• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

all i want is a fucking wall adapter with a usb c plug.

and i swear if someone links me to amazon.com i'll crush you under my creps

z3phon

I just started using google music, got a quick question about the radio/station feature. I thought it would just play random songs based on the station I selected but I've been hearing a lot of the same songs repeating.

Also is the spotify radio and google music radio basically the samething?

Noema

It's a good phone for the price now ($420 for 32GB was just...no) and I'm sure that a lot of the initial bugs have been ironed out (specially with the camera UX?), but no software tweaks will ever fix the fact that the SD808 throttles like crazy. That's just the nature of the beast.

Anandtech said:
Snapdragon 808 can only keep its two A57 cores at their peak frequency for two minutes before throttling both down to 633MHz and putting the A53s up to their peak 1.44GHz. After twelve minutes the A57s are just shut off entirely, and you're left with a cluster of 4 A53 cores at 1.44GHz

It's still a good phone, with a great camera, at a good price, and also a Nexus which is an added value. Maybe a custom kernel with a custom CPU governor could improve performance by altering throttling behavior but it'd have to do so at the expense of battery, stability, or overall lifespan of the hardware.

3phemeral

Google Music Podcasts addition isn't bad at all. Definitely lacking in options in terms of your control of download count (you an only auto-download the previous 3 episodes and arrange them from oldest>newest or vice versa) but it's not a bad start. Definitely convenient having it bundled with my primary music player.

What I'm wondering is if it'll ignore certain feeds that seem to break Beyond Pod. Many times I'll finish an episode and it'll auto-play the next, only for nothing to happen. From what I've read, this is Beyond Pod pulling an RSFeed that's not an actual audio file, so it constantly reads "playback error" and doesn't auto skip.

It's a good phone for the price now ($420 for 32GB was just...no) and I'm sure that a lot of the initial bugs have been ironed out (specially with the camera UX?), but no software tweaks will ever fix the fact that the SD808 throttles like crazy. That's just the nature of the beast.

It's still a good phone, with a great camera, at a good price, and also a Nexus which is an added value. Maybe a custom kernel with a custom CPU governor could improve performance by altering throttling behavior but it'd have to do so at the expense of battery, stability, or overall lifespan of the hardware.

That quote is out of date and may or may not still be accurate. Regardless, Google has made kernal changes already (march update) so frequency without a workload is higher. This is part of the reason why the 5x performs much better when it needs to handle random user input now. It also performs better after extended chrome browsing for me.

Also could be why people like me feel battery is slightly worse but that hasn't been proven.

Either way performance is WAY better now on M and any old complaints of performance are no longer valid.

kharma45

Possibly an easy question to answer. In the Google Calendar app, can I add my Outlook/Hotmail calendar or am I stuck with just having my Google account synced to it?

Ty4on

I'd like to see a custom kernel that underclocks and undervolts a phone. It might help sustained performance in everyday use because as performance increases linearly, power and heat will increase exponentially. Maybe cap the A57s at ~1.5Ghz.

Pachimari

So my iPhone 6 completely broke and I have to look for a new phone. Preferably a cheap one.

I am currently looking at the Xiaomi Mi 4i as I am in Asia on vacation.

What do you think about that phone?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Lnkn52

I love the new app icons
Especially when they're grouped

FftzOD9.png

jetsetrez

Ugh, I got the podcasts update (says so in the update details), but no podcasts in the app.. This is the second update to GPM since they said podcasts were rolling out where I've not gotten them. :(

yogloo

They don't have this anywhere..

They do have a lot of Asus and Oppo phones here though. So my candidates so far are:

- Huawei P9
- Xiaomi Mi 4i
- Asus Zenfone Laser 2 (but this one sucks, any good Asus phone out there?)
Mi5 dude. It's much better than mi4i. Just get the lower clocked one if you are concerned about budget.

jwk94

all i want is a fucking wall adapter with a usb c plug.

and i swear if someone links me to amazon.com i'll crush you under my creps
I'm confused, why can't you just connect it to any old wall adapter? Your USB c cable isn't c on both sides is it?

So Quick Charge 3.0 is violating some kind of spec now? Fuck, I guess that means even a possible 2016 Nexus will not have it.

I just want to charge my phone fast.

Hasney

So Quick Charge 3.0 is violating some kind of spec now? Fuck, I guess that means even a possible 2016 Nexus will not have it.

I just want to charge my phone fast.

It's not really needed. The standard USB Type C spec charges pretty fast and I believe that it's consistent throughout the battery rather than the Quick Charge being quick at the start and slowing down as it fills.

Going from Nexus 6 to 6P, I didn't realise it didn't have Quick Charge. It's not like going from my Galaxy S4 to Nexus 6 where I noticed it immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom