• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I actively hate my Samsung Galaxy s6 edge. It's a phone, I know, but I hate it. I've missed important calls, appointments, and even my morning alarm because of it. Using it every day makes new angry. I bought this phone outright, gold, 64gb, I expected to use it for a year.

Just today, I set up a customer service call with Microsoft, and while I waited for the call, decided to fire up my camera and take a picture of a code that I would be sure to need for the call. I double tap the home screen and get nothing but stuttering jank. I swipe up and the phone is trying to figure out what to do. Nothing happens. Then I hear the ringtone go off, customer service is calling. The viewfinder comes up on my phone, but it's too late for that, I just want to answer the call. Can't do it, the phone app never comes up, just the ringtone sounds. I start to panic, hit the home button, the power button, nothing. I miss the call. These kinds of things happen to me every day. I want to smash this phone against the wall. So I'm going to sell it, of course I'm going to sell it. But what do I get? I want a great camera, and this phone has a great camera.

Did I read correctly above that the moto pure has lag? What should I get?

I actively hate my Samsung Galaxy s6 edge. It's a phone, I know, but I hate it. I've missed important calls, appointments, and even my morning alarm because of it. Using it every day makes new angry. I bought this phone outright, gold, 64gb, I expected to use it for a year.

Just today, I set up a customer service call with Microsoft, and while I waited for the call, decided to fire up my camera and take a picture of a code that I would be sure to need for the call. I double tap the home screen and get nothing but stuttering jank. I swipe up and the phone is trying to figure out what to do. Nothing happens. Then I hear the ringtone go off, customer service is calling. The viewfinder comes up on my phone, but it's too late for that, I just want to answer the call. Can't do it, the phone app never comes up, just the ringtone sounds. I start to panic, hit the home button, the power button, nothing. I miss the call. These kinds of things happen to me every day. I want to smash this phone against the wall. So I'm going to sell it, of course I'm going to sell it. But what do I get? I want a great camera, and this phone has a great camera.

Sounds like a bad unit. I've had 0 issues with my S6 outside of the obviously not good battery life. Never get missed calls or any notifications. Not sure why you're not trying to get a replacement. It's your own fault for ignoring this obviously big issue.

sounds defective.

thuway

If only Motorola decided to make a for real sequel to the Nexus 6 with a new Samsung OLED panel :v, finger print scanner, and a battery to justify it's size. Damnit.

I've uhm never had any issues with answering a call in the 3 short weeks I've had my Note 4. Even playing a game that is taxing enough to make my phone heat up like the sun, the little incoming call popup appears right over it and tapping the green icon pauses the game and answers the phone.

I've never had problems with the alarm either.

If I were you I would Factory Reset the thing and if that doesn't help I would exchange it for another one.

Just dropping in to say I already returned my Moto X Pure after 2 days. Horrible phone. Gets extremely hot, bad performance, and a battery that lasted me barely 5 hours at work. Maybe I got a bad unit, but it seems others are reporting the same issues.

thuway

Just dropping in to say I already returned my Moto X Pure after 2 days. Horrible phone. Gets extremely hot, bad performance, and a battery that lasted me barely 5 hours at work. Maybe I got a bad unit, but it seems others are reporting the same issues.
Motorola is overrated and under delivers.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Unbelievable. I don't even know what to do. Ugh. IPhone?

Unbelievable. I don't even know what to do. Ugh. IPhone?

Seems like Iphone, Note 5, or OP2 are the best ways to go this year. Of course the last is if you don't care about NFC and want a good(could become great with software updates or custom roms) mid tier phone. I'm thinking of going the iPhone route this year too. T-Mobile giving them out cheaper helps. I can get a 64gb space grey 6s+ for like $680 over 18 months.

giga

Seems like Iphone, Note 5, or OP2 are the best ways to go this year. Of course the last is if you can't even make the 15% tax bracket. I want to avoid that stigma. I'm thinking of going the iPhone route this year too. T-Mobile giving them out cheaper helps. I can get a 64gb space grey 6s+ for like $680 over 18 months.
You know what to do.

Might pick up a Note 5 sometime next month. After seeing the fail of both Nexuses (Nexi?).

If you don't need expandable storage, I can't think of a device that kills it in every area like the Note 5. Exynos 7420, great battery life, 1440p Super AMOLED, best camera available period, the phone kills every device in sight. Well the iP6S+ might be a real competitor. There's nothing in the Android world which can touch the Note 5.

I went with last year's Note because I can't give up my microSD but there's no doubt that if I didn't need that I would gotten the Note 5 instead of the 4.

If you don't need expandable storage, I can't think of a device that kills it in every area like the Note 5. Exynos 7420, great battery life, 1440p Super AMOLED, best camera available period, the phone kills every device in sight. Well the iP6S+ might be a real competitor. There's nothing in the Android world which can touch the Note 5.

I went with last year's Note because I can't give up my microSD but there's no doubt that if I didn't need that I would gotten the Note 5 instead of the 4.

Yea don't need the SD. 64GB is enough for me. My S6 has still 15GB left with all the stuff I put in it. I doubt I'd need more anytime soon.

So I have a Nexus 5, and I'm looking to sell it, but the screen is cracked and I'm not wanting to sell it in that condition. I was wondering if there may be certain places I could go to replace it for cheap, or if the cheapest way would be to just buy a kit and do it myself?

linkboy

Moto X Pure or Nexus 6.

Still can't make up my damn mind.

Leaning towards the Moto X, but the lack of any decent case options is a huge turn off.

The nexus 6 has a lot more cases, but the lack of a micro SD slot is a huge downgrade.

$399 for a 64GB nexus 6 or $449 for a 32GB moto x.

Decisions, decisions.

Moto X Pure or Nexus 6.

Leaning towards the Moto X, but the lack of any decent case options is a huge turn off.

The nexus 6 has a lot more cases, but the lack of a micro SD slot is a huge downgrade.

Decisions, decisions.

From what I've noticed, the N6 is probably the better bet.

hitgirl

Moto X Pure or Nexus 6.

Decisions, decisions.

I had the Nexus 6 for one night last week and returned it. It's big and heavy. I feel like the Moto X Pure is a bit slimmer and lighter, so got one coming in the mail.

Nexus 6 has everything I'd really want in a phone but just too damn big.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Moto X Pure or Nexus 6.

Decisions, decisions.
How is this a hard decision? The better phone is cheaper and has better on board storage. Need more than 64? Then why are you considering it?

linkboy

How is this a hard decision? The better phone is cheaper and has better on board storage. Need more than 64? Then why are you considering it?

I'm in Korea and the Moto X has better lte support here over the nexus. I use Sk telecom and it use bands 1,3 and 5 (which the Moto X supports), where the nexus doesn't (unless I go with the International model), but then I won't get lte support in the states when I go back.

Storage isn't really an issue as I can live with 64GB.

I really like both phones, I just don't want to go with the nexus and end up kicking myself for not getting the Moto X (and vice versa). They both have advantages and disadvantages over each other.

I'm in Korea and the Moto X has better lte support here over the nexus. I use Sk telecom and it use bands 1,3 and 5 (which the Moto X supports), where the nexus doesn't (unless I go with the International model), but then I won't get lte support in the states when I go back.

I really like both phones, I just don't want to go with the nexus and end up kicking myself for not getting the Moto X (and vice versa). They both have advantages and disadvantages over each other.

Wait, what? You're in Korea and you don't own a Samsung device with LTE Advanced?

379ch.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

There's enough phone coverage in Korea to live with just a few LTE bands.

linkboy

There's enough phone coverage in Korea to live with just a few LTE bands.

The US nexus 6 supports 3 and 5, but not 1. Not sure how much of an impact that will cause. There's a hack on xda to enable it, but I'm not sure if I want to try that.

I'm only here till December.

Basically, what I'm trying to figure out is which phone is better. Specs, battery life, etc.

I've had a Nexus 5 for over a year now, but my current phone is the international model, which gets no lte support in the states.

Bboy AJ

The US nexus 6 supports 3 and 5, but not 1. Not sure how much of an impact that will cause. There's a hack on xda to enable it, but I'm not sure if I want to try that.

I'm only here till December.

Basically, what I'm trying to figure out is which phone is better. Specs, battery life, etc.

I've had a Nexus 5 for over a year now, but my current phone is the international model, which gets no lte support in the states.
What's the rush for the new phone now, then?

But the screen is curved tho

linkboy

What's the rush for the new phone now, then?

I want a phone with a bigger screen. I also want to sell my nexus 5 before I leave Korea since it really does me no good stateside without any lte support.

I also need a phone with more battery life, I can barely use my nexus 5 due to battery being so bad.

What are my options if I want to import an Xperia Z5 to the US? I've never imported anything before and I'm wondering what kind of additional mark-up, wait time etc. I'm supposed to expect. Any region locking of any kind (I can't imagine there should be one but just making sure)?

So did that rumor about the Huawei Nexus 6 being delay pan out to be true? Can't help but notice how little we've heard or seen about it in comparison to the Nexus 5X.

Bboy AJ

So did that rumor about the Huawei Nexus 6 being delay pan out to be true? Can't help but notice how little we've heard or seen about it in comparison to the Nexus 5X.
It's pretty interesting how we know so little about it, especially considering it was first to leak. Maybe it's a much, much better phone than the 5 but they need to give the 5 some time to shine.

Hasney

I think it's more because so few people care. Nexus 5 has the hype because those users need an upgrade. Nexus 6 users would be getting a spec side grade with a fingerprint scanner and smaller screen. I don't know why anyone wouldn't just save money and get the current Nexus 6.

linkboy

I think it's more because so few people care. Nexus 5 has the hype because those users need an upgrade. Nexus 6 users would be getting a spec side grade with a fingerprint scanner and smaller screen. I don't know why anyone wouldn't just save money and get the current Nexus 6.

Exactly. I'm looking to condense two devices into one (just sold my nexus 7 yesterday) which is why I'm looking at the nexus 6 or the Moto X.

The Huwai nexus just doesn't interest me.

NotBacon

Where? I just googled 'Moto X Pure review', opened about a dozen reviews (from not-shit websites) in new tabs, skimmed through them all, and couldn't find anyone echoing your sentiments.

Jzero

Where? I just googled 'Moto X Pure review', opened about a dozen reviews (from not-shit websites) in new tabs, skimmed through them all, and couldn't find anyone echoing your sentiments.

Reviews != actual problems that consumers will see.

My Nexus 6 speakers were fucked up and many users had the same problem yet no review units had the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom