• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shingi70

Banned
I dropped my Nexus 6 and broke the screen, (phone still works), but I'm upgrading my phone next month so what are the top tier phones on the market.

I was looking at the 6p and even flirting with getting an iPhone.

Hasney

I dropped my Nexus 6 and broke the screen, (phone still works), but I'm upgrading my phone next month so what are the top tier phones on the market.

Gone from a 6 to a 6p today. Easily the best move.

Jigolo

The only phones I'd consider rn in the android space is the S7/e, htc 10, or 6p.

Jigolo

Looks like people are still playing catch up to what Motorola did years ago. Samsung and LG with their display stuff and Google with this little swipe shortcut. Think moto had this in their atrix 2 way back

Looks like people are still playing catch up to what Motorola did years ago. Samsung and LG with their display stuff and Google with this little swipe shortcut. Think moto had this in their atrix 2 way back

Samsung's had the display going active to show notifications and stuff via a hand wave or flip over since the GS2 and there's already been a ton of apps and several launchers tht have supported jumping directly into app activities.

jyoung188

Whats the best way to remove DRM from the movies I've bought on iTunes so I can import them into Google Play? I downloaded TunesKit then realized that I had to pay to get more than 3 minuites converted. I also tried Requiem but it's no longer able to work with the current version of iTunes.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Jigolo

whoops it was the atrix HD back in 2012 not the atrix 2

https://youtu.be/KeZT5h7eg1A?t=4m30s

i remember reading these old reviews. omg aaron from phone dog :``(

moto da gawds

RIP moto

Screenshot_2012-07-12-13-28-05.png
Screenshot_2012-07-12-13-29-12.png

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/1...duces-live-icons-and-an-awesome-clock-widget/

bless motoblur

active-display-moto-x.gif

#2016features

Hasney

Whats the best way to remove DRM from the movies I've bought on iTunes so I can import them into Google Play? I downloaded TunesKit then realized that I had to pay to get more than 3 minuites converted. I also tried Requiem but it's no longer able to work with the current version of iTunes.

I don't think we're allowed to link anything here. It would be the same as a crack for a game I would imagine. Sorry.

I know the Huawei in the thread title is a joke, but has anyone here used a Huawei Honor 5X? Is that thing pretty decent?

My primary purpose for it would be to lug it around with a T-Mobile SIM inside it and see if it gets signal where my current daily driver, a Verizon Note 4, can get signal.

You have no idea how annoying it is trying to find a cheap phone which supports T-Mobile's Band 12 just to test drive their network. If anyone has a better suggestion than Honor 5X which is cheaper I'm all earpieces. I need at least a 5" screen.

I know the Huawei in the thread title is a joke, but has anyone here used a Huawei Honor 5X? Is that thing pretty decent?

My primary purpose for it would be to lug it around with a T-Mobile SIM inside it and see if it gets signal where my current daily driver, a Verizon Note 4, can get signal.

You have no idea how annoying it is trying to find a cheap phone which supports T-Mobile's Band 12 just to test drive their network. If anyone has a better suggestion than Honor 5X which is cheaper I'm all earpieces. I need at least a 5" screen.
Why not the Nexus 5X from Fi? It's $200 + tax and you should get the $30 back from Activating it with Fi.

Why not the Nexus 5X from Fi? It's $200 + tax and you should get the $30 back from Activating it with Fi.

I didn't really want to get Google Fi...I just wanted to test drive T-Mobile's network. Like, with a prepaid T-Mo SIM for a few months.

Also the Honor 5X doesn't have Band 12 so welp.

I'm looking at the Blu Life One X now but no one knows if it really has Band 12 either.

Why is T-Mobile being such a pain in the ass about Band 12, is it like made of gold or something?

I didn't really want to get Google Fi...I just wanted to test drive T-Mobile's network. Like, with a prepaid T-Mo SIM for a few months.

I'm looking at the Blu Life One X now but no one knows if it really has Band 12 either.

Why is T-Mobile being such a pain in the ass about Band 12, is it like made of gold or something?

How is test driving TMobiles network with Fi any different than straight from T-Mobile?

You aren't a second class citizion with Fi, same service, latency, and speeds as a regular subscriber from what I saw. Month to month too and porting etc was extremely automate and smooth.

You don't even need to use Fi I just figured you would buy the phone activate it with them and then cancel service and use it on AT&T. It isn't that much effort for getting the phone for that cheap.

they just want to make sure that in emergencies people can call 911.

Reckoner

What to do before selling an Android M phone? I remember when I sold my Nexus 6 that it had some kind of protection. Just wipe it out?

You don't even need to use Fi I just figured you would buy the phone activate it with them and then cancel service and use it on AT&T. It isn't that much effort for getting the phone for that cheap.

You can cancel it without even paying for the first month of service?

I might just get the Blu Life One X, it's only $150 and people are saying it works with Band 12 though it's uncertified so no VoLTE.

they just want to make sure that in emergencies people can call 911.

So it's true that some Band 12 areas have been completely re-farmed and don't have any GSM at all anymore? Because if the base GSM network is there, you can make emergency calls.

Lockon

My sister's LG G4 is stuck on the boot up screen (with the LG logo). Is the only thing to do is get it replace? I read it's hardware problem?

So it's true that some Band 12 areas have been completely re-farmed and don't have any GSM at all anymore? Because if the base GSM network is there, you can make emergency calls.

Band 12 has better range and penetration than their GSM network so there are coverage areas with only Band 12 in range.

if the handset doesn't support VoLTE on Band 12, because the handset sees that it is connected to T-Mobile, the 911 call won't go thru. even if for example, there's AT&T towers around to roam on.

Emergency 911 rules are in place to ensure that those calls will go thru, even if the device has to roam. that's also why even locked devices can call 911 and even unactivated devices can call 911.if your device can power on and get a signal, it's supposed to be able to call 911.

longdi

Banned
How is the google account auto backup feature? I read it will auto backup every 24 hours, sounds like a battery drain and an inconvenience.

How to switch it to a manual backup, as in, i backup/upload my files as and when i like?

How is the google account auto backup feature? I read it will auto backup every 24 hours, sounds like a battery drain and an inconvenience.

How to switch it to a manual backup, as in, i backup/upload my files as and when i like?

How is it an inconvenience or battery drain? It's an extremely tiny amount of data and it's done automatically. The only backups that actually take serious resources are typically photo and video backups which you have the option of only backing up while charging.

Hasney

You don't, it just happens. It's either on or off. Seriously though, we're talking kb's of data as it's just says what apps you currently have installed, settings and if you changed your wallpaper settings. Some 3rd party save data is stored too, but barely any app seems to use it. Stuff like contact and, calendar entries are saved to your account as you create them.

Photos and junk can be set to backup when you charge or when you take them.

longdi

Banned
Ok thanks then i will just leave it on auto. Though the OCD freak like me would still love to have some form of fine controls, like manual backup, backup every week etc. Because the idea that the phone needs to wake up and activate wifi/4g every day sounds like bad wake-lock happening

Band 12 has better range and penetration than their GSM network so there are coverage areas with only Band 12 in range.

if the handset doesn't support VoLTE on Band 12, because the handset sees that it is connected to T-Mobile, the 911 call won't go thru. even if for example, there's AT&T towers around to roam on.

Emergency 911 rules are in place to ensure that those calls will go thru, even if the device has to roam. that's also why even locked devices can call 911 and even unactivated devices can call 911.if your device can power on and get a signal, it's supposed to be able to call 911.

Huh, I didn't know that. This is actually pretty interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that this is the problem T-Mobile is having. But their GSM network was originally only built on the 1900mhz PCS band. They also held spectrum in 1700/2100mhz (AWS, LTE Band 4). It's why historically their coverage was so bad, they never had any spectrum in the 800-900mhz range like AT&T and Verizon did.

Not coincidentally, Sprint was also an high-frequency band only carrier for many years, stuck on the 1900mhz band as well (which is why they used to be called "Sprint PCS"), and their coverage was regarded as awful too. The laws of physics suck sometimes.

Band 12 is pretty amazing as it's in the 700mhz frequency range, that's why T-Mobile's effective coverage has increased by leaps and bounds the past few years. It has a longer effective range from the tower in any scenario with a physical line-of-sight obstruction and it has superior building penetration. It's even lower frequency than the 800-900mhz bands that AT&T and Verizon have had forever and ever.

So I guess that's why you have issues if you buy one of these uncertified devices to use on T-Mobile. You'll have Band 12 for LTE data, but the device will need to drop to GSM on the AWS/PCS bands for voice calling. I see how the problem you described would crop up in an emergency call situation in certain coverage areas.

It kind of sucks that Google never implemented that Android OS-level switch to toggle VoLTE they wanted, everyone's using their own implementation which are all not compatible. That's why only T-Mobile devices sold using customized T-Mobile Android builds can use VoLTE on T-Mobile's network.

The Blu Life One X happens to be a dual-SIM device, I wonder if this problem can be avoided by switching the phone to the unoccupied SIM slot, forcing it to be unregistered and search for any available network to make an emergency call. I should test that sometime if I do get one of those.

My hands are itching for a nexus phone. I had a nexus tablet before, Really liked how the updates arrives fast. Probably gonna retire my zenfone for a nexus.

Is there any good alternative from chrome browser that does consume too much battery?

Is there anywhere that can teach me how to "Android" 3 days into my first one (Nexus 6P) and apart from showbox (praise the lord) I'm not using it to its potential. Also are there any EQ apps that are easy to install as the stock headphone sound isn't that great and I got 2yrs free spotify premium with my contract so I want to put it to full use

Is there anywhere that can teach me how to "Android" 3 days into my first one (Nexus 6P) and apart from showbox (praise the lord) I'm not using it to its potential. Also are there any EQ apps that are easy to install as the stock headphone sound isn't that great and I got 2yrs free spotify premium with my contract so I want to put it to full use
you can basically do anything with android so it's hard to give someone a how-to. Just play play play with apps and whatnot.

AirDroid is an example of something cool that android can do. Get that app.

Download an older version of iTunes. That's all that works to my knowledge.

My hands are itching for a nexus phone. I had a nexus tablet before, Really liked how the updates arrives fast. Probably gonna retire my zenfone for a nexus.

Is there any good alternative from chrome browser that does consume too much battery?

rs and other browser that are made for snapdragon. amazing browsers.

szaromir

Banned
Man, those HTC 10 reviews really make me want to get one. But other then the crappy camerta, I'm still perfectly happy with my M8, so it's hard to justify getting a new phone.

This sort of question pops around a lot, but I just got a Galaxy S7 Edge after 4-5 years of an iPhone 5. Its my first go with any kind of android. Can anyone recommend some pointers and essentials?

I've dug around some and got a few things. I switched to Google Keyboard and grabbed their Survey app. Got all of the bloatware apps pushed out of the way, save for edge related ones.

My biggest concern so far is just that I don't have a podcast app yet.

Haven't even cracked the surface on visual customization.

EmiPrime

This sort of question pops around a lot, but I just got a Galaxy S7 Edge after 4-5 years of an iPhone 5. Its my first go with any kind of android. Can anyone recommend some pointers and essentials?

I've dug around some and got a few things. I switched to Google Keyboard and grabbed their Survey app. Got all of the bloatware apps pushed out of the way, save for edge related ones.

My biggest concern so far is just that I don't have a podcast app yet.

Haven't even cracked the surface on visual customization.

Pocket Casts.

Wow, force touch confirmed from Google to the verge. Nexus devices just got a win (if you care about force touch) over all other 2016 android flagships.

Google just needs to have built vr and better messaging and N could be one of the biggest and best Android releases ever.

Husker86

Wow, force touch confirmed from Google to the verge. Nexus devices just got a win (if you care about force rouch) over all other 2016 android flagships.

Google just needs to have built vr and better messaging and N could be one of the biggest and best Android releases ever.

I thought you didn't visit The Verge.

Nova Launcher if you want to customize the look more. I also use the Minimal UI app because I like the nice even look of the icons with it.

The Amazon app let's you download a bunch of apps and games for free (I think KOTOR is still free, for example).

EmiPrime

Imagine what you'll be able to do with 3D touch and Nova launcher.

Just give me SMS and actionable notifications on the desktop (without Pushbullet) and Android N will be close to perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom