• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoner

You must have missed that almost all Android phones got hosed last year due to the Snapdragon 808/810. Also, im assuming your phone is up to date? My 5x is extremely smooth after I installed the march update.

And Pixel C owners and Nexus 5x owners :)

Edit: Ah screw it, opted in the 5x. Waiting for the ota now.

I swear I'm seeing lots of frame drops and it hangs a lot switching apps. I had a regular sized 6S just days ago, though, so that may be of importance.

I know about the 810, but expected better from what I read with the 6P. I totally notice it warming up even while doing mundane tasks.

I swear I'm seeing lots of frame drops and it hangs a lot switching apps. I had a regular sized 6S just days ago, though, so that may be of importance.

I know about the 810, but expected better from what I read with the 6P. I totally notice it warming up even while doing mundane tasks.

That SOC throttles very fast and single core performance is shit which is pretty much the scenarios you are mentioning. The NAND is also fairly slow on that phone.

Not saying Android is exactly as smooth as IOS because it isn't but you cant compare 2015 Qualcomm phones to the iPhone and expect similar results. It was a horrible year for Android becuase of qualcomm.

The 820 is a much better situation and the 2016 Nexus should be buttery smooth.

catmincer

Well not just specs and things but updates (security updates more importantly). Sony already doesn't update their phones and it would be even harder to get them on a 2 year old device.

Sony are good with updates. They updated the z all the way from 4.1 - 5.0 they just take forever to do it.

Chris R

Is there a way to setup the Google Now cards to only show Sports scores for teams I actually add? Just because I do a google search about another team doesn't mean I want to be bombarded with Now Cards for the next week plus.

JBuccCP

Is there a way to setup the Google Now cards to only show Sports scores for teams I actually add? Just because I do a google search about another team doesn't mean I want to be bombarded with Now Cards for the next week plus.
At one point I was getting scores for every single NBA team. I might have looked up Golden States record once or twice but for the most part I don't really watch basketball, I have no idea what made them think I wanted scores for every game.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Glad I'm not the only one. Google now sucks in this regard. I want cards for my home teams. I just want scores for other teams I randomly Google when I randomly Google. I don't need perminate cards for them all smh.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I just wish Google Now had the setting to remind me to watch a certain tv show like it used to

wtf happened

AndyD

aka andydumi

It does under settings and sports. But it does not have every sport, it's somewhat US centric.

weird. enrolled but couldn't wait any longer so i downloaded from google the OTA, installed via TWRP.
it says im updated, but im not seeing new emojis or the new folder stuff. but i am seeing the 'clear all; on the top left of my recent windows.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Hey duders the wife is in the market for a new phone, coming off the 2013 Moto X. I wanna get her something stock, none of this Samsung nonsense, and something not way huger than her Moto X. It looks kinda like the Nexus 5x is the way to go? Or is it actually a piece of junk. Help me GAF you are my only hope.

[Edit] Also we are on Verizon and boy I am reading some shit stuff about getting these Nexus's activated but they're a few months old, is this still an issue?

Hey duders the wife is in the market for a new phone, coming off the 2013 Moto X. I wanna get her something stock, none of this Samsung nonsense, and something not way huger than her Moto X. It looks kinda like the Nexus 5x is the way to go? Or is it actually a piece of junk. Help me GAF you are my only hope.

[Edit] Also we are on Verizon and boy I am reading some shit stuff about getting these Nexus's activated but they're a few months old, is this still an issue?

HTC M10

I just wish Google Now had the setting to remind me to watch a certain tv show like it used to

wtf happened
Actually, for the past few months, Google Now hasn't shown be anything other than the weather and shipment tracking information from my emails. Literally nothing else. No clue what happened. I thought it was my phone, but I'm on the G5 now, and it's still the same thing.

What's your budget? If she likes the Moto X she can get the Moto X Pure.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is the new N daily driver ready for the 6P?

EmiPrime

That SOC throttles very fast and single core performance is shit which is pretty much the scenarios you are mentioning. The NAND is also fairly slow on that phone.

Not saying Android is exactly as smooth as IOS because it isn't but you cant compare 2015 Qualcomm phones to the iPhone and expect similar results. It was a horrible year for Android becuase of qualcomm.

The 820 is a much better situation and the 2016 Nexus should be buttery smooth.

Are Android OEMs moving to PCIe storage yet?

as is everything else google

Don't worry, it's not a Google-only problem.

Cortana launched 3 years ago and they barely covered the English-speaking countries, EFIGS, Japan and China.

This is a real problem, because Microsoft thinks it's a good idea to lock certain Windows 10 features behind Cortana.

Google Now, for me, has been really useless for months. So much so, that I turned it off, because all it did was spamming me with shitty articles from the web.

Noema

This looks interesting:

Google said:
Launcher shortcuts: Now, apps can define shortcuts which users can expose in the launcher to help them perform actions quicker. These shortcuts contain an Intent into specific points within your app (like sending a message to your best friend, navigating home in a mapping app, or playing the next episode of a TV show in a media app).
An application can publish shortcuts with ShortcutManager.setDynamicShortcuts(List) and ShortcutManager.addDynamicShortcut(ShortcutInfo), and launchers can be expected to show 3-5 shortcuts for a given app.

I guess we can expect something similar to what iOS does with 3D touch. Looks cool.

Furyous

Is the SD820 a disappointment? Will the 6P be the first Nexus since the Nexus One I keep for more than a year?

You've saved me at least $900 on android smartphones so thank you. The SD820 is what we thought the S810 was. It's a beast and is on par with what we expect from modern smartphone performance. Now I need Google to step up and really improve software along with OEMs thoroughly revamping build quality and DAC.

jokkir

One more time before I bite the bullet:

Quick charge portable battery
or
Quick charge wall plug?

I still cant decide on either. I feel like I would use both equally :|

Chris R

Glad I'm not the only one. Google now sucks in this regard. I want cards for my home teams. I just want scores for other teams I randomly Google when I randomly Google. I don't need perminate cards for them all smh.
OK so there is no solution right now then? Can't seem to disassociate my search from now either?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
One more time before I bite the bullet:

Quick charge portable battery
or
Quick charge wall plug?

I still cant decide on either. I feel like I would use both equally :|
Depends on how often you travel. I'd go with the wall plug if I had to choose. Top up at Starbucks when you're out.

Have the N Preview 2 on my 5x.

So far I have noticed Instagram fixed their app, HBO Go still crashes. Overall performance is still worse than Marshmallow. Not worth it because of the performance downgrade.

Jzero

Finally got the April update. Seems smoother, I don't know what the hell they did in the March update that made my 6P lag like crazy.

I'm not seeing the new folder style or new emoji, but I do have Clear All. Weird!

Go to the playstore and search for the google app and click uninstall. You have a different version of the google app installed than the one that came with preview 2.

Finally got the April update. Seems smoother, I don't know what the hell they did in the March update that made my 6P lag like crazy.

What? I thought the march update had the performance fixes the 5x got?

Straight port by Nvidia for the Shield 2, with the next Pascal-powered Tegra.

Coming soon.

I would be okay with this, since the Pascal-powered Tegra P1 would likely be found in Nvidia Drive PX2 for cars so it would be perfect for playing DS3 on my Tesla Model 3's center control panel screen while the car drives me to work by itself in Autopilot.

Seriously though, if you don't know what Nvidia Drive is, it's why Nvidia's stock is up a million percent lately.

Pulled the trigger on a gold 64gb 6P (Frost isn't available anywhere on contract). Phone free, unlimited calls, texts, 20gb data and two years free Spotify premium for £41pm after cash back

Are there any handy guides as to what apps etc to download and get set up for the first time?

Bboy AJ

Frost is the best. That's why it's the most exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom