• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone notice Nexus 5x/6p having worse idle battery since the recent March performance update?

I'm starting to think part if the reason Google was able to fix the bad performance was by cranking up the clock at idle which is costing precious idle battery life.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

HawkeyeIC

Anyone notice Nexus 5x/6p having worse idle battery since the recent March performance update?

I'm starting to think part if the reason Google was able to fix the bad performance was by cranking up the clock at idle which is costing precious idle battery life.

I havent measured itnor anything, but I haven't noticed a dropoff on general day to day use on my 6p. Still make it through most days without a problem.

I havent measured itnor anything, but I haven't noticed a dropoff on general day to day use on my 6p. Still make it through most days without a problem.

My 5x is struggling to make it through a day now. I noticed it will lose 10 percent overnight and that's after trying factory reset/safe mode.

Getting the better performance is worth it but hopefully they can sort battery back out. Idle was fantastic before.

Aiii

So not worth it
My 6P is fine, in fact I kept it mostly in doze for three days with a half day to spare before charging over last weekend.

Final thoughts after a week of using my G5:

• My unit's build quality has no issues. No gap on the bottom and no dents on anything.
  • Battery is average. Getting around 3.5 to 4 hours SOT on regular use. This is with everything such as Bluetooth and Wifi on.
  • External speaker is loud and clear. Not HTC clear, but it's clearer than the GS6.
  • This thing charges fast. QC 2.0 or 3.0 it charges incredibly fast.
  • Fingerprint reader is godlike. It won't trigger in your pocket accidently.
  • Audio is great rhoug hte port or through bluetooth. I doubt anyone outside of hardcore audiophiles will even need the B&O DAC.
  • The main camera is good. Haven't used the wide angle camera, but I'm sure it is fine for what it does.
  • Screen is incredibly bright and not too saturated. The auto brightness kind of sucks.
  • USB-C is awesome. I picked up a few cables to replace my micro USB cords for cheap.
  • It whas an IR blaster for people who care. I don't.
  • The software is actually very nice because it's very simple looking. I slapped Nova on and I will never have to worry about the lack of app drawer. The settings and notification panel are clean and not intrusive. Only bummer is the LG stock icons look bad.
  • The curve on the top of the earpiece is weird. Why?
  • Some bluetooth devices will show their battery rating on the notification on the top. Really enjoying that.
  • Call quality is incredibly care although part of that may be because of T-Mo and their EVS.
  • The phone feels weird, but more of a I haven't ever felt this on a phone kind of feel. The closest thing I can compare it to is the feeling of a car.

I'm liking it alot more than I expected after the reviews came out bashing it. I think most of how people are so down are on it is because everyone is comparing the GS7 to it.

I hope I get my battery and 360 cam soon.

NomarTyme

Final thoughts after a week of using my G5:

• My unit's build quality has no issues. No gap on the bottom and no dents on anything.
  • Battery is average. Getting around 3.5 to 4 hours SOT on regular use. This is with everything such as Bluetooth and Wifi on.
  • External speaker is loud and clear. Not HTC clear, but it's clearer than the GS6.
  • This thing charges fast. QC 2.0 or 3.0 it charges incredibly fast.
  • Fingerprint reader is godlike. It won't trigger in your pocket accidently.
  • Audio is great rhoug hte port or through bluetooth. I doubt anyone outside of hardcore audiophiles will even need the B&O DAC.
  • The main camera is good. Haven't used the wide angle camera, but I'm sure it is fine for what it does.
  • Screen is incredibly bright and not too saturated. The auto brightness kind of sucks.
  • USB-C is awesome. I picked up a few cables to replace my micro USB cords for cheap.
  • It whas an IR blaster for people who care. I don't.
  • The software is actually very nice because it's very simple looking. I slapped Nova on and I will never have to worry about the lack of app drawer. The settings and notification panel are clean and not intrusive. Only bummer is the LG stock icons look bad.
  • The curve on the top of the earpiece is weird. Why?
  • Some bluetooth devices will show their battery rating on the notification on the top. Really enjoying that.
  • Call quality is incredibly care although part of that may be because of T-Mo and their EVS.
  • The phone feels weird, but more of a I haven't ever felt this on a phone kind of feel. The closest thing I can compare it to is the feeling of a car.

I'm liking it alot more than I expected after the reviews came out bashing it. I think most of how people are so down are on it is because everyone is comparing the GS7 to it.

I hope I get my battery and 360 cam soon.

Thanks for your input! I really want this phone or the edge! I still can't decide!

Just finished watching MobileTechReview review and man did LG screw up on QA/QC.

I've skimmed around and I'm pretty sure I've already got my answer, but is the Xperia Z5 Compact still the only decent small Android phone around? Is anything on the way?

I'm replacing an iPhone 5 and have next to zero interest in the SE, so this really seems to be the only solid alternative.

I've yet to find any larger phones to be comfortable, but I wouldn't be opposed to demoing some alternatives.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Nah, I'm good.

Pretty much all problems I have had are fixed as of the April update sans randomly WiFi won't connect unless I put it in airplane mode for 1 second then turn it off

Thanks for your input! I really want this phone or the edge! I still can't decide!

Just finished watching MobileTechReview review and man did LG screw up on QA/QC.
Honestly, it feels like some sort of alternate universe when I watch a review of the G5. I've had one since launch, and know three other people with the device, and I haven't seen a single one of the issues that has been repeatedly shown. Maybe it's just a case of drawing the lucky number, because I've been trying to find a reason to take this thing back and can't. A friend of mine has the S7 and we did an amateur test, and though it wasn't a thorough test from fresh units, the G5 did nearly everything slightly faster.

What in the hell is going on with the review units? One I saw had a module detach button literally looked like it was from a different model it was so badly shaped lol

BroBot

So I really wanted to purchase a G4 (Not interested in G5), but after reading a LOT online about the sudden Bootloop problems, I don't want to risk it. Currently looking into a Moto X Pure. Is the screen as good as the G4's?

Yep. Noticed this as well, there's a good 10%-15% drop in battery.

Not sure what benefit I got with the loss of battery life.

reKon

Banned
I still use Falcon widget, LOL! I'm sure by now there's a good twitter widget that lets you choose a transparent/translucent style on the homescreen...

Could anyone link me?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I still use Falcon widget, LOL! I'm sure by now there's a good twitter widget that lets you choose a transparent/translucent style on the homescreen...

Could anyone link me?
Fenix.

reKon

Banned

Thanks. I played around with it and liked the app and the widget was fine, but I didn't like the red line around the top area of the widget. I also just checked out Talon and preferred the widget on there so I ended up keep that one. Both apps seem to be very similar - looks good and very smooth performance.

Bboy AJ

Fleksy themes are currently free. I suspect temporarily. The latest update is much faster. The app, like most others, grew bloated. It is now back to being goat keyboard.

It also has a new prediction extension, similar to SwiftKey.

Noema

Arstechnica LG G5 review

Ron Amadeo said:
The Good

A removable battery!
One of the rare flagships with support for Google's always-on voice commands.
USB Type-C makes this phone ready for the future.
Snapdragon 820 has good performance and the phone's battery life is acceptable if not exceptional.
A decent camera.

The Bad

The bottom release mechanism just isn't good enough. It holds the bottom part on unevenly, and on one side is so loose you can see through it
LG carved an awful groove around the back of the phone, and the edges are pretty sharp.
A microSD card, great! But LG killed Android 6.0's adoptable storage. Boo.

The Ugly

The totally unrefined build quality. I really want to be left alone in a room for a bit with the G5, a piece of sandpaper, and some glue.

ouch

Our review unit fails to meet really basic manufacturing and engineering standards. Exposed edges in commonly-touched places are so sharp that they're uncomfortable. Components don't line up correctly, the backlight isn't even, and in general it feels more like a rushed engineering prototype than a polished, finished product.

lol Ron taking potshots

You can also rearrange the navigation buttons, so if you prefer the "Samsung order" with the back button on the right, you can do that.

data

I spilled a milkshake on my Moto X Play and some of it got in the audio jack, now my phone thinks headphones are plugged in the whole time. I tried sucking the headphone jack, cleaning it, restarting, etc. My speaker still works since notifications and my alarm still play.
Does anyone know how I could fix this without having to resort to an app? Plugging headphones in works without issue so the headphone jack isn't broken

Hasney

Time for HTC to rectify their recent past.

youre_serious_futurama.gif

I spilled a milkshake on my Moto X Play and some of it got in the audio jack, now my phone thinks headphones are plugged in the whole time. I tried sucking the headphone jack, cleaning it, restarting, etc. My speaker still works since notifications and my alarm still play.
Does anyone know how I could fix this without having to resort to an app? Plugging headphones in works without issue so the headphone jack isn't broken

maybe one of thoze non-conductive cleaning solutions?

No Love

Banned

try thishttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dwalkes.android.toggleheadset2&hl=en

jokkir

This battery is top

Mostly all on 3G and WiFi while in the office.

I feel like I could reach 7hr+ on screen by fixing random drains. Anyone know how to fix the WiFi drain, cell standby drain and I'm getting bluetooth drain now as well.

wilflare

This battery is top

Mostly all on 3G and WiFi while in the office.

I feel like I could reach 7hr+ on screen by fixing random drains. Anyone know how to fix the WiFi drain, cell standby drain and I'm getting bluetooth drain now as well.

is that the 6P?

Dip a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and jam it in there and turn it like you're turning a screwdriver until it works again?

I'm looking to get a new phone to replace my Lumia 520, and I'm not really liking the look of the 550 and 650, so I'm kinda curious about going back to Android.

The last Android I had was the Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman, which was alright, but I'm guessing Android had gotten a lot better since then. I'm only looking for a budget phone (definitely under £200), but I want something that's reliable and performs well. I've been looking at the Honor 5x, which seems to be one of the best I could get at this price range, but is there anything better?

Bboy AJ

I wish someone would release a new HP Veer. But with modern hardware and Android. I loved mine so much. It was awesome. Great complement to a big phone. When portability was more important, I grabbed it instead of my Galaxy Nexus.

Oni Jazar

My Z3C finally got updated to Marshmallow. Feels snappy and I like the new highlight / copy / cut / paste feature better than before. Time will tell if Doze is better than the Sony Stamina mode, though I hear stamina will be coming back.

Reckoner

I wish someone would release a new HP Veer. But with modern hardware and Android. I loved mine so much. It was awesome. Great complement to a big phone. When portability was more important, I grabbed it instead of my Galaxy Nexus.

WebOS was the GOAT OS in terms of aesthetics and design. It was so ahead of its time that you can still see its influence in new iOS and Android iterations. I wish that Palm got a bit of success with the Palm Pre.

Exis

This device always was a curiosity to me.
Closest I got was a Sony mini phone I got while in Europe a couple of years ago that was small enough to be a banger but still powerful enough to be useful.

Blackhead

Redarse
WebOS was the GOAT OS in terms of aesthetics and design. It was so ahead of its time that you can still see its influence in new iOS and Android iterations. I wish that Palm got a bit of success with the Palm Pre.
Yeah, I still love my webOS devices and prefer them even to recent versions of iOS and Android
Or Pixi
either style would do for me. I've been waiting for Blackberry's second Android handset (BlackBerry CEO John Chen reiterates plans to launch two mid-range Android phones —"two new two mid-range Android phones later in 2016. One with a physical keyboard"). Priv is the right idea but larger than I need. Just hope Blackberry doesn't fuck it up the release and support.

Yeah, I still love my webOS devices and prefer them even to recent versions of iOS and Android

Or Pixi

either style would do for me. I've been waiting for Blackberry's second Android handset (BlackBerry CEO John Chen reiterates plans to launch two mid-range Android phones —"two new two mid-range Android phones later in 2016. One with a physical keyboard"). Priv is the right idea but larger than I need. Just hope Blackberry doesn't fuck it up the release and support.

Did they ship the Marshmallow update to the Priv yet?

Help me GAF longtime iPhone user looking to jump into Android. I'm on a sim only plan so not looking to spend a fortune. I'm down to the Oneplus 2 (£249) or a Nexus 6 64gb (£265).

Ive had a read up and the Nexus seems to edge it (more so for me because it will get official updates), but is freakin big. The Nexus deal is a shop spoiled item (brand new but damaged box etc) so I won't get the chance again, will I regret it?

Nexus 6 will be 2 years old while the OP 2 is 1 year old. I'm not a big fan of the N6's size, but I'm not a big fan of OP period. I say get the N6 if you don't mind the size and the older hardware. Get the OP is you don't mind 0 customer service and a meh phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom