• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
It would have been awesome if the SD820 was ready in time for the Nexus 6P. My little brother has this phone and it truly is great.

I would actually consider it if google built a one handed mode into stock.

but it has a removable battery tho so still the best phone, right? (there's people even on this boards who will still argue this)

I had a Galaxy Nexus and never bothered switching for my extra battery because of the phone last me through the day more of the time and it was a inconvenience go into my backpack, turn off the phone, swap out the battery, and put it back in. Portable chargers are 100% better for me.

why would you want to remove a battery when there are wireless charger battery packs!?!?!?

It sounds like LG is continuing to have the same problem HTC is likely to face in a few weeks. LG Simply cannot compete with Samsung's phones and so they decided to do something completely different in order to be able to distinguish themselves from their competition. The problem is the LG G5 is a phone built around compromises in order to get the modular design LG wanted to go with. I am not sure how the margins look at the lower price points, but they should consider going the Motorola route and offering their flagship around the $400-$500 range.

I expect HTC is going to have an even worse time when they launch the HTC 10 because no matter how good of a phone it may be they won't be able to compete with Samsung as usual.

I'm not a big fan of AP's reviews but alot of the points made are subjective and whatnot. I mean he poo poos on the camera, but isn't the camera the same sensor as last year? How is that a negative? Unless his point is that it should be changed for some reason. I'm still getting it and I will let everyone know how I feel about it. Also reading the review it's like most of his points are "it's not as good as the GS7 so it's bad". I love the point about if it was $400 he won't buy it even though it's running specs are that on par or better than the GS7. Can't take the review seriously when objectivity is thrown out the window.

Really not losing anything when I trade in my Note 5 on JOD.

PS: 90% of his review is on a pre-production unit.

Toki767

Apparently native Windows 10 support for Android notifications are coming.

Guess it's their answer to continuum or whatever it's called for iOS and OS X.

Blackhead

Redarse

continuum still doesn't sync notifications between iOS and OS X though. Android+Pushbullet is actually better for notifications with OSX than iOS+Continuum.

That feeling when you almost brick your phone
whew.png

Noema

I've been telling my friend that he should flash Cyanogenmod on his G3 yet he refuses. It runs like absolute crap on 5.0. It's shocking to see how bad it performs, and how bad battery life is on that phone.

Massa

I've been telling my friend that he should flash Cyanogenmod on his G3 yet he refuses. It runs like absolute crap on 5.0. It's shocking to see how bad it performs, and how bad battery life is on that phone.

Yep. My G2 on CM13 is leaps and bounds faster than my gf's stock G3.

Dicer

Banned

Hell CM13 makes my Nexus 7 2012 usable again, and my Samsung Tab 3 like a brand new device...

MM is the reward for the punishment that was Lollipop, lol

longdi

Banned
I have a spare G2 on 5.0. Sometimes it will drain battery and get hot from unknown causes. I put Google launcher on it and has some stutters.

Is CM such a magic bullet that it will help my old G2?

clav

CM13 is awesome on a Galaxy S3.

Flash every month for the AOSP security update.

#buyunlockedifpossible

That's impossible these days.

Your choices are limited to Motorola X Pure, Nexus phones, and international phones.

Somehow USA allows carriers to sell different versions with LTE bands gimped.

reKon

Banned
I have a spare G2 on 5.0. Sometimes it will drain battery and get hot from unknown causes. I put Google launcher on it and has some stutters.

Is CM such a magic bullet that it will help my old G2?

why not? I like putting stuff on old shit and making it more useful. I think I was able to run Kit Kat on an old Droid Incredible using a CM port.

Hey, so is there a recommended Twitter app? I'm having trouble with the official one in trying to get it to notify me on mentions. It only bothers telling me about liked tweets and direct messages.

I suppose while I'm on the app subject, any recommenced podcast apps that isn't doggcatcher? I've used that one for a good while now, looking to try anything new just for the sake of it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hey, so is there a recommended Twitter app? I'm having trouble with the official one in trying to get it to notify me on mentions. It only bothers telling me about liked tweets and direct messages.

I suppose while I'm on the app subject, any recommenced podcast apps that isn't doggcatcher? I've used that one for a good while now, looking to try anything new just for the sake of it.
Fenix. Pocketcasts.

longdi

Banned
Sucks that LG lost the plot. Was waiting for reviews and now I guess I have to get the S7 Edge. Oh well.

S7 edge is a beast.

Even the fearful touchwiz works great as long as you replace the default ugly theme with a free material theme from Samsung store.

And that's coming from a former Sony xperia fanboi, who prefers simplicity in utility.

clav

Maybe I'll look into buying a used Galaxy S5.

Otherwise, I'll probably buy a Nexus 5X.

Locked bootloaders. Full-body glass. Batteries buried behind layers of screws + adhesives. I don't like these anti-consumer moves.

I don't know if I'm in a minority here but I'm not really bothered about removable batteries. I haven't had a phone with one in like five years.

Can't go wrong with Pocketcasts or Podcast Addict.

Admodieus

It's closer to their answer against iMessage. But what I don't get is why doesn't Microsoft just build a SMS app? People begrudgingly use Messenger now after Hangouts turned out to be a poor SMS client. A Microsoft app for SMS could sync notifications and allow sending of messages from Windows 10.

longdi

Banned
There is lots of emphasis on SOT as a benchmark for battery life, but my chrome uses 50% more battery than the screen of my s7 edge

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, they'll get what they deserve. Poor sales. Remember how everyone was so hyped for them when the G2 came out? I knew it was over for them when they released the G3 that was literally worse than its predecessor.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's closer to their answer against iMessage. But what I don't get is why doesn't Microsoft just build a SMS app? People begrudgingly use Messenger now after Hangouts turned out to be a poor SMS client. A Microsoft app for SMS could sync notifications and allow sending of messages from Windows 10.

Their answer to iMessage is Skype

Admodieus

Which should've been implemented like iMessage years ago, yet they still haven't managed that. In W10M you have to manually swap between the two.

Skype has even less traction among my friends than Hangouts. Nobody uses Skype anymore.

It boggles my mind that neither Google or Microsoft have matched iMessage yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom