• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best part about the verge is they delete peoples comments for calling them out for their bullshit.

They got so tired of getting called out that they disabled commenting for like 6 months.

That site was somewhat alright when Josh ran it but as soon as he bounced his underlings took over and completely ruined it.

longdi

Banned
I just got a huawei m8 for family, snappy, pretty well built and good sounding speaker. Chinese phone makers love to clone iOS look and sound though.

But after spending a month with s7e, I realised amoled is not only superior in blacks, but also the whites! With back lit led, increasing the brightness hurts my eyes, whites turned very flour-ish, not very uniform and straining.

The self emissive amoled don't feel like shining a led lamp right into my face.

No Love

Banned
So it's between the S7 Edge and HTC 10. Only question is, which one is better for dank memes? That's the unspoken question on everyone's minds.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So it's between the S7 Edge and HTC 10. Only question is, which one is better for dank memes? That's the unspoken question on everyone's minds.
HTC 10 is so baller. Plus it's going to be less popular. And HTC is pretty good at updates, aren't they? Go for HTC.

Based dank memes

tzare

I thought Samsung had been better with updates of late.

it is a mess. i guess having a million devices with dozens of variants is the reason. Note 4 waiting for MM here, there are a number of models that already have it but not all.
MAkes me want a nexus again when i replace it.... but Notes are hard to replace, nothing in the market like them... plus if Note 6 is waterproof....

it is a mess. i guess having a million devices with dozens of variants is the reason. Note 4 waiting for MM here, there are a number of models that already have it but not all.
MAkes me want a nexus again when i replace it.... but Notes are hard to replace, nothing in the market like them... plus if Note 6 is waterproof....

Are you talking about carrier variants or unlocked and region variants?

tzare

Are you talking about carrier variants or unlocked and region variants?

both of them.
I have a 910F, still waiting. 910P (sprint) and a few 910C variants, unlocked in poland, and 910H , india are already on MM. Afaik, Sprint version has same hw as 910F (snapdragon).

Waiting for any 910F version, so i can flash it with odin. Mine was Vodafone, but flashed a unlocked FW.

Quixzlizx

No, Android TV includes Chromecast support. It's a huge upgrade because you get choice between casting and a full TV OS.

Vizios are nothing but Chromecast built into a TV with a cheap android tablet and vizio app any device can run. Full Android does nothing for TVs other than casting.

It means that apps will never be out of date.

Jigolo

Just got myself an Intel NUC from craigslist and had my old Motorola BT keyboard lying around for years. Finally putting it to good use.

It means that apps will never be out of date.

No it doesn't. You do realize Android TV has the PlayStore right? Apps are not tied to OS updates. Even the casting feature is an app as well as the launcher.

I have an Android TV and an Android phone with plenty of the same apps on each device. HBO, Showtime, sling TV, Hulu, Netflix are all equally updated rarely on the phone and TV.

You also don't need to write a new app for Android TV. It can be the same code base besides the view. In fact the developer doesn't even need to change the view much if they don't want to...

Vizio isn't solving anything by shipping an outdated tablet that is limits the TV to casting. The only way we will see these apps get more updates is if some of these players die off and there are less ecosystems to write the same app for.

First time seeing it in person yesterday at BB. Very nice build but way too big for me and I almost bit the bullet last month when the March update came out. Glad I didn't

Yea pretty much the only reason I returned mine back last year when I got one on sale. Way too big despite being the same size as the Note 5, if was much heavier and ungrippable for me.

Lol buying $700 flagships as a back up

He's a baller bro. Don't be jelly.
Hahaha late reply but go big or go home!

Just kidding, I'm not rich at all.
First time seeing it in person yesterday at BB. Very nice build but way too big for me and I almost bit the bullet last month when the March update came out. Glad I didn't
It's all in your mind! Your hands will adjust in like 3 days.

daoster

Welp, I went with the more gimped Nexus 5X, but for $300....I think it's a decent deal, and when the HTC NExus comes out this year, I can still probably afford that.

Much better than spend $700 on an HTC M10, or buying an S7Edge.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
After the M10, the HTC Nexus rumor makes more sense.

I was reading an article about Cricket Wireless' new "unlimited" plan and there was a sentence where the wording confused me:

There's fine print, and as you might expect it's related to the unlimited data (any time you see a carrier offer "unlimited data," your lie detector should start beeping). Cricket's download speeds on LTE are throttled to 8Mbps, and on 4G it's throttled to 4Mbps. That's not exactly slow, but AT&T's network is obviously capable of a whole lot more.

I thought LTE and 4G were synonymous in normal speak with LTE actually being one example of 4G tech. As a Cricket customer, I believe my throttling level has been 8Mbps when I've used Speedtest - so when is it halved? If Cricket had rollover data like almost every other major wireless company it would be perfect, but I don't want my standard speeds slowed any more than that.

4G in the USA is considered to be HSPA+

You can blame AT&T for that, they lobbied the ITU for the right to brand HSPA+ as "4G" because at the time Verizon had already rolled out LTE nationwide and they hadn't done jack shit. Apple's devices on AT&T are notorious for saying "4G" even when it's HSPA+ and not LTE.

Trivia of the Day:
Even LTE is not truly "4G" according to ITU, it's actually "3.9G". Only the currently undeployed LTE Advanced is true "4G" according to the ITU.

Its more so because of the fact that the Verge consistently lists cons in Android phone reviews that it NEVER does in iPhone reviews. Cons that exist on both platforms.

If they cant find enough cons with an android phone they will reach.

Boring design?
Overpriced?

Slow camera is a con for sure but the rest...Are you fucking kidding me?

The iVerge is trash but they gave the HTC 10 a fair score. Samsung devices usually score higher in The iVerge's reviews, though obviously lower than iPhones.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of Nexus/Nexus's HTC ends up producing if they really are working on the series. I mean design/build wise it would seem like the best idea would be to make something similar to the HTC 10, but I wonder if they will shake things up just for the sake of it. At the very least I hope Google continues to keep things like last year and offers two models with different screen sizes to cater towards everybody.

Except iPhone SE fans.

Bboy AJ

Yeah, they can take the small end. Then we find out who does the 6.

Speaking of, just ordered a 6P. Worked out to be £50 after selling my 6 so I thought fuck it.
You won't regret it. The 6P is way better.

Hasney

You won't regret it. The 6P is way better.

Well even typing in Messenger is faster, so I'm happy for now.

Have the April updates dropped yet? It's doing them all sequentially so just installing March now for the 3rd reboot in a row. Did see someone mention a Pixel C April update, but I've not seen it yet.

Groof

Well even typing in Messenger is faster, so I'm happy for now.

Have the April updates dropped yet? It's doing them all sequentially so just installing March now for the 3rd reboot in a row. Did see someone mention a Pixel C April update, but I've not seen it yet.
Yep it's out. The OTAs are pretty random

Hasney

Yep it's out. The OTAs are pretty random

Yeah, got it almost instantly after the March reboot. Manually going to do my Pixel C but can't figure that one out yet. Pretty nice my laptops Type C port is getting some use with the 6P and Pixel C now.

EDIT: Done, fastboot is just a bit different.

Bboy AJ

N2 impressions for daily driving? Or are we all waiting, too?

Hasney

I switched all my devices back beforehand. Split window wasn't really worth dealing with the beta nature in the end and there wasn't much else there, so would he happy to hear too. Especially Pixel C ones.

Broank

I've been using it on my phone (N6) since it released and it's been smooth and stable so far in my general usage (browsing, texting, music streaming, games). Some minor hiccups here and there but nothing like the first release that was real janky for me after a couple days.

On 5x... It's smoother than preview 1 but still pretty slow compared M. It's also less buggy than preview 1. Google told me more performance improvements are coming in the future releases.

I'm staying and not rolling back this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom