• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyan-Rox

Can't say I've noticed any motion blur so far.

One weird thing I have noticed though is that if I enable Adaptive Brightness then the touchscreen becomes very unresponsive and I have to press down quite hard for it to register. As soon as I disable Adaptive Brightness again then it works fine.

Could be my eye sight but it's there for me and quite bad

Can't say I've heard anything in regards to the adaptive brightness issue, is the tablet fully updated? the first build it came with the touchscreen was just completely fucked

Jigolo

😂 😂

It's only right that a gaffer where we hold the nexus of hardcore gamers reside would be the first time I ever hear of motion blur as an issue for a mobile/tablet display. Not saying you're wrong or anything, there are probably others who feel the same way and I have personally never ever touched a Pixel product before. But in the 9 years I've been reading the smartphone blogosphere, that is the first. It is only fitting, we are on NeoGAF after all.

ukas

Could be my eye sight but it's there for me and quite bad

Can't say I've heard anything in regards to the adaptive brightness issue, is the tablet fully updated? the first build it came with the touchscreen was just completely fucked

The only time that I notice it is scrolling quickly in Chrome, but it's very slight.

DagsJT

I've got a Nexus 10 heading my way in the next day or two. I'm not sure what the latest official OS is but is it worth putting on the latest Cyanogen Marshmallow build or is the stock fine?

j-wood

So I just got my Nexus 6p, straight from the Google store.

When I booted it, it prompted for the update to 6.0.1, which i did. After that, it prompted again for the Jan 2016 security update, which I did. Then the updates stopped, and it says my phone is up to date.

Clearly that's not true. What's the deal?

catmincer

"World First, World Class, Front and Back. You’ll see. #powerof10 "
CdmdG0tW4AAIEmW.jpg

https://twitter.com/htc/status/709771156895756289

I'll believe it when I see it.

The m9/variants camera is really good in bright light. I've taken some nice photos from it but at night, it is useless. It takes forever to focus and photos are blurry.

reKon

Banned

When I booted it, it prompted for the update to 6.0.1, which i did. After that, it prompted again for the Jan 2016 security update, which I did. Then the updates stopped, and it says my phone is up to date.

at the end of the queue!

Jigolo

I just got my monthly security to my Nexus 5 1 hour ago. It'll come

Just chill

JamzyT

Neo Member

The m9/variants camera is really good in bright light. I've taken some nice photos from it but at night, it is useless. It takes forever to focus and photos are blurry.
Hardwares definitely there for the M10

IMX377 + OIS + LAF + PDAF

But the software is the question, they've shown improvement with the A9 from what I hear.

Im optimistic they'll actually have a good camera.

You have to manual focus for it to actually work in even somewhat dim conditions. It's annoying as fuck.

this_guy

But the software is the question, they've shown improvement with the A9 from what I hear.

That's the Nexus 6p/5x camera sensor so it should be a solid camera with good low light capability. Of course what HTC does with it will determine if it's better or worse than the Nexus phones.

I do quite a bit. What's the issue? The build quality or performance? I'll say the build quality leaves something to be desired. I haven't had any performance issues with it.

Performance. Especially with Chrome. Also, if you want to use multiple profiles which i do daily it cant keep up at all.

j-wood

I just got my monthly security to my Nexus 5 1 hour ago. It'll come

Just chill

I think you guys are missing what I'm saying. My phone stopped with the Jan update. It's not that I don't have the march update, it's that it's not pulling Feb either.

NotBacon

If the HTC Nexus comes out and has the signature triple chin, iPhone-clone body, or shitty camera hardware, then at least the 6P will probably be discounted a bit at that point.

I have a laptop that's probably about eight years old. I installed Chrome OS on it. Runs p good. Much better than Ubuntu or Windows.

Chromium OS? I've been meaning to give it a spin, and the UI seems wonderful, but I'm worried it'll be too restrictive. Can you access a terminal?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Performance. Especially with Chrome. Also, if you want to use multiple profiles which i do daily it cant keep up at all.

I can give you the performance issues with multiple profiles for sure. I haven't come across anything too crazy in Chrome. Even the gif dump that is the pics that make you laugh thread doesn't impact my chrome performance much.

For what I paid for the tablet, I believe it's a solid purchase.

Jigolo

If the HTC Nexus comes out and has the signature triple chin, iPhone-clone body, or shitty camera hardware, then at least the 6P will probably be discounted a bit at that point.
I hope it doesn't bear any resemblance to the recent leaks (at the very least not the front). I don't think it will though like last year the 5x and 6p hardly look like anything LG or Huawei put out that year

If that's true, then I will only get it if it has Snapdragon 820 & Android N automatically included (especially as I haven't owned a smartphone since the Samsung Galaxy S III).

If they don't, then it'll be the 6p for me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Chromium OS? I've been meaning to give it a spin, and the UI seems wonderful, but I'm worried it'll be too restrictive. Can you access a terminal?
It's not restrictive for me, since I know it's just a web browser. And it breathed life/Alexstrasza'd to an old af Sony Vaio TZ. I accessed a developer console but not sure about terminal. Haven't tried that.

catmincer

Yeah the A9 camera is decent from what I saw. Ois makes a difference.
You have to manual focus for it to actually work in even somewhat dim conditions. It's annoying as fuck.

Yes! Even manually it's pretty useless as any movement means it blurs anyway. I tend to just use the front camera at night as its better.

DeSo

Banned
Anyone else been having problems with sync? Haven't been getting Gmail notifications automatically, keep having to force sync.

BahamutPT

It feel like they will go for Nutella

Wasn't there a "(...) we're nut tellin'" tweet by an engineer or someone from the Android team? I think that "hint" probably makes it less likely to be Nutella, especially after all those fake hints for M, heh.

Quixzlizx

If that's true, then I will only get it if it has Snapdragon 820 & Android N automatically included (especially as I haven't owned a smartphone since the Samsung Galaxy S III).

If they don't, then it'll be the 6p for me.

It'll definitely have N, and almost certainly have the 820.

My Xperia Z5C just got the Marsh mellow update, and now pulling down my notification bar is SUPER slow, anyone else have this issue? is it a 6.0 issue or a Nova Launcher issue?

edit: looks like its a 6.0 issue with Nova. nevermind!

Chorazin

Got my Pixel C in today, like it a lot. No problems so far during setup and a little messing around with it, really feels like a big upgrade from my 9!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ha, yeah, I thought that was funny. But it seems like a good approach. It should solve both issues: The general lag of JIT and long install times of ART. Although I don't feel long install times are a big deal.

NotBacon

Ha, yeah, I thought that was funny. But it seems like a good approach. It should solve both issues: The general lag of JIT and long install times of ART. Although I don't feel long install times are a big deal.

Yeah hopefully the profiling will be good enough to hide the issues of each while exploiting their strengths. Install times weren't a big deal, but "Optimizing Apps..." was getting a little old.

Mindwipe

Pretty funny how moving to AOT compilation was such a big deal with ART, and now we're moving back to (mostly) JIT anyways.

I don't think it's mostly JIT. AOT will happen overnight while charging, and JIT will basically only happen in odd circumstances between installing an update and the first time you charge the device.

j-wood

I'm thinking about ordering a couple of additional things for my new Nexus 6p from the google store.

The case that has the microfiber and the single 15w charger (doesn't look like the cable detaches from this one?).

Anyone have those and can comment on quality?

Chorazin

The only time that I notice it is scrolling quickly in Chrome, but it's very slight.

I'm gonna try some FPS games on the Pixel C this weekend just to see if I notice any blur, the screen looked great from my limited time with it.

Damn that keyboard feels great though,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom