• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be surprised if it isn't just a regular press release. I'm curious if they'll put it up that day or announce a date 2 weeks after that. It's google so it's hard to tell.

They got so unlucky when trying to announce Nexus phones in the past, I bet it will just be a quick thing. And probably like a week or 2 to get it after.

gcubed

Pulling away is hard. I'm ready for the Nexus announcements now. Wasn't it just a blog post last year? lol I don't even think it was announced ahead of time.

It's an actual announcement this year from what I can tell, think they are going to try NYC again, hopefully no mega hurricanes coming. Rumor also to preorder that day with shipping a few weeks later.

Also a rumored HTC watch that no one will care about.

I'll be surprised if it isn't just a regular press release. I'm curious if they'll put it up that day or announce a date 2 weeks after that. It's google so it's hard to tell.

Last year didn't they announce it and put it up for sale at the same exact time? I'm just hoping the Huawei is $450 or less. It really shouldn't be more based on the specs leaked so far. I'll cross my fingers. My OPO is still rock solid, but I have the itch to upgrade to something with band 12 support on T-Mo.

Last year didn't they announce it and put it up for sale at the same exact time? I'm just hoping the Huawei is $450 or less. It really shouldn't be more based on the specs leaked so far. I'll cross my fingers. My OPO is still rock solid, but I have the itch to upgrade to something with band 12 support on T-Mo.

Any band 12 phone you will want will likely have to come from T-Mo. There was an article a few months ago about unlocked devices removing band 12 because it doesn't play nicely with T-Mo's VOLTE.

Any band 12 phone you will want will likely have to come from T-Mo. There was an article a few months ago about unlocked devices removing band 12 because it doesn't play nicely with T-Mo's VOLTE.

Yeah I read that, but apparently unlocked phones can still be certified. Moto has stated the Pure will be getting band 12 with a software update in the future and OP2 has it currently and unsanctioned by T-Mo right now, but won't work with the 911 stuff from what I've read if you ever need help. I would imagine the Nexus would be a device that would get certification, but I guess you never know if they will want to foot the bill for certification.

Yeah I read that, but apparently unlocked phones can still be certified. Moto has stated the Pure will be getting band 12 with a software update in the future and OP2 has it currently and unsanctioned by T-Mo right now, but won't work with the 911 stuff from what I've read if you ever need help. I would imagine the Nexus would be a device that would get certification, but I guess you never know if they will want to foot the bill for certification.

Yea I forgot T-Mo usually carries the Nexus devices so they should be ok.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope it's just a press release. Tech companies can't put together a good keynote now. Apple used to be the exception but their WWDC was absolutely horrible. At least the iPhone event went alright.

Google can't do it. They have like, one good presenter and he probably won't headline. Just give us the news and go back to the mines to work on Hangouts.

Having more registers in the 64bit architecture helps with app performance quite a bit even if you are not taking advantage of larger memory space.

We haven't really seen that so far with ARM64. Most ARM64 implementations don't really seem to run the apps faster at all. The reason Exynos 7420 is a such a beast is actually because of the increased core frequencies made possible with 14nm node and also the faster storage of UFS 2.0 makes the device feel much faster in ways the benchmarks don't necessarily reflect.

x86-64 didn't result in a revolution in execution performance either over x86.

giga

We haven't really seen that so far with ARM64. Most ARM64 implementations don't really seem to run the apps faster at all. The reason Exynos 7420 is a such a beast is actually because of the increased core frequencies made possible with 14nm node and also the faster storage of UFS 2.0 makes the device feel much faster in ways the benchmarks don't necessarily reflect.

The A7 maintained the same clock rate as the A6 but still performed twice as fast. Anandtech said it wasn't completely because of 64 bit, but it did help.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/4

Nope. Nexus 5 was the only one on sale the same day as the announcement. The others had a lag.

Gotcha. How long was the lag between the Nexus 4 announcement and sale? All I remember about that is how much of a clusterfuck the ordering process was.

Didn't order a Nexus 6 last year, so I have no memory of that whatsoever.

RuGalz

Write some cpu intensive game and try running it in 32bit vs 64bit and you can tell the difference. It's not order of magnitude difference but notable.

Gotcha. How long was the lag between the Nexus 4 announcement and sale? All I remember about that is how much of a clusterfuck the ordering process was.

Didn't order a Nexus 6 last year, so I have no memory of that whatsoever.

Two weeks. N4 was announced October 29th and on sale/released November 13th.

N5 announced on Halloween and on sale the same day.

Nexus 6 was announced on October 15, 2014, available for preorder two weeks later on October 29, 2014, and released mid-November.

Eeeh, plenty of room for the battery to disappoint still.

Disappointment is subjective. It will objectively perform better than the Nexus 5 just based on having more mAh and a more efficient processor. Whether or not it disappoints you will depend on what your expectations beyond that are.

Reckoner

Two weeks. N4 was announced October 29th and on sale November 13th.

N5 announced on Halloween and on sale the same day.

Nexus 6 was announced on October 15, 2014, available for preorder two weeks later on October 29, 2014, and released mid-November.

Disappointment is subjective. It will objectively perform better than the Nexus 5 just based on having more mAh and a more efficient processor. Whether or not it disappoints you will depend on what your expectations beyond that are.

"released"

I only got mine delivered in January.

On paper the new nexus 5 is solid. It will only be ruined if the price is something insane.

It's solid for the price of 349 with 16GB and only recommendable for 399, if you really absolutely need a new phone right now.

It's not a huge difference, but being more close to 400 for a non-essential stop-gap upgrade gets rid of that impulse buy urge.

gcubed

The Nexus 5 will have a 810 without a heatpipe solution like Sony.

That's all there is to know.

It actually has an 808, not an 810.

I can recommend the zenpad now that I got the update to disable two pages worth of shit battery sucking, performance killing apps.

I just need a phone with killer battery that isn't gimped in other ways ugh. By the time I get off public transportation and am halfway through a day, messaging alone got me keeping keeping an eye on that battery life.

Looks like I'll have to wait for 2016 devices for a chance at this though since we already know the phones left for the year wont have that.

Reckoner

It actually has an 808, not an 810.

I can recommend the zenpad now that I got the update to disable two pages worth of shit battery sucking, performance killing apps.

Hope it doesn't lag like the Moto X Pure, then. It shouldn't, since it's rumored it will have a 1080p. We'll see.

I just need a phone with killer battery that isn't gimped in other ways ugh. By the time I get off public transportation and am halfway through a day, messaging alone got me keeping keeping an eye on that battery life.

Looks like I'll have to wait for 2016 devices for a chance at this though since we already know the phones left for the year wont have that.

Just get an external battery and go with the phone that pleases you the most. If you go to school or work, you have those times when you can easily leave your phone getting a bit of extra juice.

This may be the wrong place but I'm considering buying a Sony Bravia (W750 series) that has Android TV built into it.

Just wondering how the OS is performing at this stage. I heard the earlier builds had some issues with slow network connections and as I'd be streaming a lot of stuff from my NAS using Kodi and I don't want to get caught out. Any advice from anyone using Android TV, or better yet, that sony set, would be appreciated.

Thanks

gcubed

Most phones aren't going to handle that use case. I used to do the exact same dance for an hour each morning, the only problem was the way home. I bought a portable charger

Wreav

Banned
This may be the wrong place but I'm considering buying a Sony Bravia (W750 series) that has Android TV built into it.

Just wondering how the OS is performing at this stage. I heard the earlier builds had some issues with slow network connections and as I'd be streaming a lot of stuff from my NAS using Kodi and I don't want to get caught out. Any advice from anyone using Android TV, or better yet, that sony set, would be appreciated.

Thanks

You're better off buying a TV that suits your TV/display needs first, then adding a Chromecast or Apple TV to it.

Groof

Most phones aren't going to handle that use case. I used to do the exact same dance for an hour each morning, the only problem was the way home. I bought a portable charger
This is where I am at right now. That portable battery is a life saver.

RuGalz

Thanks

I've been looking at the Sony w800c set. From what I have seen, it sounds like it's better to just get a dedicated Android TV device like Nvidia Shield or a rooted Amazon Fire TV especially if your purpose is to run Kodi. Generally the CPU built into these TVs aren't fast enough to do a good job with HD video.

AndyD

aka andydumi

I guess I don't understand what the usage is in that half day. I guess if you stream video for an hour or more on a train on 3/4G I can maybe see it, but that's going to be very hard to compensate for with any phone.

Hope it doesn't lag like the Moto X Pure, then. It shouldn't, since it's rumored it will have a 1080p. We'll see.

Just get an external battery and go with the phone that pleases you the most. If you go to school or work, you have those times when you can easily leave your phone getting a bit of extra juice.

I take enough stuff with me for work, really trying to reduce the amount of stuff I carry not increase. I'm not expecting it to last through my day of non stop messaging and public transportation easily. My iphone 6 lasts the day. But I'd like it to last the day....easier. I restrain myself throughout the day to make sure it doesn't drop toooooo low.

Need some buffer room.

Reckoner

I take enough stuff with me for work, really trying to reduce the amount of stuff I carry not increase. I'm not expecting it to last through my day of non stop messaging and public transportation easily. My iphone 6 lasts the day. But I'd like it to last the day....easier. I restrain myself throughout the day to make sure it doesn't drop toooooo low.

Need some buffer room.

I remember when I had my iPhone 5 that when I had evening lessons at uni I always had to charge it on the computer or I wouldn't have battery left to listen to my songs during the bus ride back home. It was a bit painful. Then I got an external battery which I always carry on my backpack. I have to carry a backpack anyway, so might as well carry an external battery.

I've been looking at the Sony w800c set. From what I have seen, it sounds like it's better to just get a dedicated Android TV device like Nvidia Shield or a rooted Amazon Fire TV especially if your purpose is to run Kodi. Generally the CPU built into these TVs aren't fast enough to do a good job with HD video.

Thats what I was reading too. Damn.

My quest to rid myself of under-the-tv boxes will continue......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom