• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

It's one of those things you either love or hate. I really like the back power on the G2, but volume there is just OK, as its hard to tell what you are about to press half the time. Glad they moved volume for the G5, but kept power on the back.

you can hold the phone when watching stuff and never hit a button

its awesome in bed

I wonder with the announcement of the iPhone SE at $400 if it will do anything to shake up the $400 and below Android market. I know the screen size and 16GB storage will deter some people, but I feel like it offers a lot of value for money given the fact that it is pretty much an iPhone 6S except without TouchID.

Wreav

Banned
The screen size is what people have been BEGGING for. No one should buy a 16gb iPhone, though. Tons of value for the money, will run circles around the 5X.

HawkeyeIC

I wonder with the announcement of the iPhone SE at $400 if it will do anything to shake up the $400 and below Android market. I know the screen size and 16GB storage will deter some people, but I feel like it offers a lot of value for money given the fact that it is pretty much an iPhone 6S except without TouchID.

I think I'm stuck with big phones since I love my 6P so much, but it would be nice if, going forward, Google doesn't gimp the smaller Nexus. Same specs, same build quality, different screen sizes. Make it happen Google.

I hope it encourages more Android OEMs to make smaller phones.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The screen size is what people have been BEGGING for. No one should buy a 16gb iPhone, though. Tons of value for the money, will run circles around the 5X.

It'll be interesting to see how it does though. 4 inches is not too big, and I feel that people have gotten used to 5 inch phones in that price range already. At least in the US.

It's really interesting how Apple said they sold 30 million 4 inch iPhone's last year. You would think with a market that large more Android OEM's would have offered premium small-screen devices at this point instead of still lacking the option.

tzare

4 inches ain't mainstream anymore. If it was 4.5 maybe.It will get decent sales as a cheap iphone + those who still need small devices though. Plus bezel is huge.
Also lol at leaving 3D touch out. It seemed like the most important feature ever a few months ago...

Great value for sure. I'd probably take the SE over a Nexus 5X for $20 difference as well. Too bad the pricing difference is insane in Canada... 5X is $439 CAD whereas the iPhone SE is $579. In Canada, I'd still go for the 5X.

yyzjohn

Banned
It'll be interesting to see how it does though. 4 inches is not too big, and I feel that people have gotten used to 5 inch phones in that price range already. At least in the US.

I could never go back to such a small screen size. My eyes aren't going to get any better with age, 4" seems tiny when I look at it.

Wreav

Banned
It's really interesting how Apple said they sold 30 million 4 inch iPhone's last year. You would think with a market that large more Android OEM's would have offered premium small-screen devices at this point instead of still lacking the option.

Apple was practically giving away the 5S last year. No OEM was going to match the 5S price/value ratio. Android is still trending towards lower and lower end devices.

4 inches ain't mainstream anymore. If it was 4.5 maybe.It will get decent sales as a cheap iphone + those who still need small devices though. Plus bezel is huge.
Also lol at leaving 3D touch out. It seemed like the most important feature ever a few months ago...

The 6 is already 4.7''. This is a good rounding out of their portfolio. I know lots of girls with little hands that like smaller phones.

And it's been discussed in here before that 3D Touch was oversold and under-delivered. It's pretty interesting that Apple is now marketing it as a luxury feature. Right now, that might simply be because they can't shrink the new taptic motor down enough to cram into a 4'' body.

Blackhead

Redarse
Apple sold 30 million 4" iPhones last year because those are the cheapest iphones. Android OEMs offer budget larger screen phones and budget smaller screened phones and found that most people prefer the larger devices when they are priced the same.

reKon

Banned
I'll be happy when people come to their senses and see that 4.8 - 5.1 inches with small bezels is the perfect size for the average hand.

Aiii

So not worth it
Pretty sure 4" is a niche Market as far as appeal goes.

A "cheap iPhone" will however sell like hot cakes, because it has status and the regular one is insanely pricey. Now even people with less spending money can own an Apple mobile device.

Fairly certain that most people would want something in Z5 Compact range, but 4" seems awfully small to me to appeal to a person willing to spend a high end price. At least on the Android side of things.

Toki767

Yeah...I'd have to imagine the majority of those 30 million sales were because the 5S/C were cheap. Not because they were smaller screens.

But whatever. Apple's always going to set their own narrative and people believe it.

tzare

I'll be happy when people come to their senses and see that 4.8 - 5.1 inches with small bezels is the perfect size for the average hand.

even a little smaller is ok. Xperia compact series are really small and have much bigger screen than this new iphone, If it wasn't for the apple logo the discussion wouldn't even exist.
I wonder when will apple upgrade their design because those bezels on any of their iphones are huge and horrible,
The 6 is already 4.7''. This is a good rounding out of their portfolio. I know lots of girls with little hands that like smaller phones.

And it's been discussed in here before that 3D Touch was oversold and under-delivered. It's pretty interesting that Apple is now marketing it as a luxury feature. Right now, that might simply be because they can't shrink the new taptic motor down enough to cram into a 4'' body.
it is okay to have different models, nice to see this 4 inch iphone , it is good for apple users. Choice is good.
As for 3d touch.... well it fits in their apple watch so it seems like maximizing benefits. Usual apple strategy,just like base model is still 16GB in 2016. For those who want to pay the less they can for something with the apple logo,

Blackhead

Redarse
Pretty sure 4" is a niche Market as far as appeal goes.

A "cheap iPhone" will however sell like hot cakes, because it has status and the regular one is insanely pricey. Now even people with less spending money can own an Apple mobile device.

Fairly certain that most people would want something in Z5 Compact range, but 4" seems awfully small to me to appeal to a person willing to spend a high end price. At least on the Android side of things.

It's only a 'cheap' iPhone in the USA. After currency conversion and Apple international tax it's still pretty expensive everywhere else. And Apple doesn't need a cheap iPhone in the USA since between subsidized contracts and now payment plans almost every one there can get an iPhone 6s+ for no money down. Instead I think the SE will encourage more people who would have got a 6s/6s+ to settle for the SE. I think there will be a small boost in sales (or rather, a slower rate of decrease in sales) but a huge decrease in the ASP. It'll be interesting to see the next three quarters results.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's only a 'cheap' iPhone in the USA. After currency conversion and Apple international tax it's still pretty expensive everywhere else.

It is a cheap iPhone regardless of wether it is more or less expensive than an off contract iPhone SE is after sales tax in the US.

reKon

Banned
you know it's not the same

I realize apple just murked the game today and sewed it up from all angles but look on the bright side guys. Google is working on a VR headset!!!!!1

Wow you don't even try to hide anymore lol. That awkward moment when VR is the actual the most innovative feature being pushed on mobile devices right now.

I've heard nothing but good impressions about Gear VR from some people I know who aren't really into tech at all. To them, this shit is incredible and seems to be a great introduction into VR that will just keep improving and has various real world application other than just gaming and watching TV/Movies.

Quasar

Apple joins the race to the bottom.

mobile phones are OVAH

I wouldnt call a 16gb phone for 400$ racing to the bottom. Certainly still too expensive for me. Now if it was 32gb so the phone was actually useable...

Still...its kind of interesting that apple fans (or a segment) still want little phones. Whereas isny Sony the only one who even attempts to make small phonrs on android?

Quasar

It's only a 'cheap' iPhone in the USA. After currency conversion and Apple international tax it's still pretty expensive everywhere else.

Yeah. I had a quick look for Australia and the 16GB was 679...which I consider pricey in the wake of getting my 32gb 5X for 500 ish.

this_guy

For those that have a Pixel C - why do you like it? (Serious question) I do most of my browsing on a tablet, but just picked up a Samsung Chromebook and really enjoy it. Now I have a full web browser (which is 99% of my laptop usage) with the battery life of a tablet. I also only paid $100 because I had a Samsung coupon that was about to expire. What can the Pixel do better than a Chromebook?

I wouldnt call a 16gb phone for 400$ racing to the bottom. Certainly still too expensive for me. Now if it was 32gb so the phone was actually useable...

Still...its kind of interesting that apple fans (or a segment) still want little phones. Whereas isny Sony the only one who even attempts to make small phonrs on android?

a 16GB iPhone is basically like a 32GB Android phone.

Don't tempt me.

I'm not screwing around here. I have never seen Android tablet this fast, this premium and have a battery last this long. It just flys through shit no problem. It handles multiple user profiles without breaking a sweat which the Nexus 9 couldn't even touch. All it would need is more tablet optimized apps (and N obviously) and the iPad will have nothing on this thing. Samsung and Nexus tablets are not even in the same ballpark.

For those that have a Pixel C - why do you like it? (Serious question) I do most of my browsing on a tablet, but just picked up a Samsung Chromebook and really enjoy it. Now I have a full web browser (which is 99% of my laptop usage) with the battery life of a tablet. I also only paid $100 because I had a Samsung coupon that was about to expire. What can the Pixel do better than a Chromebook?

See above. You arent getting a tablet vs chromebook comparison from me. Thats silly.

Jzero

weren't all of you guys just talking shit about the Pixel C a few days ago?

Edit: Nevermind it was probably reviewers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom