• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

5X is easily the best Android phone you can buy price wise in USA.

Thanks for the responses. I don't live in US so don't have that much deals here. So 5x is better than 6 ? Its just a 30usd more for 16gb version or i can spend another hundred and get a g4

LG G4 has one model with an unlockable bootloader (European version). If you value installing CM mods updates once the manufacturer retires the phone, that's something to consider.

Otherwise, 5X is Google backed and has easy directions to unlock the bootloader once Google stops officially supporting it.

Noema

Gaf how is nexus 6 for 270$?

It's not bad, specially outside the US. Is it brand new?

You can do worse than the nexus 6. The screen is dim but you can calibrate it with a custom kernel. And with N you won't even have to root to calibrate.

Other than the shit screen the N6 is solid. CPU is still fast. 3GB of RAM which IMO make it more future proof than the 5X. Battery is fairly big at 3220mah. Camera is decent and it also takes acceptable low light shots.

ArchAngel

I totally agree. Have you noticed worse performance and many more crashes on N vs M with March update? I want to go to N but scared to leave this perfect performance. Performance was bad with N on the 5x.

Performance on N is worse on any device I tried. Yeah, a couple of problems with Hunble Bundle games I tired, performance is really not as smooth as on M/March, but Splitscreen is fun. But I roll back to M as I can play on my 6P with Android N and prefer performance and a reliable Doze over new features from an alpha.

Still, best tablet to my surprise. Loving it almost every hour ^^

Hasney

Yeah, I'm rolling back to M on the Pixel C. N mostly works, but there's a few crashes and freezes here and there just enough to be annoying as a daily driver.

Will probably re-enroll if that multi window thing happens.

j-wood

So much for doze. I had 69% battery when j went to bed last night, so figured I'd see how it did without charging. Woke up to 59% on my 6p. Ugh,come the fuck on Android.

Performance on N is worse on any device I tried. Yeah, a couple of problems with Hunble Bundle games I tired, performance is really not as smooth as on M/March, but Splitscreen is fun. But I roll back to M as I can play on my 6P with Android N and prefer performance and a reliable Doze over new features from an alpha.

Still, best tablet to my surprise. Loving it almost every hour ^^

Good to know. Thanks

Halp me GAF, I've got the itch! I don't in any way need a new phone, I'm workin a 6 month old N6. I am ridiculously close to impulse buying either a 6p, Galaxy 7 or a G5, tell me the jump up isn't that big so I can move on...

j-wood

Halp me GAF, I've got the itch! I don't in any way need a new phone, I'm workin a 6 month old N6. I am ridiculously close to impulse buying either a 6p, Galaxy 7 or a G5, tell me the jump up isn't that big so I can move on...

I just went from a 6 to a 6p and don't regret the decision at all

The N6 was my first Nexus device and stock really is the shit plus N is bringing multi window support, that's the only thing others have that I've really wanted, these large screens cry for it. Hows the 6p. Camera? I've read the reviews and they're all glowing, would u say it's a big step up, I find the N6 to be meh.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I also went from N6 to 6P. Big jump. Worth it if money isn't a big concern. The N6 is still a decent phone imo.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Weird after the March update my Bluetooth headset volume is separate from the phone volume levels now. Using Jaybird X2's
This garbage always happens. My LG Tone+ headset is unbearably loud. There's no way to adjust the volume.

get the GS7 if you want to have advanced features that may make it into stock Android in time for Reeses Pieces.

If you don't tell people to buy stock Android they come back a year later saying they are going to buy an iPhone bc they want updates and security.

so much false here. Most of the people buy phone based on company name and budget. people buy samsung, sony , apple or phone that fits their budget. they do not give left nut about what version of android they are running. they see software that came with the phone and that is it.

so much false here. Most of the people buy phone based on company name and budget. people buy samsung, sony , apple or phone that fits their budget. they do not give left nut about what version of android they are running. they see software that came with the phone and that is it.

Your knowledge is outdated. People are slowly becoming more aware especially with the san bernardino situation with Apple. They also notice when a nasty bug doesn't get fixed and their phone experience goes down the toilet. The Verizon S5 is still on 5.0. Do you have any clue how shitty Android 5.0 is?

Let me rephrase this for you. The United States largest carrier and the largest selling Android manufacturer's flagship phone from 2014 is still running Samsung's Rom of Android 5.0. That means all those people that bought this phone are running this laggy, battery hogging mess. You think consumers dont notice this? People leave Android in droves because of this crap.

Exis

I pulled the trigger on a 5X today, I can't do the 6 was too big in my hand. Did the Ebay 32gig deal so waiting on a shipping- hopefully this can last longer than my last phone.

Your knowledge is outdated. People are slowly becoming more aware especially with the san bernardino situation with Apple. They also notice when a nasty bug doesn't get fixed and their phone experience goes down the toilet. The Verizon S5 is still on 5.0. Do you have any clue how shitty Android 5.0 is?

Let me rephrase this for you. The United States largest carrier and the largest selling Android manufacturer's flagship phone from 2014 is still running Samsung's Rom of Android 5.0. That means all those people that bought this phone are running this laggy, battery hogging mess. You think consumers dont notice this? People leave Android in droves because of this crap.

pretty sure Verizon got 5.1 last year.

Chorazin

Actual comic page or Pixel C?

hYd2eNu.jpg

Pixel C. Fucking love this screen!

According to my coworker who has an S5 with Verizon he is still on 5.0. Some of the other carriers pushed 5.1 but according to him he never got it.

hrm. looks like Verizon is still on 5.0 indeed.

Verizon holds up 5.1

people 'in the know' then "leave Android" instead of "leave Verizon"

reward bad behavior *shrug*

zewone

Verizon holds up 5.1

Changing carriers isn't going to change anything. They're all slow with updates or refuse to put the time into a phone that 'old'.

Verizon holds up 5.1

Its true though which freaking sucks.

Changing carriers isn't going to change anything. They're all slow with updates or refuse to put the time into a phone that 'old'.

Its not even just carriers putting the time into old phones. Its also OEMs that cant afford or want to pay for the lab testing that companies like verizon do. Testing that Android phones are "required" to do and pay for yet Apple gets to avoid all of it.

How fucked up is that?

Chorazin

Nice, what's the main difference between pixel and other tablets?

Google designed and made, so it's a Nexus device in all but name. Screen resolution of a piece of A1 paper, so it's great for reading comics and manga (or business documents if you're into being productive.) Back is a slab of aluminum. Read over the past few pages for lots of discussion on it!

jwk94

Because casuals don't know the difference?

As an enthusiast you would be doing yourself a disfavor choosing otherwise.

An an enthusiast, I hate stock Android. It's so basic and lacks features that other OEMs have on their handsets. The only exception would be Motorola with their Moto Actions.

Chorazin

O...... M....... G. That puts my iPad Mini to shame. Ok... That's it. I'm convinced, and I needed this exactly for better comic book reading.

You can't even see those lines with the naked eye either, those are just from the refresh rate. It looks perfect in hand, 99% like paper I think.

Fezan

So guys confusion again.

This time its between Nexus 5x vs Galaxy A5 2016 . Both can be had for same price I know gx has better processor but A5 has that amoled and dual sim option. So which one has better camera ? I don't care about updates as much if phone stable and dont hate touch wiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom