• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condom

I know this may sound like heresy but I am really enjoying MIUI, all the little animations just makes the experience very slick and enjoyable.

Very interested to hear your impressions of it. I'm on AT&T so I'll (hopefully) be getting it soon-ish.

Of all the M improvements I think I'll enjoy the granular app permissions and automatic app backup, I just hope AT&T or Samsung don't fuck with those somehow. I'd also hate it if the battery got worse, which seems like kind of a crapshoot when it comes to updates for my phones.

only been a few days now but the battery life has improved noticeably.

My wife is looking to upgrade from her OG Nexus (!) and is mainly looking for a nice camera.

The main reasons she hasn't upgraded before now is that she doesn't want anything bigger. I'm pretty sure she's going to have to go at least a little bigger - but hopefully not too much?

I was looking at Sony's phones, but I'm a bit confused as to what they're doing with their lines.

Any recommendations from GAF?

Noema

My wife is looking to upgrade from her OG Nexus (!) and is mainly looking for a nice camera.

The main reasons she hasn't upgraded before now is that she doesn't want anything bigger. I'm pretty sure she's going to have to go at least a little bigger - but hopefully not too much?

I was looking at Sony's phones, but I'm a bit confused as to what they're doing with their lines.

iPhone SE?

Anyone got a Xiaomi Mi5? I'm really tempted, for £300 delivered it look ridiculous value, although obviously from a Chinese seller I'll probably be up shit creek if anything goes wrong.

Or I may just cheap out and get the Redmi note 3 Pro, especially now there is a global stable miui rom for it.

this.

even a Z5 Compact is HUGE compared to the SE.

and if she wants an actual good camera, it's gonna get even bigger.

except for the SE.

I should've mentioned that she'd like to stay with android (might be a requirement, I know she's got some apps she uses for her business and has some kind of CC reader)... is she just SOL?

What's the smallest android device she can go with and still get a decent-to-good camera?

Oh, and thanks for the replies :)

NeOak

I should've mentioned that she'd like to stay with android (might be a requirement, I know she's got some apps she uses for her business and has some kind of CC reader)... is she just SOL?

What's the smallest android device she can go with and still get a decent-to-good camera?

Oh, and thanks for the replies :)

On Android? None other than the Xperia Z Compact ones.

So yeah, she is SOL. Smallest Android with a good camera is the Z5 Compact as mentioned above.

tzare

this.

even a Z5 Compact is HUGE compared to the SE.

and if she wants an actual good camera, it's gonna get even bigger.

except for the SE.

is it ? the Z5 C is just 3 mm taller and 6mm wider. Considering it has a much bigger screen...... camera is probably better (despite the better sensor on z5) on iphone though.

Anyone got a Xiaomi Mi5? I'm really tempted, for £300 delivered it look ridiculous value, although obviously from a Chinese seller I'll probably be up shit creek if anything goes wrong.

Or I may just cheap out and get the Redmi note 3 Pro, especially now there is a global stable miui rom for it.

i've been tempted to buy a xiaomi device, but lack of Play Store and Spanish language is stopping me.Afaik there are other 'roms' (not sure if official) that include most languages, but don't know were to start and if those roms use all of the phone's features (fingerprint scanner etc...)

tzare

You can install the Google apps package in like 5 minutes with a dedicated app, that's no issue at all.

yes Gapps are easy to install, seen a couple of youtube vids, but not sure about the full rom, since it is only chinese/english. If the phone is nice, and sure some of them a re really great devices, it would be ideal for my mother and wife, but not without spanish language

Get a Nexus 6p and keep it at least 3 feet away from her.

yogloo

I know this may sound like heresy but I am really enjoying MIUI, all the little animations just makes the experience very slick and enjoyable.
MIUI is one of the best manufacturer skin because it's very well thought off and very thorough.
I enjoy it too.

Watevaman

This post will probably be glanced over but I'm gonna be replacing my Lumia Icon soon and want to move back to Android. I've been out of the loop on phones for so long that I need some guidance because now there's these Chinese and Korean phones that I have no clue about. I'm in the US and I'm looking to stick with Verizon and do a payment plan on a phone if I go through them. I'd be willing to outright buy an unlocked phone but if I do that it'll have to be less than $250. For comparisons, I used to have a Droid 4 before the Icon, but I'm going to list the things that I like and don't like about the Icon so maybe I can narrow my search.

+Camera: the Icon's camera is great for me. I like the manual focus adjustment and the clarity. The low light stuff isn't the best but I like the photos it produces.
+Speed: compared to my Droid 4, the Icon is like a lightning bolt. Apps start up fast and perform nicely.
+Home Screen: I didn't think I'd like the live tiles as much as I do. The Droid 4 didn't have anything like this and I still don't think Android does, but I imagine most new phones have more widgets and can handle app notifications better than the 4 did.
+Size: I like the 5" form factor. Much bigger and I think I'd have an issue holding it comfortably and getting it in and out of my pocket.
+Keyboard: I like the default keyboard. It's nice and big and I can easily type on it.

-OS/Accessibility: I was stuck with WP8 for so long and that was terrible. WP8.1 fixed some stuff, but it still isn't as fluid as what I've seen on my friend's Android phones. Too much navigation to get to basic settings and a lot of back and forth to get things set up.
-App selection: this is my main reason I'm going back to Android. I thought I could live with the lack of apps, since I don't use a lot of the popular ones, but I can't. The selection and the lack of support is one point of WP that I don't want anymore.
-Phone call quality and antenna: not sure if I just got a lemon, a result of m dropping my phone, or the network itself, but I drop calls a lot nowadays and the signal is terrible in some spots it should be great or is fine on other Verizon phones.

The only phone I've even looked at is the Galaxy S7 but it seems so divisive between hardcore phone enthusiasts. Some people love it, but others hate the Touchwiz stuff. My cousin has an HTC M8 and I like the front facing speakers but I can't comment on anything else. People like their Nexus phones and Moto G whatever but I'm out of the loop as to what's what with these. If you guys could give me some advice, I'd be grateful. Thanks!

This post will probably be glanced over but I'm gonna be replacing my Lumia Icon soon and want to move back to Android. I've been out of the loop on phones for so long that I need some guidance because now there's these Chinese and Korean phones that I have no clue about. I'm in the US and I'm looking to stick with Verizon and do a payment plan on a phone if I go through them. I'd be willing to outright buy an unlocked phone but if I do that it'll have to be less than $250. For comparisons, I used to have a Droid 4 before the Icon, but I'm going to list the things that I like and don't like about the Icon so maybe I can narrow my search.

+Camera: the Icon's camera is great for me. I like the manual focus adjustment and the clarity. The low light stuff isn't the best but I like the photos it produces.
+Speed: compared to my Droid 4, the Icon is like a lightning bolt. Apps start up fast and perform nicely.
+Home Screen: I didn't think I'd like the live tiles as much as I do. The Droid 4 didn't have anything like this and I still don't think Android does, but I imagine most new phones have more widgets and can handle app notifications better than the 4 did.
+Size: I like the 5" form factor. Much bigger and I think I'd have an issue holding it comfortably and getting it in and out of my pocket.
+Keyboard: I like the default keyboard. It's nice and big and I can easily type on it.

-OS/Accessibility: I was stuck with WP8 for so long and that was terrible. WP8.1 fixed some stuff, but it still isn't as fluid as what I've seen on my friend's Android phones. Too much navigation to get to basic settings and a lot of back and forth to get things set up.
-App selection: this is my main reason I'm going back to Android. I thought I could live with the lack of apps, since I don't use a lot of the popular ones, but I can't. The selection and the lack of support is one point of WP that I don't want anymore.
-Phone call quality and antenna: not sure if I just got a lemon, a result of m dropping my phone, or the network itself, but I drop calls a lot nowadays and the signal is terrible in some spots it should be great or is fine on other Verizon phones.

The only phone I've even looked at is the Galaxy S7 but it seems so divisive between hardcore phone enthusiasts. Some people love it, but others hate the Touchwiz stuff. My cousin has an HTC M8 and I like the front facing speakers but I can't comment on anything else. People like their Nexus phones and Moto G whatever but I'm out of the loop as to what's what with these. If you guys could give me some advice, I'd be grateful. Thanks!

get the Edge.

zewone

May I ask why I should go for the Edge vs the standard S7? Isn't it just a bigger screen and battery? Are there any functional differences besides size?

Besides the bigger screen and battery, you get some edge functions which aren't essential. Mostly quick launching apps by swiping from the edge.

If you're not interested in the aesthetics of the phone then get whatever phone fits your screen size needs.

May I ask why I should go for the Edge vs the standard S7? Isn't it just a bigger screen and battery? Are there any functional differences besides size?

there are functional differences that don't really matter too much, but the bigger screen and battery and the it-just-looks-better factor are all pluses.

kami_sama

Oneplus just released the beta for OOS 3.0, at last.
There's some bugs, but it is almost in a complete state.
Will wait for my phone to charge a bit and I'll flash it.

I just got a Blu Life One X last night and am having trouble figuring out the music app when using the cover. When the cover is closed the phone seems to only be able to control its own app, not Google play music or Pocket Casts or anything like that. Is that right, or am I missing something?

I can't find this answer through google...

NeOak

I just got a Blu Life One X last night and am having trouble figuring out the music app when using the cover. When the cover is closed the phone seems to only be able to control its own app, not Google play music or Pocket Casts or anything like that. Is that right, or am I missing something?

I think the Priv was like that too using the cover.

Chorazin

It probably only controls it's own app.

Talon

I use a chrome extension that replace "cheap android phone" with "Pontiac," and the sentence still works 90% of the time.

kami_sama

Yeah!
0B6dT1G.png
The fingerprint scanner is extremely snappy. A lot better than on Lollipop.

kami_sama

Sweet. I was waiting for this for so long that I ended up buying a 6P, but glad it's finally out.

Great phone.

the problem is that I didn't have ~600€ lying around lol

And more welcome changes:
The not disturb/silence settings can be changed, and the volume pane can be expanded to change all volume types.
And it's performs better, although it might be because I just flashed lol

akileese

there are functional differences that don't really matter too much, but the bigger screen and battery and the it-just-looks-better factor are all pluses.

I got it for the larger size and bigger battery. I got tired of the size of the N6 and wanted something a little bit smaller, but not too small like the S7. The edge fit that perfectly. I don't even use the edge functionality right now but after almost 24 hours with it, I couldn't be happier.

jokkir

Okay, so, should I get the Moto X Play or wait for a new Nexus (or wait for another sale for the 5X).

I want that battery life on the Play but that no gyro is :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Okay, so, should I get the Moto X Play or wait for a new Nexus (or wait for another sale for the 5X).

I want that battery life on the Play but that no gyro is :(
5X or wait another seven months.

I really hope Google will go back to microSD card slots this year. I know it'll never happen, but I can dream. Just bought a 64GB card, which I badly needed, and would love to use it on a Nexus (or Pixel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom