• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigolo

Wow. Going by this news alone, I suspect that the 5" Nexus phone will come with Snapdragon 810 v2.1 while the 5.5" Nexus phone will be the one with Snapdragon 820 (the next Nexus phones coming out this year).

lol i'd die a little inside but i don't think this will happen. I just want the goog to take all their knowledge and improvments they've made to the 6p with framework/kernel and build a 5.2 820 pixel/nexus whatever.

Dicer

Banned
That might do it. If it's not just SMS notifications and it's slow going into the Messenger app as well (my N6 when dozed didn't notify, but they were there waiting), they could do something to make it unstick. But if you flashed clean again, the same thing might happen. T Mobile might see it as a new phone each time.

So now, if I get or make a call the texts flood in, really strange...otherwise they hang out in the nether until a call is made or received

RoKKeR

Hey guys. Question for you all.

Have any of you used m4p to mp3 converters in the past? Any suggestions? Have music from the DRM-era iTunes that is important to me and I really want it on my phone. I am losing my mind currently trying to burn to CD's and all of this shit, and I'm just getting continually frustrated with these files being completely locked away.

Hasney

There's programs that do it, but obviously can't link them. Easiest way is to pay the upgrade fee, obviously, so linking to any crack would be bannable.

Cheebo

Banned
Hey guys. Question for you all.

Have any of you used m4p to mp3 converters in the past? Any suggestions? Have music from the DRM-era iTunes that is important to me and I really want it on my phone. I am losing my mind currently trying to burn to CD's and all of this shit, and I'm just getting continually frustrated with these files being completely locked away.
Why not redownload them from iTunes? The purchases would still be tied to your apple account.

RoKKeR

Why not redownload them from iTunes? The purchases would still be tied to your apple account.
Did this today and the files come in as m4p, which is the old DRM-file protection Apple used before 2009. And I don't think they can be matched either because they are songs that aren't offered on the iTunes store anymore. (part of the Complete U2 collection)

So I need to convert those files to mp3 now. Burning to CD is an option but there are a few hundred songs and that is a huge hassle. I am sure there are dedicated applications that probably do this but they are typically of the shady variety.

They still have DRM when redownloaded. There's a fee per track to remove it.
Is there really? Where would I find this? Might bite the bullet.

Yeah if you are coming from a G2 you should be extremely happy with G5. Early benchmarks look impressive. Honestly the G3 and G4 did not have the performance and battery the G2 had.

I went ahead and put a preorder in for the G5 at Best Buy. If you sign a two year contract the phone is only $100, so I may as well. Not sure I'll even want another phone after this unless it has some really great, none camera/social network related features.

My Nvidia Shield Portable (Android 5.1) optimizes all the apps on the device every time I turn it on, whether or not an update has happened recently.

I usually turn it off when in done using it because the battery drains pretty quickly when on standby, so it takes forever to boot up when I use it.

Any fix for this issue? Maybe a factory reset?

clem84

Gold Member
Is there a way to unlock the SIM of an Android phone? I paid full price for a Note3 2 years ago thinking it was mine to do as I pleased, until I found out my provider locked the phone so I can't use it with another provider. They also had the audacity to charge me an extra 50$ to unlock it when I contacted them a few weeks ago. I made the decision at that point to switch provider.

I googled a little bit and found a few things but I was wondering if it was legit. Is there a way to do this without effin' up my phone?

Symphonia

Banned
Anyone recommend some must-have apps for the 6P?

I'm mainly looking for games that will really show off the power and prowess of the handset, but will happily download any general lifestyle apps that you can suggest.

suplex

So with my G3 completely dead with not much hope of a fix, and my S3 being just overall too slow and annoying me, I'm definitely looking to buy a new phone within the next week or so. I'm definitely going to get an unlocked phone since I think I'm going to leave Verizon and check out T-Mobile or Fi in the near future.

I've been leaning towards the 6P, but I just wish it had a SD card slot instead of making me pay an extra $100 for the 128gb version, but at least it's an option. The only thing holding me back is the price at $600 plus tax right now for the 128gb version.

I've also been considering the 5X with the Fi deal, and using that month to just kind of check out the Fi service using a new number since I'm not sure of the logistics of transferring my number for a month, and then back to Verizon until my contract is up, and then to whatever service after that. The issue there is the 32gb storage max, which wouldn't be enough for my music, and again no SD card slot.

If I went that route, I was thinking about the possibility of buying a cheap prepaid phone with SD card support (such as the Moto E) and just using it in airplane mode as a music player in my car. Has anyone done something like this? Looks like I can buy a Verizon prepaid Moto E for like $35 at Walmart.

Then I noticed the Moto X Pure has SD card support, and is a little cheaper than the 6P. However it doesnt seem to have as nice of a screen, and doesn't have the fingerprint scanner or USB-C.

What say you gaf? Is it worth it just spending the money on the 128gb 6P? Is the much cheaper 5X good enough compared to the 6P? Or is the Moto X Pure the best value despite missing some features? I'm hoping to make this my phone for a while, but I guess since the 5x is only $250 I'd be ok if it didn't last quite as long.

Noema

Honestly I'd flash Cyanogenmod 12.1 or 13 on the S3 to make it usable and wait for the new Nexus phone(s) to be released. Then you can get a brand new phone instead or get the 6P for a discounted price.

Paying $600+ for the 6P doesn't seem right at this point. It's almost 6 months old.

If you don't want to wait the Moto x pure is not a bad phone and it already runs 6.0.

Sounds like you may be willing to make do with using the cloud instead of a ton of local storage for now. Get the cheap 5x and sell it for a new Nexus this fall. The 6p is not a huge upgrade over the 5x due to it being on similar processor architecture. I also wouldn't do the Moto X because of slow updates and the other reasons you said.

Sell the 5x on Swappa when your ready to upgrade. Going through phones is not a big deal once you enter unlocked land.

No Love

Banned
So with my G3 completely dead with not much hope of a fix, and my S3 being just overall too slow and annoying me, I'm definitely looking to buy a new phone within the next week or so. I'm definitely going to get an unlocked phone since I think I'm going to leave Verizon and check out T-Mobile or Fi in the near future.

I've been leaning towards the 6P, but I just wish it had a SD card slot instead of making me pay an extra $100 for the 128gb version, but at least it's an option. The only thing holding me back is the price at $600 plus tax right now for the 128gb version.

I've also been considering the 5X with the Fi deal, and using that month to just kind of check out the Fi service using a new number since I'm not sure of the logistics of transferring my number for a month, and then back to Verizon until my contract is up, and then to whatever service after that. The issue there is the 32gb storage max, which wouldn't be enough for my music, and again no SD card slot.

If I went that route, I was thinking about the possibility of buying a cheap prepaid phone with SD card support (such as the Moto E) and just using it in airplane mode as a music player in my car. Has anyone done something like this? Looks like I can buy a Verizon prepaid Moto E for like $35 at Walmart.

Then I noticed the Moto X Pure has SD card support, and is a little cheaper than the 6P. However it doesnt seem to have as nice of a screen, and doesn't have the fingerprint scanner or USB-C.

What say you gaf? Is it worth it just spending the money on the 128gb 6P? Is the much cheaper 5X good enough compared to the 6P? Or is the Moto X Pure the best value despite missing some features? I'm hoping to make this my phone for a while, but I guess since the 5x is only $250 I'd be ok if it didn't last quite as long.

Wait a couple weeks and the LG G5 should be out.

With the Nexus 5X price going down massively here (starting at 277€ for 16GB vs 429 at launch and 299 for 32GB vs 469 at launch), it's getting really tempting, even though I dislike a lot about the phone. But the Nexus software experience is definitely a big plus for me. It's getting hard to pass it up.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
With the Nexus 5X price going down massively here (starting at 277€ for 16GB vs 429 at launch and 299 for 32GB vs 469 at launch), it's getting really tempting, even though I dislike a lot about the phone. But the Nexus software experience is definitely a big plus for me. It's getting hard to pass it up.
The price is the main issue with it. You should get it. It's not perfect but it's a big upgrade over the OG 5. You're still eight months out for a new Nexus.

suplex

Honestly I'd flash Cyanogenmod 12.1 or 13 on the S3 to make it usable and wait for the new Nexus phone(s) to be released. Then you can get a brand new phone instead or get the 6P for a discounted price.

I thought about doing that, but the other issue is the screen on the S3 is a bit damaged (it's very dim at the bottom) and getting worse.

Sounds like you may be willing to make do with using the cloud instead of a ton of local storage for now. Get the cheap 5x and sell it for a new Nexus this fall. The 6p is not a huge upgrade over the 5x due to it being on similar processor architecture. I also wouldn't do the Moto X because of slow updates and the other reasons you said.

Sell the 5x on Swappa when your ready to upgrade. Going through phones is not a big deal once you enter unlocked land.

That's not a bad idea, definitely something to think over. Although I guess I could also just sell the 6P down the line as well. That is a pretty big price difference on them right now though.

Wait a couple weeks and the LG G5 should be out.

Considering my G3's touch screen failed within 4 months of owning it, and the replacement completely died within 18 months, I don't think I want another phone in that line.

The price is the main issue with it. You should get it. It's not perfect but it's a big upgrade over the OG 5. You're still eight months out for a new Nexus.

Like I said, I have a lot of issues with the device itself, but the super cheap price could still win me over. Hardware-wise I'm not seeing how it's such a big upgrade, aside from the battery. RAM is the same and in a lot of ways it's actually a downgrade for me.

Much like the current Lumia phones, the design is so bland, it's almost offensive. The right colors could've saved it.
It's a lot taller than the Nexus 5, because of the symmetric design on the front (and it doesn't even have dual speakers!)
There's no wireless charging, which is important to me (actual deal breaker, because I'm an idiot).
I'm not a fan of the color options (might still go with blue, because black and white are even more boring).

It would be my new choice, should my N5 break tomorrow, but I wouldn't be looking forward to it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Camera's great. Rapid charging. Finger print sensor. You'll get N. It does have drawbacks, though. No idea why wireless charging is gone smh

Camera's great. Rapid charging. Finger print sensor. You'll get N. It does have drawbacks, though. No idea why wireless charging is gone smh

They're mostly things I don't care about. Especially not rapid charging, because it don't want to fiddle around with cables at all, just to charge my phone. And like I said, the 2 GB RAM kinda makes it feel like a sidegrade, anyway. N is the only good thing.

Wireless charging is officially gone, because previously, people were too stupid for the Micro USB port, so they introduced wireless charging to the Nexus line. But with Type C you can plug the cable in any way you want, so there's no need for wireless charging anymore. Or something like that.

The real reason is probably feature parity between the two devices and since the all-metal 6P can't have it, the 5X can't have it either.

Bboy AJ

All worse than the Nexus 5, IMO. Value wise, anyway. Plus, I agree with brot, LG removed wireless charging because of the 6P. No doubt about it.

Worse how? All are significantly more powerful, all have higher-res displays (with more PPI), better front and rear cameras, double the RAM, expandable storage, fast charging, better battery life, and the V10 even has a removable battery.

Bboy AJ

Worse how? All are significantly more powerful, all have higher-res displays, better front and rear cameras, double the RAM, expandable storage, fast charging, and the V10 even has a removable battery.

Value wise. They're pretty expensive. And for some of us, like me, anything but a Nexus is not interesting. But on their own, those phones are pretty good. I think your list is good but it's a shame it's so short. RIP wireless charging.

Value wise. They're pretty expensive. And for some of us, like me, anything but a Nexus is not interesting. But on their own, those phones are pretty good. I think your list is good but it's a shame it's so short. RIP wireless charging.

I think when Apple (finally) implement it, it'll go back into the mainstream again. I really miss it, loved it on my Lumia 920.

If this really is a deal-breaker, you have all of about 3 options. LG V10 / Samsung Galaxy S7 / Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. And of those three, the LG V10 only gains wireless charging through a $60 back-cover replacement. Then again, the V10 is a fair bit cheaper than the S7 right now.

The LG G4 also has a wireless charging option and last years Galaxy S6 has it build in, too.

I know my options and I know how much I limit the selection of smartphones, but ever since I got my Lumia 920 back in 2013 and got to use wireless charging, there's no going back to cables for me. It's a thing of the past and I want it to die as quickly as possible, much like how AJ wants the 3.5 mm port to die. e: I know that the current solution is obviously not perfect, but it's still so much better to me.

I'm mainly waiting for the S7 to go down in price (because it's the only current phone that offers Qi right now), but my point from earlier was that the low price of the 5X, the stock Android software experience and timely updates might be worth giving up on Qi charging for me.

What's funny is that until Google showed/released N, I was willing to accept OEM skins and slow OS updates, because I didn't think Google could or would implement so many (little) improvements in one update. I mean, "granular app permissions" was the highlight in 6.0.

I think when Apple (finally) implement it, it'll go back into the mainstream again. I really miss it, loved it on my Lumia 920.

implement something that makes phones thicker?

What's funny is that until Google showed/released N, I was willing to accept OEM skins and slow OS updates, because I didn't think Google could or would implement so many (little) improvements in one update. I mean, "granular app permissions" was the highlight in 6.0.

all they did was catch up to 2012 TouchWiz...

all they did was catch up to 2012 TouchWiz...

Without making it look (and hopefully perform) like shit, yes.

But seriously, lets look at the feature highlight articles from Android Police.

• Notification Shade Now A Lot More Powerful With Direct Reply And Notification Bundling
  • Split-Screen Multitasking And Picture-In-Picture Mode Finally Come To Android
  • The New Quick Settings Menu Includes Mini-Toggles And Easy Editing
  • New Data Saver Option Reduces Data Usage On Limited Cellular Plans
  • Night Mode Is Back With Expanded Features Including A Red Filter And Lower Brightness
  • Doze Will Now Work Whenever The Screen Is Off, Even When The Device Isn't Stationary
  • The Redesigned Settings Menu Crams A Ton Of New Information Everywhere
  • Recent App List Now Has Larger Cards, Makes Switching To Previous App Easier
  • Number Blocking Is Now System-Level, Will Persist Across Resets And Devices
  • The Overview Button Gets Awesome Alt-Tab-Style Features For Fast App Switching
  • Color Balance Calibration Now Available In System UI Tuner
  • System UI Tuner Expands Status Bar Options With Auto-Rotate Status Symbol, Clock, Battery, And Others
  • Updated ART Compiler Means No More Obnoxiously Long 'Optimizing Apps' Step And Much Faster App Installs
  • More Powerful Built-In File Manager Adds Move, Rename, Create, And Multiple Instances
  • Easily Change Your Device's Display DPI With Screen Zoom
  • Long Tapping The Flashlight In Quick Settings Launches The Camera, Other Icons Go To Their Respective Settings
  • New Force Close Pop-Up Has "Reset And Restart" And "Mute Until Device Restarts" Options
  • Settings Will Now Suggest Items For You
  • Long-Press On Notifications Now Opens In-Line Notification Options
  • The Default Dialer App Can Now Screen Incoming Calls
  • Add And Display Emergency Information On Your Lockscreen
  • Apps Can Create Their Own Custom Tiles And Toggles In Quick Settings
  • Navigation Buttons Now Dim For A Slightly-Tweaked Lights Out Mode
  • Scoped Directory Access Gives Apps An Easy Way To Ask Users For Access To Common Folders
  • Apps In The Share Menu Can Be Pinned To The Top Of The List
  • Multiple Device Locales Are Now Supported, Allowing Search Results In Multiple Languages And Other Goodies
  • Drag And Drop Text Between Apps In Multi-Window
  • The Download Manager's Notification Gets A Quickly Accessible Cancel Button
  • Full Importance Settings Offer Granular Control Of Notification Priority
  • Automatic System Updates Can Be Disabled In Developer Options
  • Apps Can Now Include A Settings Link On The App Info Screen
  • Fast Scroll Through The Apps List In Settings
Now, I understand that none of these features are finalized, can get removed over time and most of that stuff has been done before by OEM skins and community ROMs before. Heck, a lot of that stuff should've been implemented a long time ago. Nevertheless I'm happy that most features are finally part of the native code base. None of the features are outstanding and amazing, but its the amount of little stuff they bundle in that one update. Like I said a while ago, I absolutely prefer it over 3rd parties messing with the OS or having to use separate apps. It also frees up resources for OEM to implement even better features Google can copy in a couple of years.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I was watching a video about the g5 and people hated the buttons on the back?

Its the best part of the lg phones...

It's one of those things you either love or hate. I really like the back power on the G2, but volume there is just OK, as its hard to tell what you are about to press half the time. Glad they moved volume for the G5, but kept power on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom