• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
I have a Surface Pro 2.

If your goal is to have a Windows laptop shaped like a tablet, get a Surface.

If your goal is to have an actual tablet, get an iPad or Pixel C.

Well I think there are serious implications once remix OS gets finalized this summer. That would certainly resolve the app issue and that OS looks like a better version of chrome OS. I think I would be able to set up dual boot or run it off a mini USB.

that's like asking someone to tell you why bicycle would be better than a car. what do you need it for?

At the end of the day, I think I care about Web browsing performance the most and streaming capabilities, which is what is what attracts me to Windows laptops. The thing I like about my Galaxy Tab S2 the most is the the portability and access to specific apps, mainly PS4 remote play, which works flawlessly when I travel and have a decent connection. I also enjoy the ambled screen for watching video. It also seems like multitasking on a Windows device would be superior and having a track pad on with a keyboard cover would be a more comfortable setup for me. With that said, I recently played around with an iPad Pro and really enjoyed the experience despite not having a trackpad. Also I want to have good battery for when I travel.

For everything I want, it looks like that Galaxy TabPro S checks all the boxes, but I'm not about to drop 900 USD on a device if can get something for much cheaper that will leave me nearly as satisfied. The attractive thing for me regarding the TabPro S is the battery life, decent keyboard, ambled screen, and performance, but it only has once USB C as a port.

Hasney

Well I think there are serious implications once remix OS gets finalized this summer. That would certainly resolve the app issue and that OS looks like a better version of chrome OS. I think I would be able to set up dual boot or run it off a mini USB.

Depends on the cost difference for me really. Here, the difference in money for the 64GB Pixel C (with the dev discount) and a keyboard was much cheaper than any Surface Pro (Other than the m3 versions... Ew) as I was looking at getting the latter until the Pixel C update hype happened. If the Remix OS was going to be the daily driver, it might be worth seeing what the full version of N brings, because full multi-window support is referenced in the N beta, so all the custom window shizz of Remix OS will be there at some point... Just a case of if it's N or O knowing Google.

reKon

Banned
Depends on the cost difference for me really. Here, the difference in money for the 64GB Pixel C (with the dev discount) and a keyboard was much cheaper than any Surface Pro (Other than the m3 versions... Ew) as I was looking at getting the latter until the Pixel C update hype happened. If the Remix OS was going to be the daily driver, it might be worth seeing what the full version of N brings, because full multi-window support is referenced in the N beta, so all the custom window shizz of Remix OS will be there at some point... Just a case of if it's N or O knowing Google.

Uh, the Core M3 still out performs Android tablets and the iPad Pro generally. I actually just found this article, which seems to be very relevant to me:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3046...-pro-vs-galaxy-tabpro-s-vs-surface-pro-4.html

Fanboys think because the iPad Pro puts up awesome geekbench 3 test results means that it's as powerful as desktop i5 processors. The other benchmarks and real life performance proves otherwise.

Hasney

Uh, the Core M3 still out performs Android tablets and the iPad Pro generally. I actually just found this article, which seems to be very relevant to me:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3046...-pro-vs-galaxy-tabpro-s-vs-surface-pro-4.html

Fanboys think because the iPad Pro puts up awesome geekbench 3 test results means that it's as powerful as desktop i5 processors. The other benchmarks and real life performance proves otherwise.

I played with one. It feels shit in Windows 10 to me and that's all that matters.

It was basically like my 8GB RAM AMD APU laptop. I mean, it worked, but some things were far too chuggy.

Hasney

hmm how does the Pixel C compare to say the nVidia Shield?
wonder how well it works for game streaming, etc

Pixel C is better in every where, except for gamestreaming interface. The NVidia official one is much better than Moonlight which you have to use on the C. I'd only consider a shield tablet if it was pretty damn cheap at this point.

reKon

Banned
I played with one. It feels shit in Windows 10 to me and that's all that matters.

It was basically like my 8GB RAM AMD APU laptop. I mean, it worked, but some things were far too chuggy.

What device with a Core M3 processor w/ Windows 10 was slow as shit? Browsing performance generally slays on these devices compares to both Android and iOS, especially with the Edge Browser. I've read or seen no impressions indicating otherwise. Typically the Core M3 limitation is when it comes doing video processing. Mutlitasking it can handle fine as long as you have enough RAM for your needs...

Hasney

What device with a Core M3 processor w/ Windows 10 was slow as shit? Browsing performance generally slays on these devices compares to both Android and iOS, especially with the Edge Browser. I've read or seen no impressions indicating otherwise. Typically the Core M3 limitation is when it comes doing video processing. Mutlitasking it can handle fine as long as you have enough RAM for your needs...

Did my usual of 5 tabs and a YouTube tab in Chrome and it started getting a bit jerky since that's what gets my laptop. But I mean, it's Windows, it could have just needed an update, or drivers or some other crap had been done to it (store model), but it put me off for the price.

And then ad blockers will circumvent the detection.
And then sites will...
etc.

Cause I want my web surfing on a schedule like anti-virus

#Debate start
We all can agree that we wouldn't pay for most of the stuff we view for free
We all can agree advertisement companies are taking it too far
#Debate over

Megasoum

Banned
I got the 6.0.1 update on my Motorola X Play last night and since then I have issues waking the phone up after it's been locked.

I have to press the Power button multiple times.

The screen get very very lightly lit when I press power button doesn't actually turn on until I mash the button.

I suspect that the update might have broken the Motorola notification bubble thing?

Anybody knows how to fix that?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That dude paid $230 to frustrate himself.

Noema

I got the 6.0.1 update on my Motorola X Play last night and since then I have issues waking the phone up after it's been locked.

I have to press the Power button multiple times.

The screen get very very lightly lit when I press power button doesn't actually turn on until I mash the button.

I suspect that the update might have broken the Motorola notification bubble thing?

Anybody knows how to fix that?

I'd go for a factory reset after a major upgrade. Give it a shot.

Sony doing well keeping their lineup of phones the worst ones on the planet.

Marshmallow update just came out in Canada for the Z5 Premium and all hell broke loose. Seeing multiple phones crashing now and "xperia home has stopped working".

Sony phones really are the worst.

akileese

What's the consensus around here on the Galaxy S7 Edge? I've got a Nexus 6 and I love it, but I've heard a lot of incredibly good and enticing things about it that are making me consider making the switch. I'm mostly worried about going from stock to touchwiz.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
HTC-One-M10-benchmark-new.jpg

benchmarks don't matter, of course, still interesting to note

Chorazin

What's the consensus around here on the Galaxy S7 Edge? I've got a Nexus 6 and I love it, but I've heard a lot of incredibly good and enticing things about it that are making me consider making the switch. I'm mostly worried about going from stock to touchwiz.

I made that exact switch. The S7E is hands down the superior phone IMO. I'm not big into rooting or ROMs or whatever, so not being able to do that is a non-issue, but if you are then that is going to be a deal breaker.

IMO Touchwiz is just fine. The menus are totally functional and if you don't like TouchWiz as a launcher just install Nova and all the Touchwiz you'll see will be the menus. :)

akileese

I made that exact switch. The S7E is hands down the superior phone IMO. I'm not big into rooting or ROMs or whatever, so not being able to do that is a non-issue, but if you are then that is going to be a deal breaker.

IMO Touchwiz is just fine. The menus are totally functional and if you don't like TouchWiz as a launcher just install Nova and all the Touchwiz you'll see will be the menus. :)

That's what I was thinking. I might head over to T-Mobile tonight. I have 0 down credit. I love google play music, but the ability to drop a 256gb SD card in there and have my ENTIRE music collection on my phone is enticing.

e: Yeah I heard that Touchwiz has improved infinitely from back in the day. I want to play with one first and see how I dig the interface.

Aiii

So not worth it
If Stock is why you went Nexus, you'll probably won't love making a switch to Samsung. Especially if you care about getting the newest Android update quickly.

If not, I'm sure it's fine to switch. There isn't remotely as much difference between Android vanilla and Touchwiz as there used to be.

Noema

Other than being first in line for updates and having access to stuff like the Android previews I'm pretty sure the S7E is superior in every single way to the N6.

akileese

Other than being first in line for updates and having access to stuff like the Android previews I'm pretty sure the S7E is superior in every single way to the N6.

Yeah and I play Puzzle and Dragon pretty religiously, so being first in line for upgrades isn't even a big deal for me anymore. If it is, I can just root it and flash the thing.

If anything is stopping me right now it's Android N. I might want to wait until it comes out and is supported natively by Samsung. I'm not having problems with my N6 really, just considering an upgrade.

Exis

Is there anything in the sub 300 range that has front facing speakers?
The Blu one X shattered on me and I am back to my 2nd gen Moto X and I can't find much better out there.

Chorazin

Anyone who owns a Pixel C, can you give me some pros and cons about the device? I'm looking to buy one soon ��

PROS: It's fucking awesome. Build quality, screen, hardware, all great. If you get one of the keyboard they're both super cool in different ways. Can easily work with a mouse.

CONS: It's fucking expensive. If you're super sensitive to motion blur you might be put off like a few people here, no built in GPS, no NFC.

Yeah and I play Puzzle and Dragon pretty religiously, so being first in line for upgrades isn't even a big deal for me anymore. If it is, I can just root it and flash the thing.

If anything is stopping me right now it's Android N. I might want to wait until it comes out and is supported natively by Samsung. I'm not having problems with my N6 really, just considering an upgrade.

Not if you're in the US with a Snapdragon phone homie....

akileese

PROS: It's fucking awesome. Build quality, screen, hardware, all great. If you get one of the keyboard they're both super cool in different ways. Can easily work with a mouse.

CONS: It's fucking expensive. If you're super sensitive to motion blur you might be put off like a few people here, no built in GPS, no NFC.

Yeah pass then. I probably wasn't going to root my phone, but I like the option to be able to if I'm having seriously issues with things like battery life. I'll just deal until the next set of Nexus phones get released (or get a 6P).

Hasney

Agree with all that, other than expensive. The 25% developer discount makes it real good. Would add that battery life is also insane, 8 hours SOT with some Hearthstone games and the bluetooth keyboard mostly connected is brilliant.

I'd add the weird aspect ratio makes watching videos weird, but since noone else has backed me up on that, it might be personal. Speakers are also "OK". Better than my laptop and HDX 7, but I don't know what the standard of speakers on tablets is at right now to properly compare.

Chorazin

Agree with all that, other than expensive. The 25% developer discount makes it real good. Would add that battery life is also insane, 8 hours SOT with some Hearthstone games and the bluetooth keyboard mostly connected is brilliant.

I'd add the weird aspect ratio makes watching videos weird, but since noone else has backed me up on that, it might be personal. Speakers are also "OK". Better than my laptop and HDX 7, but I don't know what the standard of speakers on tablets is at right now to properly compare.

The code thing is still going on? Well ok then, scratch that negative. They really should just cut the damn price if they're going to keep giving away codes like this.

Sounds good. I'm not much of a mobile gamer but I'll be using it to mostly read and stuff. I have an iPad Mini 2 but I want to give Android Tablets a chance again. I got burned by the Asus that came out in 2010..i forgot the name lol. But that battery life sounds like my alley. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom