• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So guys confusion again.

This time its between Nexus 5x vs Galaxy A5 2016 . Both can be had for same price I know gx has better processor but A5 has that amoled and dual sim option. So which one has better camera ? I don't care about updates as much if phone stable and dont hate touch wiz
nexus in every way, including camera.

Your knowledge is outdated. People are slowly becoming more aware especially with the san bernardino situation with Apple. They also notice when a nasty bug doesn't get fixed and their phone experience goes down the toilet. The Verizon S5 is still on 5.0. Do you have any clue how shitty Android 5.0 is?

Let me rephrase this for you. The United States largest carrier and the largest selling Android manufacturer's flagship phone from 2014 is still running Samsung's Rom of Android 5.0. That means all those people that bought this phone are running this laggy, battery hogging mess. You think consumers dont notice this? People leave Android in droves because of this crap.

I do not disagree on status of updates. It is sad to see so much fragmentation. Android should have bottom layer that is directly updated by google. outer layer should be customization by other party.

I have lg g3 that is on that. runs fine. People run windows xp still and are satisfied with it. you are over estimating how much shit is given by normal crowd. They do not recognize kitkat or lollipop.

People buy apple phone more because they are windows of this phone generation. They are easy to use and are status symbol.

None of my cowrokers know what system version they are running ( ios or android) no shits given. I had to tell them that few of them had 6.0. they just looked at me asked what is the difference.

Phones are virtually identical at this point. Even though everyone hates touchwiz here. Touchwiz is android for millions of people. that is all they know. Stock android is just now getting features that have been around since 2012.

So guys confusion again.

This time its between Nexus 5x vs Galaxy A5 2016 . Both can be had for same price I know gx has better processor but A5 has that amoled and dual sim option. So which one has better camera ? I don't care about updates as much if phone stable and dont hate touch wiz

NX is better phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The general public cares not at all for updates. They just don't.

Forum users act like they care. Then Google edition OEM phones came out and bombed. That's what Google gets for listening to forum users.

Forum users act like they care. Then Google edition OEM phones came out and bombed. That's what Google gets for listening to forum users.

Honestly I don't even care either. I care in the fact that oh man updates are cool, but in the end I'm like eh my phone is fine with or without it. I upgrade a bunch of times anyway so I never feel outdated for the most part. Plus alot of the times these new software updates are almost like beta testers (ie 5.0) so I'm fine with waiting for a stable version.

all android phones are bombing though, except the ones that are 150 bucks

zewone

except changing carriers would change everything since everyone else got it last year. Verizon!

Sure, it would help, but who cares about 5.1 when 6.0 is out and N is on the horizon?

If you really care about getting updates, then get a Nexus.

If you don't care about updates, get whatever the hell you want.

You guys are missing half my point. Shitty updates happen that ruin phones. If they don't get fixed with a second update said user will get sick of shit and bounce to an iPhone. It not just about getting feature updates. Its about getting a phone fixed.

In fact I was just in a bar Friday night and some lady was complaining to my friend with an S6. She said she just got some marshmallow update and now her phone constantly freezes when she texts. They both had s6 which is why the convo started. The lady I didn't know was on US Cellular and my friend had an s6 with Verizon so had no clue what marshmallow was yet (they knew lollipop).

I stayed out of it because I didn't want to mess with switching a text app or clearing cache on a stranger's phone. I just said go to us Cellular or wait for an update to come.

How long do you think it will take us Cellular and Samsung to send an update to fix this freezing issue when texting?

Still think updates aren't important to the general public?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
all android phones are bombing though, except the ones that are 150 bucks
Those Google developer edition OEM phones bombed harder than anything else. And it was hilarious. Just desserts and a prime example of people never putting their money where their mouth is.

Those Google developer edition OEM phones bombed harder than anything else. And it was hilarious. Just desserts and a prime example of people never putting their money where their mouth is.

That's a terrible comparison. Those phones were not subsidized or sold in carrier stores. They were also competing with Nexus phones that were somewhat subsidized and in carrier stores depending on the year.

So guys confusion again.

5x.

Talon

Did somebody just claim Windows was easy-to-use and a status symbol in the 90s?

haxm-error.png
c01906522.jpg

19042011180628f.jpg
regedit-win8.png
compaq5510.jpg
Windows_9X_BSOD.png

windows-10-installation-errors.png

Talon

lol and is iphone really a status symbol when literally everybody has one
If you try to use Azure Active Directory, there are four different sites you can use to login, and there are three different GUIs - Powershell (obvy), Classic, and Modern. You can do everything in Powershell. You can do most of the things in Classic. You can do a smaller set of things in Modern.

Why? The fuck if I know.

reKon

Banned
You guys are missing half my point. Shitty updates happen that ruin phones. If they don't get fixed with a second update said user will get sick of shit and bounce to an iPhone. It not just about getting feature updates. Its about getting a phone fixed.

In fact I was just in a bar Friday night and some lady was complaining to my friend with an S6. She said she just got some marshmallow update and now her phone constantly freezes when she texts. They both had s6 which is why the convo started. The lady I didn't know was on US Cellular and my friend had an s6 with Verizon so had no clue what marshmallow was yet (they knew lollipop).

I stayed out of it because I didn't want to mess with switching a text app or clearing cache on a stranger's phone. I just said go to us Cellular or wait for an update to come.

How long do you think it will take us Cellular and Samsung to send an update to fix this freezing issue when texting?

Should have told her to try resetting her phone. Nice job.

Shiggy

Vote with your pockets. I will never buy a Samsung phone again.

Admodieus

Yeah, this is an often overlooked point. 5.0.2 is a more important update than 5.0 was. Everybody wants the big feature updates but the bug fix ones are often more important or more critical to the user experience. It's why I can still only recommend Nexus devices to people, as it increases the chances that life altering bugs or performance hitches get addressed promptly.

Bboy AJ

That's a terrible comparison. Those phones were not subsidized or sold in carrier stores. They were also competing with Nexus phones that were somewhat subsidized and in carrier stores depending on the year.
Disagree. People always talk about how they'd buy X OEM phone if it were stock. That means phone and all, including price and competitors.

We saw all that mouth flapping in the OT all the time. No one bought one LOL

Disagree. People always talk about how they'd buy X OEM phone if it were stock. That means phone and all, including price and competitors.

If you are talking just Android geeks I agree that they didn't follow through with buying them. It wouldn't have mattered if they would have though. It wouldn't have been enough sales to keep OEMs interested.

EmiPrime

The Google Edition phones were never sold outside the US and they were very expensive.

Nobody was going to buy a $600 or $650 HTC or Samsung phone with stock Android especially after the Nexus 5 launched at $350.

reKon

Banned
Don't try to manipulate the debate. I'll take this response as you think I am right and that I have a good point.

You're welcome.

I'm just saying that this could have potentially solved her problem, lol... People dirty flash stock roms and run into issues on rooted phones. I've seen people have many issues solved when factory reseting their phone after a major update.

Bboy AJ

The Google Edition phones were never sold outside the US and they were very expensive.

Nobody was going to buy a $600 or $650 HTC or Samsung phone with stock Android especially after the Nexus 5 launched at $350.
That's a rethinking of history. OEMs had better hardware. People wanted it with stock Android. Of course they were going to cost OEM prices. That's no surprise. And of course the Nexus launched cheaper. Also no surprise. The posting was all about how OEM hardware was better and the price premium was worth it if it had stock.

Well, it launched and everyone was quick to not buy it. As usual. Lots of talkers but no one will put up the money. Check the previous OTs for actual history. The Nexus had nothing to do with the failing of people to follow through. It had to do with a better option, sure, but again, everyone wanted stock OEM phones.

Wreav

Banned

That's because an extremely small subset of noisy nerds doesn't equal real world demographics.

???????????????????????

but people pay those prices for them without stock Android

That's because an extremely small subset of noisy nerds doesn't equal real world demographics.

This is true in all technology industries. Most people just don't care, you pretty much have to be a phone enthusiast to care. On the iWay, people complain about forced OS upgrades when it slows their phones down. You can't win.

Mush

Alright, I caved in and bought myself a Xperia Z5 Compact, but I need advice on a case. Looking for something along the lines of an Otterbox Defender. Is Casemate the only option I have?

Nightbird

Guys, I need your help:

I'm currently eyeing a used Motorola G3 (8GB) for 100 Bucks.

My current phone is an Acer Liquid z520 (8GB).
Should I bite or not? My current one would become my little brothers phone, since his phone is about to completely give up on him. (it's some weird China phone from a brand called Cubot)

Hasney

The difference being that a loud subset of nerds are usually the first ones into a new tech product regardless of what it is. They just can't sustain a new product in an existing already popular sector.

Nightbird

Guys, I need your help:

I'm currently eyeing a used Motorola G3 (8GB) for 100 Bucks.

My current phone is an Acer Liquid z520 (8GB).
Should I bite or not? My current one would become my little brothers phone, since his phone is about to completely give up on him. (it's some weird China phone from a brand called Cubot)

Please?

EmiPrime

That's a rethinking of history. OEMs had better hardware. People wanted it with stock Android. Of course they were going to cost OEM prices. That's no surprise. And of course the Nexus launched cheaper. Also no surprise. The posting was all about how OEM hardware was better and the price premium was worth it if it had stock.

Well, it launched and everyone was quick to not buy it. As usual. Lots of talkers but no one will put up the money. Check the previous OTs for actual history. The Nexus had nothing to do with the failing of people to follow through. It had to do with a better option, sure, but again, everyone wanted stock OEM phones.

It's not rewriting history, I gave you a valid explanation. Making them exclusively available in a small corner of Google's web store in one territory that doesn't typically buy SIM free phones doesn't mean much at all. None of the nerds were going to buy a HTC One for $250 more than a Nexus 5 once it came out just for a metal body and some better speakers either.

???????????????????????

but people pay those prices for them without stock Android

Not so much in the US, the only market Google Experience phones were available in. Samsung sell their new phones in Europe SIM free but in the US you have to get it through a carrier. Apple display US carrier plans prominently in their product reveals which is completely absurd from a European perspective as is carriers making their own phone images and holding back Android updates. In the US the carrier is king and any phone that isn't available on a plan is doomed to obscurity.

Also the Play Edition phones were more expensive than their skinned versions as they came out months later at RRP. We all know that Android phones plummet in value and even for nerds paying $100+ more for the same device with stock Android is too much.

I don't think that stock Android is that much of a selling point because the average person has no idea what Android even is and price conscious nerds are well catered by cheap Nexus devices but the Google Play Edition experiment was always doomed to fail.

Noema

Not to mention people very quickly realized you could just flash the GPE ROMs on the regular (and usually subsidized) versions of the phones.

ito007

I know I personally don't go to stock for the updates. They're great, don't get me wrong, but I just find that the skins needlessly complicate things even more. Trying to teach my aunt how to delete an app on her Galaxy Tab last year was the least intuitive thing I've seen on Android.

In fairness, I don't think that argument applies as much now that the skins are starting to feel more like stock. I've been looking at LG more, for example.

EmiPrime

Not to mention people very quickly realized you could just flash the GPE ROMs on the regular (and usually subsidized) versions of the phones.

That too!

I wonder if anyone actually cares about stock if you dont get timely updates.

I will as long as Android skins keep introducing frame rate issues and pointless and often ugly UI changes to settings and the notification shade.

Sony's New Concept strikes the best balance between stock Android and OEM customisation. Sony just need to build a phone that doesn't overheat and have a glass back that randomly cracks.

HawkeyeIC

I know I personally don't go to stock for the updates. They're great, don't get me wrong, but I just find that the skins needlessly complicate things even more. Trying to teach my aunt how to delete an app on her Galaxy Tab last year was the least intuitive thing I've seen on Android.

In fairness, I don't think that argument applies as much now that the skins are starting to feel more like stock. I've been looking at LG more, for example.

I'm talking more for the monthly security updates more than anything. More and more data is being stored on my phone and if (when?) the next big hack arrives, I want the fix sent to my phone ASAP, not months later like it took for the stagefright fix for my Moto X through Verizon.

Nightbird

Not that I know of. Only think is that that version has only 1GB of RAM (like your's)
If you can stretch your money I'd go for the 16GB/2GB one.

Sadly I can't :(
But that's okay. I've been dealing with 1GB devices for a while, so if that's the only complaint, I know already how I'm gonna deal with that :)

Thanks a lot! ^^

akileese

Took the plunge and ordered an S7 Edge from T-Mobile today. I just read way too many positive impressions and talked to people who told me is was the most impressive phone they've ever used. Based on all that I really figured it was worth the upgrade over my Nexus 6. Had to get it offline since every store in the DFW Metroplex that I called or went to was seemingly out of it. I'm WFH tomorrow though and they give you free next day air so that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom