• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murkas

Thinking of replacing my HTC One M7 (which replaced my Galaxy S2) and was wondering what the better options are. I was looking at the Xperia but heard it's too fragile.

I've also realised I only use my phone for snapchat, maps, and messaging so maybe I probably shouldn't really spend as much as I did on my last 2 phones, but hey I don't mind if need be. But I'm really after nice screen, nice camera, roughly the same size, decent battery life (lol). So what would my options be? And I really hope this question doesn't start a mini phone war lasting a page :(

And if it helps, I probably won't buy a new one for another month or so, so if I should wait for a new phone I wouldn't mind.

Jigolo

Thinking of replacing my HTC One M7 (which replaced my Galaxy S2) and was wondering what the better options are. I was looking at the Xperia but heard it's too fragile.

I've also realised I only use my phone for snapchat, maps, and messaging so maybe I probably shouldn't really spend as much as I did on my last 2 phones, but hey I don't mind if need be. But I'm really after nice screen, nice camera, roughly the same size, decent battery life (lol). So what would my options be? And I really hope this question doesn't start a mini phone war lasting a page :(

And if it helps, I probably won't buy a new one for another month or so, so if I should wait for a new phone I wouldn't mind.
Nexus 5X

VoxPop

Your best bet is getting a refurbished iPhone 6 or Note 4/5 (if you dont mind the size) or yeah a Z3C/Z5C if you can find one where you live.

You won't find a nice screen, camera and battery life on a Nexus device. Moto might also be a good option.

nexusssssssss

MarkusRJR

So, since the $200-300 market for smartwatches is slim pickings in Canada, thought I'd ask: Pebble Time or 1st gen Moto 360?

Google services make me want the 360 but the cracking backs and bad battery life make me a bit worried.

Hasney

So, since the $200-300 market for smartwatches is slim pickings in Canada, thought I'd ask: Pebble Time or 1st gen Moto 360?

Google services make me want the 360 but the cracking backs and bad battery life make me a bit worried.

As ugly as I find the moto 360's flat tyre, the cracked backs are only from people who change the band from what I hear.

Found this a great review of the Pebble Time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABSOPyvfbc

MarkusRJR

Never buy first gen anything.
I would get the 2nd gen Moto 360 but it costs literally twice as much as the 1st gen ($200 vs $380/430). Way too expensive in Canada.

As ugly as I find the moto 360's flat tyre, the cracked backs are only from people who change the band from what I hear.

Found this a great review of the Pebble Time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABSOPyvfbc
Hmm... Moro 360 seems like the better but the Pebble Time also looks nice. Does anyone know if the Pebble Time would let me control my Google Play Music or just local music?

AW is garbage. Pebble is meh but I like their intuitiveness. Very archaic in their architecture.

DagsJT

I would get the 2nd gen Moto 360 but it costs literally twice as much as the 1st gen ($200 vs $380/430). Way too expensive in Canada.

Hmm... Moro 360 seems like the better but the Pebble Time also looks nice. Does anyone know if the Pebble Time would let me control my Google Play Music or just local music?

I bought a Pebble Steel this week and bought the Music Boss app. It controls Google Music just fine and skipping tracks using the watch is great when driving.

Hasney

I'd wait on it. None of the AW watches have held their value for long, so you should be able to see deals by black Friday/next year.

I didn't mention it but I got to try a Moto X Style (In canada!!!.....because a moto rep had it lol) and a moto x play and they're kind of disappointing performance wise :|

Maybe they were unlucky units but something seemed off. Maybe moto did something to the optimization. It's really hard to tell. X play seems like it has beast battery life though. And I don't thik it's the S615 that's the problem. Not sure what it is though. It's also too big. But we knew that. Style is huge.

I didn't mention it but I got to try a Moto X Style (In canada!!!.....because a moto rep had it lol) and a moto x play and they're kind of disappointing performance wise :|

Maybe they were unlucky units but something seemed off. Maybe moto did something to the optimization. It's really hard to tell. X play seems like it has beast battery life though. And I don't thik it's the S615 that's the problem. Not sure what it is though. It's also too big. But we knew that. Style is huge.
Probably the screen on the Style. I don't know why they went away from an Amoled screen.

Reckoner

I bought a Pebble Steel and I regret profusely. I only use it as a watch and I could totally get a more fashionably thing at the same price. Fortunately I got mine for 100 euros, but it's a complete ste(e)al at 200. The Pebble Time should give you some useful features, but it's still kind of meh. Don't believe the hype.

Honestly, I wouldn't get a smartwatch right now. Wait another year. Even the Apple Watch I don't feel is at the point of considering, but it's getting there.

ajpw

i got the moto x play and damn its the biggest disappointment. sure the battery is great but the phone is the laggiest piece of shit. also the camera is only good in perfect lighting conditions, looks terrible all other times. gonna return it and get the 5x

save me google

tzare

Yes, sd615 IS the problem. Moto made it even worse by using a 1080p display vs usual 720p on 615 devices.

Yes, sd615 IS the problem. Moto made it even worse by using a 1080p display vs usual 720p on 615 devices.
yeah maybe, I forgot that the other 615 device I tried was a 720p device.

Could have benefitted a lot more with the 620 but I guess it wasn't ready in time for moto.

To be clear though, I also had performance issues with the Style not just the play. But it could have just been a bad device but it was sometimes noticable.

Furyous

I don't even understand why people are talking about the iPhone so much. This doesn't even feel like an Android OT.

The Z5 isn't out for damn near a month. I'm torn between the Z5 and the Z5CP. I'll wait for the iphone 7 on the iOS side because fuck paying $900+ for a 750p screen. My eyes have become accustomed to 1080p and above. Looking at these pixels on my iphone 5 gives me a headache so it's time to move up in display quality.

Hopefully Sony's skin is as light as it appears on screen. They need to app shortcuts to the fingerprint sensor function. WE NEED MORE Z5 HYPE.

Hasney

The Z5 isn't out for damn near a month. I'm torn between the Z5 and the Z5CP. I'll wait for the iphone 7 on the iOS side because fuck paying $900+ for a 750p screen. My eyes have become accustomed to 1080p and above. Looking at these pixels on my iphone 5 gives me a headache so it's time to move up in display quality.

Hopefully Sony's skin is as light as it appears on screen. They need to app shortcuts to the fingerprint sensor function. WE NEED MORE Z5 HYPE.

You're not going to get hype for a device that may not appear in the country most of the thread are in.

Reckoner

Are you from Japan?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Taylor Swift is to boyfriends as you are to phones.

daoster

If Nexus 5x sucks, then I'm definitely gonna go the Z5 route... However, just realized that being a T-Mobile customer, if I buy a random phone, isn't LTE Band 12 blocked???

Furyous

So you want a phone that for all intents and purposes, you can probably only get 3G with?

It's fine as long as it works with an MVNO. I have yet to use LTE anyways so I don't know what I'm missing until I know what I'm missing.

We need to hype more phones anyway. This is the Android thread and this thread surpisingly lacks stunting outside of the dude that buys every Android phone and the guy that made it rain iphones.

My next Android device, Z5 knock on wood, needs that iphone 5 longevity. My i5 holds strong to this very day without a hickup so I expect an Android flagship with double in some cases triple the specs to last just as long.

It's fine as long as it works with an MVNO. I have yet to use LTE anyways so I don't know what I'm missing until I know what I'm missing.

We need to hype more phones anyway. This is the Android thread and this thread surpisingly lacks stunting outside of the dude that buys every Android phone and the guy that made it rain iphones.

My next Android device, Z5 knock on wood, needs that iphone 5 longevity. My i5 holds strong to this very day without a hickup so I expect an Android flagship with double in some cases triple the specs to last just as long.

You've never used LTE? Da fuck? Where do you live?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
We should ban people that don't buy at least one device a year, frankly. The One Plus thread is thataway for those people.

hitgirl

Bought a Moto X Pure, was $377 with my discount, will probably use until Nexus 5-2 start shipping and stuff is set in stone.

Jzero

Should you remove any phone skins before sending it back for RMA? Mine is made of wood but i don't know if Google will care much.

Jigolo

Wouldn't it be better to ban those people who buy multiple devices a year just to bitch about them constantly and tell us how shit that device is? I think weedin out the stupid is the better option. It's too bad we can't save them the thousands of dollars they spend on these things.
jawalrus.png

Meanwhile I'll stick to my Nexus 5 till next year. 2 years without spending a dime on a phone feels good

EmiPrime

Doubt they can afford it.

They can't even afford a functioning website right now. :s

Wouldn't it be better to ban those people who buy multiple devices a year just to bitch about them constantly and tell us how shit that device is? I think weedin out the stupid is the better option. It's too bad we can't save them the thousands of dollars they spend on these things.
jawalrus.png

Meanwhile I'll stick to my Nexus 5 till next year. 2 years without spending a dime on a phone feels good

You tell them!

Still happy with my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7.

Furyous

jawalrus.png

Don't it? I've missed out on GPE variants, the S6, G4, OPO, OP2 knock on wood, HTC M7, M8, M9, Xperia 1 through 4, and everything else. I love trying out a new device for a month and finding all the ways it sucks then returning it because the feels aren't the same. If the LG G3 was the same size as the G2 in a GPE variant with the same specs I'd champion it as the GOAT in this very post. But, but, but, that's not the case so oh well.

So let's talk about these mid range phones and how you can get a one-two year old flagship for the same price with better performance. I bought an idol 3 and while I like it, I should've have just footed the extra money and got an old note or g3.

jawalrus.png

Yeah, fuck those rich people and their money.

-_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom