• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maaaaan you're making me want to put the N preview on it, but this is my daily driver so I'm wary....

I can understand where you're coming from. I've got the 6P which is still on MarshMallow for that very reason. But thus far I've had next to zero issues. A few apps won't work on splitsceen but they work fine otherwise. The tablet has never crashed or gone wonky on me. Ocassionally I've had a little lag/unresponsiveness on Chrome but nothing game breaking. There may be some apps that don't work on the N preview but I've yet to find them. The battery life seems fine, and this thing is super smooth. You can roll back if required, but you've got the hassle of setting things back how you want 'em.

Hasney

The N preview is just as stable as Marshmallow tbh

Also yeah 100% my 6P battery and signal have burned in :( worth an RTA?

Is Chrome slow as shit on it, like worse than on M? That's what's happening on my Nexus 6 and it makes web browsing a chore, but if it's OK here, I'll dive right in.

Saiyan-Rox

Is Chrome slow as shit on it, like worse than on M? That's what's happening on my Nexus 6 and it makes web browsing a chore, but if it's OK here, I'll dive right in.

Honestly I don't see a difference in Chrome on N it might be different on the N6 but on my 6P it runs well enough for me

and i'm the type of person that would get really annoyed by lag and stuttering.;

Gonna contact Google about this screen burn on Monday if it's still there

Lagamorph

Just created a new account and added my card as a payment method. Tried to make a purchase and it goes through fine.
Definitely looking to be an issue with my account.

The only difference with my regular account and the new account is that my regular account has some Google Play Store credit on it from the Opinion Rewards app, and has a fair few devices registered against it.
I'm wondering if it's possible that my account just has 'too many' devices against it, but I can't see any way to actually remove an old device from my account (My old S3 phone seems to be on there 3 times and I now have two Pixel C tablets registered against it)

Removed the new account from the tablet and re-added my original account. If I go to the "My Account" section of the Play Store on the tablet, I get the same error message when it tries to retrieve/display my payment methods. But again, only with my primary account on a new device. My old devices that were already registered can do this no problem. So the issue seems to be that new devices aren't correctly registering against my account,

Cracked it!

It was something weird with my account after all, but also something I could fix.
I downloaded the Firefox browser onto my Pixel C and accessed the Play Store webpage through there, going to the My Account section where my Payment Methods are listed. I noticed that there's a payment method for my mobile carrier that I set up on my old Sony Z2, but was also available on my Nexus 6P. I hadn't noticed it there when I looked yesterday, but it was there today and I do distinctly remember setting it up way back when. I removed that payment method, then on the Pixel I cleared the Data/Cache for Google Play Framework and Google Play Store apps, then restarted. After that, my Pixel C Play Store app can now access my payment information and make purchases.

No idea if it was removing the carrier payment method that did it since that method was causing some kind of conflict on a non 3G tablet, or if it was accessing the Play Store via a third party browser app which kicked some kind of authentication into gear.

Either way, a very weird issue thankfully solved! I've responded to my Google Support ticket with the update as well, so hopefully they can become aware of a possible issue.

Saiyan-Rox

oh btw you all with N on your pixel c do you notice a little red light beside the front facing camera turn on when you turn the screen on? it's not there when Marshmallow is installed.

Chorazin

N installing now, looking forward to that multiwindow goodness.

EDIT: FUUUUCK this is awesome.

EDIT 2: Awww screw you Instagram for not working in multi window yet.

I highly recommend NOT using N Preview on 5x. I left the preview to the March M update and it's night and day difference in performance and bugs. Chrome is busted on N Preview with 5x.

Based from leaks
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=65894813&postcount=37372

If It looks just as good in the final version irl and it has a good camera etc, then HTC might just have a chance.

Sign me up.
Front is gorgeous
dr-dre-face-gif.gif

longdi

Banned
Front is gorgeous
dr-dre-face-gif.gif

Idk, that finger prints button looks like a zit on the face. Ugly. Furthermore a9 non-depressable fp button give off a strange vibe when I tried to press down.

Sony imo has the best fp button position, at the sides.

Oh does m10 comes with 3600mah or more battery?

Noema

Cracked it!

It was something weird with my account after all, but also something I could fix.
I downloaded the Firefox browser onto my Pixel C and accessed the Play Store webpage through there, going to the My Account section where my Payment Methods are listed. I noticed that there's a payment method for my mobile carrier that I set up on my old Sony Z2, but was also available on my Nexus 6P. I hadn't noticed it there when I looked yesterday, but it was there today and I do distinctly remember setting it up way back when. I removed that payment method, then on the Pixel I cleared the Data/Cache for Google Play Framework and Google Play Store apps, then restarted. After that, my Pixel C Play Store app can now access my payment information and make purchases.

No idea if it was removing the carrier payment method that did it since that method was causing some kind of conflict on a non 3G tablet, or if it was accessing the Play Store via a third party browser app which kicked some kind of authentication into gear.

Either way, a very weird issue thankfully solved! I've responded to my Google Support ticket with the update as well, so hopefully they can become aware of a possible issue.

I'm glad you solved it.

I love tech happy endings.

JamzyT

Neo Member
Idk, that finger prints button looks like a zit on the face. Ugly. Furthermore a9 non-depressable fp button give off a strange vibe when I tried to press down.

Sony imo has the best fp button position, at the sides.

Oh does m10 comes with 3600mah or more battery?

Your not supposed to "press down", your simply meant to just place your finger on the sensor.

And battery capacitys in the 3000-3600mAh region, theres been some conflict of the exact capacity.

Overview of rumours thus far
http://vrdwellersblog.com/2016/03/16/leak-overview-htc-10-m10/

Hasney

Oh hey, the USB Gamecube adaptor works on the Pixel C and Gamecube games run damn fine on it. That's pretty sweet.

Is there a Tegra browser equivilent to CAF/RS? I'm guessing not since it's not as ubiquitous as Snapdragon, but worth a shot.

BPK

I'm looking to buy a value phone. I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 5x but I'm intrigued by what the One Plus 3 will be like since they have a good track record with their previous phones.

Saiyan-Rox

I'm looking to buy a value phone. I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 5x but I'm intrigued by what the One Plus 3 will be like since they have a good track record with their previous phones.

Don't say stuff like that in here

oh no....they're coming

BPK

Don't say stuff like that in here

oh no....they're coming

*runs to hide*

I should have been more precise. By track record I meant that their phones are well designed and priced right. Warranty support and timely updates are another matter entirely.

Hasney

Rox was right, N on the Pixel C just works with no wonkiness whatsoever. Been reading reviews and the weird things that werre there at launch really look like they've been fixed now. Everything just works how I want it to.

Gamestream and emulation using a DS4 is fantastic. As is bringing up the multiscreen to use it as a remote for my Android TV to stream shit to it.

Saiyan-Rox

Rox was right, N on the Pixel C just works with no wonkiness whatsoever. Been reading reviews and the weird things that werre there at launch really look like they've been fixed now. Everything just works how I want it to.

Gamestream and emulation using a DS4 is fantastic. As is bringing up the multiscreen to use it as a remote for my Android TV to stream shit to it.

The tablet is great it was a massive rushed pile of crap at the start but bits really come round. N does have the odd lag here or there when typing with the on screen keyboard but it is a beta.

I always forget how light it is when I haven't got the keyboard attached too it just feels so nice.

EDIT: side note to anyone who bought the keyboard swell, check the bit the tablet attached too before attaching the tablet....I didn't one night and the magnet is so strong I got a bad scratch on the back :(

Hasney

The tablet is great it was a massive rushed pile of crap at the start but bits really come round. N does have the odd lag here or there when typing with the on screen keyboard but it is a beta.

I always forget how light it is when I haven't got the keyboard attached too it just feels so nice.

Yeah, not sure if the leather backed keyboard is any lighter, but it does have a little bulk to it with the keyboard. Think it's a good comprimise considering the travel length on a keyboard this small. I'm almost using it as a little netbook right now rather than a tablet, but it's perfect just to have on my lap and use like this.

adamYUKI

Updated my 6p to Android N over the air. I'm really liking everything so far, save for a few things: Jswarts CAF Chromium browser not working, and the annoying "Signing in..." message whenever I launch Hangouts (it's a minor annoyance, but still irritating for me), etc.

One thing I noticed immediately was that while charging with the official charging cable and wall adapter, it no longer says "Charging rapidly". It just says "Charging". Anyone else notice this?

Hasney

Nice. More manufacturers should start doing this as contracts and subsidized prices are becoming obsolete.

Yup. Not in the US, but I laugh at the "subsidised" prices you guys have on a 2 year contract. Here, you expect the phone cost to be free or double figures at the most when you're on a contract as much as you lot pay.

Like I paid £35 a month for unlimited SMS, data and 1200 minutes and my day of release Galaxy S4 cost me £30 up front. While I buy off contract now, it was great when I had to rely on getting a deal through a provider.

@Rox: Just saw your edit but don't understand. Check what?

Saiyan-Rox

Yup. Not in the US, but I laugh at the "subsidised" prices you guys have on a 2 year contract. Here, you expect the phone cost to be free or double figures at the most when you're on a contract as much as you lot pay.

Like I paid £35 a month for unlimited SMS, data and 1200 minutes and my day of release Galaxy S4 cost me £30 up front. While I buy off contract now, it was great when I had to rely on getting a deal through a provider.

@Rox: Just saw your edit but don't understand. Check what?

The metal keyboard where it attaches to the tablet when in ttyping mode check it for debris before attaching the tablet. The magnet is so strong when I attached the tablet without wiping it it scratched it :(

At least I'm sure that's where the scratch game from its right where the keyboard attaches

Hasney

The metal keyboard where it attaches to the tablet when in ttyping mode check it for debris before attaching the tablet. The magnet is so strong there was stuff on mine that when I attached the tablet it scratched it :(

Oh for debris, yeah, got it. I looked at it before re attaching it and thought "What am I checking for"

Hasney

The red light when turning the screen on is annoying me now. Not because it's there, but since it doesn't come on when the front camera is on, WHAT IS IT FOR GOOGLE?"

Still using my M8 and It's been great to me but since I replaced the charge port I've had issues with the camera. Time for an upgrade and I really only see one phone that peaks my interest. The camera could be shit for all I care honestly.

Probably a micro USB problem on the port, right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom