• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

Almost all Android fan sites are clueless. Droid life is OK but AP are the only ones that aren't ignorant fanboys. Totally agree that G5 reviews should be adding the unlocked model as a pro over S7.

People keep posting terrible journalism, so the more clicks they get, the worst these reviews are and will become.

Instead, we get "tech bloggers" who are just thinly disguised sales people who regurgitate marketing terms rather than analyze *gasp* technical details.

I enjoy teardowns that show the manufacturer + part described. Those photos + descriptions are the best.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Android Police is good. Though they've gone down. I prefer Arstechnica

RSBrowser updated - seems a bit more stable
But now I can't pull to swipe back or forward. And hitting the back button to close a new tab from a link I clicked shuts the entire browser down. Weak.

Also, my Sony Smartwatch 3 finally got the marshmallow update. Nice.

VanWinkle

Okay guys. I need help with something with my Zenwatch 2 I just got today.

I bought an app on my phone called Pujie Black (has some great faces on there, btw), and it shows the standby mode version of a clock face I like looking like this:

Screenshot_20160408_021832.png

However, when it actually goes into standby on my watch, it looks like this:

I see it get to that point in the first pictures for a TINY sliver of time and then it's like it goes a step further to just a monochromatic watch with no date.

What I'm wondering is, are there multiple levels of "always on"? Is there a way I can make it look like the top picture?

Dobsie

Finally caved and picked up a Nexus 6p. Anyone know where I can get USB 3.1 to USB type c cables?
Don't want to get dodgy ones that could damage the phone. UK based btw.

Aiii

So not worth it
How do you know it won't help production? Google may be sending employees overseas to watch the factory lines for all we know.

Also the shitty build quality of the Nexus 9 was mentioned in the reviews so you burned yourself. I did the same stupid move. This time I will wait before ordering for once. Problem solved.

Uhu, and I also burned myself when my HTC Universal magically broke it's screen in my pocket after 1,5 week of use.

And now I will no longer burn myself after giving them a chance after that, no more HTC for me.

co1onel

Finally caved and picked up a Nexus 6p. Anyone know where I can get USB 3.1 to USB type c cables?

Check Benson Leung's recommendations on amazon to see which ones are good. He's a google engineer on a mission to rid the world of bad usb-c cables.

tzare

Marshmallow just makes it less useful. It dozes so you get less notifications if it doesn't activate enough. Hilariously, Android Wear now even pops up a warning saying "Yo, shall we turn off those battery optimisations so you actually get notifications?"

That said, I don't know if the 360 had anything else in its software update, but Marshmallow itself doesn't improve battery without hurting functionality.

Don't get it. It was old when it launched and it's even worse today.

Thanks , will pass then. Been tempted to try a smartwatch and price was affordable. Should've bought LG G watch a while agowhen i found it at 99€ too.
Will wait until xiaomi shows their smartwatch then.

Other options would be Sony SW3, but screen seems to be really bad, and Zenwatch 2 but hard to find in Spain

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
SW3 screen is not at all bad. It's my favorite screen because it is always visible. It's really perfect for its purpose as an active watch. I prefer it over my GWR.

tzare

SW3 screen is not at all bad. It's my favorite screen because it is always visible. It's really perfect for its purpose as an active watch. I prefer it over my GWR.

how is battery life on it? a plus for the sony SW3 is the usb port for charging. I fucking hate dedicated ports.

Bboy AJ

how is battery life on it? a plus for the sony SW3 is the usb port for charging. I fucking hate dedicated ports.
Great. It can last two days. Not easily. But if you turn it off at night, it could. One day absolutely easy.

tzare

Great. It can last two days. Not easily. But if you turn it off at night, it could. One day absolutely easy.

as long as it lasts one day easy i am fine. Will try to see it in person how it looks. It costs 150€ but it is not that expensive

Murdoch

I can't answer that question I'm afriad but you do get two cables in the box. The main charger is USBC to USBC and a very small cable that is USB3.1 to USBC. That is; if you buy it from Google. Mixed results from buying from phone stores in the UK.

Dobsie

Check Benson Leung's recommendations on amazon to see which ones are good. He's a google engineer on a mission to rid the world of bad usb-c cables.

I can't answer that question I'm afriad but you do get two cables in the box. The main charger is USBC to USBC and a very small cable that is USB3.1 to USBC. That is; if you buy it from Google. Mixed results from buying from phone stores in the UK.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, have ordered one of the Anker powerline ones that Benson reccomends. Just been into my local Carphone Warehouse and they wanted £20 for a Belkin one! Most of the shops here didn't even know what type c was.

Bboy AJ

April update changed the screen color saturation for the better on the Nexus 6P.

What's your average on screen time? That's the only reservation I have vs the Galaxy s7.

3.5-4 hours. Nothing great or not bad either. It's about what you would expect on a 2800mah battery. I don't use the AOD feature though. Even if the battery were better I wouldn't use it as I have a Gear S2 for my notification needs.

Mindwipe

Ars only got gud when Ron left AP for Ars.

Pretty much, most of my Android news reading is Android Police or Ron's Ars stuff now.

I've been playing with my Pixel C for a few days, and running Android N. It's pretty sweet, obviously things to do in making the task switcher work better (it's not responsive enough now, and the idea to make the current window in the changer was stoopid) but it's far less broken than I thought it would be for a first preview.

That said even before the N upgrade I had to flush the system cache to get autobrightness to work. The Pixel C clearly still needs another round of firmware updates yet to get it up to par.

Has anyone ever got a Dual Shock 4 to work with the Pixel C? The state of it's USB connection drivers isn't clear to me from reading online, and I don't want to root this device in order to keep Sky Go working so I can't run it over Bluetooth.

It's a great comic reading machine though. Awesome. If Google kick out another one of these with free window mode enabled, a mouse trackpad on the keyboard and robust pen support that would be a really sweet machine...

Groof

having started playing kingdom hearts unchained on my 6p is the first time i'm noticing the 810 throttling so noticeably. it can start out smoother than a baby's butt but then after a while it just starts chugging for a bit. it's not by much, but enough to be noticed.

DagsJT

Pretty much, most of my Android news reading is Android Police or Ron's Ars stuff now.

I've been playing with my Pixel C for a few days, and running Android N. It's pretty sweet, obviously things to do in making the task switcher work better (it's not responsive enough now, and the idea to make the current window in the changer was stoopid) but it's far less broken than I thought it would be for a first preview.

That said even before the N upgrade I had to flush the system cache to get autobrightness to work. The Pixel C clearly still needs another round of firmware updates yet to get it up to par.

Has anyone ever got a Dual Shock 4 to work with the Pixel C? The state of it's USB connection drivers isn't clear to me from reading online, and I don't want to root this device in order to keep Sky Go working so I can't run it over Bluetooth.

It's a great comic reading machine though. Awesome. If Google kick out another one of these with free window mode enabled, a mouse trackpad on the keyboard and robust pen support that would be a really sweet machine...

Which comic app are you using? I've just got a Tab S2 9.7" and finding I prefer Challenger Comics Viewer over Perfect Viewer.

this_guy

3.5-4 hours. Nothing great or not bad either. It's about what you would expect on a 2800mah battery. I don't use the AOD feature though. Even if the battery were better I wouldn't use it as I have a Gear S2 for my notification needs.

That's not amazing battery life but good enough to get through the day. For reference I'm using a Moto X Pure and get about the same battery life and I'm happy. (to be more specific - I average 4-4.5 hours when I was on AT&T, and now I'm getting about 3.5 hours on T-Mobile).

That's not amazing battery life but good enough to get through the day. For reference I'm using a Moto X Pure and get about the same battery life and I'm happy. (to be more specific - I average 4-4.5 hours when I was on AT&T, and now I'm getting about 3.5 hours on T-Mobile).

I also have everything turned on such as Bluetooth and nfc. Also on LTE like 75% of the time.

reKon

Banned
This would never happen, but the Nexus 6P with the latest Exynos processor would be nuts. Maybe next time they go with a a Huawei Nexus, they'll try the Kirin processor?

This would never happen, but the Nexus 6P with the latest Exynos processor would be nuts. Maybe next time they go with a a Huawei Nexus, they'll try the Kirin processor?

I'm guessing if its not Qualcomm it's going to be a Google designed processor from here on out.

I'm really enjoying my G5 as well. The performance is so smooth, and I'm not having any real issues with it. As strange as it sounds, it's actually a bit satisfying detaching the module and popping it back into place. It's so quick, and I have yet to need to swap batteries since one has held up nicely, but damn it feels kind of good lol

Bboy AJ

on standard or sRGB?
I think just standard. I use sRGB and didn't notice anything. I only read about it. Cool how these monthly updates are actually user updates. I always thought they'd just be security patches.

I think just standard. I use sRGB and didn't notice anything. I only read about it. Cool how these monthly updates are actually user updates. I always thought they'd just be security patches.

It's pretty awesome how they sneak little tweaks into the "security updates". I hope they get a great N5 out this year. The N5X is getting really cheap here, but it still doesn't feel right yet.

It's pretty awesome how they sneak little tweaks into the "security updates". I hope they get a great N5 out this year. The N5X is getting really cheap here, but it still doesn't feel right yet.

It just goes to show how long previous critical fixes were getting put in the 3 - 6 month release bucket to go out with the next Android maintenance update. Thank God those days are over.

Esqueleto

Banned
Okay guys. I need help with something with my Zenwatch 2 I just got today.

I bought an app on my phone called Pujie Black (has some great faces on there, btw), and it shows the standby mode version of a clock face I like looking like this:

However, when it actually goes into standby on my watch, it looks like this:

I see it get to that point in the first pictures for a TINY sliver of time and then it's like it goes a step further to just a monochromatic watch with no date.

What I'm wondering is, are there multiple levels of "always on"? Is there a way I can make it look like the top picture?

That's low bit ambient mode. That limits the colors you can use to black, white, blue, red, magenta, green, cyan, and yellow.http://developer.android.com/design/wear/watchfaces.html#SpecialScreens

There's a setting in PB to turn it off.

Atomski

Complete phone noob here. What's the best bang for your buck these days? I'm kinda on a low budget but want something good. Prefer larger size as I have huge hands..

Halp me please

omg_mjd

Complete phone noob here. What's the best bang for your buck these days? I'm kinda on a low budget but want something good. Prefer larger size as I have huge hands..

Halp me please

LG G4? It's last year's flagship so it's relatively cheap but with good specs. Camera is amazing and while the screen is 5.5" I find it to be easy to handle. Has a removable battery and a microSD slot. I just got one recently and I'm liking it a lot.

Halp me please

Moto X Pure - $350-$400
LG G4 - $300
Honor 5X - $200
One Plus 2 -$350
Nexus 5X - $200-$250

I think those would be the best bang for your buck. They are all 5.5 or bigger except for the Nexus 5X.

LG G4? It's last year's flagship so it's relatively cheap but with good specs. Camera is amazing and while the screen is 5.5" I find it to be easy to handle. Has a removable battery and a microSD slot. I just got one recently and I'm liking it a lot.

Isn't the battery life shit?

linkboy

Halp me please

The Nexus 6 can be picked up pretty cheaply and is still a good phone.

I got mine in Sept and I've got no complaints with it.

The 5x is pretty cheap as well.

omg_mjd

Isn't the battery life shit?

Stand-by time is flawless (leave it overnight and it still has 100% the next day) but playing games seems to kill the battery quickly. Granted, I'm comparing this to my Vita and my New 3DS XL since I've never really used my previous phones this much before.

For light tasks (checking email, listening to podcasts, browsing gaf, streaming video) it doesn't seem much worse than my older phones.

Halp me please
Saying "Kinda on a low budget" doesn't help much if you don't say what your budget is. If you can spend $300 or less I'd get a Nexus 5X from the Project Fi deal.

Joe

Is it possible to get a random battery vampire?

My phone battery has been draining quick lately. I got a brand new battery and it's the same thing.

I'm running vanilla 4.4.2

Is there an app I can download that scans for possibilities?

Post your battery stats. I assume you're getting really bad idle battery drain?

Thanks, never knew that existed.

Are those lifetime stats or recent stats? My wifi has been off for a while even since I last fully charged my phone.

That's monstrously bad cell / wifi battery drain.

How's your cell reception at home?

Do you live in a dorm? Why has your wifi been off? Is it usually off when you're at home / work?

What phone do you have? Why are you still on 4.4.2?

Those are your stats since your last full charge.

Tap on "xhym on battery" so we can see more stats.

Thanks for the response.

• My reception at home is great, at work it's just ok.
  • My wifi and data are almost always on, that particular weekend it was off because I was on a vacation and at a hotel.
  • Turning wifi or data off for periods of time really doesn't help the battery drain.
  • I have a Blu Studio X Plus. I'm still on 4.4.2 because the upgrade to Lollipop isn't great for this phone (in terms of responsiveness).''
  • The bad battery drain is something new. For a long while the battery was pretty great. I replaced the battery with a brand new battery but I am still getting noticeably bad battery drain.
My usage hasn't changed and has me wondering if its possible an app is draining the battery behind the scenes.

reKon

Banned
Moto X Pure - $350-$400
LG G4 - $300
Honor 5X - $200
One Plus 2 -$350
Nexus 5X - $200-$250

I think those would be the best bang for your buck. They are all 5.5 or bigger except for the Nexus 5X.

Damn Blu getting the shaft here. At least throw the moto G on there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom