• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

The code thing is still going on? Well ok then, scratch that negative. They really should just cut the damn price if they're going to keep giving away codes like this.

The offer is soooo limited, it's redeemable until July 15th. Honestly think it's going to end up like an XBox price drop though and until July, they're just going to make some extra margin on random suckers who don't know about it.

Noema

Went in to watch BvS, set my phone to airplane mode as I always do at movie theaters. After the movie I realize 15% of the battery drained during the movie. Awake bar is a solid green. Google play services: 10% drain in 2.5h.

*sigh*

AndyD

aka andydumi
Went in to watch BvS, set my phone to airplane mode as I always do at movie theaters. After the movie I realize 15% of the battery drained during the movie. Awake bar is a solid green. Google play services: 10% drain in 2.5h.

*sigh*

The worst part is that some apps hide their activity behind Play Services, so it's not always Google's fault. But they are far far from perfect. A phone in airplane mode and with the screen off should pretty last for days in my opinion.

3phemeral

*sigh*

I remember having my Moto 360 connected and I set it to theater mode. I had the phone set to have silent notifications when it was connected during the movie and as a double precaution, I turned off all sound. My watch died at some point during the movie even with 60% charge.

Sometime near the end of the movie, my phone started reading off my texts one by one like I was in driving mode and I later figured out...the phone reverts to full sound if the watch disconnects.... Even if you manually set it to silent, it gets reverted upon watch disconnect.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google Services battery drain is the worst thing about Android. It's really difficult to diagnose and 90% of those affected just pray. Google needs to address it somehow. Whatever devs use it opaquely need to be banned. Or Google needs to figure a way to let us see what's what. If Services needs to exist, ok, just be transparent about it.

NotBacon

Yeah, the N6 is a garbage phone all the way around.

Just stopping by to drop off this response:
giphy.gif

Not sure where this goes, but apparently, the wrong house got demolished by a demolition company due to a Google Maps error...oops.

Link.

*sigh*

The worst part is that some apps hide their activity behind Play Services, so it's not always Google's fault. But they are far far from perfect. A phone in airplane mode and with the screen off should pretty last for days in my opinion.

Google Services battery drain is the worst thing about Android. It's really difficult to diagnose and 90% of those affected just pray. Google needs to address it somehow. Whatever devs use it opaquely need to be banned. Or Google needs to figure a way to let us see what's what. If Services needs to exist, ok, just be transparent about it.

Good thing that I found & bought both "Airplane Mode Pro" & "Battery Saver Lollipop Pro" from Florian Draschbacher.

You guys should definitely get them.

ArchAngel

Just remember that N is still in a SUPER EARLY ALPHA/BETA right now. It's working great but there is still some jank that happens.

Yeah, I know as a Nexus fanboy (love it on my 6P) :D

I have to say that I love Android on mobile, but after MANY tablets (iPad, iPad3, iPad Mini 3, iPad Air, Nexus 7 2012, Nexus 7 2013, Kindle Fire HDX, Acer Iconia, Shield Tablet, Nexus 9) I am burned on using Android on phone AND tablet. I always liked to play around with iPad apps as they simply were better optimised for a tablet than the scaled Android apps. And the screens ... boy the Android tablets have bad screens. The worst tablet I ever had was the Nexus 9. Sticky back, DAMN BAD screen bleeding, slow ,full RAM errors and simply boring. I could see the battery dying on me, even in standby.

Well, now I got the Pixel C and after the setup I got the march update. Now I'm downloading a couple of apps (new and old), play around and my opinion for today:
This is the best tablet I've ever used. Android N is making this so much better, but even with Marshmallow this thing just flies (and I never said this to any tablet, not even iPads). The build quality is on par with the iPads IMO, the sound is great and the screen is awesome - a bit blurry on slow moving text, but other tablets got that worse. Not the slightest sign of bleeding, no dead pixel, Colors are great, speaker good and even though I didn't like the color band on the back - I love it lighting up in real. It just looks better than in the videos on the net.

500€? Yeah, it's much, but with the march update and N coming it's woth it for me. A Nexus Pixel phone would kill everything IMO, would buy it at a high price!

If the battery is as good as many state, this will be the only tablet I don't send back.

Yeah, I know as a Nexus fanboy (love it on my 6P) :D

I have to say that I love Android on mobile, but after MANY tablets (iPad, iPad3, iPad Mini 3, iPad Air, Nexus 7 2012, Nexus 7 2013, Kindle Fire HDX, Acer Iconia, Shield Tablet, Nexus 9) I am burned on using Android on phone AND tablet. I always liked to play around with iPad apps as they simply were better optimised for a tablet than the scaled Android apps. And the screens ... boy the Android tablets have bad screens. The worst tablet I ever had was the Nexus 9. Sticky back, DAMN BAD screen bleeding, slow ,full RAM errors and simply boring. I could see the battery dying on me, even in standby.

Well, now I got the Pixel C and after the setup I got the march update. Now I'm downloading a couple of apps (new and old), play around and my opinion for today:
This is the best tablet I've ever used. Android N is making this so much better, but even with Marshmallow this thing just flies (and I never said this to any tablet, not even iPads). The build quality is on par with the iPads IMO, the sound is great and the screen is awesome - a bit blurry on slow moving text, but other tablets got that worse. Not the slightest sign of bleeding, no dead pixel, Colors are great, speaker good and even though I didn't like the color band on the back - I love it lighting up in real. It just looks better than in the videos on the net.

500€? Yeah, it's much, but with the march update and N coming it's woth it for me. A Nexus Pixel phone would kill everything IMO, would buy it at a high price!

If the battery is as good as many state, this will be the only tablet I don't send back.

I totally agree. Have you noticed worse performance and many more crashes on N vs M with March update? I want to go to N but scared to leave this perfect performance. Performance was bad with N on the 5x.

yogloo

Truer words have never been spoken. The way Google is dealing with it is shameful.

Samsung literally just launched the S7 and they're doing huge OEM funded sales right now across all carriers in canada (not sure about usa, never checked). Over 100 bucks off.

Aka their launch sales are absolutely horrible and they want to try to boost them so it doesn't look as bad when they announce their launch numbers. But it basically means the phone bombed worse than the s6 because those sales didn't start till later.

Samsung literally just launched the S7 and they're doing huge OEM funded sales right now across all carriers in canada (not sure about usa, never checked). Over 100 bucks off.

Aka their launch sales are absolutely horrible and they want to try to boost them so it doesn't look as bad when they announce their launch numbers. But it basically means the phone bombed worse than the s6 because those sales didn't start till later.

Time for Google to swoop in and do a HUGE Nexus push this summer/fall. I doubt they have enough clout to work with the carrier's yet though.

j-wood

So I just got the huawei smart watch to go along with my 6P, loving it so far. I figured I would try out using google fit first, over the built in stuff by huawei.

Google fit is super confusing. Should I have it activated on the watch, but leave activity detection on my phone turned off? It seems silly to have both devices working and conflicting, on top of the phone battery drain. Will it still work with it off on the phone?

Also for some reason, the web GUI isn't updating with my stuff at all. What am I missing here?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/netflix-throttles-its-videos-on-at-t-verizon-phones-1458857424
Verizon and AT&T said they don’t throttle or manipulate video content. “Verizon delivers video content at the resolution provided by the host service, whether that’s Netflix or any other provider,” a Verizon spokesman said.

“We’re outraged to learn that Netflix is apparently throttling video for their AT&T customers without their knowledge or consent,” said Jim Cicconi, AT&T’s senior executive vice president of external and legislative affairs.
lol

They were doing buy 1 get 1 free right at launch.

It's too bad I'm a Note person or I would be all over that.

They shouldn't have made them so bloody expensive from the start.

Time for Google to swoop in and do a HUGE Nexus push this summer/fall. I doubt they have enough clout to work with the carriers yet though.

I agree, though I suspect that they won't release their new phones until fall like usual (or will wait until Android N is the standard, whichever comes first).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sucks for anyone who paid full price for an S7. Damn, I feel bad. Go join the Pixel C buyers.

Finally... Android M is rolling out to my Note 4!

Very interested to hear your impressions of it. I'm on AT&T so I'll (hopefully) be getting it soon-ish.

Of all the M improvements I think I'll enjoy the granular app permissions and automatic app backup, I just hope AT&T or Samsung don't fuck with those somehow. I'd also hate it if the battery got worse, which seems like kind of a crapshoot when it comes to updates for my phones.
Time for Google to swoop in and do a HUGE Nexus push this summer/fall. I doubt they have enough clout to work with the carrier's yet though.
That would be great for me. I'm thinking about getting into Google Fi since it seems really affordable and I'm doing a trip to Europe later this year and they don't charge extra for that.

I think the Google Fi Nexus 5X deal is pretty great, but I'd much prefer to get the Nexus 6P (mainly for the storage space), so if that gets a decent discount I think I'll definitely jump at a 64GB or 128GB model (depending on how affordable they are).

Sounds great.

Finally... Android M is rolling out to my Note 4!

Finally? You don't even need M. It only does things TouchWiz already did in 2011.

j-wood

Another weird thing I've discovered with the Huawei watch. So I tested out doing a phone call on the watch with the speaker, and it worked great. This of course had to turn on phone audio for bluetooth for the watch from the phone.

The problem is, when I make a phone call from the 6p now, the audio works fine, but the screen never shuts off when I put the phone to my face, because it has bluetooth selected in the drop down because of the watch. I either have to change to handset every time, or disable phone audio for the watch in the bluetooth settings.

Am I missing something or is this normal? This is the shit that is so frustrating with android.

Khayam

Banned
Is there a Samsung S6/Edge OT ? I have had mine for a year and I want to install a custom ROM with Marshmallow but can't figure out where to start... So many aspects (root, bootloader, kernel, Odin, TWRP, Knox...) and I can't find a single tutorial that takes it from the start....

Any help would be hugely appeciated.

Wreav

Banned
Is there a Samsung S6/Edge OT ? I have had mine for a year and I want to install a custom ROM with Marshmallow but can't figure out where to start... So many aspects (root, bootloader, kernel, Odin, TWRP, Knox...) and I can't find a single tutorial that takes it from the start....

Any help would be hugely appeciated.

That's what XDA is for, my good dude.

Khayam

Banned
That's what XDA is for, my good dude.

Well, I've obviously been there but I have no clue where to start.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6-edge/general

Do I need to root my phone ?
If so, what are the different options for doing so ?
Do I need to unlock the bootloader ?
What 6.0 roms are available to me ?
Is there something I need to check to see if my phone is ready for this ?

I just can't find a step by step guide, they all assume that you know everything there is to know adjust drop a zip file and tell you how to install that with warning all over the places that it might brick your phone.

3 years ago I installed CyanogenMod on my Xperia Z and I remember finding it much easier.

jokkir

How's the Nexus 5X battery. I'm really in the need of buying a new phone since my Nexus 4 broke and looking at the 5X. If the battery is similar to the Nexus 4 though... eh. There doesn't seem to be a USB-C adapter either :\

Actually, how's the phone as a whole

Bboy AJ

How's the Nexus 5X battery. I'm really in the need of buying a new phone since my Nexus 4 broke and looking at the 5X. If the battery is similar to the Nexus 4 though... eh. There doesn't seem to be a USB-C adapter either :

Actually, how's the phone as a whole
It's fine. It's no 6P but it's totally usable for most people day to day.

Khayam

Banned
I just tried to flash the boot loader at the first step to flash a custom ROM and my phone is stuck on the starting screen (white text on black background). There is nothing I can do, power button seems unresponsive.

This is the log from Odin :

8542cb9db37e84483d1f40387f70b7bef6cb4461.png

This might as well be chinese.

Edit : I'm actually able to access Download Mode. Should I proceed with the flash of the Modem and Rom or should I worry of that fact that I'm unable to go past the loading screen ?

Edit 2 : I proceeded and flashed the modem and now flashing the recovery. Phone is stuck on the recovery flashing, Odin said everything was OK but the progress bar in Download Mode has a millimetre yet to go. It's been ages now..

Edit 3 : ffs, I forgot to load the rom on the phone before all of this. I can't transfer it while in recovery for some obscure reason. Gonna need to flash an official rom and start over.

Khayam

Banned
I just tried to flash the boot loader at the first step to flash a custom ROM and my phone is stuck on the starting screen (white text on black background). There is nothing I can do, power button seems unresponsive.

This is the log from Odin :

8542cb9db37e84483d1f40387f70b7bef6cb4461.png

This might as well be chinese.

Edit : I'm actually able to access Download Mode. Should I proceed with the flash of the Modem and Rom or should I worry of that fact that I'm unable to go past the loading screen ?

Edit 2 : I proceeded and flashed the modem and now flashing the recovery. Phone is stuck on the recovery flashing, Odin said everything was OK but the progress bar in Download Mode has a millimetre yet to go. It's been ages now..

Edit 3 : ffs, I forgot to load the rom on the phone before all of this. I can't transfer it while in recovery for some obscure reason. Gonna need to flash an official rom and start over.

My man...if you get your phone back to a working state, just leave it be.

your phone will say the same thing lol. I will never get messing phones that are completely fine.

The adventure continues !

96f4c2da577d4835b66c6f161633f93af79faea0.png

Gaf how is nexus 6 for 270$?
I feel like that's kind of expensive given the recent price drops of the Nexus 5X. The Nexus 6 is still a great phone if you can handle the size, but with the Nexus 5X 32GB being available for roughly that price after tax through Project Fi I would have a hard time saying that is a good deal.

I feel like that's kind of expensive given the recent price drops of the Nexus 5X. The Nexus 6 is still a great phone if you can handle the size, but with the Nexus 5X 32GB being available for roughly that price after tax through Project Fi I would have a hard time saying that is a good deal.

Plus the Nexus 6 was $199-$250 brand new through the holidays on Amazon. The screen is also horrible on it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone at this point unless you could get it for like $100-$150.

Fezan

That's too much for that phone.

Plus the Nexus 6 was $199-$250 brand new through the holidays on Amazon. The screen is also horrible on it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone at this point unless you could get it for like $100-$150.

Thanks for the responses. I don't live in US so don't have that much deals here. So 5x is better than 6 ? Its just a 30usd more for 16gb version or i can spend another hundred and get a g4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom