• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nexus 6 will be 2 years old while the OP 2 is 1 year old. I'm not a big fan of the N6's size, but I'm not a big fan of OP period. I say get the N6 if you don't mind the size and the older hardware. Get the OP is you don't mind 0 customer service and a meh phone.

Help me GAF longtime iPhone user looking to jump into Android. I'm on a sim only plan so not looking to spend a fortune. I'm down to the Oneplus 2 (£249) or a Nexus 6 64gb (£265).

Ive had a read up and the Nexus seems to edge it (more so for me because it will get official updates), but is freakin big. The Nexus deal is a shop spoiled item (brand new but damaged box etc) so I won't get the chance again, will I regret it?

How much is the Nexus 5X in the UK? If you can swing that I'd say get that over either phone.

Hasney

Help me GAF longtime iPhone user looking to jump into Android. I'm on a sim only plan so not looking to spend a fortune. I'm down to the Oneplus 2 (£249) or a Nexus 6 64gb (£265).

Ive had a read up and the Nexus seems to edge it (more so for me because it will get official updates), but is freakin big. The Nexus deal is a shop spoiled item (brand new but damaged box etc) so I won't get the chance again, will I regret it?

Any chance you can get your hands on a Nexus 6? I mean, I love mine, but it's not for everyone with the size.

Still, I'd recommend a Nokia 3310 over a OnePlus just in case anything ever goes wrong and you have to deal with them.

How much is the Nexus 5X in the UK? If you can swing that I'd say get that over either phone.

Good call actually. Amazon warehouse has them for £232.67 and New fufilled by Amazon for £260.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016B7INC2/

3phemeral

I spilled a milkshake on my Moto X Play and some of it got in the audio jack, now my phone thinks headphones are plugged in the whole time. I tried sucking the headphone jack, cleaning it, restarting, etc. My speaker still works since notifications and my alarm still play.
Does anyone know how I could fix this without having to resort to an app? Plugging headphones in works without issue so the headphone jack isn't broken

I had a similar problem with my Galaxy Nexus years back, only the headphone jack got borked when I connected it to a sound system and it never corrected itself for some reason. Was never the same after that but I found this app, Sound About, which allowed me to control where the audio would output to.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Guess I'll pull out my 32GB Nexus 10 and install Remix OS on it. Unless someone wants to buy it from me, complete in box.

VoxPop

Haven't been keeping up with the mobile realm much (if at all) but I love the direction they went with the G5. Hoping this modular stuff becomes the norm over time. What's the latest and greatest Android right now? Hoping the answer isn't the GS7E.

Hasney

Haven't been keeping up with the mobile realm much (if at all) but I love the direction they went with the G5. Hoping this modular stuff becomes the norm over time. What's the latest and greatest Android right now? Hoping the answer isn't the GS7E.

Either the S7E or 6P still. Sounds like the G5 has some rough inconsistencies in build quality.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true!

3phemeral

Man, the Marshmallow update has been loads better for the Galaxy S6. Making customizations in Nova Launcher is now instantaneous, whereas creating folders/widgets/tabs would lag for a few to several seconds. Switching between apps is also near instantaneous as sometimes it'd lag a bit before drawing up the recent apps list. Seems memory management is better since while playing a game, I can go into a few other apps and return to it without having it full refresh. Prior to that, I could simply navigate through the recent apps menu and then had back into the game and it'd restart.

kharma45

It is.

Going off of what Android Authority is reporting it sounds like LG won't be selling the B&O DAC in the US or maybe not at all. They've removed it from the "Friend" page and supposedly it won't be sold in the US, Canada, Korea, and Puerto Rico.

Not to sure how convenient a modular smartphone is if there is only one add on (The Camera Grip) available for it.

Going off of what Android Authority is reporting it sounds like LG won't be selling the B&O DAC in the US or maybe not at all. They've removed it from the "Friend" page and supposedly it won't be sold in the US, Canada, Korea, and Puerto Rico.

Not to sure how convenient a modular smartphone is if there is only one add on (The Camera Grip) available for it.

Not to mention if the modules are even going to be compatible with the next phone. The answer is most likely "no", but considering the price they're asking for them, it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Hasney

Maybe they'll bring out a flashlight? Think of the convenience!

Jigolo

Xperia C6 is the GOAT front design. Needs to be symmetrical with the top and bottom bezels though and slim them up a tad. Also add speakers.

Furyous

Xperia Z5 is the greatest right now. Yeah, I said it.

Fingerprint sensor on the side
Substantially cheaper cost for the consumer
Sufficient PPI for most people
Camera is one of the best from last year
Sony encouraged/supported AOSP community and Stock android beta program
microsd support

microsd support

Fingerprint reader is not in the US model

John Blade

Just wondering if anyone here are using the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 pro as I am interested in this phone mostly for what you're getting for a reasonable price. Just want to know how is the update with android and if they is any issue I need to know if it will affect my decision of buying this phone.

Reckoner

microsd support

I used to say the same.

I ended up with a 6S and now a 6P. Sony doesn't bring confidence support-wise right now, sadly.

I used to say the same.

I ended up with a 6S and now a 6P. Sony doesn't bring confidence support-wise right now, sadly.

Sony couldnt get their phones in US carriers enough (see Sonys history with Verizon). US carriers are killing smart phone profits which is in turn killing smart phones.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
whenever sRGB mode turns off on my 6p for whatever reason i think i get a minor heart attack
I switched back to non-sRGB after reading your post, for the first time since... Ever. I went temporarily blind.

I minute-one'd sRGB my phone when it arrived. Good decision.

reKon

Banned
holy shit, I my Xperia Z3 Compact received the Marshmallow update and it's now a speed demon. It's one of the fastest devices I've used in terms of OS navigation. It easily beats my S7 lol.

My S7 Edge got an update earlier today and it seems to have fucked up my SD card, the camera app won't write pictures to it. Any suggestions without having to format the card??

Everyone returns to Samsung eventually. Because Samsung loves you. Why won't you love Samsung back?

longdi

Banned
holy shit, I my Xperia Z3 Compact received the Marshmallow update and it's now a speed demon. It's one of the fastest devices I've used in terms of OS navigation. It easily beats my S7 lol.

Not surprising, my z2 5.1.1 already edged out s7e on apps switching. Which dont make sense as the raw numbers of s7e disk drive way faster

tzare

a friend is considering an upgrade from his old galaxy s2. He is looking for a phone below 300€ that has a sizeable battery, fingerprint scanner and NFC (to use it to pay) . And if possible FM radio.

Nexus 5X is an option, no FM though
Honor 7, Huawei p9 Lite (still no price or release date), BQ X5+....

any other options?

Decent cpu, low res screen, no encryption, 32 bit rom.

Makes sense.

longdi

Banned
Can you change the animation speed in the developer settings on the S7?

Yap already changed both to 0.5x but i must state I don't find s7e in any way laggy. In fact I feel s7e maintains a higher and smoother frame rates when apps scrolling and switching.

Just that z2 apps pops out faster, just by a split second.

Hasney

HTC 10 impressions seem to be rolling out now

Seems to have the feature bases covered, although I'm not sure how much better 24 bit audio recording would be through a phone mic. Still can't believe they axed the front speakers.

Were HTC using LCD over AMOLED in their last phone? Can't remember.

The HTC 10 looks pretty good, but if I was interested in spending $700 for a phone I do not think I'd get it over the Galaxy S7 though. Will definitely have to wait until full reviews before that is clear, but given HTC's past I feel like the S7 will still have the better camera, and you'll also have things like wireless charging, and waterproofing.

That being said I will gladly buy it as a Nexus in 6-7 months.

Yeah, UK price is stupid again too. More expensive than an S7.

Same battery capacity as the S7, no waterproofing and no wireless charging either. OS updates aren't quicker on there either. Others might prefer the USB C port and the lack of a glass back. But for me, there's no real reason why I'd pick up the 10 over the S7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom