• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If/when pressure sensitive displays become a thing on Android devices, Google needs to take a cue from Action Launcher. Put a tiny indicator in the corner of an icon to let the user know something else can be done.

maxresdefault.jpg

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
RAM management is so much better in marshmallow for the Note 5. It feels so weird not seeing apps in the recent apps not reloading now. lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
remember when Google explained why they removed the menu button?

that's the problem with 3D touch.

except there was only one menu button.
Well, kind of, not really. 3D touch can be intuitive, like pinch to zoom. It should be used when it feels right to push harder. Like video game buttons.

I think the tech is great and lots of potential. But it's being used poorly. Immature tech.

Well, kind of, not really. 3D touch can be intuitive, like pinch to zoom. It should be used when it feels right to push harder. Like video game buttons.

I think the tech is great and lots of potential. But it's being used poorly. Immature tech.

The only time when I push the screen intuitively harder, is when an app stops responding.

so... it should be used in mobile games with onscreen buttons?

In order to provide the most intuitive and consistent user experience

instead of just one menu button, the entire screen becomes a bunch of possible targets to press harder.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
oh, i get it now, sarcasm!

sorry, i thought you were serious before, but now that you went ahead and linked that video tutorial from that iPhoneHacksTV Youtube account, it clearly makes it obvious just how bewildering it really is.

is that what you're doing with 3.5mm too? good one, your secret's safe with me! ;)
Where's your 1950s IR blaster, bro

Noema

I'm curious about the innards of the new Moto Gs. I wonder if they'll put a 652 in the Plus model. Sell that for $300 with a nice chunky battery like the Moto X Play and youve got one hell of a midranger.

Otherwise they'll get eaten alive by Chinese entry level phones.

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody using a Motorola X Play and/or a Sandisk Ultra MicroSD Card?

The card is giving me a ton of troubles... I can't get it to read in the phone. It used to work most of the time but tonight it was giving me some errors so I decided to remove it and re-insert it and now it's not reading it at all...

It "checks it" when I insert it and then it says it's corrupted and it goes away... Shouldn't I be able to at least format it in the phone?

Groof

I don't get the hate for the new play icons. They look good.
New play music notification icon is slick too. Too bad the app itself still looks like shit

New play music notification icon is slick too. Too bad the app itself still looks like shit

I like the new icons as well. Still don't like the Play branding, though.

e: On an unrelated note, I just saw an unboxing video of the blue Nexus 5X and realized that it's not even completely blue, just the back cover. The frame is still black. What the fuck. The 5X has to be the epitome of boring hardware design.

62617_500.jpg

Hasney

The bugs? It's in Chrome and also very bad in Textra, my messaging app.

Yeah the bugs. No idea about Textra, but even Google Keyboard can be buggy in Chrome. Usually closing and re-opening the affected program cleans it up for me.

Willing to hear anyone elses keyboard suggestion (not Swype) too since I'm not dropping RSBrowser anytime soon, so I wouldn't mind a keyboard that's more stable with that.

this_guy

Yeah the bugs. No idea about Textra, but even Google Keyboard can be buggy in Chrome. Usually closing and re-opening the affected program cleans it up for me.

Willing to hear anyone elses keyboard suggestion (not Swype) too since I'm not dropping RSBrowser anytime soon, so I wouldn't mind a keyboard that's more stable with that.

I've been happy with Fleksy the past 6 months.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Is there a good alternative to Swiftkey? For whatever reason mine has been bugging out like crazy and it's unusable.

Mine has been acting up lately, too. I like Chrooma pretty well. One of the things that kept me on SwiftKey for so long is the fact that you can scale the keyboard down to take up less space on the screen. Chrooma is basically like Google Keyboard that allows you to do the same thing. I also like that you can set the color to be adaptive based on which app you're in.

This feels like Google keyboard, but with a few more options. I'm cool with that, since I've never had any issues with Google keyboard. Are there any hard upsides other than colors and thumb defaults?

Edit: never mind, I just hit the advanced options menu. Damn.

Broank

I use Fleksy and Texta, doesn't seem to be significantly buggy that I have noticed any more than the regular keyboard. Doesn't have swipe though if you like that.

I like them. The new folders folders in N are going to forever bug the hell out of me unless they improve them though.

Mindwipe

Nah, just take a look at the keyboard demo. It's slick and intuitive https://youtu.be/Ueh0WLaLxDI

It's slick and intuitive for expert users with good motor control sitting in an environment where their fingers aren't cold, there's nobody bumping into them and they are able to perfectly judge how hard they're going to press the screen.

It looks like a bloody nightmare for anyone outside of that group.

Mindwipe

There's so much junk on Android still. Google needs to clean it up as in destroy all the dead code and get rid of the useless gunk. Make the footprint smaller like what Apple did with iOS9

What's this got to do with Google? This is junk OEM code put in after Google's involvement with the OS.

Google needs to start trying to do something fundamental to make sure OEM junkware is always uninstallable, including non-visible apps. That would change things.

What's this got to do with Google? This is junk OEM code put in after Google's involvement with the OS.

Google needs to start trying to do something fundamental to make sure OEM junkware is always uninstallable, including non-visible apps. That would change things.

They could start with their own apps and let me uninstall Books, Movies, Music, Chrome, Drive, Cloud Print, Newsstand, Google+, Sheets and Slides.

Hasney

Damn, Chrooma looked cool, but has the same bug as Google Keyboard in RSBrowser and older Chromium based browsers. If RSBrowser ever gets fixed, I'm going with that one.

Noema

Swiftkey can be a tad bloated but I just love how I don't have to switch languages; it just detects what I'm typing and autocorrects accordingly. I switch between Spanish, German and English all the time and other keyboards feel plain awkward.

Do other keyboards do that? Might give them a shot if they do.

Thinking about going from a Moto G 2gen to Nexus 5x.

Some tempting Nexus 5x deals here.

Whats the general vibe os the 5x a few months later?

Hear it had some issues that might have been patched out?

Swiftkey can be a tad bloated but I just love how I don't have to switch languages; it just detects what I'm typing and autocorrects accordingly. I switch between Spanish, German and English all the time and other keyboards feel plain awkward.

Do other keyboards do that? Might give them a shot if they do.

I haven't switched to a different keyboard for the same reason. I really love how it handles multiple languages at the same time and it's usually still very spot on with its predictions.

I can't see myself switching to a different keyboard.

I use Google Drive, Keep, Chrome, Calendar, Music, and Photos every day of the week. They're the absolute opposite of bloat or junk.

I use OneDrive, which makes Drive redundant for me. Just because you get usage out of those apps, it doesn't mean they're not junk and bloat to others. Give me the option to wipe them from the system and it's fine.

I haven't switched to a different keyboard for the same reason. I really love how it handles multiple languages at the same time and it's usually still very spot on with its predictions.

I can't see myself switching to a different keyboard.

I use OneDrive, which makes Drive redundant for me. Just because you get usage out of those apps, it doesn't mean they're not junk and bloat to others. Give me the option to wipe them from the system and it's fine.

Drive is not redundant or bloat, its integrated into the operating system. Where do you think your backups are going?

Good isnt even as bad as IOS when it comes to 1st party apps.

Drive is not redundant or bloat, its integrated into the operating system. Where do you think your backups are going?

Good isnt even as bad as IOS when it comes to 1st party apps.

I disabled Drive, so tell me, where are my backups going? Again, I have no use for it and I don't need the app. It does the backups internally in the background and that's fine. Again, no app needed. It also doesn't excuse the same behavior for the other apps I mentioned.

It might just be because I am cheap, but I don't think any smartphone is worth $700+ especially an Android phone that is going to shave off half of its value in one year. I am amazed Samsung is seemingly doing well at that high of a price point, but I just do not think anybody else in the Android space could get away with it.

Honestly, even the iPhone just feels too expensive at the prices Apple commands, but since they sell as well as they have been I guess it works for them.

diaspora

It might just be because I am cheap, but I don't think any smartphone is worth $700+ especially an Android phone that is going to shave off half of its value in one year. I am amazed Samsung is seemingly doing well at that high of a price point, but I just do not think anybody else in the Android space could get away with it.

Honestly, even the iPhone just feels too expensive at the prices Apple commands, but since they sell as well as they have been I guess it works for them.

Part of how they get away with it is by releasing the GOAT camera back to back.

Megasoum

Banned
So I'm about to go crazy with all the Google Play music.

So, as mentioned in a previous post here yesterday, I had issues with the SD Card in my MotoXPlay. Turns out it's the card that was busted. I bought a new one and the phone recognized it right away.

So now that the new card is installed and formatted I started downloading my music in Google Play Music again. I set it up in the options to use external storage.

Now I've downloading for a while this afternoon. It's either super slow or just doesn't work... That thing is a real piece of shit when it comes time to download playlists... But anyway, downloading that stuff is one time deal so I'll just work through it.

The problem now is that if I look at my storage in the Android settings app, I can see that the mp3s are downloading to the SD card BUT the app is also taking 3+ gigs on my internal memory? Wtf

Arghhhhh I hate this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom