• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Are there any good cases for the Pixel C? I don't mean the cheap plastic cases that scratch the edges, I mean something like Apples iPad leather cases. Can't find anything like that. Really loved them ...

Search for ProCase wallet or Folio case stand cover. Good luck though, Amazon doesn't have them.

The Folio keyboard on Googles site is pretty cool too, but I just went with the metal one as I prefer it.

But the carriers are the manufacturer's customers. It sucks for us the consumer.

But nothing. Manufacturers hate this shit more than we do. Why do you think Motorola pulled their flagship phone out of carrier stores. Why do you think Sony can't get shit launched on Verizon?

Samsung is probably the only oem that is down with it because they like turning their consumers into ads if that means more money or better shelf space.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
But nothing. Manufacturers hate this shit more than we do. Why do you think Motorola pulled their flagship phone out of carrier stores. Why do you think Sony can't get shit launched on Verizon?

I think this post unintentionally turned into a rationale on why manufacturers have to play along. Sony and Moto lol.

kami_sama

I have an LG G3 and I would like better battery and performance.. What's all this about?

I recently grabbed Nova launcher and basically copied someone's set up from Reddit. Loving the look of this :D

How'd you get the fingerprint and what use does it have?

reKon

Banned
I have an LG G3 and I would like better battery and performance.. What's all this about?

I recently grabbed Nova launcher and basically copied someone's set up from Reddit. Loving the look of this :D

Lol I set my background and lock screen to this background as well. This plus the Urmun icon pack is perfection. Everything is so clear, hi res, and clean. The icon maker is so active that I'm not missing any icons at all.

On my S7, the theme store is brilliant. I'm very happy with the free stock Android themes and there's a dark version of it too. Just very happy with the look of the phone between my theme set up and hardware feel with my Dbrand skin applied.

Megasoum

Banned
So I'm having intermitent issues with my MotoX Play where the battery just fails randomly when using the camera...

Decided to go to the store to try to get it swapped out for another one.

The guy had to go through the "Replacement protocol" which mean he did a Factory Reset and then try to reproduce the issue... Obviously he wasn't able to reproduce the issue... Ending result I did a factory reset for nothing.

I did do some backups just in case before I left home but I am I crazy or the last time I did a factory reset there was a lot of stuff that came back automatically when I first logged in on my Google account like my wallpaper, app icons and stuff like that.

I just logged in my account and nothing came back... Am I missing something?

reKon

Banned
Yes the state of the non iPhone phone industry is funny. Not.

It's quite sad too. I'm glad there are still a ton of great options for the most part, but I'm really interested in seeing what happens. It would be a terrible future we had limited options among highend Android devices. The great thing is that even the mid range devices are excellent and offer some beefy specs. I know that many people in this thread wouldn't care because they are already Apple fanboys, but I do because there's things in Android that I absolutely must have that Apple refuses to implement into iOS.

Cheebo

Banned
Yes the state of the non iPhone phone industry is funny. Not.
It's because the carriers NEED the iPhone. They have no choice but to give into Apple's demands. Investors would revolt if one of the big 4 dropped iPhone because Apple refused to include bloatware. iPhone is the top selling phone on all of the major US carriers, their businesses rely on it.

On the other-hand if someone like Motorola, Sony, LG, or whomever demanded no bloatware the carrier would drop them because they have countless other Android phones to sell including the only one with significant marketshare with Samsung.

The fact there is only "one" iPhone gives the leverage. Multiple Android OEMS means one cant have leverage and demand the removal of bloatware.

The nature of the Android market is why there is bloatware.

Anyone got any tips for someone who just bought an S7 Edge but has been using iOS for seven years? Already using Nova Launcher, SwiftKey, and DoubleTwist Curious if Gmail is the best mail client I can use, and if third party phone apps are a thing.

Thanks for the help guys. Feels so strange and entirely new.

yogloo

An anecdotal story on a sad state of fragmented android.

Yesterday a friend of mine saw me using flight radar. He was intrigued and interested after I showed him what it can do. He immediately went to buy the app in the app store. After some searching at the app store, he was disappointed and told me it's not available on the app store. He asked me if I used any special method to get the app. I was a bit confused and I asked him to show me his phone. Guess where he was searching for the app. Samsung app store.

reKon

Banned

Yesterday a friend of mine saw me using flight radar. He was intrigued and interested after I showed him what it can do. He immediately went to buy the app in the app store. After some searching at the app store, he was disappointed and told me it's not available on the app store. He asked me if I used any special method to get the app. I was a bit confused and I asked him to show me his phone. Guess where he was searching for the app. Samsung app store.

yikes....

yikes

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think that's a good thing, actually. I don't need one app store monopolizing an entire mobile ecosystem.

Shiggy

I'm pretty sure Samsung phones also have the Google Play Store. So it might just be that your friend is a tech noob, not a problem of having the option to choose between different storefronts.

In real life you also don't describe supermarkets as a sad state of fragmentation when there are Tesco and Sainsbury and only one of them has the product you're looking for.

The unsleeping tech wizards at XDA have found a way to unlock the bootloader on the now 2 generations old Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/ver...t/rd-unlocking-galaxys-s5-bootloader-t3337909

This relies on an exploit that lets you write to the secure area of any Samsung eMMC. It's specifically useful for Verizon S5's because those phones exist in 2 variants, the standard retail version sold in stores and the Developer Editions that Samsung sold for a short time. You can use this exploit to flash the DevEd bootloader to retail versions and make them into bootloader-unlocked DevEds.

There also exists the DevEd for the Note 4, so people are now working on doing the same thing to retail Verizon Note 4's.

This exploit requires the phone to exist in a bootloader-unlocked version somewhere in private hands, from which the unlocked bootloader region of the eMMC can be extracted and then flashed to phones with a locked bootloader. For this reason, AT&T S5's which never had a DevEd cannot be flashed using this exploit. Similarly, no DevEd ever existed for Verizon and AT&T Galaxy S6's.

The exploit itself could have pretty wide-ranging uses, as it's a general exploit which lets you write to any Samsung eMMC's secure region. For now though, all you can do with it is unlock certain Verizon Galaxy S5's.

^^ Geez, my damn AT&T Note 4 is never going to be root able, haha.

I just got an update for my Note 4 and I was excited since I was expecting the Marshmallow update but all it seemed to be was a performance and security update. :/

Maybe it's an preliminary update prepping it for the 6.0.1 update?

yogloo

I'm pretty sure Samsung phones also have the Google Play Store. So it might just be that your friend is a tech noob, not a problem of having the option to choose between different storefronts.

In real life you also don't describe supermarkets as a sad state of fragmentation when there are Tesco and Sainsbury and only one of them has the product you're looking for.
Yes he is a tech noob. I guess fragmentation is a bad way choice of word to describe this but I imagine there is a lot of people who switched because of this.

NotBacon

Anyone got any tips for someone who just bought an S7 Edge but has been using iOS for seven years? Already using Nova Launcher, SwiftKey, and DoubleTwist Curious if Gmail is the best mail client I can use, and if third party phone apps are a thing.

Download Google Now Launcher, Google Keyboard, Google Play Music, and then hate yourself because you didn't buy a Nexus.

If you want to get a Nexus-esque experience, just pretty much ignore the Samsung defaults and stick to Google apps like the ones I mentioned above. If you don't dig it, you can always go back to the Samsung way.

Yes Gmail is great and handles multiple email accounts with ease, even non-Gmail ones.

Also great apps:
Google Messenger
Google Keep
Google Opinion Rewards
Pocket Casts
Reddit Sync

Yes he is a tech noob. I guess fragmentation is a bad way choice of word to describe this but I imagine there is a lot of people who switched because of this.

Bingo. People don't like to be confused over simple shit. If this happens enough times, whether it be Samsung clutter or carrier bloatware, people will leave because 'Android' is confusing.

So I was thinking...has Android TV been given up on by OEM's or something? I was thinking about getting a Nexus Player or the like for my bedroom and then it struck me that no retailer except Google is selling it anymore. Also it seems like the only other device to use it was Nvidia's SHIELD.

I think that's a good thing, actually. I don't need one app store monopolizing an entire mobile ecosystem.

On the same fucking phone? No. The ecosystem is the playstore. Having multiple stores is horrible for end user experience. Buy another phone if you want a second ecosystem.

Lol. Clown shoes logic.

You don't read well.

So I was thinking...has Android TV been given up on by OEM's or something? I was thinking about getting a Nexus Player or the like for my bedroom and then it struck me that no retailer except Google is selling it anymore. Also it seems like the only other device to use it was Nvidia's SHIELD.

Sony, Phillips and Sharp and some other smaller brands are using Android TV. It was never really about set top top boxes. It's about smart TVs which is still being battled and will take a while for the winners to prevail (like smart phones). The Android TV ecosystem is growing well and I have actually been keeping tabs on it since I am currently writing an Android TV app.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Multiple app stores are a good thing. Bad for consumers in the short term. But like no 3.5mm, oh well. Not everything has to be immediately understandable. Sometimes users have to learn things and here's one of the rare instances where confusion is warranted. I don't need yet another monopoly on my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7It5DWk3CoA

Murdoch

Android TV is still a relatively new product in the grand scheme of things. I will say however that my Nvidia shield TV has legitimately taken away over 70% of my gaming time spent on the PS4. There are some great titles available for it and with Borderlands TPS coming out this week its not going to change anytime soon : )

I'm really, really hoping that it takes off in a big way and Android starts to compete with proper consoles in earnest with some "day and date" PC gaming port releases (because of the recent release of Vulkan API's).

DagsJT

Android TV is still a relatively new product in the grand scheme of things. I will say however that my Nvidia shield TV has legitimately taken away over 70% of my gaming time spent on the PS4. There are some great titles available for it and with Borderlands TPS coming out this week its not going to change anytime soon : )

I'm really, really hoping that it takes off in a big way and Android starts to compete with proper consoles in earnest with some "day and date" PC gaming port releases (because of the recent release of Vulkan API's).

Borderlands is already out, by the way.

Which other titles would you recommend for the TV? I've had mine for a week so looking for good games.

Murdoch

Borderlands is already out, by the way.

Which other titles would you recommend for the TV? I've had mine for a week so looking for good games.

I may have worded that badly; but yeah I've been playing it quite a bit already : ) Add me on GooglePlayGames if you like ID : MurdyPlops.

Good games for the device; looking past the obvious ones... (Doom 3 BFG Edition, Half life Ep1-2, Portal, KOTOR, Borderlands TPS)

I would heartily recommend...

Pix the cat, Any of the telltale games, Riptide 2, BeachBuggy Racing, Implosion : never lose hope (excellent title), Reckless racing 3, Mechanic escape, Geometry Wars 3, This war of mine, GTA III, Vice City, Liberty City Stories, Chinatown Wars, Joe Danger, Does not commute, Oddworld Strangers Wrath + Munch's Oddysee, Xenowerk, Tabletop Racing, NBA Jam, Machinariam, The Bards Tale, Samurai : Vengeance, Dead Effect 2

Thats plenty to be getting on with and will cost you about the same as a single new PS4 release :p #

Enjoy!

DagsJT

I may have worded that badly; but yeah I've been playing it quite a bit already : ) Add me on GooglePlayGames if you like ID : Murdy_Plops.

Good games for the device; looking past the obvious ones... (Doom 3 BFG Edition, Half life Ep1-2, Portal, KOTOR, Borderlands TPS)

Pix the cat, Any of the telltale games, Riptide 2, BeachBuggy Racing, Implosion : never lose hope (excellent title), Reckless racing 3, Mechanic escape, Geometry Wars 3, This war of mine, GTA III, Vice City, Liberty City Stories, Chinatown Wars, Joe Danger, Does not commute, Oddworld Strangers Wrath + Munch's Oddysee, Xenowerk, Tabletop Racing, NBA Jam, Machinariam, The Bards Tale, Samurai : Vengeance, Dead Effect 2

Thats plenty to be getting on with and will cost you about the same as a single new PS4 release :p #

Enjoy!

this_guy

Samsung is probably the only oem that is down with it because they like turning their consumers into ads if that means more money or better shelf space.

My point stands. The carriers are the customers. Moto and Sony are examples of two oems with shit sales because they can't sell to the biggest customers - the carriers.

I think this post unintentionally turned into a rationale on why manufacturers have to play along. Sony and Moto lol.

Exactly

I may have worded that badly; but yeah I've been playing it quite a bit already : ) Add me on GooglePlayGames if you like ID : MurdyPlops.

Enjoy!

Honestly the geforce now library is starting to get really good so titles in there should maybe be mentioned as well. The only thing that sucks is you can't use it on other Android TV devices.

I've also been playing Steam games on my Shield Android TV with nvidia gamestream. Works great.

Joe

Is it possible to get a random battery vampire?

My phone battery has been draining quick lately. I got a brand new battery and it's the same thing.

I'm running vanilla 4.4.2

Is there an app I can download that scans for possibilities?

Noema

My phone battery has been draining quick lately. I got a brand new battery and it's the same thing.

Post your battery stats. I assume you're getting really bad idle battery drain?

iOS exists for a reason.

No Love

Banned
I am pretty pissed about the sneaky locked bootloaders. It's stupid and pointless to lock them. Carriers need to knock that shit off.

What's worse is the problem is exclusive to NA. Other countries have consumer protection laws against those practices.

I might have to snag an unlocked Exynos... would rather not be stuck on stock ROM.

Please make sure to get root and then use these:

Wakelock Detector (Start with this):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector&hl=en

BetterBatteryStats:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

Joe

Post your battery stats. I assume you're getting really bad idle battery drain?
Thanks, never knew that existed.

GgovADw.jpg

Are those lifetime stats or recent stats? My wifi has been off for a while even since I last fully charged my phone.

Noema

Thanks, never knew that existed.

That's monstrously bad cell / wifi battery drain.

How's your cell reception at home?

Do you live in a dorm? Why has your wifi been off? Is it usually off when you're at home / work?

What phone do you have? Why are you still on 4.4.2?

Joe said:
Are those lifetime stats or recent stats? My wifi has been off for a while even since I last fully charged my phone

Those are your stats since your last full charge.

Tap on "xhym on battery" so we can see more stats.

Nothing I do seems to sort out the diabolical battery with this phone. I might just cut my losses and sell it soon. The S7 Edge is almost perfect, bar my fear that I'll still get these unexplainable battery drains moving to it.
inexplicable battery drains are part of the adventure of owning an android phone. Are you not adventerous?

Nothing I do seems to sort out the diabolical battery with this phone. I might just cut my losses and sell it soon. The S7 Edge is almost perfect, bar my fear that I'll still get these unexplainable battery drains moving to it.

Which phone isn't turning location services off? In my experience location services is rarely an issue anymore. It's crap hidden in Google play service or just general inefficiently at idle with the snapdragon 808/810.

Also keep in mind the battery on the s7 rates better than the iPhone 6s even with Androids battery issues.

kharma45

Which phone isn't turning location services off? In my experience location services is rarely an issue anymore. It's crap hidden in Google play service or just general inefficiently at idle with the snapdragon 808/810.

G4.

Biggest drain is Android System, I go into it and GPS was active in total today for 9h 36m despite having location turned off all day.

That's with a total of 1h 35m of SoT today to get to 10% battery. Android System is the biggest drain, screen is number 2.

Also keep in mind the battery on the s7 rates better than the iPhone 6s even with Androids battery issues.

If I went iOS I would go for the Plus model.

G4.

Biggest drain is Android System, I go into it and GPS was active in total today for 9h 36m despite having location turned off all day.

That's with a total of 1h 35m of SoT today to get to 10% battery. Android System is the biggest drain, screen is number 2.

If I went iOS I would go for the Plus model.

The G4 was a disaster with performance and battery life from the start. The 808 could not run that phone. I wouldnt be surprised if the s7 edge has 3-4 times better battery than that phone.

kharma45

The G4 was a disaster with performance and battery life from the start. The 808 could not run that phone. I wouldnt be surprised if the s7 edge has 3-4 times better battery than that phone.

Performance is fine. Gets warm and there's the odd stutter but generally the phone has been smooth. It's just the battery that's been diabolical. Everything else has been pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom