• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
indeed.

the proper solution is to just buy a mint Nexus One on ebay.

The proper solution is to suggest a slightly larger device. An ecosystem switch is incredibly inconvenient and can be costly. A slightly larger phone is nothing in comparison and we all know people are typically happier after getting a larger device even when they didn't want it.

I've got a LG G3 and I recently got my mom a Moto G(3rd gen) and it's stock Marshmallow(I'm on Lollipop) was definitely way snappier.

I've never done it before but would installing stock Android on my LG G3 increase performance in any way? I kind of want to do it regardless because I prefer stock Android's aesthetic more. What's the best tutorial to do this?

Noema

I've got a LG G3 and I recently got my mom a Moto G(3rd gen) and it's stock Marshmallow(I'm on Lollipop) was definitely way snappier.

I've never done it before but would installing stock Android on my LG G3 increase performance in any way? I kind of want to do it regardless because I prefer stock Android's aesthetic more. What's the best tutorial to do this?

Your best bet is to use something like Cyanogenmod.

Here's a guide for the LG G3

jvm

Gamasutra.
Got my Nexus 6p. My old Moto X included my work Exchange calendar on the built in Google calendar, but that's not happening on the new phone. Was that some Motorola feature?

Also, my old phone was trained to respond to something other than "OK Google". Was that another Motorola feature? Voice search seems to really want me to use the standard "OK Google".

Oh yeah, I'm on a Note 2 with really terrible performance and terrible signal the majority of the time. I have no signal at home and low signal 70% of the time which is why I want to switch lol :(

Hopefully there's another 5X sale soon. I might get the Play to test it a bit

If you are in the US there is still a sale with Fi sign up.

Dicer

Banned

Just hit up xda for your device/carrier, The LG G3 runs marshmallow swimmingly...

Make sure you flash the proper image for your carrier, that's all.

Bought new test devices at work and boy is the Samsung Tab S2 just an iPad Air 2.

Super snappy tho. Not worth $500 but I think the strategy of throwing more Ram at touchwhiz is finally reaching the tipping point.

jiggle

Is the LG G3 still worth getting?
It doesn't seem like that big of an upgrade from my current N5
But I just can't get past the negatives I have for G4 and 5

I have G3. It is perfectly fine for me. I do not know what you have against G4 or 5 but they are better obviously from G3.

I got Marshmallow update as well from provider yesterday. All the major phone from 2 years are completely fine for casual use.

If you start messing with phone .I.E installing roms and stuff then you are going to mess the original settings and phone. Just use it as intended and all those phones work very fine for casual use.

I have a Lumia 950 and once I am able to, I'm going to switch over to an Android phone.

I'm still deciding between Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, or Samsung Galaxy S7.

I would for sure get the Nexus 6P, I just dislike how big the device is. The 5X is the perfect size for me, though I dislike the smaller battery size for it.
And the Samsung Galaxy S7 looks great to me, but I would rather have a stock android phone. I heard the OS for Samsung phones is bloated?

Any suggestions would be helpful. :)

kharma45

Sidegrade. What's wrong with the G4 and G5, or an S7?

The 5X would be an upgrade too, if you don't want to go as big as the 6P.

I have a Lumia 950 and once I am able to, I'm going to switch over to an Android phone.

I would for sure get the Nexus 6P, I just dislike how big the device is. The 5X is the perfect size for me, though I dislike the smaller battery size for it.
And the Samsung Galaxy S7 looks great to me, but I would rather have a stock android phone. I heard the OS for Samsung phones is bloated?

I'd look at the S7, 6P and G5. Probably in that order too.

TouchWiz isn't all that bad. Most of the complaints are hyperbolically overblown. The S7, especially the Edge model, is probably the best phone on sale at present.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
AT&T has made its bloatware even worse on the LG G5

Ce4mvl-VAAEpsSS.jpg

#buyunlockedifpossible

So.. Miitomo.

It's crashing on boot on my Nexus 6. Read elsewhere that it won't work on rooted devices. My phone was rooted at one point, but lost root when I installed the March security update.

Is there something more I need to do to make Miitomo know that I'm not really rooted?

jiggle

I have G3. It is perfectly fine for me. I do not know what you have against G4 or 5 but they are better obviously from G3.

Sidegrade. What's wrong with the G4 and G5, or an S7?

The 5X would be an upgrade too, if you don't want to go as big as the 6P.
e
I'd look at the S7, 6P and G5. Probably in that order too.

I want a 5.5" with replaceable battery
And G4's bootloop problem freaks me out
So that only really leaves G3 if I need to change right now

kharma45

I want a 5.5" with replaceable battery
And G4's bootloop problem freaks me out
So that only really leaves G3 if I need to change right now

That problem is supposedly fixed on the 510 models onwards, which is what I have, and thankfully haven't had any such issue. Battery life for me on MM is a joke though truth be told.

The G5 is only marginally smaller at 5.3", or there's the V10 as well. The G3 I'd not bother with at this stage, sidegrade and a bit long in the tooth.

The battery on the S7 Edge is pretty meaty at 3600mAh for one that's sealed in. The Exynos has been getting great results for longevity.

Wow, I slapped CyanogenMod 12 on my LG G3 and put on Nova Launcher and performance is way better and the audio seems louder? Lol. Much snappier and I much prefer the stick aesthetic.

I don't see myself upgrading anymore lol.

S7 is amazing. It is best out of all the device listed in terms of capability. I do not understand what bloat means. If you do not like any app just hide it in folder. you can use nova to make your phone look the way you like it. Even google launcher. New touchwiz is just fine. Look up all the reviews before making decision however.

Dicer

Banned
So.. Miitomo.

It's crashing on boot on my Nexus 6. Read elsewhere that it won't work on rooted devices. My phone was rooted at one point, but lost root when I installed the March security update.

Is there something more I need to do to make Miitomo know that I'm not really rooted?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/nintendo-miitomo-app-crashes-root-t3338534

fix is there...

Wow, I slapped CyanogenMod 12 on my LG G3 and put on Nova Launcher and performance is way better and the audio seems louder? Lol. Much snappier and I much prefer the stick aesthetic.

I don't see myself upgrading anymore lol.

Why not CM 13?

ryseing

Because of reasons I have a chance for a free upgrade from T-Mobile. My first choice was a new Motorola but they don't carry them. My second thought was to do a S7 Edge+Gear VR but then I remembered how much I hated my S4 and TouchWiz. Has the build and software quality improved over the past few gens? If not, thoughts on LG's latest crop? I'm content to stick with my Moto G if there isn't anything else drastically better out there and have someone else use the upgrade.

On a related side note- the Android tablet market is dire. My 2012 N7 is having battery issues so I'm looking for a new tablet but there are no good ones out there. Incredibly disappointing.

Dicer

Banned
There's an official release? I just grabbed the latest snapshot

Do I have to flash the whole thing(backup,wipe,flash) or is there a simpler way to update CyanogenMod???

If you go up you'll have to backup/wipe/flash the nightlies are out there and work fine, but it's not a "stable" build yet...

Thanks. Can you link to a specific fix? I see a lot of chatter about RootCloak working, but since I'm not rooted I don't know what that accomplish.

I've made a Xposed module (it's also my first module) that should bypass the Miitomo root check, you can download both the source and apk from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d4k9cutvutrum7v/AAD7aG5_x1FufQRdQRaR3kNaa?dl=0 (I'm sorry, but I can't post links here and I cannot make like 10 useful posts)

That won't work for me because since I'm not rooted Xposed modules can't be installed/activated.

It appears there's a number of people with non-rooted devices that are also having issues.

HawkeyeIC

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/03/31/lg-g5-review-a-bit-of-a-mess-frankly/

The G5 feels like a tacit admission from LG that the company simply can't compete directly with Samsung in the realm of design, ruggedness, battery life, camera performance, or even software features right now. I realize this comes across as a brutal assessment, but I don't want to sugarcoat it by pretending the G5's primary competitor doesn't exist. That's not fair to anyone. The LG G5 simply is not as good a phone as the Galaxy S7. There may be niche cases to be made for it, but for the vast majority of consumers, I see absolutely no reason to consider the G5 when it is even remotely close to the S7 in price. Hell, I honestly don't see a reason to get this over the increasingly-affordable Nexus 5X. At least the 5X gets OS updates direct from Google and has an overall better camera, not to mention a much more palatable design. The battery life is probably about the same, too.

I have rarely given a "do not buy" to a modern, high-end smartphone, but the G5 really is trying me here. It starts to push up against the line of "for this amount of money, this is a bad phone." Does the G5 have redeeming qualities? Sure, but you do have to look for them. The wide-angle camera is a novelty no one else can yet claim, and the chin modules, for what they are, are unique. And it's the only modern flagship phone with a removable battery, something that is near and dear to the hearts of many of LG's modern fans.

At the end of the day, the G5 is still just a smartphone, and despite how LG will market it, consumers will still see it for what it is: a phone. In that sense, the G5 is misguided and, in my opinion, a misinterpretation of the future of smartphones. In its attempt to be a Leatherman in a world of simple pocket knives, the G5 just ends up a mediocre phone with a couple of interesting ideas no one else has bothered with for reasons that will probably become evident when the G6 launches without them next year. It's also woefully overpriced in proportion to the experience it provides on its own - I'd barely consider paying $400 for this phone, let alone $600-700. As such, I simply can't recommend the G5. Samsung has opened up an even greater lead over LG (and many of its other rivals) with the S7 and S7 edge in terms of raw smartphone fundamentals, and LG hasn't been able to even maintain the gap. And yes: I am AP's resident Negative Nancy. I get it. But I rarely - note I didn't say never - come out of a review disliking a smartphone on the whole, and this wasn't an easy review to write. I hope LG can "wow" us again with the V series later this year, as the G5 simply doesn't stack up.

daoster

Well, that is super disappointing to hear about the G5. Now to either buy a 6p/5x when it's on sale again, and jump to the next Nexus when it goes live, or just stick it out with my N6 till the new Nexus...but I'm getting mighty sick of my N6.

ANd i'm mighty tempted by the Samsung S7 Edge...but I think I'd rather get the (apparently) better performing International version.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Modularity is just dumb for mobile devices. I don't really care that it can do everything when I have to carry everything. The times where you'd switch modules for the day or evening are rare enough to not care.

reKon

Banned
but it has a removable battery tho so still the best phone, right? (there's people even on this boards who will still argue this)

I had a Galaxy Nexus and never bothered switching for my extra battery because of the phone last me through the day more of the time and it was a inconvenience go into my backpack, turn off the phone, swap out the battery, and put it back in. Portable chargers are 100% better for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom