• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How times have changed.
So you paid more money to use a bad device for a few months. Now the tablet is usable and $150 cheaper. Yes, times have changed.

AJ, I bought a Pixel C a few days ago and I'm using it on the N preview (I've got the keyboard too). It's by a country mile the best Android tablet. No screen issues, no BT keyboard issues, no WiFi issues. It's fast smooth and awesome. Love the tag by the way. Keep fucking that chicken.
Robbie, 3.5mm is dead. I welcome the future improvements to wireless that everyone's ignored. We will improve substantially faster.

It has better build quality, faster updates (multiwindow in the future) much better battery life, a bigger screen (if you need it) and has much better gaming performance. If you don't care about gaming then I guess maybe it doesn't matter so much, but the Pixel C does dominate it.
It is also heavier, 1 GB less ram, no AC WiFi, no gps, worse form factor for me. But mmm nexus software goodness. Asus never updating anything smh

I can't wait to get my new LG G5. So glad to get rid of this Z3. It's really gone down the gutter the last few months. Don't know why really but I don't care either. Just ready to move on.

Hasney

Over 8 hours of SOT on the Pixel C? Yeah, that'll do. My laptop is gaming so lasts about an hour even when not playing games, so this'll just be my main device now and the laptop to be used for games... Well, at this rate, just Stardew Valley. Damn the addictiveness.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Over 8 hours of SOT on the Pixel C? Yeah, that'll do. My laptop is gaming so lasts about an hour even when not playing games, so this'll just be my main device now and the laptop to be used for games... Well, at this rate, just Stardew Valley. Damn the addictiveness.
That's awesome battery life. Also, based Stardew. PM me your Steam tag.

JamzyT

Neo Member
HTC are teasing the Camera as the "Worlds Best"

HTC10 is my next device. Just need it available soon. My update is a few weeks away but I'll hold off for the HTC10

I think HTC know they HAVE to get the camera right this time around, its make or break.

Strangely I think they will get it mostly right this time from launch.

Definitely waiting for the full unveil.

reKon

Banned
With the bluetooth keyboard constantly connected and on the N beta as well. This is pretty much an all day web browsing device right here.

Good to hear the problems are resolved. It really does seem like a perfect device for me as much as I love my tablet. I just can't bring myself to buy it yet because of the Surface that's going for $450 now that will deliver superior browsing performance, more options for expandable memory, and typing with the keyboard case and more flexibility, but will have a worse screen and worse battery life.

And then there's this..: http://techtablets.com/2016/03/cube-i9-399-sale-coming-29th/

My next will be z5c hopefully

Um.... BUY?

http://slickdeals.net/f/8580846-32g...-unlocked-4g-lte-smartphone-400-free-shipping

Hasney

Good to hear the problems are resolved. It really does seem like a perfect device for me as much as I love my tablet. I just can't bring myself to buy it yet because of the Surface that's going for $450 now that will deliver superior browsing performance, more options for expandable memory, and typing with the keyboard case and more flexibility, but will have a worse screen and worse battery life.

And then there's this..: http://techtablets.com/2016/03/cube-i9-399-sale-coming-29th/

Um.... BUY?

http://slickdeals.net/f/8580846-32g...-unlocked-4g-lte-smartphone-400-free-shipping

Yeah, I was looking at the Surface, but they're overpriced over here compared to the 25% developer discount on the Pixel C. The only ones comparable to even the base model price are the 2Gb version which just don't feel snappy from what I used. The keyboard isn't as good either, but I think there's a few different keyboards now since the 4 came out? Think it was the 3 model I used.

I am really tempted to order one of the Z5C's on sale. It would pretty much be the perfect Android device for me with the exception of slow (Or not at all) software updates. Well that and I have heard Sony's quality control is kind of bad and the RMA process is slow if an issues arises.

I feel like with the way Android continues to focus on bigger high-end phones it will come down to me either getting a Z5C or waiting for an iPhone 7 in September but even then I don't feel great about spending $900 on anything let alone a phone.

Hasney

you guys make me wanna buy a Pixel over a Surface Pro :O

If you've got the money, a Surface PRO 4 is going to be better. The 2GB Surface 3's don't feel as good to me, which in the UK, are the only thing close to the cost. Usage for the cost, Pixel C wins for me. You got the money for an i5/i7 Surface Pro (and not the awful m3 Surface model. Ew.) and don't mind paying for it, go for it.

Dicer

Banned
Do we have a troubleshooting thread?

Lg g3 with cm 13 nightlies, SMS just stopped getting messages they seem to come later on when they feel like it. I can send them fine.

Didn't know if anyone had an answer I have looked around and it seems to be an issue for some other out there...

Hasney

Do we have a troubleshooting thread?

Lg g3 with cm 13 nightlies, SMS just stopped getting messages they seem to come later on when they feel like it. I can send them fine.

Didn't know if anyone had an answer I have looked around and it seems to be an issue for some other out there...

Is Messenger allowed to be on Doze? That happened to me on the N preview, sure a CM13 nightly could have the same issue. To check/change it:

Open the Settings app and tap Battery. Tap the Options menu button (the three dots in the upper right), then tap Battery optimization. Tap the downward-pointing arrow, then tap All apps from the menu that appears.

Next, tap the name of the app for which you want to switch off Doze mode, and in the box that appears, tap Don’t optimize. Once you’re done, tap Done.

Dicer

Banned
Is Messenger allowed to be on Doze? That happened to me on the N preview, sure a CM13 nightly could have the same issue. To check/change it:

Open the Settings app and tap Battery. Tap the Options menu button (the three dots in the upper right), then tap Battery optimization. Tap the downward-pointing arrow, then tap All apps from the menu that appears.

Next, tap the name of the app for which you want to switch off Doze mode, and in the box that appears, tap Don’t optimize. Once you’re done, tap Done.
Tried and no go, ty tho

Chairhome

Okay, I am thinking about unrooting (to use Android Pay and.... Miitomo when it comes out. don't judge me) my Oneplus One. Do I need to unroot or is there a way to trick apps into thinking its not rooted?

Most ROMs are rooted so I would have to go to a stock ROM, correct?

Thanks.

Dicer

Banned
^^^I have G3 normal version why did you go to cm13? normal version works flawlessly.

I have never spent more then 200 outright on phone. i am not gonna do that now. I shall wait.

By "normal" do you mean stock? if so I've been running custom roms since I have gotten the phone, not a fan of the default setup.

Okay, I am thinking about unrooting (to use Android Pay and.... Miitomo when it comes out. don't judge me) my Oneplus One. Do I need to unroot or is there a way to trick apps into thinking its not rooted?

Thanks.

I'd wait I am sure there will be a way around it, in fact some have already "blocked" root from Miitomo and gotten it running, but it depends on device I guess, time will tell don' be super hasty....

Hasney

Tried and no go, ty tho

Try making the SMS notification priority notifications and if that doesn't work, you can either try a clean flash of it orhope a nightly fixes it soon. My Fire HDX 7 tablet is on CM13 Nightlies and although it has no SMS, it did have issues with a few app notifications until I did a clean install with it. Is there nothing on the CM forums about sms notifications being an issue?

Thanks.

There's an app called Hide my Root which sometimes works. Doesn't work with Pay AFAIK, but might with Miitomo depending on how they check for root

Dicer

Banned
Try making the SMS notification priority notifications and if that doesn't work, you can either try a clean flash of it orhope a nightly fixes it soon. My Fire HDX 7 tablet is on CM13 Nightlies and although it has no SMS, it did have issues with a few app notifications until I did a clean install with it. Is there nothing on the CM forums about sms notifications being an issue?

I've done a round of clean flashes (wiped everything) made sure baseband and modem were up to date, and no go...

I've also seem people that have called t-mobile to "reset" sms and it un-sticks, so who knows, I'll give it a day of tinkering then ring them up if I end up in a true dead end.

Hasney

I've done a round of clean flashes (wiped everything) made sure baseband and modem were up to date, and no go...

I've also seem people that have called t-mobile to "reset" sms and it un-sticks, so who knows, I'll give it a day of tinkering then ring them up if I end up in a true dead end.

That might do it. If it's not just SMS notifications and it's slow going into the Messenger app as well (my N6 when dozed didn't notify, but they were there waiting), they could do something to make it unstick. But if you flashed clean again, the same thing might happen. T Mobile might see it as a new phone each time.

By "normal" do you mean stock? if so I've been running custom roms since I have gotten the phone, not a fan of the default setup.

yes normal means stock. SMS works perfectly using default app or google messenger. If nothing works i think that might be the best option. you can use nova to customize things if needed. most of the lg g3 also have marshmallow now too. up to you.

Hasney

Final Pixel C screen on battery life on N beta and constant bluetooth keyboard connection was 7 hours 45 to hit 15% battery saving mode. That'll more than do me, goddamn impressed.

Just ordered a Pixel C and two project Fi Nexus 5x's with the intention of canceling one of the Fi orders after first month.

Need to get two family members off their 2013 Moto X's. Come on Google don't let me down.

Chorazin

The Android God giveth (installed N today and loving it) and then taketh (finally got my S7 Edge, three dead pixels). At least it'll be an easy exchange with AT&T tomorrow.

Hasney

Just ordered a Pixel C and two project Fi Nexus 5x's with the intention of canceling one of the Fi orders after first month.

Need to get two family members off their 2013 Moto X's. Come on Google don't let me down.

Only been a day, but the #HasneyHotTake is that you will be very happy with the Pixel C. Just shove it on N as soon as you get it, not found a problem yet.

In terms of hardware, I wish I could just close the tablet from the upright keyboard position like a laptop, then it would be perfect.

Jigolo

Decided to hold off on buying a new tablet. Waiting for 4K to become a normal thing on displays this big and chips that can run them well.

rc213

How much would the Nexus 5x be after you cancel?

wilflare

If you've got the money, a Surface PRO 4 is going to be better. The 2GB Surface 3's don't feel as good to me, which in the UK, are the only thing close to the cost. Usage for the cost, Pixel C wins for me. You got the money for an i5/i7 Surface Pro (and not the awful m3 Surface model. Ew.) and don't mind paying for it, go for it.

ah. I'm thinking of the Surface Pro 4 (not sure which exact model yet) to use mainly as a work laptop (for presentations, moving around the classroom w the surface with Wireless HDMI etc)

Hasney

ah. I'm thinking of the Surface Pro 4 (not sure which exact model yet) to use mainly as a work laptop (for presentations, moving around the classroom w the surface with Wireless HDMI etc)

So you can do wireless HDMI over USB type C apparently, but yeah, if that's what you're going for with your use case, I'd probably go Surface Pro. Just get at least 4GB RAM and an i5 as the minimums.

vwnut13

The red light when turning the screen on is annoying me now. Not because it's there, but since it doesn't come on when the front camera is on, WHAT IS IT FOR GOOGLE?"

That would be the proximity sensor. There must be a bug that is keeping the sensor on at all times.

I looked over the last few pages and didn't see anything. From what everyone knows, is the G5 worth the upgrade, or should one wait since it's not as good as it should be?

I looked over the last few pages and didn't see anything. From what everyone knows, is the G5 worth the upgrade, or should one wait since it's not as good as it should be?

If you aren't coming from a 2015 Nexus pretty much most phones this year are worth upgrading to. They all are looking to offer much better battery and performance than everything released last year. Some are waiting on HTC before they pull the trigger on the G5 though.

If you aren't coming from a 2015 Nexus pretty much most phones this year are worth upgrading to. They all are looking to offer much better battery and performance than everything released last year. Some are waiting on HTC before they pull the trigger on the G5 though.
Ah, ok. I know it's a never ending cycle when it comes to the smartphone market. Like a damned conveyor belt with something better dropping off regularly. It's good to know this one is seeming like a winner. In all honesty, the only reason I'm even getting a new phone is because mine spazzes out from time to time and the screen is cracked (damned wired headphones, I'm on BT now). I'm not much into the camera tech since I have a DSLR, or the attachments, but I figure a new toy wouldn't hurt. This G2 is old by today's standards it seems lol

Thanks for the info

Bboy AJ

Yeah. I'd have to say, the 6P is the first phone where battery has been solid. It's not a constant source of stress. I can actually just use the phone without having to consider later. Plus, rapid charging works great, when I need to top off before an all nighter.

Ah, ok. I know it's a never ending cycle when it comes to the smartphone market. Like a damned conveyor belt with something better dropping off regularly. It's good to know this one is seeming like a winner. In all honesty, the only reason I'm even getting a new phone is because mine spazzes out from time to time and the screen is cracked (damned wired headphones, I'm on BT now). I'm not much into the camera tech since I have a DSLR, or the attachments, but I figure a new toy wouldn't hurt. This G2 is old by today's standards it seems lol

Thanks for the info

Yeah if you are coming from a G2 you should be extremely happy with G5. Early benchmarks look impressive. Honestly the G3 and G4 did not have the performance and battery the G2 had.

Groof

I'm looking forward to when wireless headphones are mandatory so manufacturers are forced to put effort into them.

Kanhir

HTC10 is my next device. Just need it available soon.

Same. My M8 is one of the best purchases I ever made, and my next phone has to have that sweet aluminium finish and Motion Launch.

My main irritation is the lack of front-facing speakers, which are a massive plus for me. If the bottom speaker turns out to be inferior, I may just keep my M8 around as a dedicated music player.

jiggle

Well after nexus5
I swore I'd never get a lg phone ever again
But looks like they're the only good option if I want removable battery
G5 review was sounding good until I saw the smaller screen
Ew
How is G4 besides the fugly leather back?
Looks like there's some hardware problem that causes boot loop?

wilflare

So you can do wireless HDMI over USB type C apparently, but yeah, if that's what you're going for with your use case, I'd probably go Surface Pro. Just get at least 4GB RAM and an i5 as the minimums.

guess I'll do just that. It's not super urgent so I'm thinking or holding out for Surface Pro 5 or maybe Book 2.

Yeah. I'd have to say, the 6P is the first phone where battery has been solid. It's not a constant source of stress. I can actually just use the phone without having to consider later. Plus, rapid charging works great, when I need to top off before an all nighter.

My battery has been weird since the March Update... or maybe it's just the LINE app. but it's pretty solid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom