• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your G4 is pathetic in comparison. Are you in the US? If not add a shit load more battery life onto the S7 Edge than what these charts show. Honestly the idle and active battery life on last years snapdragons is awful. Qualcomm ruined every phone last year.

80546.png

80548.png

IMHO wipe your current phone and restore and hold out until the Nexus 2016 iPhone 7 to decide. I bet a fresh wipe will clear up any issues. You could try something less dramatic like clearing the cache partition too.

No Love

Banned
G4.

Biggest drain is Android System, I go into it and GPS was active in total today for 9h 36m despite having location turned off all day.

That's with a total of 1h 35m of SoT today to get to 10% battery. Android System is the biggest drain, screen is number 2.

If I went iOS I would go for the Plus model.

You need to root. Lets you stop all those awful wakelocks. I'm fed up with my G4 at this point though and switching to S7 Edge.

UK.

What's the difference in the two tests? One is respectable, the other is horrific.

Well then you are in luck because the s7 and s7 Edge battery life is much better than what you see here even.

Its not horrific at all. It handily beats the iPhone 6s plus in battery which is one of the top battery performers out there. Yes i do get its odd that the G4 does well in the old 2013 test.

Aye I'd read about the Exynos being better.

There was an article out there that shows it smoking the 820 variant in battery life and performance (except gpu) but i cant find it. I wonder if Samsung got it taken down.

Its an enormous difference. The Exynos is the leading chip on the market by far IMO.

Noema

Android idle drain is still pretty bad for the most part. Doze helps but it barely has made a difference in my experience. I still average over 1% idle drain per hour which is not all that great and that's a best case scenario. If I'm out and about and not on wifi it's much worse. It's so easy for a rogue app or process to just go berserk and keep your phone awake for hours, whether it be location services, mediaserver, or the worst of the worst, mystery Google play services drain.

Doze 2.0 on N sounds promising. Let's see how that turns out but his is definitely my biggest gripe with Android right now. Also, they need more granular, detailed battery usage breakdowns out of the box instead of just "Google Play Services or Android System drained 35% of your battery". It's dumb that root+xposed+ a bunch of 3rd party apps are required to figure out what is draining battery.

Download Google Now Launcher, Google Keyboard, Google Play Music, and then hate yourself because you didn't buy a Nexus.

If you want to get a Nexus-esque experience, just pretty much ignore the Samsung defaults and stick to Google apps like the ones I mentioned above. If you don't dig it, you can always go back to the Samsung way.

Yes Gmail is great and handles multiple email accounts with ease, even non-Gmail ones.

Also great apps:
Google Messenger
Google Keep
Google Opinion Rewards
Pocket Casts
Reddit Sync

Bingo. People don't like to be confused over simple shit. If this happens enough times, whether it be Samsung clutter or carrier bloatware, people will leave because 'Android' is confusing.
I had never heard of Google Keep before. This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I've used Evernote + Google Now reminders for years. Sharing notes in Evernote is so clunky. This is great.

No Love

Banned
The G4 was a disaster with performance and battery life from the start. The 808 could not run that phone. I wouldnt be surprised if the s7 edge has 3-4 times better battery than that phone.

G4 performance is awesome but I have not been able to get consistent battery life with it in any case. Stock ROM, debloated custom stovk-based ROM, CM13 ROM... Nothing can stop the screen from sucking the juice out. Really disappointing. 808 and 810 were a huge misstep.

Noema

Google Keep rocks. Specially now that there's an iOS client, too. Great for people with an Android phone and an iPad.

Evernote is just too much. I suppose there's people out there who benefit from its more advanced features but for simple note taking it feels like using Photoshop to crop an image.

No Love

Banned
There was an article out there that shows it smoking the 820 variant in battery life and performance (except gpu) but i cant find it. I wonder if Samsung got it taken down.

Its an enormous difference. The Exynos is the leading chip on the market by far IMO.

http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_edge_battery_life_both_exynos_and_snapdragon-blog-17325.php

Shame that Samsung decided to give the US the more gimped phone. Yes the GPU is awesome but that is very rarely used

I really want to buy an International Note 6 when it comes out to get Exynos and unlocked bootloader and switch from Verizon to T-Mobile. All Snapdragon Galaxy devices now having a locked bootloader in North America regardless of carrier is too much no bueno for me to stomach.

The issue is that you only get T-Mobile's VoLTE support if you use a T-Mobile device running a T-Mobile ROM, the International version can't do VoLTE on T-Mobile. Aaaarrrrrghhh

Google Keep rocks. Specially now that there's an iOS client, too. Great for people with an Android phone and an iPad.

Evernote is just too much. I suppose there's people out there who benefit from its more advanced features but for simple note taking it feels like using Photoshop to crop an image.
I agree, that's a perfect description.

iavi

I feel the same way, but I find OneNote to be the happy medium between Keep's sparseness and Evernote's abundancy.

Android idle drain is still pretty bad for the most part. Doze helps but it barely has made a difference in my experience. I still average over 1% idle drain per hour which is not all that great and that's a best case scenario. If I'm out and about and not on wifi it's much worse. It's so easy for a rogue app or process to just go berserk and keep your phone awake for hours, whether it be location services, mediaserver, or the worst of the worst, mystery Google play services drain.

Doze 2.0 on N sounds promising. Let's see how that turns out but his is definitely my biggest gripe with Android right now. Also, they need more granular, detailed battery usage breakdowns out of the box instead of just "Google Play Services or Android System drained 35% of your battery". It's dumb that root+xposed+ a bunch of 3rd party apps are required to figure out what is draining battery.

It was much better on the newer Nexus devices with 6.0 until the 6.0.1 update and then even worse on the March update. It was iPhone good back in the fall. I was losing 1 - 3 percent over night and now I lose 10+.

I actually told a couple Android devs about it including one that works on doze.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Has there been an N update yet? How's it running for the 6P daily driver users?

No Love

Banned
I really want to buy an International Note 6 when it comes out to get Exynos and unlocked bootloader and switch from Verizon to T-Mobile. All Snapdragon Galaxy devices now having a locked bootloader in North America regardless of carrier is too much no bueno for me to stomach.

The issue is that you only get T-Mobile's VoLTE support if you use a T-Mobile device running a T-Mobile ROM, the International version can't do VoLTE on T-Mobile. Aaaarrrrrghhh

VoLTE is a very minor loss IMO.

Looking for some help please. I have my Note 10.1 (2014 edition) rooted as it is on kitkat but I wanted the ability to save apps on the sd card.

I want to update to the latest lollipop now that it's available for my device. But I'm not sure how it will handle the stuff I have installed to the sd card via the rooted method. Can I just update with no concerns? Thanks

KageMaru

Considering the G5 with camera grip attachment. By chance, does anyone know of a case that accommodates the phone plus camera attachment? I've been searching but no luck so far.

So the fingerprint is unlocking the phone straight to "desktop"? That sounds like a good feature.

It's not when I just want to look at notifications or skip music through the lockscreen music widget. It does have double tap to wake which I can use instead but sometimes I forget.

I thought that's the way it's supposed to work.

Unrelated question, how is the battery performance on the G5?

Not really. The Samsung phones require your finger be on the sensor for a relatively good amount of time before it will unlock. I'm not really complaining. Just an observation.

Battery performance is ok so far. I've only had it for 3 days. Can't really assess it with that.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Not really. The Samsung phones require your finger be on the sensor for a relatively good amount of time before it will unlock. I'm not really complaining. Just an observation.

Battery performance is ok so far. I've only had it for 3 days. Can't really assess it with that.

I'd much rather go straight to desktop as fast as possible than stop at a lock screen, requiring another action. But I do see the point of losing the ability to interact with notifications and/or dynamic content (music widgets...).

If you are on M and use Greenify with agressive settings its like N.

Can you do it without root?

I'm still using the Qualcomm Snapdragon battery app on my Nexus 5, but at this point I'm not sure it actually does anything, other than providing a somewhat usable battery saver mode (the native one turns the phone into a sluggish mess).

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can you do it without root?

I'm still using the Qualcomm Snapdragon battery app on my Nexus 5, but at this point I'm not sure it actually does anything, other than providing a somewhat usable battery saver mode (the native one turns the phone into a sluggish mess).

No clue, I'm rooted on CM13. Snapdragon battery did not work nearly as well for me as Greenify does.

As to the G5 paint dilemma. Is it cold to the touch like metal or warm like plastic? That's what makes something "metal" to me, paint or not.

No clue, I'm rooted on CM13. Snapdragon battery did not work nearly as well for me as Greenify does.

As to the G5 paint dilemma. Is it cold to the touch like metal or warm like plastic? That's what makes something "metal" to me, paint or not.

More in between. I haven't touched the G5 in the morning directly since I have a case on, but it doesn't feel like plastic or does it feel like metal. It feels weird more kind like when you touch a car? It feels kinda like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom