• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disabled Drive, so tell me, where are my backups going? Again, I have no use for it and I don't need the app. It does the backups internally in the background and that's fine. Again, no app needed. It also doesn't excuse the same behavior for the other apps I mentioned.

My point is the dependency on drive for the OS. Sure your backups still go there via play services or some other way even if you dont have drive installed. In the future the dependency will only increase ad you will probably need/want the app. Yes this doesnt exclude the other software you mentioned. If thats the kind of user you want to be maybe you should look at aosp or get a different phone os all together.

Part of owning Android is not just paying oems but paying google. OEMs can offer such cheap phones because android is free to them. Not being able to uninstall a few apps when you can pickup a nice Android phones for $200 bucks is a crazy thing to bitch about.

My point is the dependency on drive for the OS. Sure your backups still go there via play services or some other way even if you dont have drive installed. In the future the dependency will only increase ad you will probably need/want the app. Yes this doesnt exclude the other software you mentioned. If thats the kind of user you want to be maybe you should look at aosp or get a different phone os all together.

Part of owning Android is not just paying oems but paying google. OEMs can offer such cheap phones because android is free to them. Not being able to uninstall a few apps when you can pickup a nice Android phones for $200 bucks is a crazy thing to bitch about.

The argument was about bloat and I was trying to say that different people might perceive different things as bloat. And what you're saying can be applied to carrier bloat just as easily. After all, you could just buy an unlocked phone and use a different carrier that supports that phone.

The argument was about bloat and I was trying to say that different people might perceive different things as bloat. And what you're saying can be applied to carrier bloat just as easily. After all, you could just buy an unlocked phone and use a different carrier that supports that phone.

I don't agree, carrier bloat is different imo but i dont think we are going to agree so no point in debating further

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm going to Shanghai for a bit. Wonder if I can pick up a slick Huawei phone with Leica camera.

Damn, Chrooma looked cool, but has the same bug as Google Keyboard in RSBrowser and older Chromium based browsers. If RSBrowser ever gets fixed, I'm going with that one.
Late reply, but whatever. The CAF browser I use--TugaPower--doesn't have the keyboard issue anymore even though it's still based on older chromium versions. It's updated more often than the other browsers like RS.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm looking for a new phone - I've used iOS but unlocked iPhones are insanely expensive so I'm checking out android phones (Ting is my carrier). The Honor 5X looks cool, anyone here like it? $200 is a solid price point for me.

Noema

I'm looking for a new phone - I've used iOS but unlocked iPhones are insanely expensive so I'm checking out android phones (Ting is my carrier). The Honor 5X looks cool, anyone here like it? $200 is a solid price point for me.

It's a pretty good phone for the price. Also the Blu Life One X is a pretty good value.

Switch to Project Fi and get a 5x for $200 or get a 5x and cancel Fi for $230.

In fact Fi could be a better deal for you depending on your usage. It also includes T-Mobile in addition to Sprint so service would be better too.

If you do not mind the hassle of ordering and then cancelling Project Fi service the Nexus 5X at $200 is an unbeatable value.

superfly

I'm going to Shanghai for a bit. Wonder if I can pick up a slick Huawei phone with Leica camera.

The cameras on these phones are superb. I have tried them here in Shanghai in the Huawei stores. Should be easy to pick up while you're here.

Huawei really do a fine job with their hardware but their UI leaves a lot to be desired.

Have fun in Shanghai :)

Hasney

The cameras on these phones are superb. I have tried them here in Shanghai in the Huawei stores. Should be easy to pick up while you're here.

Huawei really do a fine job with their hardware but their UI leaves a lot to be desired.

Have fun in Shanghai :)

Kinda hoping they're doing the bigger Nexus again if HTC are doing the smaller one.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Leaked video of the Moto G4 (not the G4 Plus with the fingerprint scanner).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STvfIhY807g

It looks awful.

Hardware looks fine even if it's uninspiring.

The key is what's inside the generic looking box, and at what price.

You could nab the 5X for $239 the other day. Zenfone 2 still exists, and Zenfone 3 is coming. Blu has that phone for $150 that is sometimes on sale for $99.

Lots of competition in this space. Not to mention all of last year's models of everything are still out there, but on a discount as the 16 phone drops.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Meanwhile Chinese Manufacturer Leeca just announced their 2016 phones

The whole lineup axed the 3.5mm headphone port

LeEco-USB-Type-C-headphones.jpg

23qwerty

Bboy AJ hasn't seen that yet but is wondering why he's suddenly feeling really excited wherever he is.

luckily literally no other manufacturer is dumb enough to do what some no name manufacturer no one's ever heard of did

who the fuck is leeco, i'm sure everyone's gonna follow their lead Kappa fucking face no space

Mindwipe

Drive is not redundant or bloat, its integrated into the operating system. Where do you think your backups are going?

Even with Drive where the fuck are my backups going most of the time?

(Looks at device list and sees not a single game actually uses Drive to store cloud backups yet).

luckily literally no other manufacturer is dumb enough to do what some no name manufacturer no one's ever heard of did

who the fuck is leeco, i'm sure everyone's gonna follow their lead Kappa fucking face no space

It's just one of those preemptive moves from the manufacturers, to react to Apple rumors. Just so they can say "We did it before Apple!"

I still don't know what the advantage is of dropping the 3.5mm port, other than making phones even slimmer (which is stupid).

Ok. Advice please Android sages.

I want to get a Huawei P8Max.

My smartphone history:

iPhone 1 > 4S > 5S > Xperia Z3

Z3 has been ok, but I've never fully enjoyed the transition to Android, it just feels so fiddly to me (perhaps a particular problem with Sony's overlay UI or w/e?). Or perhaps it's just because I'm lazy and have never really organised the phone, UI, layout etc. according to my needs.

Anyway best phone I ever had in terms of feel was certainly he 4S...dat gorilla glass, which apparently is the feel that the P8Max has.

At the time I purchased the Z3 I was thinking about the Z Ultra, just wanted to have a huge phone for the sake of it, and for pulling it out like a big cock in front of Apple sheep with their 6/6S Plus'. So I decided to go for the Z3 instead, so this time round now I want to have that big phone cock experience with the Huwaei which even makes the Z Ultra look small. And it has far better modern specs than the Z Ultra.

So my main concern is whether a P9 Max is on the horizon, whether I should wait until my contract finishes in September (even having thoughts of going back to Apple lol).

I could get the P8 Max brand new for £150 ( inc. money saved by selling my Z3).

Everything I've researched on my own suggests the Huawei is a high end phone up there with all the others, but the price is just so low that I'm thinking there's some sort of catch.

longdi

Banned
Ok. Advice please Android sages.

I want to get a Huawei P8Max.

My smartphone history:

iPhone 1 > 4S > 5S > Xperia Z3

Z3 has been ok, but I've never fully enjoyed the transition to Android, it just feels so fiddly to me (perhaps a particular problem with Sony's overlay UI or w/e?). Or perhaps it's just because I'm lazy and have never really organised the phone, UI, layout etc. according to my needs.

Anyway best phone I ever had in terms of feel was certainly he 4S...dat gorilla glass, which apparently is the feel that the P8Max has.

At the time I purchased the Z3 I was thinking about the Z Ultra, just wanted to have a huge phone for the sake of it, and for pulling it out like a big cock in front of Apple sheep with their 6/6S Plus'. So I decided to go for the Z3 instead, so this time round now I want to have that big phone cock experience with the Huwaei which even makes the Z Ultra look small. And it has far better modern specs than the Z Ultra.

So my main concern is whether a P9 Max is on the horizon, whether I should wait until my contract finishes in September (even having thoughts of going back to Apple lol).

I could get the P8 Max brand new for £150 ( inc. money saved by selling my Z3).

Everything I've researched on my own suggests the Huawei is a high end phone up there with all the others, but the price is just so low that I'm thinking there's some sort of catch.

Huawei mate 8 4gb for you? It is a pretty good phone as long as you don't play intensive 3d games. And it is way more comfortable to bring around than z ultra

Huawei mate 8 4gb for you? It is a pretty good phone as long as you don't play intensive 3d games. And it is way more comfortable to bring around than z ultra

That's what it comes down to. The fear that the P8 Max is impossible to pocket unless in a jacket. Otherwise I'll have to get a manbag.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It's a pretty good phone for the price. Also the Blu Life One X is a pretty good value.

Switch to Project Fi and get a 5x for $200 or get a 5x and cancel Fi for $230.

In fact Fi could be a better deal for you depending on your usage. It also includes T-Mobile in addition to Sprint so service would be better too.

If you do not mind the hassle of ordering and then cancelling Project Fi service the Nexus 5X at $200 is an unbeatable value.

I'm taking a look at project fi now, but it's a tad bit more expensive than Ting (I pay an average of around $18 a month for Ting - I only really text and use data occasionally, I'm on wi-fi most of the time).

The 5x looks really cool though. Same for the Blu Life One X. Either one is leagues better than my 4s.

I'm looking into Android Wear watches. I've noticed Huawei (sp) and Asus watches. What's really good for smart watches? Does anyone have any advice? I would NOT be using it for fitness related activity. A speaker would be nice but is not a deal breaker if not present. Please understand.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why would anyone even buy a Moto anymore? They give up on supporting phones after a few months and they can't even fulfill their own warranties: https://reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4eul0o/motorola_has_not_been_able_to_fulfill_a_warranty/

And it's not like their updates are fast either despite being "stock".

Also, making it bigger yet again... Smh.

Remember when this company had so much promise after the 2013 Moto X, lol.
Holy crap. I hope they go bankrupt.

Bboy AJ hasn't seen that yet but is wondering why he's suddenly feeling really excited wherever he is.
The future I've been predicting will soon become everyone's present.

I'm looking into Android Wear watches. I've noticed Huawei (sp) and Asus watches. What's really good for smart watches? Does anyone have any advice? I would NOT be using it for fitness related activity. A speaker would be nice but is not a deal breaker if not present. Please understand.
Get the Huawei.

daoster

How is Samsung roping in more US banks than Google?

Samsung is willing to bend over to banks terms, while Google is trying to negotiate to get Apple Pay's rate.

No idea why Samsung has been able to get more banks, but the fact that Android Pay is missing the largest bank in the US (Chase) is pretty friggin ridiculous.

I know Chase is trying to do their own shitty mobile payments system, but Samsung was still able to get them to work with Samsung Pay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom