pushing it. A Moto G, but no guarantees on N? Even that's probably 5.2 inches now.

I meant M. I have found two Z3 phones for sale at £150 so I might bite on one of those..

android file transfer for mac is a fucking shit show

Yeah its ass. Thankfully I just use micro SD for music now so never have to use that app again.

edit:

Confirmed on XDA

edit2:

You know Canada is part of North America right? And you know the Canadian S7 doesnt use the SD820 right?

We're not all fucked in North America. The states is fucked.

Wreav

Banned
M10 will be better than G5.

image.php

reKon

Banned
The locked bootloader really sucks. Don't really care though because I can't get company e-mail on a rooted phone due to restrictions from our IT department.

Groof

so i rolled back from the N preview. that shit was infuriating, not even close to daily driver material.

this march update on the 6p though unf unf unf

but will they release anything useful when it comes to source drops?

Exynos Galaxy S variants have always had a big and busy dev community, as they are the variants used by the entire world ex-US and a few specific territories (China CDMA springs to mind). Despite Samsung's habit of releasing half-blob code drops which only barely qualify as being GPL-compliant, this community has always existed because there are so many of these phones worldwide.

SD Galaxy S variants have always had a smaller dev community because only T-Mobile and Sprint (and Verizon "Developer Edition") devices could even be rooted and custom ROMs flashed, that's entirely gone now for SD and I expect for this reason there will be NO dev community whatsoever going forward for SD variants since their bootloaders are all locked.

Ty4on

This is true. I don't even have it installed anymore and just deal with using adb to transfer stuff.

How is file transfer with more android modern phones?

I plug mine in as a drag and drop device and it will occasionally just bug out and freeze the window on top of being really slow. I'm hoping USB3 fixes the latter one.

Have a couple questions here. I'm either buying a Nexus 5X or a Moto X Pure.

1. Since WIfi calling isn't included on the Pure, anyone here used "Hangouts Dialer" as a primary dialer?

2. Is it a smooth transition in the middle of a call? I've never gotten it to work properly on my iphone so if it doesn't no big deal. But at home and work I NEED Wifi calling. Cement building, brick apartment. It sucks, but getting better heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom