• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Pixel C is still not my desired size, has less RAM than my current tablet, no GPS, no AC wifi, and the screen blurs.

Hasney

The Pixel C is still not my desired size, has less RAM than my current tablet, no GPS, no AC wifi, and the screen blurs.

It has AC WiFi. That's a mistake on GSM Arena. Don't notice much more blur than on my Nexus 6 while browsing websites or Hearthstone, but I've not done a right lot outside of that.

The weird aspect ratio might get on my tits a little bit when I travel and watch videos though. It's fine using it as a giant remote to stream to my TV for now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It has AC WiFi. That's a mistake on GSM Arena. Don't notice much more blur than on my Nexus 6 while browsing websites or Hearthstone, but I've not done a right lot outside of that.

The weird aspect ratio might get on my tits a little bit when I travel and watch videos though. It's fine using it as a giant remote to stream to my TV for now.
Don't tempt me.

It's the form factor that's my one hold out. I prefer the one handing of my Zenpad. 10" is too big. Although with multi-window... Hmm.

Hasney

Got a USB C -> USB 3.0 hub that charges the device if I need to as well. Should see what it does with USB storage and the like. My XBox one pad seemed to work once wired in.

Don't tempt me.

It's the form factor that's my one hold out. I prefer the one handing of my Zenpad. 10" is too big. Although with multi-window... Hmm.

It's so light without the keyboard that one handed is fine as long as you don't need to type. I was just holding it and swiping Hearthstone cards and pages just fine.

If they can ever find a way top have Heartstone work in multi-window so I can have a browser up too instead of waiting on slow ass player turns, it'll be a game changer. Not holding my breath for exclusive full screen apps to ever work though.

Mush

I am hoping within 6 months we will get announcements.
I need a new phone now though. :( My Otterbox has fried my S3 to the point where it doesn't even survive a day of regular use. I've replaced the battery twice, and I'm aware that's it's probably related to the Google Services battery drain issue but I don't know how to fix it.

I would have been tempted to jump on the SE if the price for the 64GB wasn't absurd here.

So my 2nd gen Moto G had been slowing down a little on Lollipop: Opera closing/crashing to the home screen, sluggish performance with multiple apps open in the background etc.

I (stupidly) decided not to upgrade it and hold out for the Moto G gen 4, and installed the 6.0 update. Which made my phone so much worse. So I factory reset it, and it worked like a dream, until I carried on reinstalling my apps, and the performance got worse, and worse, all over again. It's randomly restarted twice, Opera is a sluggish POS, the phone locked up trying to sign in on Youtube.

I made a big mistake going to 6.0 didn't I?

I need a new phone now though. :( My Otterbox has fried my S3 to the point where it doesn't even survive a day of regular use. I've replaced the battery twice, and I'm aware that's it's probably related to the Google Services battery drain issue but I don't know how to fix it.

I would have been tempted to jump on the SE if the price for the 64GB wasn't absurd here.

How did the Ottorbox kill your S3? And would you get better battery on a Cyanogen ROM?

Don't tempt me.

Well the 25 percent off isn't over until July so you have some time. Though first thing my girlfriend said was why didn't we upgrade to this sooner?

Noema

So my 2nd gen Moto G had been slowing down a little on Lollipop: Opera closing/crashing to the home screen, sluggish performance with multiple apps open in the background etc.

I (stupidly) decided not to upgrade it and hold out for the Moto G gen 4, and installed the 6.0 update. Which made my phone so much worse. So I factory reset it, and it worked like a dream, until I carried on reinstalling my apps, and the performance got worse, and worse, all over again. It's randomly restarted twice, Opera is a sluggish POS, the phone locked up trying to sign in on Youtube.

I made a big mistake going to 6.0 didn't I?

Not necessarily. Marshmallow shouldn't be any more taxing than Lollipop really.

Try wiping the cache and dalvik partitions and see if that makes a difference.

Moto G only has one gig of RAM. You have to be conservative with what apps you install as many have processes that run all the time in the background, consuming what little memory you have. Facebook + Facebook messenger use over 150MB when put together, for example. Use the website instead. Disable Google now and Google now on Tap. Use Nova launcher if you don't do so already as you'll get fewer desktop redraws compared to the Google launcher.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
CeKor2zUYAEe4Gx.jpg

HTC's turn next

Admodieus

Tempted to get a Pixel C - going to be doing some traveling next month and not looking forward to having to use my Nexus 7. Also, as silly as it sounds, being able to use the magnets to "dock" it to my fridge would make it useful as a cookbook in the kitchen.

Mindwipe

For those that have a Pixel C - why do you like it? (Serious question) I do most of my browsing on a tablet, but just picked up a Samsung Chromebook and really enjoy it. Now I have a full web browser (which is 99% of my laptop usage) with the battery life of a tablet. I also only paid $100 because I had a Samsung coupon that was about to expire. What can the Pixel do better than a Chromebook?

Read comics.

For those that have a Pixel C - why do you like it? (Serious question) I do most of my browsing on a tablet, but just picked up a Samsung Chromebook and really enjoy it. Now I have a full web browser (which is 99% of my laptop usage) with the battery life of a tablet. I also only paid $100 because I had a Samsung coupon that was about to expire. What can the Pixel do better than a Chromebook?

Before I get to use cases, I'll tell you why I like it. First of all the screen is epic - sharp, crisp, bright. The best screen experience I've had on a tablet so far. It's quick - smooth and lag free (I'm running the N preview). It 'feels' nice - how much of a factor build is to some is completely subjective but it is important to me. Battery life is outstanding too, as previous posters have suggested. And it's really comfortable to use - the magnets on the keyboard really lock the screen in place, so it's easy to prop this thing up at any angle you choose without fuss or fiddling and it's stable on any surface. I can use this on top of a spongy cushion or on my knee without it feeling awkward.

As for use case, I don't think it has huge advantages over a Chromebook. So it's subjective to a large degree. It's smaller and lighter with a better screen - but at a much higher cost obviously. It has a wide app selection allowing you to do more than you can on a Chromebook, but as you tend to mostly do web browsing I don't think that will be hugely important. It's a touch screen device which means it has more applications for gaming. I suppose it's also slicker (in terms of animations) than a Chromebook. Not a big thing, but important to some. It's just a goddamn sexy bit of kit!

Hasney

For me, it's like a mini laptop with the keyboard addon which has great travel depth considering how small it is and do all my web browsing on it, then if I want Hearthstone, it's quickly the most premium feeling Android tablet I've ever held. The screen is brilliant, it's fast and I haven't had to charge it during the day yet. Once it's off the charger about 9 am, it's only on it when I decide to go back to bed.

USB support of gamepads is also letting me emulate almost anything before the Wii.

Aww, Pixel C doesn't have GPS?

I've used GPS on my WiFi Nexus 7 several times. For data I just tether it to my phone.

Nope it just uses WiFi for location purposes. Assuming you have a phone with GPS, I'd just use that. It's in my opinion a bit large to be lugging it around like ridiculous tourists who use their iPads to take photos....

Husker86

Nope it just uses WiFi for location purposes. Assuming you have a phone with GPS, I'd just use that. It's in my opinion a bit large to be lugging it around like ridiculous tourists who use their iPads to take photos....
Haha yeah, I just used the Nexus 7 for GPS in my car, I didn't carry it around. I'd probably not mount a Pixel C for use like that in a car, but still, removed features are removed features.

Not necessarily. Marshmallow shouldn't be any more taxing than Lollipop really.

Try wiping the cache and dalvik partitions and see if that makes a difference.

Moto G only has one gig of RAM. You have to be conservative with what apps you install as many have processes that run all the time in the background, consuming what little memory you have. Facebook + Facebook messenger use over 150MB when put together, for example. Use the website instead. Disable Google now and Google now on Tap. Use Nova launcher if you don't do so already as you'll get fewer desktop redraws compared to the Google launcher.

Fantastic, for now wiping the cache appears to have resolved the issues! Thank you!

In regards to the phone more generally, Nova has been something I've used for a while, and I generally avoid any horribly intensive apps, so the ones you pointed out (FB, messenger, etc) are the guilty ones using up a lot of memory.

If the phone remains steady, I'll be glad I held off upgrading until this years' iteration (which I hope has a CPU and battery upgrade).

this_guy

Before I get to use cases, I'll tell you why I like it. First of all the screen is epic - sharp, crisp, bright. The best screen experience I've had on a tablet so far. It's quick - smooth and lag free (I'm running the N preview). It 'feels' nice - how much of a factor build is to some is completely subjective but it is important to me. Battery life is outstanding too, as previous posters have suggested. And it's really comfortable to use - the magnets on the keyboard really lock the screen in place, so it's easy to prop this thing up at any angle you choose without fuss or fiddling and it's stable on any surface. I can use this on top of a spongy cushion or on my knee without it feeling awkward.

As for use case, I don't think it has huge advantages over a Chromebook. So it's subjective to a large degree. It's smaller and lighter with a better screen - but at a much higher cost obviously. It has a wide app selection allowing you to do more than you can on a Chromebook, but as you tend to mostly do web browsing I don't think that will be hugely important. It's a touch screen device which means it has more applications for gaming. I suppose it's also slicker (in terms of animations) than a Chromebook. Not a big thing, but important to some. It's just a goddamn sexy bit of kit!

Thanks for the response. I haven't seen the screen in person, but that resolution does look like it'll be great for comics and browsing the web. I've seen a Mac Book with retina display and the screen is gorgeous, so if the Pixel C is like that I can see why its desirable.

For me, it's like a mini laptop with the keyboard addon which has great travel depth considering how small it is and do all my web browsing on it, then if I want Hearthstone, it's quickly the most premium feeling Android tablet I've ever held. The screen is brilliant, it's fast and I haven't had to charge it during the day yet. Once it's off the charger about 9 am, it's only on it when I decide to go back to bed.

USB support of gamepads is also letting me emulate almost anything before the Wii.

Appreciate the response.

Hasney

Thanks for the response. I haven't seen the screen in person, but that resolution does look like it'll be great for comics and browsing the web. I've seen a Mac Book with retina display and the screen is gorgeous, so if the Pixel C is like that I can see why its desirable.

Yeah, the resolution is fantastic. Almost paid the extra to have a 4k screen on my laptop, but Windows scaling is horrible so glad to have the Pixel C at a higer resolution.

Lazy

I need a Nexus tablet for work and for compatibility it has to be running KitKat. Is it possible to downgrade a Nexus or other tablet (such as the Nexus 9 or Galaxy series) to KitKat?

Chorazin

I need a Nexus tablet for work and for compatibility it has to be running KitKat. Is it possible to downgrade a Nexus or other tablet (such as the Nexus 9 or Galaxy series) to KitKat?

Wow, really? KitKat? Holy shit. o_O

No one's making old ROMs for new hardware, AFAIK. Just buy a used Tab 10.1 or something on eBay.

Bboy AJ

I haven't used it much for video thus far - I'll have to check it out. Also, why would you need GPS on a tablet that only supports WiFi? (Asking AJ)
I don't need it but it's nice to have. I use Maps on my tablet. Though, at home, and never traveling. Still! Dammit, that's one more thing I'd have to downgrade.

zewone

I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to flash a stock Kit Kat ROM on a Nexus 7. Those images are usually provided by Google.

Bboy AJ

Buy my Nexus 10.

Elixtar

Has anyone else noticed faint horizontal lines (in landscape mode) on the Pixel C screen?

I know it is the digitizer on the IPS screen, but I've compared it to the similar screens on the Surface Pro 4 and iPad Pro, and neither of those has the same faint lines present.

Everyone raves about the display, yet nobody has mentioned this glaring issue, so I'm leaning towards this being a defect.

If anyone has an unused dev promo code, I would love to order another one to confirm (for my own sanity), since none exist in physical stores to compare to.

Bboy AJ

Has anyone else noticed faint horizontal lines (in landscape mode) on the Pixel C screen?

I know it is the digitizer on the IPS screen, but I've compared it to the similar screens on the Surface Pro 4 and iPad Pro, and neither of those has the same faint lines present.

Everyone raves about the display, yet nobody has mentioned this glaring issue, so I'm leaning towards this being a defect.

If anyone has an unused dev promo code, I would love to order another one to confirm (for my own sanity), since none exist in physical stores to compare to.

Go get your own. They're free.

Hasney

I've just nearly blinded myself pushing the screen to my face like it was VR to try and see them, and no. It was a light screen though, do they show more on a dark screen?

EDIT: Tried on a dark background too. Nothing.

Dobsie

What's the best app to open spreadsheets?
I need to open spreadsheets with visio drawings inserted in them for work, Polaris office is the only one I've found that consistenly enables me to do this.
The others I've tried don't always display the visio drawing, it's just a white blank area where the drawing is.
I'd like to move away from Polaris office as it runs pretty crap. Googles own spreadsheet app isn't much help, don't think it's been updated much recently, the screenshots on its playstore page still have the KitKat nav buttons lol

What's the best app to open spreadsheets?
I need to open spreadsheets with visio drawings inserted in them for work, Polaris office is the only one I've found that consistenly enables me to do this.
The others I've tried don't always display the visio drawing, it's just a white blank area where the drawing is.
I'd like to move away from Polaris office as it runs pretty crap. Googles own spreadsheet app isn't much help, don't think it's been updated much recently, the screenshots on its playstore page still have the KitKat nav buttons lol

Do you still need Office 365 for the Microsoft Office apps on Android and IOS?

Dobsie

Do you still need Office 365 for the Microsoft Office apps on Android and IOS?
I don't think so, I've downloaded excel and tried opening one of my work spreadsheets, it won't even open this one, it says "This version of excel can't open workbooks with: ActiveX Controls, OLE objects".

Chorazin

Definitely a defect, contact Google and get that shit replaced!

Pixel C is far and away better than any other android tablet out there. the rest comes down to preference of size. N changed the game. it's so much smoother on the Pixel C than it is on my 6P though. was at the hospital a couple weeks ago while my daughter was sedated. ended up charging my 6p with my pixel c since i wasn't using it more than the phone at the time.

that's more of a praise to USB C than it is to the Pixel, but just another all around benefit to having it i guess.

Elixtar

Go get your own. They're free.

I've been waiting one day and only have one week left to order the new one and return the old one. It doesn't hurt to ask if someone else is sitting on a code they won't use.

I've just nearly blinded myself pushing the screen to my face like it was VR to try and see them, and no. It was a light screen though, do they show more on a dark screen?

EDIT: Tried on a dark background too. Nothing.

They mostly show on white and light/bright colors. I appreciate you testing!

Definitely a defect, contact Google and get that shit replaced!

Thanks. I'll get a replacement because the rest of the tablet is fantastic.

Bboy AJ

I got my code almost instantly. Try again.

Anyone spend a decent amount of time with N on the Pixel C AND 6.0.1 with the March update?

I really want to put N on it but curious how smooth it will be. N on my 5x was not smooth and it is with the March security update.

ukas

Anyone spend a decent amount of time with N on the Pixel C AND 6.0.1 with the March update?

I really want to put N on it but curious how smooth it will be. N on my 5x was not smooth and it is with the March security update.

The only real issue I have is chrome locking up on me. Bring up the app switcher stops it, but it's annoying.

Someone here tell me why a Pixel C would be a better device to drop money on than the Surface 3 w/ 4 GB of RAM. Go!

I have a Surface Pro 2.

If your goal is to have a Windows laptop shaped like a tablet, get a Surface.

If your goal is to have an actual tablet, get an iPad or Pixel C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom