• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, so is there a recommended Twitter app? I'm having trouble with the official one in trying to get it to notify me on mentions. It only bothers telling me about liked tweets and direct messages.

I suppose while I'm on the app subject, any recommenced podcast apps that isn't doggcatcher? I've used that one for a good while now, looking to try anything new just for the sake of it.

Twitter: Fenix

Podcasts: Pocket Casts

akileese

Sucks that LG lost the plot. Was waiting for reviews and now I guess I have to get the S7 Edge. Oh well.

I use an S7 Edge with Google Now Launcher and I got good lock off galaxy apps. It gives it much more of an AOSP look and feel. I have no complaints. I've been using it since Tuesday and I think the screen and camera are amazing. Battery life is really good and I play a lot of games on my phone. VR battery life is solid as well.

Well, they'll get what they deserve. Poor sales. Remember how everyone was so hyped for them when the G2 came out? I knew it was over for them when they released the G3 that was literally worse than its predecessor.

I'm surprised anyone even gets hyped for LG phones. Their UI is the worst of the major manufacturers and their phone designs are hideous.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'm surprised anyone even gets hyped for LG phones. Their UI is the worst of the major manufacturers and their phone designs are hideous.

Still rocking a G2 and was hoping the G5 is on the same level of epicness. But it seems they took a lot of shortcuts. Light bleed and imperfect finish is a dealbreaker to me, so now I am on the fence about upgrading.

And whoever said CM13 flies above, it really does.

snacknuts

we all knew her

I got a G2 shortly after launch and it was a fantastic device. I had very high hopes for the G3, but it disappointed. Then I had slightly-lower-but-still-high hopes for the G4 and was still disappointed. I was still very interested in the G5, but... at this point I think I can safely write the line off.

kharma45

"Update: An LG spokesman has pointed Android Authority in the direction of this passage in the LG G5 press release: “the insulative antenna is invisibly integrated into the body without disrupting the seamless look of the metal uni-body.” We’re awaiting further clarification, but it does sound as though the section revealed in the video might just be a small plastic antenna section while the rest of the G5 body is indeed metal (other scratch marks in the video do seem to show a metal chassis underneath the paint). We’ll bring you further details as they arise."

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g5-made-of-plastic-not-metal-683460/

clav

Don't need a source to describe it. Just look at the video.

Doesn't seem too much different from the Nexus 6P, so I don't know why you people are debbie downing about.

There should be more anger regarding locked bootloaders. With Android never receiving a timeline on getting updates you guys should be concerned if you buy non-Nexus phones. At least the Motorola X Pure allows people to unlock by voiding warranty. After one year, why does that matter?

j-wood

Got tired of waiting, sideloaded the latest march update on the 6p. Was stuck on Jan (got the phone almost 3 weeks ago). Figured out a way to do with without having to enable developer tools and USB debugging, which was nice.

zewone

Doesn't seem too much different from the Nexus 6P, so I don't know why you people are debbie downing about.

There should be more anger regarding locked bootloaders. With Android never receiving a timeline on getting updates you guys should be concerned if you buy non-Nexus phones. At least the Motorola X Pure allows people to unlock by voiding warranty. After one year, why does that matter?

The 6P is plastic too?

clav

Didn't everyone feel this phone at MWC? What did the tech blogs say?

If those bloggers said it was metal, then blame them. They have responsibility, too.

What's with the sudden outrage? Another one of those tricks that people do to get the blood going since sitting at the computer slows down blood pressure and trigger conversation engagement?

Skype has even less traction among my friends than Hangouts. Nobody uses Skype anymore.

It boggles my mind that neither Google or Microsoft have matched iMessage yet.

the last thing we need is MORE COMPANIES interfering with the transmission of SMS/MMS

if Apple still can't fix iMessage, how well do you think Google would do?

ok, MS could probably ace it...

CronoShot

AT&T has made its bloatware even worse on the LG G5

Ce4mvl-VAAEpsSS.jpg

#buyunlockedifpossible

No hyperbole: Carriers are ruining Android

Slowing down updates, bloating the phone up with branding and 100% useless apps. The average person might not even know how to disable apps, and get constantly annoyed by all the prompts and notifications they get from services they don't want. Then they get fed up and switch to the iPhone.

Picked up the G5 just an hour ago at a T-Mo store. They had 2 only lol and in gold. I don't have any of the visible issues that Erica Griffin did. I haven't tested the light bleeding yet though. I'll post more as I use it.

daoster

Picked up the G5 just an hour ago at a T-Mo store. They had 2 only lol and in gold. I don't have any of the visible issues that Erica Griffin did. I haven't tested the light bleeding yet though. I'll post more as I use it.

Battery Life. I would like to know battery life when you get more time to play around with it.

scratch it somewhere that the video didn't and see if its real metal under some parts and that part in the video was just an antenna line.

reKon

Banned
It's probably more the bloat than anything.

My sister had an LG G3 and it was the worse performing phone I've ever seen in my life. Even reboots it didn't help. I'm still convinced there was was some sort of hardware issues. Otherwise Verizon is the worst ever if it was really the bloat that was dragging performance down the whole time.

Also, technically I have some bloat on my S7 and it's while not the zippiest device I've used before, it's definitely the smoothest phone I've used. I'm running Nova launcher and I've disabled most of the bloat that I'm able to.

The screen is bright as hell. I have very small light bleed around the screen but not noticeable at all unless it's cranked up super high while black. All in all though the screen for an LCD is very good. A lot better than the G3.

CronoShot

Haha, wow. What were they thinking?

Edit:

Hmm.

Love how LG was bragging about having a metal phone with no antenna lines, when in reality they're just hiding the antenna lines (and the metal itself) under a thick layer of plastic.

Oh LG. This could turn into an HTC One M9 style bomb for them.

No Love

Banned
The screen is bright as hell. I have very small light bleed around the screen but not noticeable at all unless it's cranked up super high while black. All in all though the screen for an LCD is very good. A lot better than the G3.

Yeah, I think the LCD is what killed the G4 and G5 for me. I hate the black levels on my LG G4 LCD... and Samsung's AMOLED uses a LOT less juice AND looks way better? Done.

Kaiken

Banned
Now that I think LG has lost it's touched with this module crap the only other phone I'm looking forward to is Huawei's P9. I like everything about it so far and can only hope it comes state side. If that falls through then I'll have to hold my breath until Moto's new line up comes along.

No hyperbole: Carriers are ruining Android

Slowing down updates, bloating the phone up with branding and 100% useless apps. The average person might not even know how to disable apps, and get constantly annoyed by all the prompts and notifications they get from services they don't want. Then they get fed up and switch to the iPhone.

I seriously don't see how this is legal to treat all companies but one this way. Obviosly it's just business but still...

You would think Google is talking to the government about this. It's bad.

No Love

Banned

I am pretty pissed about the sneaky locked bootloaders. It's stupid and pointless to lock them. Carriers need to knock that shit off.

If you live in the US buy only non carrier phones. End of story. The only acception should be subsidized business plans etc.

You miss out on Samsung this year but you still should get to choose from every other flagship phone.

The customers are the only ones that can stop this garbage.

clav

I am pretty pissed about the sneaky locked bootloaders. It's stupid and pointless to lock them. Carriers need to knock that shit off.

What's worse is the problem is exclusive to NA. Other countries have consumer protection laws against those practices.

I seriously don't see how this is legal to treat all companies but one this way. Obviosly it's just business but still...

Because people worry so much about what Google might do and not realize those things are usually already being done by Apple or facebook I.e. facebooks attempts in India to honeypot people into loyalty

clav

It's mindblowing how cheap phones are in the usa. No wonder subsidies are dead there.

Mm. That depends on how you look at it.

People often mock the iPhone (non-SE) is expensive and not worth it, but at least here in the US, it's sold with all the LTE bands. You can take the phone to any country as long as it's unlocked.

Now with the introduction with the iPhone SE, Apple copied the cheap model and only included bands exclusive to carriers + some.

If you buy a cheap Android phone like BLU, you can use the phone here but not elsewhere.

The main problem is flagship phones are visibly approved through the FCC that have missing bands.

Even the Nexus phones have variants with some missing important bands used in those countries.

reKon

Banned
If you live in the US buy only non carrier phones. End of story. The only acception should be subsidized business plans etc.

You miss out on Samsung this year but you still should get to choose from every other flagship phone.

The customers are the only ones that can stop this garbage.

I will when I get my fucking 5 inch screen, compact phones. If manufacturers want to carry on making phones that I'm uncomfortable with holding, then they can fuck off. Even the Nexus 5x was bigger than I desired.

It's sad that I had to import an Xperia just to get the phone size I wanted. Would have gladly kept that as my phone too if it had 12 band LTE. At least I have an amazing back up phone..

I have an LG G3 and I would like better battery and performance.. What's all this about?

I recently grabbed Nova launcher and basically copied someone's set up from Reddit. Loving the look of this :D

Beautiful. Was going to ask if you had the 6P judging by the Wallpaper but it still looks good.

this_guy

But the carriers are the manufacturer's customers. It sucks for us the consumer.

ArchAngel

Are there any good cases for the Pixel C? I don't mean the cheap plastic cases that scratch the edges, I mean something like Apples iPad leather cases. Can't find anything like that. Really loved them ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom