• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
Imagine what you'll be able to do with 3D touch and Nova launcher.

Just give me SMS and actionable notifications on the desktop (without Pushbullet) and Android N will be close to perfect.

Yeah should be nice, but nova is already pretty amazing at it stands right now. I don't know how much I'll use the force press features because all the information I usually want to access quickly is right on event flow and talon widget apps...

Maybe for hangout shortcuts it will be useful?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Wow, force touch confirmed from Google to the verge. Nexus devices just got a win (if you care about force touch) over all other 2016 android flagships.
Possibly. But not definitely. The article says:

It doesn't, however, mean that you should expect that most (or even many) upcoming Android phones will have the feature. Everything about this sort of scans as a nice option that heads off future fragmentation at the pass.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/17/11446854/android-n-support-pressure-sensitive-screens-3d-touch

Sora_N

Nova Launcher if you want to customize the look more. I also use the Minimal UI app because I like the nice even look of the icons with it.

The Amazon app let's you download a bunch of apps and games for free (I think KOTOR is still free, for example).

Wow free kotor.. Shit thanks!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think thats more so referring to non Nexus and a typical jab at fragmentation. Google is not going to release a new feature in N and not have nexus device use it.
I hope so. But that's not a guarantee. For example, sd card support/merging.

Furyous

That future fragmentation thing is true as far as if someone wants pressure sensitivity then they're better off waiting until Android N formally launches. No one with an S6/S7, G4/G5 etc loses sleep over this reveal. This eliminates the vast majority of flagships and forces me to wait until the late summer early fall at the latest. Does this mean we're getting a Nexus at the dev conference?

Z6/Z6C/Z6P should launch with Android N and pressure sensitivity. OP3 is SOL for me due to this revelation. X3 is SOL as well for the same reason. Nexus or Z6 line is my only savior this year.

BHK3

Banned
So whats a good time killer in the google play store? I tried some games but their almost worse than flash games in terms of looks and feel, I tried that one final fantasy but that was...not what I was looking for.

I would prefer something slow or simple, and no to minimal ads please. Every other game forces me to watch videos just to continue playing...

reKon

Banned
So whats a good time killer in the google play store? I tried some games but their almost worse than flash games in terms of looks and feel, I tried that one final fantasy but that was...not what I was looking for.

I would prefer something slow or simple, and no to minimal ads please. Every other game forces me to watch videos just to continue playing...

Smash hit, but you'll get bored of that after a bunch of playthroughs. The VR version turns it into a whole other game though. Stardunk is a great time killer, but I would suggest that you pay to remove ads. Put that google opinion reward cash to use! Or stop being cheap and buy the damn $2 game if you enjoy it.

So what's the chance of Google introducing new Nexus phones this fall? I decided I'm going to wait for something with Quick Charge 3.0 instead of just getting the 5X - hoping for Google to deliver the good stuff this year.

Battery is the only thing I don't like on my Nexus 5 so fast charging is very appealing to me.

I also hope they won't fuck over Europe as hard as they did with 5X and 6P. More expensive sucks but there may be no choice with the current Euro exchange rate - but also giving Americans free Play Store credit and not Europe was the biggest dick move.

So what's the chance of Google introducing new Nexus phones this fall? I decided I'm going to wait for something with Quick Charge 3.0 instead of just getting the 5X - hoping for Google to deliver the good stuff this year.

Battery is the only thing I don't like on my Nexus 5 so fast charging is very appealing to me.

I also hope they won't fuck over Europe as hard as they did with 5X and 6P. More expensive sucks but there may be no choice with the current Euro exchange rate - but also giving Americans free Play Store credit and not Europe was the biggest dick move.

Luckily, the phones bombed pretty hard, which lowered the price significantly. In Germany you can get a 5X starting at 270€ (black, 16GB). I just wish they didn't go cheap on the RAM.

iphone 6s vs iphone se users. fragmentation, do they talk about that?

I couldn't care less about force touch. It has been proven that it is not an essential new feature. Nice to have, that's all.

Don't worry, the app developers don't care either. Outside of Apple and Google apps it won't be adopted at all.

Mindwipe

Force touch is fucking stupid as a feature in general. Feels like copying for the sake of copying..... absolutely moronic.

Yup. There's simply no consumer demand for it because it's too confusing for the average user.

OS parity.

That will happen when iOS quietly drops it. I think it's pretty notable that not a single new device has shipped from Apple supporting it since the iPhone 6S.

I honestly think it might even be disabled by default on the iPhone 7S.

Mindwipe

So... quick question. Does anyone have a recommendation for an Android TV file explorer with a UI that doesn't make me want to stick a rusty screwdriver up my nostril and push?

ES does what I need it to do, but in thirty presses more than I want it to.

EmiPrime

Nexus 5 faithful:

Amazon UK are selling genuine LG batteries with a manufacture date of October 2015 for £15. I just replaced mine.

kinggroin

Banned
What's the best? And does this web site usually have solid/fair information? Or are they ran by a bunch of fan boys like BGR and Verge is.

Seems the 6p beats them all in still image photography. I think HDR+ processing is giving it the edge.

Though I still maintain that picture taking experience is better on the G5 and GS7 thanks to speed. Tradeoffs.

Getting fed up with my N6's camera - primarily speed to launch + focus + take a shot. Just want something that's point and shoot.

Will the 5X be a huge improvement over the N6 in that regard, or just more of the same?

Murdoch

Getting fed up with my N6's camera - primarily speed to launch + focus + take a shot. Just want something that's point and shoot.

Will the 5X be a huge improvement over the N6 in that regard, or just more of the same?

They really need to improve the stock camera app for Nexus devices; the potential is there but is far too inconsistent and sometimes fails to load altogether!

Admodieus

The problem with 3D Touch on the iPhone is that you cannot choose your shortcuts on the home screen. So for example, when I 3D Touch the camera app, the first menu item is "Take Selfie", with "Take Regular Picture" the last of four options. I would want to swap the two.

I'm sure that you will be able to do this on Android, either natively or with Nova or other launchers. And that makes it much more useful for me in the long run. I could also see a lot of integration with the new split window view - "peek" on a link for a preview, pop to open the windows side by side

Blackhead

Redarse
The problem with 3D Touch on the iPhone is that you cannot choose your shortcuts on the home screen. So for example, when I 3D Touch the camera app, the first menu item is "Take Selfie", with "Take Regular Picture" the last of four options. I would want to swap the two.

I'm sure that you will be able to do this on Android, either natively or with Nova or other launchers. And that makes it much more useful for me in the long run. I could also see a lot of integration with the new split window view - "peek" on a link for a preview, pop to open the windows side by side

The Trouble With 3D Touch
Michael Tsai said:
Jason Snell:
Unfortunately, after six months of using an iPhone 6s, I’m afraid that I’ve completely stopped using 3D Touch, to the point where I forget it’s there. My opinion about how brilliantly implemented this feature is hasn’t changed a bit, but I feel like Apple needs to rethink the meaning of the 3D Touch in iOS 10 for it to be a more useful feature.​

John Gruber:
The gimmicky nature of peek/pop is alarming. I never got into “peeking” while using my 6S — like Jason argues, it solves a problem we didn’t have. It’s not any faster than just tapping whatever it is you want to see, and worse, it’s harder to read because your thumb is still there covering the display. It’s a demo feature, not a real feature, and I find that deeply worrisome.

[…]

A force touch should just be a shortcut to a long press. In fact, a few weeks ago, I got confused while using the system’s Weather app. I wanted to reorder my list of saved cities. It took me around 45 seconds to figure out how to do it. My first few attempts were by force tapping the city I wanted to move. But this just opened a peek. Then I tried looking around for an “Edit” button, but there isn’t one. I started to wonder whether the list was not re-orderable. Then it finally occurred to me to long-press on a city. My natural instinct was to do that by force tapping.​

Joe Cieplinski:
Long press is a purposefully slow gesture. It makes you stop, literally, and wait a second or so before you can move on with other things. Therefore, it’s suited best for tasks that you want to do very deliberately and only very occasionally, like rearranging the icons on your home screen. The nature of the long press makes it very unlikely you’ll do it accidentally, and so it’s perfect for these sorts of tasks. You have to think about a long press, and that’s a good thing.

3D Touch, on the other hand, is meant to speed you up. Application launching shortcuts take you directly to a spot within the app in one gesture. Pressing hard from the left of the screen helps you invoke the app switcher faster. It’s all about the speed.​

Nick Heer:
The peek gesture works surprisingly well in a lot of cases: peeking on an unfamiliar Instagram profile or a Twitter account from within Tweetbot has become second-nature for me. Instead of loading an entire timeline or photo stream, I see only very recent stuff, but I get to see their bio and full name, which is what I often care about. Similarly, peeking on a Mail message is great for previewing it but not marking it as read.

Where the peek gesture does get frustrating is when it needs to transfer significant data over an average internet connection. Peeking on a web page is almost always pointless because most pages are far too large and take a long time to load.

[…]

As I’ve written previously, I think we’ve entered a new age of experimental and “fuzzy” interfaces. The limitations of virtual assistants like Siri and Alexa, and new interface paradigms like 3D Touch are only discoverable if they behave consistently. All of these commenters are right: 3D Touch lacks that consistency, so it becomes a game of trying its functionality blindly and hoping for the best.​

Peeking seems like a demo feature because loading the content is so much slower than going back from a normal tap. I love the idea of shortcuts—using 3D Touch as a tap modifier, like Option-clicking on the Mac—but in practice I have not found myself ever using them. I do use the multitasking gesture most of the time, and I miss it on my iPad mini. 3D Touch is very useful for cursor movement, but after about six months I still can’t invoke it reliably. It works perhaps 80% of the time, but when it doesn’t work it’s worse than the old press-and-wait.

Update (2016-04-14): Ben Brooks (via Nick Heer):
3D Touch is too new to judge and this sentiment [for consolidation] (shared by many) seems more like a lack of being open minded to the new technology, than it does a problem with the technology.​

Update (2016-04-15): Nick Heer:
In some ways, I wish Apple shipped a lesser amount of 3D Touch functionality and simply waited to see how developers would interpret it. What they have shipped ultimately feels right, more or less, though.​

Edit: I'd rather that the 3D Touching an app icon allow you to peek/pop inside the app (or peek at the app widget) instead of/in addition to the list of actions to launch. But then again I think iOS's grid of icons for the homescreen is fundamentally flawed and should be replaced already

kinggroin

Banned

Its a little better with the 6p/5x but the real issue is the Nexus camera software. Regardless the device, it's just slow to get going. Though the 6 OG is notorious for taking waaaay too long to settle on a focus point, and by the time it does, the software "forgets" to take the picture.

I've complained about the state of Google camera for a while now. Shame too cause the HDR+ algorithm is probably the best among all smartphones not made by Apple.

5x on M + March update is much much better at getting a quick pic than the 6. There's lots of room for improvement but it's much better now. Motorola SUCKS at focusing.

I would be interested to see how well the 820 would do with Google's camera software plus the newer sensor. I bet it will be pretty good.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Tmobile Note 5 and S6 Edge plus were updated to Marshmallow today. This update has been so fucking awesome. Made my already awesome phone even smoother! Love it.

jwk94

moto-g4-plus-leak.jpg

Moto G4 and G4 Plus leaked specs:
Moto G Plus: 5.5in, 16 MP cam, 16 GB. 280 Euro. Moto G 4th Gen: 5.5in, 13 MP cam, 16 GB. 240 Euro. both black or white. available May. boom.

http://www.androidcentral.com/alleg...aks-reveal-fingerprint-sensor-redesigned-rear

I guess the Moto X 2016 is gonna be ugly too. RIP Motorola.

clav

If new phones rock back and forth like a baby cradle when placed on tables, then yeah engineering hasn't learned anything.

Moreche

Been using my nexus 6P for a week now after jumping over from an iPhone 6S and iPhones in general for about the last five years and all I can say is WOW!!!!
I'm absolutely loving this phone and now understand the appeal of android, warts and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom