• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yooo the HTC 10 looks great! What a surprise. I hope it sells well. I think it is the best looking Android phone out there, except the 6P.

cLNqREo.jpg

Sharp looking. What the hell at the headphone jack placement, though. Can't wait until 3.5mm aux ports die.

Groof

Yooo the HTC 10 looks great! What a surprise. I hope it sells well. I think it is the best looking Android phone out there, except the 6P.

cLNqREo.jpg

Sharp looking. What the hell at the headphone jack placement, though. Can't wait until 3.5mm aux ports die.

literally

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
One of the few phones where black looks just as good as white.

The HTC 10 has to be one of the nicest looking phones I have ever seen. It would be perfect if they just put the damned headphone jack on the bottom.

*Edit* Also I would have preferred a rear Fingerprint scanner so the bezels could have been smaller in place of it.

VoxPop

cLNqREo.jpg

Looks just like the M9 with a Samsung home button?

Bboy AJ

Looks just like the M9 with a Samsung home button?
It doesn't look like the M9 at all. I mean, in the sense they're both from HTC, sure. But nah, they're different. The 10 looks great and the 9 looks as awful as it ever did.

cLNqREo.jpg

button is so off centered at bottom. looks ugly. button beside are too tinw as well. rest is good.

Achtius

Oh awesome so the HTC m10 promo code doesn't work for Canada but does for the USA .

So it's 599 us and 999 Canadian.

Fuck right off.

I was going to go from M7 to 10, but.. nope. not at 1130 after tax.

edit: promo code for canada seems to be HTCCA1008, but still too $$. lol

HawkeyeIC

HTC M10 gets Ruddock'd:

Here are the things I can only give you one-sentence impressions on.

Speed: the phone feels entirely quick, but that's also down to how HTC speeds up the animations at the OS level to give this perception, and I'll have to spend more time with it before I really decide if it's quick or if HTC really hasn't been able to work any more magic with the so-far so-so Snapdragon 820 than anyone else has yet.
Display: Oversaturated with some fairly noticeable color casting at off angles, and I'm not especially impressed with sunlight performance right now (polarization also seems a bit odd?), but the blue-cast is definitely less of an issue this go around.
Camera: I'm already having issues with pink-ish looking whites in indoor and low-light shots that simply don't occur with the G5 and S7, but I need to spend a lot more time with the camera to figure out what's what, but there's no way it could be worse than the M9 or A9... I hope. (I can't share any pictures, sorry.)
Audio: I'm very impressed with the dual speakers, but some more head to heads need to happen for me to give a final verdict, though I'm quite optimistic - I haven't tested headphone audio just yet.
Battery: Too early to tell.
Overall: The HTC 10 feels like a much greater step forward than either the M8 or M9, but I'm not sure it feels like a phone that necessarily belongs in 2016, which kind of echoes how I felt about the G5 (again, I still need more time with it).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/04/12/a-quick-hands-on-with-and-first-impressions-of-the-htc-10/

vwnut13

Really sick of Cyanogenmod adding more and more crap to the settings menus. Updated to the latest build for my Moto G and now there are menus for Gestures and Weather.

Looks like we're now up to 11 additional menus (31 total) vs stock Android.

Would love to have them all placed in a single 'Cyanogenmod' menu.

This years flagships sound kinda shitty so far other than samesung. Nexus or against us?

Really sick of Cyanogenmod adding more and more crap to the settings menus. Updated to the latest build for my Moto G and now there are menus for Gestures and Weather.

Looks like we're now up to 11 additional menus (31 total) vs stock Android.

Would love to have them all placed in a single 'Cyanogenmod' menu.
it is annoying. More isn't always better. Trying to cater to everyone all the time.

Bboy AJ

Is the SD820 a disappointment? Will the 6P be the first Nexus since the Nexus One I keep for more than a year?

clav

Is the SD820 a disappointment? Will the 6P be the first Nexus since the Nexus One I keep for more than a year?

I'm still using a Galaxy S3.

Hopefully you're not an environmentalist or post on this board about climate change.

Everything sounds like an upgrade.

You people easily fit in the group that upgrades their graphics card every year.

Bboy AJ

Hopefully you're not an environmentalist or post on this board about climate change.

You people easily fit in the group that upgrades their graphics card every year.
Meh, sounds like an excuse for being cheap.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Yeah, there's really nothing remarkable about the design. It's as boring as Samsung's.

I'll take poorly designed metal over the best glassy design any day.

I feel like the 6P will be the first phone that will make me skip an upgrade cycle. The next Nexus has to have a super killer spec/feature to push me toward selling up.

clav

I'll take poorly designed metal over the best glassy design any day.

Also depends if the design is resistant to bending.

Samsung has so far shown that. However, no one likes to talk about dropping the phone, which makes all glass body subpar. People should know this from Samsung's Galaxy Active series.

nothing wrong with s3. As long as phone works for you it is perfectly fine. I keep saying that here many times.

Everyone talks about upgrade proof in PCs or smartphones, but no one really follows it from what I've read for those who advocate that.

HawkeyeIC

Insane battery life is about the only thing that would make me even consider upgrading my 6P. Everything else is more than good enough.

Bboy AJ

Then no one should read reviews or impression sites because they're telling people how to spend their money.
That's a far step from

Is everything ok, man? You seem unusually hostile. That's normally reserved for Wreav.

Fuck the SD820, in the real world Exynos 8890 kicks it's ass up and down the playing field. Tests of International GS7 (E8890) vs. North America GS7 (SD820) are demonstrating that. You don't just downsize from 4x4 cores to 2x2 cores and pray that special sauce will make it all better.

LOL get em Sprint.... on your spiraling crash to the ground. Man life must be rough for them

Somewhere, Masayoshi Son (CEO of Softbank) wishes he never tried to get into the American market. It's a brutal market for a reason. The country is very big and most parts are sparsely populated, trying to cover it is a nightmare unless you spend $4-6 billion a year on network like AT&T and Verizon do.

Still, what T-Mobile has accomplished in just a couple years is nothing short of a miracle. The free money from AT&T has done them wonders, it's no surprise Sprint are getting their asses kicked. If you weren't willing to invest the money on the network you shouldn't have fucked around with the American market, Son.

tzare

seems an improvement over the infamous 810, but not as safe as exynos on the s7. Not an expert but i don't know if it is the gpu to blame, or, the cpu with 2 high speed cores
+2 slower ones, instead of your typical 4 high speed cores or even octacores.

M10 is okay, but those 'safe' specs should've been the m8 or the m9. Finger print scanner comes too late.

Hasney

I don;t see how a feature can be too late. When the phone is released, it either has them or it doesn't. Is anyone going to look at the M10 and go "Well, the M9 didn't have a fingerprint scanner. This feels too late so I'll look elsewhere".

tzare

I don;t see how a feature can be too late. When the phone is released, it either has them or it doesn't. Is anyone going to look at the M10 and go "Well, the M9 didn't have a fingerprint scanner. This feels too late so I'll look elsewhere".

well, the market has spoken and people have been looking elsewhere for awhile, HTC is not that relevant anymore. That is what i meant. THey have lost not only marketshare, but staying relevant in the smartphone market .

Btw there's also an HTC 10 Lifestyle, same specs except for SOC, now a 652, and 3GB of ram instead of 4. Could be an interesting device if well priced for those who do not need awesome specs.

VoxPop

I loved my M7 aside from that POS camera but still, never again.

I've been wanting to get back in the Android arena but nothing really peaking my interest right now. Maybe when the new Nexus drops at the end of the year but by that time it's iPhone season again =T

I loved my M7 aside from that POS camera but still, never again.

I've been wanting to get back in the Android arena but nothing really peaking my interest right now. Maybe when the new Nexus drops at the end of the year but by that time it's iPhone season again =T

I mean, if you're going for full pay, the Nexus 6P is still up there with the best.

VoxPop

I mean, if you're going for full pay, the Nexus 6P is still up there with the best.

Yeah got to play with the 6P and love it but it's a little late to hop on that wagon imo.

I've slowly grown to not need the latest and greatest anymore. I'll simply be happy with a device with good aesthetics, a great camera, and good to great battery. Don't really care for the SOC (except the overheating stuff) and RAM.

The only issue are the skins which I want no part of. I really like the Z5c but it's pretty expensive for a phone thats not a world beater. Are the specs on the old mint green Z3C really bad? All I really do on my phone is browse the web, listen to music and play the occasional Hearthstone game.

edit: really love the Blackberry Passport as it reminds me of simpler times but not even having something simple like Snapchat is pretty pathetic. And no I don't want the abomination that is a Priv.

Fuck the SD820, in the real world Exynos 8890 kicks it's ass up and down the playing field. Tests of International GS7 (E8890) vs. North America GS7 (SD820) are demonstrating that. You don't just downsize from 4x4 cores to 2x2 cores and pray that special sauce will make it all better.

Yet Apple went from 3 cores to 2 cores between the A8X and A9X and gained a ton in performance.

Core count isn't everything.

tzare

Yet Apple went from 3 cores to 2 cores between the A8X and A9X and gained a ton in performance.

Core count isn't everything.

Comparing iOS and a few devices every year with Android and thousands of different hw configurations is apples to oranges though. I mean, Samsung alone releases more smarphones and tablets than apple in years.

Even the same device may have different hw depending on the market, see exynos vs Snapdragon S7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom