• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Heh, so N is definitely no good for daily use? Glad I waited. Like I said, the March 6P update is fantastic.

Saiyan-Rox

so i rolled back from the N preview. that shit was infuriating, not even close to daily driver material.

this march update on the 6p though unf unf unf

Only major issue I've had is with battery tbh but everyone is prasing this March update so I might rollback to see what the fuss is.

Groof

i had the N preview lock up on me, apps taking forever to open and switch between, lag and once even the system ui kept force closing over and over and i had to hard reset.

could have been because i didn't factory reset after the update, but eh. i'll wait and see what happens with next month's update.

Hasney

Only issue I have with N now is Chrome locks up overnight for some reason and have to force quit it. Everything else is smooth as silk.

HawkeyeIC

Only issue I have with N now is Chrome locks up overnight for some reason and have to force quit it. Everything else is smooth as silk.

Probably not even a 'N' issue. If the 'O' release is simply a non-shitty Chrome with no other changes, I'll be happy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
i had the N preview lock up on me, apps taking forever to open and switch between, lag and once even the system ui kept force closing over and over and i had to hard reset.

could have been because i didn't factory reset after the update, but eh. i'll wait and see what happens with next month's update.
Dirty flash? Ah, that's probably the reason you weren't able to daily drive it. Just like L preview, just like M preview.

Previews are so awesome. I'm so happy Google started it. I especially love how they launched it. They just did it. No stupid keynote or major fanfare. It just went out. That's how you do it. Today's keynotes are just plain awful and unnecessary. They're deserved once in awhile, like totally new hardware, but stuff like iPad version faster is such a waste of time.

reKon

Banned
Well this is one bizarre day. T-Mobile CEO John Legere is going to bat for the SD820 Galaxy S7. Maybe the Un-Carrier doesn't want to be the bad guys after all.

http://www.xda-developers.com/unlikeliest-of-heroes-john-legere-working-to-free-the-s7/

I might have to switch to T-Mobile sooner than I thought. I wonder if they have LTE out here where I live yet.

they probably do if you're in the US, you should check their coverage map. I was clearly snoozing and completely missed out on how much shit they turned on last year.

they probably do if you're in the US, you should check their coverage map. I was clearly snoozing and completely missed out on how much shit they turned on last year.

So was I. The LTE coverage that T-Mobile has now is actually impressive, and they do cover my town and the places I work. There was a time not even that long ago when it was Verizon or nothing in my town.

I really should think of switching, they even pay off the ETFs!

Chrome on the Nexus 5x is a mess on N. I also couldn't use HBO Go on N so I just went back to M. Holy shit this March update is smooth. Chrome is much better. Now to see how it holds up after a week of uptime.

ctfg23

On Chrome on my 6P I keep getting a warning that WebGL "hit a snag". Anyone know how to fix this? It seems to have just started after I rolled back from the N beta.

On Chrome on my 6P I keep getting a warning that WebGL "hit a snag". Anyone know how to fix this? It seems to have just started after I rolled back from the N beta.
That's a problem with certain websites and how they render. There's a few sites it will always say that to me you can just ignore it as it will constantly happen on that site

Ixian

T-Mobile is pretty legit these days, they were my first carrier way back before the first iPhone and a little bit into that era but I ended up switching due to service. Finally moved from Verizon back to T-Mobile last year when my girlfriend and I decided to get a family plan together; now we have two more people on our family plan and pay $120 for 4 lines with 10 GB each (not a shared bucket, each).

Groof

Dirty flash? Ah, that's probably the reason you weren't able to daily drive it. Just like L preview, just like M preview.

Previews are so awesome. I'm so happy Google started it. I especially love how they launched it. They just did it. No stupid keynote or major fanfare. It just went out. That's how you do it. Today's keynotes are just plain awful and unnecessary. They're deserved once in awhile, like totally new hardware, but stuff like iPad version faster is such a waste of time.

no it was the OTA. either way, i'm kind of glad i did this because the forced reset from rolling back fixed a couple of issues i had before too so i'm happy

Hangouts for IOS now allows you to send videos... This is embarrassing. You would think Google would eventually care about catching the Android team up.

It's bad enough iMessage has had this feature so long...

No reason to hold back iOS development just so the few petty people who demand they get features first can be appeased. They have separate teams working for iOS and Android and it isn't rocket science that the iOS version of any app is going to be developed faster since they aren't optimizing it for as many devices.

No reason to hold back iOS development just so the few petty people who demand they get features first can be appeased. They have separate teams working for iOS and Android and it isn't rocket science that the iOS version of any app is going to be developed faster since they aren't optimizing it for as many devices.

1. Your attitude is petty.
2. Holding up the IOS version is not the only way to bring parity to the teams. Its google, they can afford to grow the Android Hangouts team.
3. You are a wrong if you think the reason why Android Hangouts has been behind for ages is because there are more devices to optimize. The team has been dogging it forever. Ever heard of apps like Google Maps, Gmail, Drive, Calender, Docs, Keep, Photos which all are leading their IOS versions?
4. Its not about a few petty users. Its about brand perception. Hangouts is used in the business world heavily. People notice when one phone cant do the same thing a coworkers can. Google wants Android to be the best and sell the most.

1. Your attitude is petty.
2. Holding up the IOS version is not the only way to bring parity to the teams. Its google, they can afford to grow the Android Hangouts team.
3. You are a wrong if you think the reason why Android Hangouts has been behind for ages is because there are more devices to optimize. The team has been dogging it forever. Ever heard of apps like Google Maps, Gmail, Drive, Calender, Docs, Keep, Photos which all are leading their IOS versions?
4. Hangouts is used in the business world heavily. People notice when one phone cant do the same thing a coworkers can. Its about brand perception. Google wants Android to be the best and sell the most.
Reasonably speaking it would just be plain silly to higher more developers just to accelerate app development by a few weeks. I am confident Google already has large software teams so the solution to just throw more money at a problem is dumb. Doing it "forever" doesn't change anything. Every time they push a new app update out they probably have to run-test it on dozens upon dozens of different devices making sure there are no compatibility issues or bugs specific to that hardware. If anything it probably just gets harder as time goes on and more phones come out alongside newer versions of Android.

Honestly I just find the whole argument silly. People crying on Reddit "Google doesn't care" because they push out iOS app updates faster than Android is dumb as hell.

Reasonably speaking it would just be plain silly to higher more developers just to accelerate app development by a few weeks. I am confident Google already has large software teams so the solution to just throw more money at a problem is dumb. Doing it "forever" doesn't change anything. Every time they push a new app update out they probably have to run-test it on dozens upon dozens of different devices making sure there are no compatibility issues or bugs specific to that hardware. If anything it probably just gets harder as time goes on and more phones come out alongside newer versions of Android.

Honestly I just find the whole argument silly. People crying on Reddit "Google doesn't care" because they push out iOS app updates faster than Android is dumb as hell.

It doesn't stem from the iPhone getting features before the Android version. It all started because the Android team was so bad that Hangouts was basically an unusable piece of shit for 2 years while the IOS version worked fine. People are rightfully bitter.

Dobsie

So with dual window coming in Android N I assume the minimum specs to run it smoothly will be bumped up. Tempted to get a 5x but don't think 2gb of ram will cut it when its on N.

Mindwipe

So with dual window coming in Android N I assume the minimum specs to run it smoothly will be bumped up. Tempted to get a 5x but don't think 2gb of ram will cut it when its on N.

Depends on what you're doing. In most cases not significantly - the reason videos aren't working on split screen apps at present until developers update them is because the OS pauses most of the app that's not currently in focus, and will only activate the relevant sections. So a developer needs to activate the relevant section specifically.

If that's video, then the decode is done by the hardware decoder in the processor and doesn't really need to touch the RAM much at all.

If you try and run a 3D game next to a Twitch commentary feed you're more likely to hit issues. But for the most part RAM won't be as big a concern as other factors (RAM issues on Android are hugely overstated. The problems are usually elsewhere).

Bboy AJ

Twitch runs p good

Dobsie

Depends on what you're doing. In most cases not significantly - the reason videos aren't working on split screen apps at present until developers update them is because the OS pauses most of the app that's not currently in focus, and will only activate the relevant sections. So a developer needs to activate the relevant section specifically.

If that's video, then the decode is done by the hardware decoder in the processor and doesn't really need to touch the RAM much at all.

If you try and run a 3D game next to a Twitch commentary feed you're more likely to hit issues. But for the most part RAM won't be as big a concern as other factors (RAM issues on Android are hugely overstated. The problems are usually elsewhere).
Interesting, think I'll hold out to see what this years nexi bring. This g2 is running like a champ on cm13.

Hasney

Feel like I want a bigger tablet than 7". Was thinking about a Surface Pro, but I don't want to pay that much for something that just replicates my already awesome laptop. Is the Pixel C worth a look?

Weirdly, although I'll never own an iPhone again, I'm tempted to see what the craic is with the iPad Air 3.

Bboy AJ

I have a laptop that's probably about eight years old. I installed Chrome OS on it. Runs p good. Much better than Ubuntu or Windows.

Lagamorph

After having it for a day, my Pixel C is already getting replaced under warranty.

Whenever I try to make a purchase of a paid app on it, I just get an error message "Error retrieving information from server [RPC:S-7:AEC-0]". Purchases work fine on my Nexus6P so the issue seems specific to the tablet. Downloading updates, pre-purchased apps or new Free apps works fine, error only happens when trying to make a purchase.
Have tried all the troubleshooting steps I can find online, clearing data from Play Store and Google Framework Services, no effect. Have removed my Google account from the device, rebooted and then re-added the account, no effect. Done a complete factory reset but still the same issue when I go to the Play Store and try to make a purchase of any paid for app.
I had several payment methods on my account, one of which was expired, but I've removed that and still the same error. I've got over £11 of credit on my Google account anyway and was only trying to purchase something that costs less than £3, so payment cards shouldn't have come into it.
Contacted Google Support and they called me back, said they're going to send a link for me to order a brand new device and instructions on returning the old one.

On the one hand, it doesn't seem like something that would be caused by a hardware issue. But on the other hand, it doesn't seem like an account issue since it's specific to just this one device. Looking around it seems this is a relatively common error, but just removing and re-adding the Google Account should normally fix it.
I'm not running a custom ROM or anything, not even rooted, just running the tablet as it comes (with updates installed)

Mindwipe

On the one hand, it doesn't seem like something that would be caused by a hardware issue. But on the other hand, it doesn't seem like an account issue since it's specific to just this one device. Looking around it seems this is a relatively common error, but just removing and re-adding the Google Account should normally fix it.
I'm not running a custom ROM or anything, not even rooted, just running the tablet as it comes (with updates installed)

Hardware storage of the Google root certificates could be corrupt. That's the only thing I can think of. Hopefully your replacement will work better.

(Really should have been caught by the SOC QC process tbh).

Lagamorph

Hardware storage of the Google root certificates could be corrupt. That's the only thing I can think of. Hopefully your replacement will work better.

(Really should have been caught by the SOC QC process tbh).

Certificates could be the issue given where the error happens. The error occurs at the stage the Play Store attempts to access my payment details. I get the usual prompt for Permissions, then when I accept those I get the error. On my 6P, accepting those brings up the details of my Google Play Balance and the Buy confirmation button.

It's just a bit disheartening, the tablet was a birthday gift from my parents and it makes me feel bad about it having to be replaced, since I know they'll feel bad about it not working perfectly right away.

Chorazin

Certificates could be the issue given where the error happens. The error occurs at the stage the Play Store attempts to access my payment details. I get the usual prompt for Permissions, then when I accept those I get the error. On my 6P, accepting those brings up the details of my Google Play Balance and the Buy confirmation button.

It's just a bit disheartening, the tablet was a birthday gift from my parents and it makes me feel bad about it having to be replaced, since I know they'll feel bad about it not working perfectly right away.

Shit happens with tech, it sucks but it does. They're making good on it so don't worry about it so much, and tell them not to worry. At least you can still surf the web and whatever on it without apps.

Lagamorph

Shit happens with tech, it sucks but it does. They're making good on it so don't worry about it so much, and tell them not to worry. At least you can still surf the web and whatever on it without apps.

Yeah I can't complain too much about the way Google are handling things. They gave me the option of a refund or replacement device, so I went with replacement device. The way it worked is they just sent me a link to click that orders a new device, so at least it means I should get a sealed brand-new device rather than a refurb like some places try to pawn you off with.

Have ordered the replacement, then when it arrives I'll send back the old one. They said I've got 14 days to send the old one back so at least not in a huge rush to do that, and I can confirm the new one works first. Though if it too has the same issue then it would point back to some possible account weirdness, even though it works fine on my 6P.

this_guy

T-Mobile is pretty legit these days, they were my first carrier way back before the first iPhone and a little bit into that era but I ended up switching due to service. Finally moved from Verizon back to T-Mobile last year when my girlfriend and I decided to get a family plan together; now we have two more people on our family plan and pay $120 for 4 lines with 10 GB each (not a shared bucket, each).

I like Tmobile's plans and have switched to them recently, but it seems like there's a lot of places in Houston where I'm getting very slow data speeds. There's several places where I'm getting sub 1Mb/s download speeds. I'm probably going to swap carriers again (Moto X Pure works for all carriers luckily).

Saiyan-Rox

After having it for a day, my Pixel C is already getting replaced under warranty.

Whenever I try to make a purchase of a paid app on it, I just get an error message "Error retrieving information from server [RPC:S-7:AEC-0]". Purchases work fine on my Nexus6P so the issue seems specific to the tablet. Downloading updates, pre-purchased apps or new Free apps works fine, error only happens when trying to make a purchase.
Have tried all the troubleshooting steps I can find online, clearing data from Play Store and Google Framework Services, no effect. Have removed my Google account from the device, rebooted and then re-added the account, no effect. Done a complete factory reset but still the same issue when I go to the Play Store and try to make a purchase of any paid for app.
I had several payment methods on my account, one of which was expired, but I've removed that and still the same error. I've got over £11 of credit on my Google account anyway and was only trying to purchase something that costs less than £3, so payment cards shouldn't have come into it.
Contacted Google Support and they called me back, said they're going to send a link for me to order a brand new device and instructions on returning the old one.

I used to have this issue when flashing custom ROMS I couldn't do anything with the play store at all. I take it you tried Factory Reset etc? for me when it happened I either had to wait for the play store to update/Kick in properly, Reflash the ROM or uninstall the playstore updates and update it manually.

Lagamorph

I used to have this issue when flashing custom ROMS I couldn't do anything with the play store at all. I take it you tried Factory Reset etc? for me when it happened I either had to wait for the play store to update/Kick in properly, Reflash the ROM or uninstall the playstore updates and update it manually.

Yep, did a factory reset but still the same issue. I'd never even rooted it, let alone flashed a custom ROM onto it.

Saiyan-Rox

Yep, did a factory reset but still the same issue. I'd never even rooted it, let alone flashed a custom ROM onto it.

Yeah it's a weird issue I haven't had it happen to me since the days of Jelly Bean but figured i'd ask anyway.

Out of curiosity hows the motion blur on your unit? mine is fricken awful but that could be partly to my eye sight. it's the main reason I haven't changed my TV yet as the one time I did the motion blur on it compared to my old one was insane.

Lagamorph

Yeah it's a weird issue I haven't had it happen to me since the days of Jelly Bean but figured i'd ask anyway.

Out of curiosity hows the motion blur on your unit? mine is fricken awful but that could be partly to my eye sight. it's the main reason I haven't changed my TV yet as the one time I did the motion blur on it compared to my old one was insane.

Can't say I've noticed any motion blur so far.

One weird thing I have noticed though is that if I enable Adaptive Brightness then the touchscreen becomes very unresponsive and I have to press down quite hard for it to register. As soon as I disable Adaptive Brightness again then it works fine.

JamzyT

Neo Member
"World First, World Class, Front and Back. You’ll see. #powerof10 "
CdmdG0tW4AAIEmW.jpg

https://twitter.com/htc/status/709771156895756289

z3phon

In the chrome app I used to have the back button next to the address bar, which for some reason is now missing. Anyone know how I can add it back?
I know I can use the back button at the bottom but I'd prefer having the one on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom