• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
More in between. I haven't touched the G5 in the morning directly since I have a case on, but it doesn't feel like plastic or does it feel like metal. It feels weird more kind like when you touch a car? It feels kinda like that.

Thanks. So that cool, firm painted metal feel.

HawkeyeIC

Looks like the April Nexus update is just security.

Do not like the new look of the 'play' icons.I use an icon pack, so i guess it doesn't matter.

Groof

i like the new icons. now i just hope they'll update the god awful play music app too so it finally can be material

HawkeyeIC

i like the new icons. now i just hope they'll update the god awful play music app too so it finally can be material

Coming with the podcast integration update hopefully. I forgot how bad it was to navigate through that app until I tried to have my wife change artists while driving...

Megasoum

Banned
I have a MotoX Play

I use Spotify and specified in the options to store the downloaded music on the SD Card.

When I'm in the Storage section of the settings it still says that the Spotify app uses 1.92gb on my internal memory...

When I browse the SD card I can see that there's folders with files that total about the same size...

So why the fuck does Spotify uses the space on both devices?

Oh and also... When I plug my phone on my PC via USB it doesn't show up in My Computers?

So, expandable storage. It's f'n great having all this extra space. All Android phones should have them. It's optional, so if someone doesn't like it, they don't have to use it. But more options are never bad.

--

New play icons look great, though I wish the music one still used headphones.

CronoShot

You know your phone launch isn't going so well when you have to issue a press release saying that your metal phone isn't made of plastic.

Chorazin

So, expandable storage. It's f'n great having all this extra space. All Android phones should have them. It's optional, so if someone doesn't like it, they don't have to use it. But more options are never bad.

--

New play icons look great, though I wish the music one still used headphones.

Agreed. I'm a pic horder, even with Google Photos auto backing up my pics, I keep them all. Saving them to the SD card is awesome for me.

j-wood

You know, I love Google Music. I really do. I think it's best service.

However. Who the fuck is in charge of tagging the genre's for songs? An 80 year old?

If I go to metal and look at the top songs, I don't expect to see Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Three Days Grace, and Led Zeppelin.

So let's go just look at rock then. That has to be better right?

Nope.

Who the hell is x ambassadors, elle king, james bay, charlie puth, jidenna, one republic, and what the fuck are they doing in the rock section. So stupid.

So, I'm not even sure how to interpret the OT itself, but...I'm looking for a new phone. Coming from Windows Phone and entertaining both iOS and Android options. Looking for nothing larger than 5"--speed and reliability is key, as well. I don't really care if it has the best in class camera or specs as long as it works, is reliable, and looks decent.

EmiPrime

So, I'm not even sure how to interpret the OT itself, but...I'm looking for a new phone. Coming from Windows Phone and entertaining both iOS and Android options. Looking for nothing larger than 5"--speed and reliability is key, as well. I don't really care if it has the best in class camera or specs as long as it works, is reliable, and looks decent.

You're probably best off getting an iPhone 6S. Those of us who want nothing larger than a 5" phone got screwed over when LG put an underpowered SOC in the Nexus 5X. The Galaxy S7 is on the universal praise part of the Samsung phone cycle but give it a month and there will be the usual complaints of slowdown and bad battery life like with every other Samsung phone before it.

hitgirl

You know what's super concerning. I'm using a Nexus 5X on Verizon and sometimes people say they call me and I never get the call.

You know what's super concerning. I'm using a Nexus 5X on Verizon and sometimes people say they call me and I never get the call.

I can't be sure, but I think that's more of a carrier/signal issue than it is a phone issue.

My girlfriend uses an iPhone on AT&T and sometimes doesn't get calls (not even missed calls).

Sometimes with my Note 4 it'll beep telling me that I have a new voicemail, but it never rang in the first place.

You're probably best off getting an iPhone 6S. Those of us who want nothing larger than a 5" phone got screwed over when LG put an underpowered SOC in the Nexus 5X. The Galaxy S7 is on the universal praise part of the Samsung phone cycle but give it a month and there will be the usual complaints of slowdown and bad battery life like with every other Samsung phone before it.

Thanks for being honest! I'm probably gonna pick up an SE since it's cheaper. A bit smaller than I'd like but it'll do nicely.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
What the fuck is wrong with Motorola? I don't think they give a fuck anymore after they where bought by Lenovo.
They just fucked a lot of cameras with the last app update (including mine). Just look at the app page in Google Play.
That's just ridiculous...and it's not just one phone model.

studyguy

Hey AndroidGAF, running a S4 now and I had to fix some internals a while back ago and now it feels like I'm walking around with a space heater in my pocket. Feels like I should dump this before the battery explodes or something.

Anyway, not sure if I should just pick up an 5X on the cheap right now or roll with a S6 deal from ATT since I want to get my dad an upgrade as well (they're doing some buy one, get a second one and he's currently sitting on an old S3).

Any suggestions? Not really looking to break the bank I guess.

The Nexus 5X is a great phone but that has a 5.2" display and it's has a pretty large footprint to go alongside it thanks to the big bezels. The price is also great at $250/$300 from Project Fi until April 7th.

Hey AndroidGAF, running a S4 now and I had to fix some internals a while back ago and now it feels like I'm walking around with a space heater in my pocket. Feels like I should dump this before the battery explodes or something.

Anyway, not sure if I should just pick up an 5X on the cheap right now or roll with a S6 deal from ATT since I want to get my dad an upgrade as well (they're doing some buy one, get a second one and he's currently sitting on an old S3).

I can't see why you wouldn't get the S7 instead given how much better of an upgrade it is. That being said make sure you are aware that AT&T's B1G1 requires you to add a new line for the free phone. Regardless if you aren't looking to spend a lot you should get in on the Nexus 5X deal from Project Fi before it ends. You would be hard pressed to find a better phone at the $250/$300 price tag.

Noema

Blu Life one X for $150

The Nexus 5X is a great phone but that has a 5.2" display and it's has a pretty large footprint to go alongside it thanks to the big bezels. The price is also great at $250/$300 from Project Fi until April 7th.

I can't see why you wouldn't get the S7 instead given how much better of an upgrade it is. That being said make sure you are aware that AT&T's B1G1 requires you to add a new line for the free phone. Regardless if you aren't looking to spend a lot you should get in on the Nexus 5X deal from Project Fi before it ends. You would be hard pressed to find a better phone at the $250/$300 price tag.

Damn, that looks amazing--but this seems like a carrier switch would be required, too? My ATT contract isn't up until November.

studyguy

Ah I assumed the B1G1 deal worked with dual upgrades. Maybe not, plus the deal for the credit only worked with S6 models iirc, was just something I figured would be an okay upgrade for my father and I both.

That's incorrect. The price is only $200/$250

Damn, that looks amazing--but this seems like a carrier switch would be required, too? My ATT contract isn't up until November.

No carrier switch necessary even though you probably should. :)

reKon

Banned
Xperia Z5 Compact should still be considered because it's cheaper now a days, offers good performance, and is it battery beast which will out last most phones including the iPhone SE.

studyguy

Oh I didn't realize you could just pick up the 5X on Fi then cancel the plan after 30 days lol. Otherwise I was seeing the same phone unlocked for whatever service on ebay and stuff too around the same price.

Furyous

You've got options:

The G5 is comes with a removable battery and microsd support. It has a screen that displays 900 nits of brightness.
The S6/S6/S7/S7 Edge are solid devices
The Z5/Z5C are cool and have dedicated AOSP support straight from Sony.
The Nexus 5X/GP are great and run on stock Android

This is the android thread so I refuse to talk about other platforms including something Windows Phone, seriously ewwww.

Couple cool things I noticed with my G5 that are nice. Any bluetooth audio device connected has a battery indicator right next of the bluetooth icon. Also the fingerprint reader won't read my finger at all if my phone is in my pocket.

However. Who the fuck is in charge of tagging the genre's for songs? An 80 year old?

If I go to metal and look at the top songs, I don't expect to see Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Three Days Grace, and Led Zeppelin.

Nope.

Who the hell is x ambassadors, elle king, james bay, charlie puth, jidenna, one republic, and what the fuck are they doing in the rock section. So stupid.
Looking at the top charts for rock, Carrie Underwood is listed. What the.

Nope.

They got it right with the metal list since modern metal makes my ears bleed.

get the Samsung. it's honestly barely bigger than a Apple 6 in reality.

Xipfmoo.jpg

bezels!

I posted this in tech support, but once I saw this thread, I thought it might be better posted here. I have an Asus ME572C K007 tablet running Android 5.0.1 (latest system update), and recently it's having issues with my Wi-Fi (2.4Ghz) on my home network. When loading anything using internet access, it's very inconsistent. Usually, it will load part of a web page or a couple rows of the Google Play store, but stop there. A lot of times it won't load anything and keep spinning.

I have a Gigabyte laptop and a Samsung Galaxy S6 that connect to the same network, and they load web pages and everything else internet related fine. I did some speed tests using speedtest.net on all three devices in the same physical location, and the Asus tablet will come up with inconsistent low download speeds, and sometimes it will come up with a "network communication error". My phone and laptop test fine on the same network.

The tablet worked fine with my network a few days ago, so I'm not sure what's changed. I've tried rebooting the tablet in safe mode, turning off location and bluetooth, disconnecting and reconnecting to the network, and turning off power saving mode, but nothing has helped. What else can I try? I'll provide more information if needed. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom