• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ixian

My Xperia Z5C just got the Marsh mellow update, and now pulling down my notification bar is SUPER slow, anyone else have this issue? is it a 6.0 issue or a Nova Launcher issue?

edit: looks like its a 6.0 issue with Nova. nevermind!
Weirdly it doesn't happen with Marshmallow-based versions of TouchWiz (at least on the Galaxy S7 Edge). Score one for Samsung! :p

RuGalz

Weirdly it doesn't happen with Marshmallow-based versions of TouchWiz (at least on the Galaxy S7 Edge). Score one for Samsung! :p

Not so fast! It's only slow with Nova on Marshmallow if you use gesture to pull it down from the middle of the screen. If you pull it down from the top like every other phone it's fine.

Ixian

Not so fast! It's only slow with Nova on Marshmallow if you use gesture to pull it down from the middle of the screen. If you pull it down from the top like every other phone it's fine.
Yes so fast! Prior to my Galaxy S7 Edge (with Nova) I was using a Nexus 6P with Nova so I know exactly what you're talking about. :p

Lnkn52

Anyone else been having problems with sync? Haven't been getting Gmail notifications automatically, keep having to force sync.

I was having issues with Inbox's notification. What I ended up doing was clearing the data and cache from Settings> Apps> Inbox (Gmail for your purpose)> Storage> Clear Data.

Wow due to the stupid work bug I've had for forever I almost couldn't download the OTA update as it required WiFi. The ota didn't recognize me being on WiFi unless I turned every WiFi setting known to man and then create a brand new WiFi connection just for the update

j-wood

I have a question about the USB C connection on the 6p.

Obviously I'm using the charger that came with the phone, and just bought a 2nd charger from the google store. I'm wondering if I can use my power bank though without damaging the phone? I've been reading about making sure to use the right cables and bricks and whatnot.

This is the bank I have:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MRD3R1M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I would be using the USB-A to USB C cable that came with the phone, but should I plug it into the 1 amp or 2.4 amp output? Does it matter?

Drifters

I have a question about the USB C connection on the 6p.

Obviously I'm using the charger that came with the phone, and just bought a 2nd charger from the google store. I'm wondering if I can use my power bank though without damaging the phone? I've been reading about making sure to use the right cables and bricks and whatnot.

This is the bank I have:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MRD3R1M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I would be using the USB-A to USB C cable that came with the phone, but should I plug it into the 1 amp or 2.4 amp output? Does it matter?
Doesn't matter. Will not charge fast but will still charge.

Anyone have Pixel C impressions after more recent software updates?

I am looking to order one with the dev promo code but I am still a bit concerned about performance. Especially while having two different users logged in.

This isnt helping my confidence either.
79661.png

I'm having a problem with my Nexus 6P.

Whenever I try to unlock the device, the screen just goes black as if I'd put it to sleep. Tried unlocking through PIN/fingerprint/trusted device, going straight to settings or other apps from the lockscreen like camera, same thing happens like clockwork.

I know it's otherwise running since I get all the app icons and notifications on the lockscreen itself, but I essentially can't access my phone!

Running on stock btw, have never messed with the OS etc. Have owned the phone for a few months, otherwise have had 0 complaints about it. :(

EDIT: Okay, so as far as I can tell this is fixed now. Culprit was the magnetic tab I'd placed in the back of the case for my car phone mount. It never gave me trouble since I started using it, but I should have known better I guess. If you run into this problem, remember this post I guess, haha.

ukas

I am looking to order one with the dev promo code but I am still a bit concerned about performance. Especially while having two different users logged in.

79661.png

I've already given you my experience with multiple accounts. Can't you return it within 30 days?

Hasney

Osiris clearly just waiting on that all important #HasneyHotTake. Well GOOD NEWS as I pulled the trigger on one this afternoon.

I've already given you my experience with multiple accounts. Can't you return it within 30 days?

Yes you have and thanks but I am looking for more. It is rare for people to use multiple profiles so I need more than one impression. And no offense but I have trouble trusting only one opinion since so many have said the 5x and 9 was smooth even though the 5x does seem better now.

I don't want to just order one and return it because its actually more for my girlfriend. Shes on the tablet more than I am so the feedback would have to come from her and I dont want to put her through it. Especially since she hates our Nexus 9 so much.

Osiris clearly just waiting on that all important #HasneyHotTake. Well GOOD NEWS as I pulled the trigger on one this afternoon.

Awesome! Beat the snot out of it and let us know.

79661.png

Interesting that it has the same NAND performance as the Nvidia Shield.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
We're only talking about the Pixel because that's how bad Android tablets are.

No Love

Banned

79661.png

Wow. Apple's stuff has SSD-speeds and all the rest are regular HDD's in comparison.

Yeah, going from the 6s+ to the S7 was shocking, watching how the whole OS locks down while an app is installing vs Apple being nearly instantaneous.

It's also why 95% of iOS devices are encrypted and like 3% of Android devices are. The performance gulf between Apple internal storage and Android internal storage is literally mechanical HDD vs. SSD. Google needs to get off their asses and address storage performance and whole device encryption performance on Android. Right now it's not a good look that losing your iOS device means you have to buy a new device. Oh well. Losing your Android device means your life might be ruined if someone maliciously uses your personal data on it.

Gattsu25

Banned
that good, bad, and ugly section tho, lmao

"No always-on "OK Google" support. The capability is here, but Samsung limited it to S-Voice only."

Wait...what? Been a while since I used a Samsung device, are they still pushing that half-arsed S Voice bollocks? And not just pushing, but limiting core OS functionality to push people toward it?

better is a funny word

Yeah, going from the 6s+ to the S7 was shocking, watching how the whole OS locks down while an app is installing vs Apple being nearly instantaneous.

Its not just about nand speed when installing apps. This is completely different with Android N and is extremely fast.
Google recently updated the ART compiler on N so it basically installs apps instantly like it used to with Dalvik. It was just Lollipop and Marshmallow that have the really sluggish app install.

Stats from Android police with a 6P on Android N. Keep in mind this is facebook apps which are the worst offenders by far. Typical apps on N actually install within 1 - 3 seconds.
Facebook Messenger:
Nexus 6P: 17 seconds
Galaxy S7: 45 seconds
Facebook:
Nexus 6P: 32 seconds
Galaxy S7: 3 minutes 21 seconds

Also if you guys wanna talk about sequential read speeds... here is a newer graph. Samsung has improved a ton from the S6 to the S7. The S6 isnt even encrypted in this graph and the S7 is.
80589.png

No Love

Banned
Its not just about nand speed when installing apps. This is completely different with Android N and is extremely fast.
Google recently updated the ART compiler on N so it basically installs apps instantly like it used to with Dalvik. It was just Lollipop and Marshmallow that have the really sluggish app install.

Stats from Android police with a 6P on Android N. Keep in mind this is facebook apps which are the worst offenders by far. Typical apps on N actually install within 1 - 3 seconds.
Facebook Messenger:
Facebook:

Also if you guys wanna talk about sequential read speeds... here is a newer graph. Samsung has improved a ton from the S6 to the S7. The S6 isnt even encrypted in this graph and the S7 is.
80589.png

Wow my G4 absolutely destroys the 5X and 6P. Wonder if the G5 will be even faster.

Looks like encryption is a disadvantage at this point. In a year or two Android devices should be at 6S+ NAND speeds even with encryption. Hopefully.

Poor Nexus 6 owners...

Nah, Samsung and Intel are making huge strides on NAND speeds. Android OEMS can basically be as fast as they want from Ive seen. They just need to stop being cheap but then everyone will cry when a Nexus phones are 600 dollars again.

Edit: You are right. It started rough but it looks like Androids encryption is finally improving. I just dont think this Apple advantage will last too much longer due to how fast NAND chips are improving.

BPK

Hey guys, I'm about to buy my first ever smartphone. My budget is about $500 Canadian ($380 USD) but I am willing to go as high as $600. Would the Nexus 5x be a good choice for a first-time user who otherwise loves gadgets or is there a better Android phone out there in my price range?

Nah, Samsung and Intel are making huge strides on NAND speeds. Android OEMS can basically be as fast as they want from Ive seen. They just need to stop being cheap but than everyone will cry when a Nexus phones are 600 dollars again.

Edit: You are right. It started rough but it looks like Androids encryption is finally improving. I just dont think this Apple advantage will last too much longer due to how fast NAND chips are improving.

This shit is moot when people use adoptable storage.

No Love

Banned
Nah, Samsung and Intel are making huge strides on NAND speeds. Android OEMS can basically be as fast as they want from Ive seen. They just need to stop being cheap but then everyone will cry when a Nexus phones are 600 dollars again.

Yeah with how cheap SSD's are, you'd think it'd be dirt cheap to put fast NAND in.

This shit is moot when people use adoptable storage.

How do you figure? SD cards are dogshit in comparison to internal NAND. Having mixed slow external storage and fast internal NAND is akin to using DDR3 + SRAM ala Xbox One vs all GDDR5 ala PS4. "Adoptable storage" is extremely flawed and counterproductive until SD cards aren't at a mere fraction of NAND speed.

Yeah with how cheap SSD's are, you'd think it'd be dirt cheap to put fast NAND in.

How do you figure? SD cards are dogshit in comparison to internal NAND. Having mixed slow external storage and fast internal NAND is akin to using DDR3 + SRAM ala Xbox One vs all GDDR5 ala PS4. "Adoptable storage" is extremely flawed and counterproductive until SD cards aren't at a mere fraction of NAND speed.

I meant who cares how fast the internal storage when people use adoptable storage and bitch when the S7 won't let you do it.

hitgirl

Past three months or so I've been running my Nexus 5X w/ Cyanogen Mod 13, Xposed Framework, and some G apps. Been the most pleasant phone experience I've had to date. I can go 2 days on my battery, it's extremely fast, is set up exactly how I'd like it, and doesn't crash.

yogloo

So... The top my screen of my z3 compact has stopped responding. I can't do pull down to look at notifications. Tried the diagnostic mode and it cannot detect touch at the top of the screen exactly around notification bar area. Anyone have any experience with this?

I did a repair using the sony software. Wiped out everything to install fresh firmware. Same result.

Esqueleto

Banned
So... The top my screen of my z3 compact has stopped responding. I can't do pull down to look at notifications. Tried the diagnostic mode and it cannot detect touch at the top of the screen exactly around notification bar area. Anyone have any experience with this?

I did a repair using the sony software. Wiped out everything to install fresh firmware. Same result.
Sounds like a hardware problem.

I'm replacing my z3c asap. As much as I love it, sony's quality control and slow repairs really pissed me off. I just had the headphone jack fixed in November. It took 25 days for it to get back to me and it broke again in less than 2 months.

Broank

I rolled back to Marshmallow after a few days with N. Couldnt handle the glitchyness in Textra and Drive along with chrome pages randomly not loading.from time to time. N looks to be pretty great though once it's polished up.

Poor Nexus 6 owners...

Yea it really sucks having apps load maybe loading .02 seconds slower than the newest iPhone..

reKon

Banned
better is a funny word

This doesn't happen to me. Why does all this bad shit happen to your Android phones. It obviously hates you.

NotBacon

Looks like encryption is a disadvantage at this point. In a year or two Android devices should be at 6S+ NAND speeds even with encryption. Hopefully.

Poor Nexus 6 owners...

My benchmarks are crying........................ and I'm not because it doesn't a real world difference.

Facebook Messenger:
Facebook:

80589.png

All I see here is the iPhone humiliating the Android devices

I'm bored, I'm going to encrypt my Note 4 and see how shit it becomes. I'll make a Nandroid backup first so I can revert it without losing everything though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom