• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, the Nexus 5X goes down in price quickly. Now the 32GB model is 330€ in Finland at cdon.com. I'm getting tempted.

I heard about slowdown issues with the 5X, are they really bad?

Reckoner

Damn, the Nexus 5X goes down in price quickly. Now the 32GB model is 330€ in Finland at cdon.com. I'm getting tempted.

Even the 6P slowdowns and lags a lot. It's an Android thing at this point.

I was thinking that coming back to Android was going to be a relief, mostly because of the freedom and not having to use iTunes or my palm to make the sound come to my ears. But man... I'm totally missing the stability and smoothness of the 6S. And I'm also totally noticing a difference in the way it registers my fingers, especially while using the keyboard.

can some one take videos of the slow downs? How crazy they are are? do the animation just stops for a second or is it like slide show? Does restart of the device fixes it? It is by default fundamental software fault or user/ hardware issue?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
can some one take videos of the slow downs? How crazy they are are? do the animation just stops for a second or is it like slide show? Does restart of the device fixes it? It is by default fundamental software fault or user/ hardware issue?
The 5X is fine. There's slow down when the phone goes to work, just like the 6P. Playing Hearthstone for a bit requires a cooldown minute or two to get the phone working normal again.

Comparing iOS and a few devices every year with Android and thousands of different hw configurations is apples to oranges though. I mean, Samsung alone releases more smarphones and tablets than apple in years.

Even the same device may have different hw depending on the market, see exynos vs Snapdragon S7

My comment was aimed specifically at him stating core count was the reason for the performance differences between exynos and snapdragon.

There's more to performance than just core count.

JamzyT

Neo Member
Same battery capacity as the S7, no waterproofing and no wireless charging either. OS updates aren't quicker on there either. Others might prefer the USB C port and the lack of a glass back. But for me, there's no real reason why I'd pick up the 10 over the S7.

Lol yes they are.
HTC are being Google in terms of updates, meanwhile Samsung are towards the bottom of the pile.

With Sense being even closer to stock and with their partnership with Google, its even more likely we'll get faster updates.

Anyway the 10 looks solid!
Anandtech seem to be postiive at this stage.
http://anandtech.com/show/10238/hands-on-with-the-htc-10

Great article by AndroidCentral
http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

htc-10-colors-1-edit-jsidkghrorhjiej_0.jpg

sb7jx7nbisf0w86uohsg.jpg

htc-10-2-jsidkghrorhjiej.jpg

htc-10-first-look-aa-7-of-19.jpg

htc-10-first-look-aa-13-of-19.jpg

htc-10-8-of-15.jpg

htc-10-9-of-15.jpg

htc-10-gray-3-jsidkghrorhjiej_0.jpg

I'd get it over an S7 and probably will be.
I think they should have had the price a bit lower though.

For all we know the 820 wasn't optimized for Android as well as the exynos yet.

Plus HTC has an unlocked model. That's better than wireless charging and waterproofing.

nukedeggs

Hey all I'm thinking of switching iPhone to Android. Currently I have a 5S, and my carrier is AT&T. I hear people really like the Galaxy S7, but would it be a good first Android to start off with? The price is pretty high. Would it be worth it to get an older phone instead, like the LG G4 or the Nexus 5X? Or are they so degraded that it's better to get one of the new phones?

kharma45

You only need to unlock the bootloader if you want to do Sprint/Verizon.

You are going to be good to go on ATT, Straight Talk, Cricket, TMobile etc.

I assumed you meant bootloader locking rather than SIM locking, since all phones here in the UK are launched on networks and SIM unlocked and we don't have any CDMA/GSM differences, everyone is GSM.

Reckoner

There's something about the M10's design that just doesn't feel right. It seems not balanced, especially considering the bezels. I don't get the praise it's receiving.

Also, where is the second speaker?

VoxPop

Hey all I'm thinking of switching iPhone to Android. Currently I have a 5S, and my carrier is AT&T. I hear people really like the Galaxy S7, but would it be a good first Android to start off with? The price is pretty high. Would it be worth it to get an older phone instead, like the LG G4 or the Nexus 5X? Or are they so degraded that it's better to get one of the new phones?

I would probably go with the 5X or 6P to have the purest form of Android. Unlike iOS, a bunch of a manufacturers put terrible skins on top of an already buggy Android. At least with the Nexus line, you will get consistent updates and better support.

Plus HTC has an unlocked model. That's better than wireless charging and waterproofing.

Is it really that hard to buy an unlocked phone in the US? Seems crazy, when you can go in any shop and buy an unlocked and unbranded phone here.

Lol yes they are.
HTC are being Google in terms of updates, meanwhile Samsung are towards the bottom of the pile.

With Sense being even closer to stock and with their partnership with Google, its even more likely we'll get faster updates.

Didn't the M8 skip 5.1 and went straight to 6.0?

And what partnership do they have with Google? If you're talking about the Nexus rumors, that partnership sure as hell didn't help LG with the updates, so I'm not sure why you're suggesting that.

There's something about the M10's design that just doesn't feel right. It seems not balanced, especially considering the bezels. I don't get the praise it's receiving.

Also, where is the second speaker?

For me it's the chamfered edges. They make it look fat and bulky.

I assumed you meant bootloader locking rather than SIM locking, since all phones here in the UK are launched on networks and SIM unlocked and we don't have any CDMA/GSM differences, everyone is GSM.

Yeah... It's early.

Is it really that hard to buy an unlocked phone in the US? Seems crazy, when you can go in any shop and buy an unlocked and unbranded phone here.

And what partnership do they have with Google? If you're talking about the Nexus rumors, that partnership sure as hell didn't help LG with the updates, so I'm not sure why you're suggesting that.

You typically have to order unlocked online which most consumers don't know how to do. Not that it matters with the S7 because they don't even offer an unlocked model.

HTC ditched all their duplicate apps that Google already provides. Plus none of that 3rd party bloat like Samsung has from making deals. Carrier models will still have some of their own though.

The user experience will be much better on the HTC which makes it a no brainier over the S7 IMO.

If the HTC 10 and S7 released at the same time at the same price, I'd probably go HTC as well. But at this point, the S7 has been discounted a bit and at NINE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE DOLLARS (CAD), I can't see why anyone buys this over a 64GB iPhone 6S or a cheaper S7.

It's a really nice looking phone though and I like that they didn't load up the skin with S-Crap.

nukedeggs

I would probably go with the 5X or 6P to have the purest form of Android. Unlike iOS, a bunch of a manufacturers put terrible skins on top of an already buggy Android. At least with the Nexus line, you will get consistent updates and better support.
Thanks! The only thing that makes me uneasy about the Nexus is the size. I think it's at 5.7 in? Not sure if I want a phone that big since I have small hands. Does the Nexus have a smaller alternative? Is it the only phone without skins, and is it commonly accepted as the least buggy android? Are the other Android phones so buggy that it's not really worth it?

VoxPop

Thanks! The only thing that makes me uneasy about the Nexus is the size. I think it's at 5.7 in? Not sure if I want a phone that big since I have small hands. Does the Nexus have a smaller alternative? Is it the only phone without skins, and is it commonly accepted as the least buggy android? Are the other Android phones so buggy that it's not really worth it?

The 5X is 5.2". Honestly you will get used to the size and maybe not even look back. That's what happened to me at least. That being said, the 6P IS pretty big.

The Nexus line is the only one without a skin, yes. Unless you count the OnePlus, which you shouldn't even go near. It's not that their buggy but they come filled with a bunch of unnecessary features, an extra layer of bloat (more if you get a carrier branded one), looks extra hideous and it's just bad in general. The only skin I really didn't have much of an issue with was Sense (HTC) which becomes pretty tolerable if you install a launcher. But installing launchers don't do anything except change your homescreen so you'll be stuck with the skin no matter what (unless you install a custom ROM).

I'd say the safest bet is to go with a Nexus phone but that's just me.

kami_sama

They are not too buggy. In the past yeah, iOS was the better option when stability was the concern. Now, not so much.
If you want a small Nexus, there's the Nexus 5X. 5.2" display. And it's cheap.
But if you want a small phone (like the SE) the only reasonable option at that size is the Z5 Compact.

But if I were you, I'd go either for the 6P or 5X.

Unless you count the OnePlus, which you shouldn't even go near.
Hey, the phone is great, and cheap.
There's too much bullshit around the company, but the product is extremely solid.
And the one time I had to deal with the customer service, it was easy and they didn't charge me one cent.

JamzyT

Neo Member

I'm not talking the Nexus partnership, and the LG skin is bloated and heavy of course Nexus partnership isnt going to help them lmao. Look at the G5 its a mess.

I'm talking about:
The other big differentiator for HTC is software. The firm has long revamped its Sense user interface every 12 months or so, and this year there've been some significant changes. The short version is this: HTC is working a lot more closely with Google, and the HTC 10's new version of Sense is the most minimalist and uncluttered to date.

It's a continuation of the re-tooled, Googlified version of Sense 7 we saw last year on the One A9. Only this time, the Sense of 2016 feels like it was designed from the ground up with the Google stuff in mind, as opposed to layering it on top of an existing HTC UI.

Visually, Sense is as close to vanilla Android as it's ever been, with UI elements like the notification pulldown brought over wholesale, and HTC's own apps adopting more of a Material-like look and feel.

"We want to [apply] Material Design throughout our system," marketing head Darren Sng told us.

The partnership with Google also has cut down some of the duplicative apps found on most other Android phones. Many HTC apps, like the BlinkFeed launcher, HTC dialer, messages, clock and weather remain. However elsewhere there's a whole lot of Google going on: Google Calendar replaces the HTC calendar app, Google Photos replaces HTC Gallery and Google Play Music takes over music playback duties.

Of the very small number of preloaded apps, it's about a 50/50 split between HTC and Google. The major exceptions are News Republic — part of BlinkFeed — as well as Facebook, Instagram and Facebook Messenger. HTC tells us it's moving away from agreements with app providers for preloaded content, so if you're buying an HTC 10 unlocked directly from the manufacturer, you won't have any bloatware to worry about. (Unless your definition of bloatware includes Facebook, of course.)

As for what happens to the HTC 10 once the U.S. carriers get hold of it, well, that's anyone's guess.

Sng admits that paring back on some of its own apps wasn't an easy step for HTC, but a necessary one. "Are we giving up something? Yeah, sure. It's really hard to do," he said. But the company believes that in the end HTC customers — and the entire Android ecosystem — will benefit.

After all, HTC may be one of the first Android phone makers to work this closely with Google on applications and design, but the company expects rivals to follow suit. "Our relationship with Google isn't exclusive," Sng told us.

You might think splitting the app loadout between HTC and Google might lead to a disjointed experience, but the partnership with Google extends beyond simply taking apps from Mountain View and loading them onto the HTC 10. HTC has a "direct line" to the people in charge of each of the Google applications it uses, Sng told us, with proper escalation procedures for any issues that arise.

Case in point: Google Photos on the HTC 10 integrates seamlessly with the HTC Camera app, and supports all HTC's photo features.
http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm suggesting that the 10 should be in line to get fast updates as HTC have continued to strip sense of duplicate apps and also uneccessary skinning so thats its closer to stock and thus mean less work needed to update. And they've worked with Google do so.

All in all HTC's updates are definitely faster than Samsungs for the most part.

And the Chamfer being fat and bulky depends which angle your looking at ;) Yeah looking head on from the back it looks bulky and unweildly but from the sides and what not take a look:
From impressions it seems like the Chamfer is a welcomed edition in terms of in hand ergonomics, not really seen anybody states the chamfer negatively impacts in hand feel. Everyone seems to agree its well crafted.

I too was skeptical on the whole chamfer thing when I first saw it I thought wtf why would HTC do that...still I wont know till I get one in hand but I dont think its as bad as I initially thought

The HTC 10 was somewhat criticized when HTC teased the rear chamfered edge because of how unusually wide the actual chamfer cut was. But now that we hold it in hand, we can understand why HTC wanted to design its handset this way. The wide chamfer gives the HTC 10 a much welcomed tapered edge which aids in the ergonomics of the phone.

The big chamfer's aesthetic is not justified solely by renders or pictures. Upon seeing the chamfer in person, one is able to appreciate the hardware as it was meant to be experienced: by holding it in your hand and holding it up to the light.
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_10_hands_on-review-1426p2.php

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

The original problems with this phone were software patched recently. So don't go by initial reviews.

That's partly why the phone is so cheap. It had random lag issues that it shouldn't have ever had. People got scared away from the phone, and the price dropped.

Back in March Google patched the phone though, and many of the day to day issues went away.

So now you can get a great phone on the cheap. Best value in Android land currently.

thenexus6

Depends on the condition and how old it is.

Its been used for 12 months apparently. My Z1C is fine apart from the almost completely recessed power button making it very hard to power on / off and take screenshot.

Why not just get a Z5c or wait for the Xperia X? No reason to get an almost 2 year old phone only to be outdated even more.

I don't really care about having the newest latest best anymore. Just need a phone for podcasts and social stuff.

Reckoner

Chance to buy a used Z3 Compact for £110 - moving from a Z1 Compact. Wonder if I should bite.
A friend of mine got that same one recently and he says it flies and works really well.

I hear that performance wise it is very close if not better than the Z5c for 810 reasons.

Its been used for 12 months apparently. My Z1C is fine apart from the almost completely recessed power button making it very hard to power on / off and take screenshot.

I don't really care about having the newest latest best anymore. Just need a phone for podcasts and social stuff.

Well not just specs and things but updates (security updates more importantly). Sony already doesn't update their phones and it would be even harder to get them on a 2 year old device.

JamzyT

Neo Member
HTC and JBL announce USB Type-C noise-cancelling headphones

JBL-Reflect-Aware-Headphones.jpg

Interestingly, the Reflect Aware C headphones feature a USB Type-C connector rather than your regular 3.5mm jack. This is a technical requirement of sorts though, as the connector is used to draw power from a smartphone in order to supply the on-board adjustable active noise cancellation circuitry. There’s also an in-line remote with volume controls and a built in microphone for voices calls, so you can make the most of your phone’s features.
http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-jbl-usb-type-c-noise-cancelling-headphones-686125/

Guess this is something similar to what Apple will be doing but with their lightening connector.

Even the 6P slowdowns and lags a lot. It's an Android thing at this point.

I was thinking that coming back to Android was going to be a relief, mostly because of the freedom and not having to use iTunes or my palm to make the sound come to my ears. But man... I'm totally missing the stability and smoothness of the 6S. And I'm also totally noticing a difference in the way it registers my fingers, especially while using the keyboard.

You must have missed that almost all Android phones got hosed last year due to the Snapdragon 808/810. Also, im assuming your phone is up to date? My 5x is extremely smooth after I installed the march update.

New N Build out today.

6P owners, let us know if it's ready for the prime time.

And Pixel C owners and Nexus 5x owners :)

Edit: Ah screw it, opted in the 5x. Waiting for the ota now.

Oh I see Google released the OTA that you can download.....I haven't been rooted in forever, I have my Nexus 6 and was wondering in order to sideload via adb do I need to have a custom recovery with root? I have no custom recovery, other than being unlocked it's completely stock.

edit: nm installed TWRP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom