• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-wood

Speaking of on time updates, my two week old Nexus 6p is still sitting on the Jan security update.

Come of the fuck on Google. I know, I can flash, I can sideload, and I've done those before. I don't feel like doing it right now. No idea why i'm not pulling feb.

Aiii

So not worth it
If you CBA to spend the ten minutes to update it via sideload, it doesn't really matter that you didn't get it in the first place, now does it?

zewone

Speaking of on time updates, my two week old Nexus 6p is still sitting on the Jan security update.

Come of the fuck on Google. I know, I can flash, I can sideload, and I've done those before. I don't feel like doing it right now. No idea why i'm not pulling feb.

I already have March from OTA.

j-wood

If you CBA to spend the ten minutes to update it via sideload, it doesn't really matter that you didn't get it in the first place, now does it?

It does. Because I'd have to start from scratch, setting drivers up on my PC. Turning on dev mode on the phone (which i don't really want the option showing up in settings, and the only way to clear it is a factory reset). So yeah, I don't feel like taking the time to do all that, and I shouldn't have to.

j-wood

Hey, maybe it's just me, but it seems like an odd thing to get upset about.

It's odd to get upset not receiving a bug fixing update?

I mean look, I don't like Apple phones and I won't be moving to them. But you can't deny they do updates way better than whatever Google is attempting to do right now.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yes. I agree.

Now you can continue to get upset about not getting the update due to whatever bug it is that is keeping you from getting it. Or just spend some time to sideload it and resolve your issue.

You could also get in touch with Google and ask for their help in resolving the issue, perhaps they can be of assistance.

Or you can continue to not get the update and rant in an Android thread on the internet.

It's up to you. But only two of those options could potentially resolve your issue. It is what it is.

j-wood

Yes. I agree.

Now you can continue to get upset about not getting the update due to whatever bug it is that is keeping you from getting it. Or just spend some time to sideload it and resolve your issue.

You could also get in touch with Google and ask for their help in resolving the issue, perhaps they can be of assistance.

Or you can continue to not get the update and rant in an Android thread on the internet.

It's up to you. But only two of those options could potentially resolve your issue. It is what it is.

I know man. Is the point of forums threads not to have a discussion? I'm having a discussion that Google should fix their shitty update process.

I know man. Is the point of forums threads not to have a discussion? I'm having a discussion that Google should fix their shitty update process.

I'd have to agree with this. My phone update process stopped at January and sideloading isn't nearly an easy process as made out to be.It took rooting and reflashing my phone to get the latest version of the OS.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Really? That sucks. I'd think you'd get the February update long ago considering it's nearly April. Bad luck. There must be some issue with how your phone is pulling updates.

Samsung is finally rolling out the updated version of their browser for older devices. Much better. The previous version was garbage. The built-in media player is also miles better than before. I won't be using it over Chrome or the caf browser I use (tugapower), but it'll come in handy for certain things.

Mindwipe

That too!

I will as long as Android skins keep introducing frame rate issues and pointless and often ugly UI changes to settings and the notification shade.

Sony's New Concept strikes the best balance between stock Android and OEM customisation. Sony just need to build a phone that doesn't overheat and have a glass back that randomly cracks.

It really doesn't. It certainly looks more stock, but it isn't significantly faster to develop than the official version, because most of the changes are far underneath. This is what people don't get, what takes dev time isn't the OS skins, it's the fact that drivers are integrated into virtually forked Linux kernels powering Android, because the Linux kernel is fundamentally unfriendly to closed binary drivers.

That's because the kernel is developed by open source absolutists who have no interests in changing that, and their answer to everything is "open source the drivers and we'll fix them", irrespective of how plausible distribution of those updates are. And chipset manufacturers really have no interest in playing along with that.

So OEMs fix it by changing significant parts of the Android kernel every time. On a driver level it's a lot of very significant code that breaks easily.

Without fundamentally re-arcitecting the OS this is unfixable. And the business interests are against it. Unless Google abandons the Linux kernel as the basis of Android (or forks it and starts changing the driver model, but they'd lose any upstream changes forever) what is going to change?

Meanwhile, Sony's UI improvements to stock are real. Better battery control, better HID controller profiles for Bluetooth devices, a better shutdown menu and more theme control.

I need some quick help. I need to tell a non technical person thats long distance how to backup and restore her text messages.

She's on vanilla lollipop so no sms backup. What's the easiest app that will automatically use its own servers etc? She needs to perform a factory reset so texts are pretty much the only valuable thing to her that isn't already backed up. No crazy stuff, just simple clicks.

HawkeyeIC

I need some quick help. I need to tell a non technical person thats long distance how to backup and restore her text messages.

She's on vanilla lollipop so no sms backup. What's the easiest app that will automatically use its own servers etc? She needs to perform a factory reset so texts are pretty much the only valuable thing to her that isn't already backed up. No crazy stuff, just simple clicks.

SMS backup and restore?

jwk94

While I'm here, the phone I bought from Swappa for my GF just got it's IMEI number blocked by Tmobile. I'm currently talking to Swappa to return it since the person who sold me was on Jump or something and didn't finish paying the device. Buyer beware.

But, I want to get her a new phone, but I have no clue how to backup her current device. What I want to do is back it up and transfer everything to the new phone, like nothing ever happened. Is this possible without rooting?

Also, thanks to whomever recommended me an Android phone a few weeks back. I'm pretty sure the person I got it for is enjoying it!

zatara

While I'm here, the phone I bought from Swappa for my GF just got it's IMEI number blocked by Tmobile. I'm currently talking to Swappa to return it since the person who sold me was on Jump or something and didn't finish paying the device. Buyer beware.

But, I want to get her a new phone, but I have no clue how to backup her current device. What I want to do is back it up and transfer everything to the new phone, like nothing ever happened. Is this possible without rooting?

Also, thanks to whomever recommended me an Android phone a few weeks back. I'm pretty sure the person I got it for is enjoying it!

dude just file a PayPal claim on that one...I bought a z3 compact that had a busted back and just didba claim and got my money back.

EmiPrime

It really doesn't. It certainly looks more stock, but it isn't significantly faster to develop than the official version, because most of the changes are far underneath. This is what people don't get, what takes dev time isn't the OS skins, it's the fact that drivers are integrated into virtually forked Linux kernels powering Android, because the Linux kernel is fundamentally unfriendly to closed binary drivers.

That's because the kernel is developed by open source absolutists who have no interests in changing that, and their answer to everything is "open source the drivers and we'll fix them", irrespective of how plausible distribution of those updates are. And chipset manufacturers really have no interest in playing along with that.

So OEMs fix it by changing significant parts of the Android kernel every time. On a driver level it's a lot of very significant code that breaks easily.

Without fundamentally re-arcitecting the OS this is unfixable. And the business interests are against it. Unless Google abandons the Linux kernel as the basis of Android (or forks it and starts changing the driver model, but they'd lose any upstream changes forever) what is going to change?

Meanwhile, Sony's UI improvements to stock are real. Better battery control, better HID controller profiles for Bluetooth devices, a better shutdown menu and more theme control.

Okay you seem to know more about the ins and outs than I do!

I agree there is a lot to like about Sony's skin, the UI is very tasteful and Sony phones get great battery life. It could do with less bloatware however. I don't know if the performance issues with the Z5 phones were because of the SD810 overheating and throttling itself or because of the skin.

You are implying incorrectly that somehow Nexus devices are completely open sourced and their drivers aren't binary blobs and they don't also require custom kernels to work. Unless we are pretending that Qualcomm has open source drivers. Which we shouldn't. Because they don't.

Insofar as your post is concerned, Nexus is just another OEM device like Samsung, LG, Moto, or Sony. The only truly stock Android is AOSP and have fun trying to compile that from source with absolutely no closed source code and have it run on anything except the emulator.

Hi!

Since MS discontinued Sunrise Calendar (surprise, surprise), what would be a good alternative for it on Android?
Gimme your suggestions!

Scala

What cheap smartphone should I buy for my son?

- Ulefone Power
- Ulefone Paris
- Xiaomi Redmi 3
- Hwawei P8 Lite

Thanks in advance!

Mindwipe

You are implying incorrectly that somehow Nexus devices are completely open sourced and their drivers aren't binary blobs and they don't also require custom kernels to work. Unless we are pretending that Qualcomm has open source drivers. Which we shouldn't. Because they don't.

I'm not, but Android kernel changes are developed with Nexus hardware in mind, so time that takes is already built into development.

OEMs can't do that because it's not them developing Android.

Changing carriers isn't going to change anything. They're all slow with updates or refuse to put the time into a phone that 'old'.

Its not even just carriers putting the time into old phones. Its also OEMs that cant afford or want to pay for the lab testing that companies like verizon do. Testing that Android phones are "required" to do and pay for yet Apple gets to avoid all of it.

How fucked up is that?

It's crazy. Just one of the very reasons why if I'm sticking with Android, that I won't get any other phone but Google Nexus in general.

Mindwipe

Its not even just carriers putting the time into old phones. Its also OEMs that cant afford or want to pay for the lab testing that companies like verizon do. Testing that Android phones are "required" to do and pay for yet Apple gets to avoid all of it.

How fucked up is that?

Apple are absolutely required to do it (heck, it's a legal requirement in some countries).

That's the entire point of the GM version of the OS on Apple devices, it's the build that's shipped to carriers for testing, and they have failed and been delayed as a result before.

Now, Apple have enough pull to get said testing done much quicker...

Apple are absolutely required to do it (heck, it's a legal requirement in some countries).

That's the entire point of the GM version of the OS on Apple devices, it's the build that's shipped to carriers for testing, and they have failed and been delayed as a result before.

Now, Apple have enough pull to get said testing done much quicker...

Yes they are required to do carrier testing but they do almost all of it themselves unlike Android which is forced to do all the carrier testing in the carrier labs.

The verge even reported that in verizon's testing labs it was completely full of Android phones but had zero iPhones.

Can yoy elaborate that, please?

Both the Ulefones and the Xiaomi are both good brands, but software tends to be a mess with the Ulefones and Xiaomi uses MIUI. Unless you a big battery (Power) or better audio (Vienna) or FHD screen/3G RAM

The Huawei should have more development and more accessories (cases), and I'm guessing you can buy the P8 lite locally instead of buying online.

Overall, if you can live with no development and little acessories, then the Ulefones are nice.

Huawei is just a more established brand.

Edit: Notice you mentioned the Ulefone Paris, but what I said still applies.

JamzyT

Neo Member
Ceu0ui-XEAEpKOn.jpg:large

CeuVZxiXEAAOATl.jpg

Not all phones are created equal. The fastest and smoothest Android. You’ll feel it. #powerof10
https://twitter.com/HTC_IN/status/714829237497102336

akileese

Anyone using S7 Edge w/ google now launcher? I'm having issues dragging widgets to a new page. It's essentially just sitting there and not creating a new one on the right of it.

I know it is super unlikely given HTC's financial state, but I would love if they went the route of Motorola and made the HTC 10 an affordable off-contract ($400 or so) phone. Other than doing something like that I just cannot see what is going to get this phone to sell when it is up against the Galaxy S7.

Cipherr

Google Image search now has two new options I'm seeing when looking up a photo. Save and View saved:

Clicking on View saved shows it to be some new sort of service where you can tag and save images etc for possible future finding or use. Probably linked to the Google account in use at the time:

This new? Or is it old and I'm just now getting the staged rollout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom