• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kami_sama

All I actually want is a better battery. I'm pretty sure they won't deliver - there is a better battery inside but the slightly bigger screen will probably use up all the extra juice :(

You can't compare the screen tech now with the one two years ago. The X Style/Pure has a 1440p 5.7" lcd screen, and it has better battery than the LG G3, with a 5.5" one.
I would wait for reviews, but right now I'm neutral about the battery, the storage is what concerns me.

Ty4on

You can't compare the screen tech now with the one two years ago. The X Style/Pure has a 1440p 5.7" lcd screen, and it has better battery than the LG G3, with a 5.5" one.
I would wait for reviews, but right now I'm neutral about the battery, the storage is what concerns me.
This isn't reported a lot, but the G4 has self refresh so when the screen is static the GPU can shut off while the LCD refreshes itself. I don't think it's present in the Moto X 15, but it could have become a standard by now as the G2 also had it.

kami_sama

This isn't reported a lot, but the G4 has self refresh so when the screen is static the GPU can shut off while the LCD refreshes itself. I don't think it's present in the Moto X 15, but it could have become a standard by now as the G2 also had it.

Something akin g-sync or free-sync? Interesting. Thing is that pixels lose their memory after some time. You can drop the refresh rate a lot, but it cannot be zero as in e-ink displays.

Just dropping in to say I already returned my Moto X Pure after 2 days. Horrible phone. Gets extremely hot, bad performance, and a battery that lasted me barely 5 hours at work. Maybe I got a bad unit, but it seems others are reporting the same issues.
If this is a wide spread issue, my friend will be pissed. Good thing I didn't preorder it.

Where? I just googled 'Moto X Pure review', opened about a dozen reviews (from not-shit websites) in new tabs, skimmed through them all, and couldn't find anyone echoing your sentiments.
I think it was android central that got one and it was defective out of the box lol.

The one I tried DEFINITELY had visible problems but again it might have been a bad unit. Not sure.

All I actually want is a better battery. I'm pretty sure they won't deliver - there is a better battery inside but the slightly bigger screen will probably use up all the extra juice :(
.2 inches isn't that big a bump to cover a ~400mah battery jump. If the screen is efficient and the OS is optimized that battery should be a good improvement over the OG N5. I guess we'll see.

Just dropping in to say I already returned my Moto X Pure after 2 days. Horrible phone. Gets extremely hot, bad performance, and a battery that lasted me barely 5 hours at work. Maybe I got a bad unit, but it seems others are reporting the same issues.

Sounds like a bad unit, I've seen none of those complaints.

Salex_

So much hype behind the Nexus. I hope it's justified when they finally announce it. If I read the Amazon return policy correctly, it looks like I have 30 days to return my Moto X Pure. Loving this phone so far, but if the Nexus ends up being better, I'll return this and get the Nexus.

Sounds like a bad unit. I've had mine since Sep 10th and I don't have any of those problems. The phone was pretty warm on day 1 while I was downloading & installing a ton of apps, but it's fine now. I haven't had any performance issues either.

gcubed

Exactly. I'm looking to condense two devices into one (just sold my nexus 7 yesterday) which is why I'm looking at the nexus 6 or the Moto X.

The Huwai nexus just doesn't interest me.

It depends on the price. The screen on the current n6 is... Subpar to say the least. A nicer screen combined with a fingerprint scanner, a slightly smaller and thinner footprint, metal construction and hopefully faster memory would be enough to make me consider it.

I also really want to see that shitty hump and see how bad it is

Sounds like a bad unit, I've seen none of those complaints.

So much hype behind the Nexus. I hope it's justified when they finally announce it. If I read the Amazon return policy correctly, it looks like I have 30 days to return my Moto X Pure. Loving this phone so far, but if the Nexus ends up being better, I'll return this and get the Nexus.

Sounds like a bad unit. I've had mine since Sep 10th and I don't have any of those problems. The phone was pretty warm on day 1 while I was downloading & installing a ton of apps, but it's fine now. I haven't had any performance issues either.

You do have 30 days from the day the unit arrives to ship it back to Amazon.

Maybe it was a bad unit. I also didn't like the screen on it. It had a yellow tint I wasn't a fan of. I'm not going to order another to find out if it was a bad unit or not. I'll just wait for the Huawei Nexus announcement. My OPO is still rocking fine.

HawkeyeIC

You do have 30 days from the day the unit arrives to ship it back to Amazon.

Maybe it was a bad unit. I also didn't like the screen on it. It had a yellow tint I wasn't a fan of. I'm not going to order another to find out if it was a bad unit or not. I'll just wait for the Huawei Nexus announcement. My OPO is still rocking fine.

I thought you were done here?

Noema

I need something to replace my 1st Gen Moto G and I'm disappointed to hear that the X Play has performance issues. I'm hoping Anandtech or Erika Griffin do an in depth review but they probably won't since the phone won't be released in the States. I can get a 2nd Gen Moto X for about the same cost as a Play, but the awful battery life and camera on that one aren't encouraging.

Guess I'll be getting a ZenFone 2 after all. Apparently ASUS has been very diligent when it comes to updates so that's encouraging.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Simple problem:

I am able to watch live NFL games via comcast.net by streaming them to my PC.

I am able to trick Comcast.net into thinking my Galaxy Tab is a PC with the Dolphin browser "identify as" feature.

But the Flash version isn't current enough to actually stream the content so I get the Flash version error.

I am THIS close to solving a TV-in-Kitchen problem for free, with no wires. Anyone any idea how to either upgrade the Flash version, or recommend another (browser?) solution?

And apologies for resurrecting OT5 - it showed up as my top search result but also the Huawei title made me think phones only.

I need something to replace my 1st Gen Moto G and I'm disappointed to hear that the X Play has performance issues. I'm hoping Anandtech or Erika Griffin do an in depth review but they probably won't since the phone won't be released in the States. I can get a 2nd Gen Moto X for about the same cost as a Play, but the awful battery life and camera on that one aren't encouraging.

Guess I'll be getting a ZenFone 2 after all. Apparently ASUS has been very diligent when it comes to updates so that's encouraging.
nexus 5-2? 3rd gen moto g?

Noema

nexus 5-2? 3rd gen moto g?

3rd Gen Moto G is over priced for what it is, IMO. ZenFone 2 is cheaper and blows it out of the water in every category outside battery.

I guess I could wait and see regarding the Nexus. Biggest issue for me is I don't live in the US so pricing, availability and shipping are always an issue.

3rd Gen Moto G is over priced for what it is, IMO.

I guess I could wait and see regarding the Nexus. Biggest issue for me is I don't live in the US so pricing, availability and shipping are always an issue.

Lol what? It performs better than the X Play in every way.

kinggroin

Banned
It depends on the price. The screen on the current n6 is... Subpar to say the least. A nicer screen combined with a fingerprint scanner, a slightly smaller and thinner footprint, metal construction and hopefully faster memory would be enough to make me consider it.

I also really want to see that shitty hump and see how bad it is

You're asking too much. Hitting those bulletpoints means it'll have to be $429 at 16GB

No Love

Banned

I think the Zenfone 2 is the best choice overall. I'll be ordering a couple here soon for mom and bro. For the cost, it's a no-brainer.

Noema

You do realize the 615 is a PoS right?

I hear it's disappointing but I didn't expect it to be so bad to be outperformed by a low end SoC.

Do you have any benchmarks?

I think the Zenfone 2 is the best choice overall. I'll be ordering a couple here soon for mom and bro. For the cost, it's a no-brainer.

That's what I'm thinking. My only concern is battery and the skin ASUS uses since I like stock Android. Other than that the phone's símply stellar for the price.

I hear it's disappointing but I didn't expect it to be so bad to be outperformed by a low end SoC.

The X Play is a laggy mess. Sure they can fix it in the future, but I wouldn't touch that shit if they were selling it at the Moto G's price. The G is smooth and good battery life. Only downside is no NFC.

No Love

Banned

Do you have any benchmarks?

That's what I'm thinking. My only concern is battery and the skin ASUS uses since I like stock Android. Other than that the phone's símply stellar for the price.

Someone else in this thread posted the latest Zenphone 2 update removed the bloatware and doubled his battery life.

Noema

Uhhhh I don't think the update removes the bloatware.

It probably doesn't. From what I've read it lets the user disable Apps in a way similar to Greenify.

Still, it's encouraging to see ASUS supporting their devices, specially if they did fix or at least diminish the battery drain. Hopefully the phones will eventually be updated to Marshmallow and it won't take forever.

gcubed

You're asking too much. Hitting those bulletpoints means it'll have to be $429 at 16GB

My lofty expectations are $450.

We already know it's all of that except the quality of the screen and memory quality. Hopefully they ditch oled like the sloppy mess that is.

VanWinkle

Quick question guys. I have the Verizon LG G3 and ever since I put Lollipop on it, the battery life halved or worse, and the phone got way more sluggish. I've lived with it for a few months but I think I want to try resetting it and see if that will help.

My question is, do I select "factory data reset" in settings to do that? And, if so, is it still going to keep the most up to date firmware, or will it revert to the firmware the phone came with?

Quick question guys. I have the Verizon LG G3 and ever since I put Lollipop on it, the battery life halved or worse, and the phone got way more sluggish. I've lived with it for a few months but I think I want to try resetting it and see if that will help.

My question is, do I select "factory data reset" in settings to do that? And, if so, is it still going to keep the most up to date firmware, or will it revert to the firmware the phone came with?
yes and it will keep the same version of everything

giga

My lofty expectations are $450.

We already know it's all of that except the quality of the screen and memory quality. Hopefully they ditch oled like the sloppy mess that is.
How can Samsung produce good oled screens and LG can't?

Aren't the POLEDs that LG uses very good? Not sure why they don't use it on their phones. I believe they used it on their FLex 2, but no one cares about that phone.

SD410 outperforms the SD615?

SD805 outperforms SD810 because the SD810 throttles almost right away, the SD805 keeps trucking along even under heavy loads.

In general the 2015 Snapdragon line is pretty bad, I still don't get why everyone got spooked by Apple moving to 64-bit and tried to race to 64-bit too even though Apple is running 64-bit on a fucking dual-core SoC and they have a much more lenient power envelope to play with than most Android SoCs which are quad-core at least. In general the point of going 64-bit is to gain larger memory addressing but the iPhone still only has 1 GB of RAM so Apple basically trolled Qualcomm and they just ate it up and shit out the 2015 SD SoCs.

Aren't the POLEDs that LG uses very good? Not sure why they don't use it on their phones. I believe they used it on their FLex 2, but no one cares about that phone.
that's what the nexus 5-2 supposedly uses right? Then again that might have been mentioned in the leak that is already confirmed fake. Can't remember.

How can Samsung produce good oled screens and LG can't?

Samsung has like a 5 year lead on phone OLEDs over LG. They were putting Super AMOLED in the Galaxy S II.

The LG P-OLED (Plastic OLED) technology is very interesting though, by using plastic instead of glass as the substrate, the OLED panel can be thinner and flexible. Your dream of a bendable TV can be made possible with P-OLED. Not that anyone has ever dreamed of that, but who cares, LG is going to make it a reality anyways. Actuallly P-OLED is going to be great for wearables like smartwatches because the screen can be thinner and more durable at the same time. Judging from the ass-kicking my Fitbit takes just being on my wrist and colliding with random stuff, this is a good thing.

gcubed

SD805 outperforms SD810 because the SD810 throttles almost right away, the SD805 keeps trucking along even under heavy loads.

In general the 2015 Snapdragon line is pretty bad, I still don't get why everyone got spooked by Apple moving to 64-bit and tried to race to 64-bit too even though Apple is running 64-bit on a fucking dual-core SoC and they have a much more lenient power envelope to play with than most Android SoCs which are quad-core at least. In general the point of going 64-bit is to gain larger memory addressing but the iPhone still only has 1 GB of RAM so Apple basically trolled Qualcomm and they just ate it up and shit out the 2015 SD SoCs.

Let's not get silly here. The 805 doesn't outperform the 810. The rest is on point

Hasney

Let's not get silly here. The 805 doesn't outperform the 810. The rest is on point

CPU wise, it does. The 810 GPU is still on point, but don't forget that out the box, the 810 throttles so much it keeps having to use the little cores making it hilariously bad. Not sure how the real word performance of the OnePlus Two comapres, since it only uses 2 cores at a time but shouldn't drop to the little as much.... But uses all cores in the benchmarks because why the fuck not?

linkboy

Did some thinking and I'm leaning towards the Nexus 6.

64GB is more then enough space for me and I just sold my nexus 7, so I can basically merge two devices into one.

Quasar

I think it's more because so few people care. Nexus 5 has the hype because those users need an upgrade. Nexus 6 users would be getting a spec side grade with a fingerprint scanner and smaller screen. I don't know why anyone wouldn't just save money and get the current Nexus 6.

Certainly for me I'm more interested in the 5 replacement because its smaller and will be lower priced. Whereas the larger one is bigger than I want and will probably be priced like a 6.

I still using my N4, and frankly would be happy staying with it if battery was better and I kept getting OS updates.

reKon

Banned
Just got a 64 GB SD card to add to my tablet to around 95 GB of usable storage! (feels good man). I really Amazon would let you choose offline storage for downloading videos offline. I guess I'm OK so far though. I have 8 GB of on storage space available and I've already downloaded the majority of the big apps (games like bard Tales) for the most part.

RuGalz

In general the point of going 64-bit is to gain larger memory addressing but the iPhone still only has 1 GB of RAM so Apple basically trolled Qualcomm and they just ate it up and shit out the 2015 SD SoCs.

Having more registers in the 64bit architecture helps with app performance quite a bit even if you are not taking advantage of larger memory space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom