• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an Android guy but I agree with the 6S suggestion. I know the SE is cheaper but if you are willing, you can probably find a good or mint condition 6S on Swappa.com for roughly a little more.

Thanks, I hadn't heard about Swappa--just set up some alerts.

No carrier switch necessary even though you probably should. :)

Haha, I wouldn't mind switching but I'm in a family plan and have grandfathered unlimited data, as well.

Good to know I wouldn't need to switch. I guess I need to do some more research/reading on it.

get the Samsung. it's honestly barely bigger than a Apple 6 in reality.

Xipfmoo.jpg

bezels!

Which Samsung is that?

Activated my free Google Music 60 day trial last night. Decided to go to YouTube today and I'm stuck on the YouTube Red Let's Go screen. I've deleted, reinstalled, and it works fine on the previous version. The app launches, but when I click the "Let's Go" button it starts loading to the home page and then reverts back to the YouTube Red screen. Any advice?

Groof

Play music patrol tell me why is it that I'm stuck staring at a blank screen when I lose connection even though I got music downloaded
This shit is intolerable

Jigolo

http://m.gsmarena.com/huawei_p9_and...cameras_by_leica_kirin_955_soc-news-17640.php

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Huaw...l-Leica-cameras-and-Kirin-955-chipset_id79990

Huawei seems like the only company that wants to do away with bezels and have a more compact and ergonomic design.

From the Mate 8 to now the P9, they're pushing for good. Next step would be making those top and bottom bezels slightly smaller and getting front facing speakers there.

The P9 is what I'm hoping the Nexus 2016 is.

AndyD

aka andydumi
http://m.gsmarena.com/huawei_p9_and...cameras_by_leica_kirin_955_soc-news-17640.php

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Huaw...l-Leica-cameras-and-Kirin-955-chipset_id79990

Huawei seems like the only company that wants to do away with bezels and have a more compact and ergonomic design.

From the Mate 8 to now the P9, they're pushing for good. Next step would be making those top and bottom bezels slightly smaller and getting front facing speakers there.

These need to come to the US. But I'm not holding my breath.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour

If I upgrade from my 6P, I'm sticking with Huawei. Whether they make the next Nexus or not. I love their hardware.

Sharp Aquos says hi

co1onel

Huawei's promo pics are kinda misleading. There's actually a black bezel around the P9's screen that looks kind of ugly.
c865d31ed5.png

http://www.cnet.com/products/huawei-p9/

waxer

How is Huawei's software? Any good with updates?
I have a chinese imported honor 6 plus and am running android 6.0 emui 4.0
Each new major emui/android version change i had to download from them and install manually but all my settings and data stayed.

Despite the hate it gets software wise i like it. Newer versions seem to be a lot smarter about when to give notifications about power use etc that used to annoy some people.

Good battery life as well

How is Huawei's software? Any good with updates?

I've got an Honor 7, I can't stand EMUI, its the main reason why I'm looking to change phones at the moment. They have officially released Marshmallow for the phone, but EMUI is so heavily skinned and modded you wouldn't know you were running it.

Which is a shame, as the build quality and hardware of Huawei is really good.

New 2016 Galaxy A3 for £200, used Z5 Compact for £245, or iPhone SE for £429?

Help me out, I can't live with my Fire Phone's shocking battery much longer. Trying to find a small-ish phone (by today's standards) that has at least mid-range specs, solid build quality, and will last me at least 2 years.

Please don't suggest anything larger than 4.7", I have small hands and need to be able to hold a phone comfortably.

Blablurn

Help me out, I can't live with my Fire Phone's shocking battery much longer. Trying to find a small-ish phone (by today's standards) that has at least mid-range specs, solid build quality, and will last me at least 2 years.

Please don't suggest anything larger than 4.7", I have small hands and need to be able to hold a phone comfortably.
Mr Larcos

Everything you want you will find in that iPhone SE

SimleuqiR

We would have started hearing pretty concrete rumors about it by now if that was the case. I'd say highly unlikely.

This could be the year of the Pixel phone. Specially how now that N (preview) is out the Pixel C seems to be a very useful device.

There was that rumor about HTC being the Nexus partner for the next two years. But who knows. I really really wish Google stop pussy footing around and just make their own phones already.

Noema

Get the iPhone.

Did Google manufacturer the Pixel C themselves or did they have somebody else do it? I wonder if the reason they supposedly signed HTC into a multi-year deal was so they will manufacture for Google for a set period. Maybe they'll take further control how they want the hardware to come out and just have HTC handle the manufacturing process.

Following the supposed rumors it just seems weird why Google would suddenly pair up with a manufacturer like that for a lengthy period. Especially when they're coming off of the release of the Pixel C which would make you think they would consider developing their own phone hardware.

catmincer

I've got an Honor 7, I can't stand EMUI, its the main reason why I'm looking to change phones at the moment. They have officially released Marshmallow for the phone, but EMUI is so heavily skinned and modded you wouldn't know you were running it.

Which is a shame, as the build quality and hardware of Huawei is really good.

I agree, I had a p7 for a bit and the camera etc was quite good but the software on the rest of the phone was appaling, no app draw is not OK.

SimleuqiR

Did Google manufacturer the Pixel C themselves or did they have somebody else do it? I wonder if the reason they supposedly signed HTC into a multi-year deal was so they will manufacture for Google for a set period. Maybe they'll take further control how they want the hardware to come out and just have HTC handle the manufacturing process.

Following the supposed rumors it just seems weird why Google would suddenly pair up with a manufacturer like that for a lengthy period. Especially when they're coming off of the release of the Pixel C which would make you think they would consider developing their own phone hardware.

I mean, Apple doesn't manufacture the iPhone, but it is put together per their specifications and designed components. The Pixel C and the Chrome Pixel are fully designed and controlled by Google.

tzare

Anyone owns a first gen moto 360? There's a sale and it is available for 99€ and i wonder if it is worth it.
I've read that with latest marshmallow update it performs reasonably well and battery life lasts a day easily.

get the SE.

or bigger hands.

Hasney

Anyone owns a first gen moto 360? There's a sale and it is available for 99€ and i wonder if it is worth it.
I've read that with latest marshmallow update it performs reasonably well and battery life lasts a day easily.

Marshmallow just makes it less useful. It dozes so you get less notifications if it doesn't activate enough. Hilariously, Android Wear now even pops up a warning saying "Yo, shall we turn off those battery optimisations so you actually get notifications?"

That said, I don't know if the 360 had anything else in its software update, but Marshmallow itself doesn't improve battery without hurting functionality.

Noema

Marshmallow just makes it less useful. It dozes so you get less notifications if it doesn't activate enough. Hilariously, Android Wear now even pops up a warning saying "Yo, shall we turn off those battery optimisations so you actually get notifications?"

That's... I have no words.

MarkusRJR

Does anyone know how to disable my Google account's calendar from showing up on my G4's default calendar app? I use Outlook for calendar and I keep getting duplicate holiday notifications from Gmail/Google Account. I've unchecked the sync option for my Google account's calendar in the calendar app, but the events are still there. :/

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. I'm dumb. D:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Don't get it. It was old when it launched and it's even worse today.

Aiii

So not worth it
This could be the year of the Pixel phone. Specially how now that N (preview) is out the Pixel C seems to be a very useful device.

There was that rumor about HTC being the Nexus partner for the next two years. But who knows. I really really wish Google stop pussy footing around and just make their own phones already.

Yeah I've heard those rumors, no stock Android could ever move me to buy another HTC product, so I hope that's not true.

After the Nexus 9, I wonder if Google would want that, as well.

Yeah I've heard those rumors, no stock Android could ever move me to buy another HTC product, so I hope that's not true.

Agreed. I would love to upgrade to a new Nexus to replace my Nexus 6, but I'll skip thus year if HTC makes it. If the rumors of a multi-year contract are true, that's just awful.

There's been more than enough talk about Google not only designing their own CPUs but also taking complete control of the Nexus program. I see less reason to worry about it now as HTC will probably not have any choice/freedom when building the Nexus devices.

Aiii

So not worth it
That won't do any good for their production quality, which is the reason I do not want a HTC product. I made that mistake twice and it cost me a lot of money. Never again.

clav

Do any of these reviews ever point out LTE band differences between USA carriers on branded phones?

I have yet to read a review that mentions this problem.

I thought these writers were into tech. What happened?

That won't do any good for their production quality, which is the reason I do not want a HTC product. I made that mistake twice and it cost me a lot of money. Never again.

How do you know it won't help production? Google may be sending employees overseas to watch the factory lines for all we know.

Also the shitty build quality of the Nexus 9 was mentioned in the reviews so you burned yourself. I did the same stupid move. This time I will wait before ordering for once. Problem solved.

Do any of these reviews ever point out LTE band differences between USA carriers on branded phones?

I have yet to read a review that mentions this problem.

I thought these writers were into tech. What happened?

Almost all Android fan sites are clueless. Droid life is OK but AP are the only ones that aren't ignorant fanboys. Totally agree that G5 reviews should be adding the unlocked model as a pro over S7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom