• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
old adapters have usb a plugs. i want usb c plug. the one on the google store is a fixed cable.
6P has non fixed cable C-C adapter.

They don't have this anywhere..

They do have a lot of Asus and Oppo phones here though. So my candidates so far are:

- Huawei P9
- Xiaomi Mi 4i
- Asus Zenfone Laser 2 (but this one sucks, any good Asus phone out there?)
China has the P9.

tzare

p9 lite finally has a release date, may in Euroland, 299€

This or nexus 5x for my wife?
Her s4 works well but she would like a similar sized phone, specs should be okay, she only plays candy crush, and Fingerprint scanner is a must. Also decent battery life is important, er S4, SD800+ 2600mAh is okay but 2 years old battery starting to age

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think it's time to upgrade my Note 4. I want a more pure Android experience. Any suggestions?

E: I'm in the US and on AT&T, but I'd rather not sign a contract with Next.

Hasney

Word. I see they have a $50 off sale right now? I'm not seeing it when I look at the various models, though. Is there a catch/stipulation?

Not sure, I'm in the UK, but from a quick search it seems to be at certain retailers. If you go to B&H, they have $50 off right now, will give you a $50 gift card and you get a, uh, selfie stick.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think it's time to upgrade my Note 4. I want a more pure Android experience. Any suggestions?

E: I'm in the US and on AT&T, but I'd rather not sign a contract with Next.

6P is your only option.*

*That being said if your Note 4 is still good I wouldn't get the 6P. It's an upgrade, but you'd get a bigger upgrade if you wait for this year's Nexus. Considering you have the 805 chipset a jump to the 6P's 810 isn't really a big upgrade.

I'd wait it out. Set cash aside now. Then jump in on this year's Nexus day 1.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
He's saying you should wait for the Note 6 later this year.

Ooooooh...

I don't want another Note. I had a Nexus 5 and loved it. I went to a Note 4 thinking I'd love the stylus and whatnot (which I do, but not enough to go with another Note). Unless they fucked up the 6p, I feel like the Nexus phones tend to just run infinitely smoother than any other Android device since they are a pure Android experience and not plastered with manufacturer "extras".

Why do apps keep getting moved back onto my system memory after I've transferred them over to my SD card.

Every few days my internal storage is suddenly full again.

What would you guys say is the best Android phone for someone switching from iPhone? I'm looking for something that has a nice clean industrial design, as stock as possible, and just makes sense as a phone without all the fiddly bits. I don't care about a replaceable battery, expandable storage, stuff like that.

Dobsie

Shit I never realised how useful the Google calendar app is, I can just start typing the name of a customer I need to visit and it will automatically find it and add a map to the appointment with directions. Adding attachments is a game changer for me too, it's just a shame there's no way of adding attachments from a windows machine and have it sync with the Google calendar. (Without using the crappy webpage)
It'd be really cool if Google developed an app for windows 10 that's on par with the android app.
Alternatively, are there any windows calendar apps that will sync my Google account and let me add attachments?

Pachimari

How do I see which bands my country supports? It would be unfortunate if I buy a phone here in Asia and then it doesn't work when I get back home to Scandinavia.

What would you guys say is the best Android phone for someone switching from iPhone? I'm looking for something that has a nice clean industrial design, as stock as possible, and just makes sense as a phone without all the fiddly bits. I don't care about a replaceable battery, expandable storage, stuff like that.

HTC 10 now or if you want to wait get the new Nexus coming (Nexus will give you the best software experience)

Talon

Shit I never realised how useful the Google calendar app is, I can just start typing the name of a customer I need to visit and it will automatically find it and add a map to the appointment with directions. Adding attachments is a game changer for me too, it's just a shame there's no way of adding attachments from a windows machine and have it sync with the Google calendar. (Without using the crappy webpage)
It'd be really cool if Google developed an app for windows 10 that's on par with the android app.
Alternatively, are there any windows calendar apps that will sync my Google account and let me add attachments?
Crappy webpage? It's a webapp, and Google Calendar works pretty damn well.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I don't like having to go through a browser to upload files, plus the ui isn't very in keeping with their material design.

All the webservices are getting more material design soon supposedly. But the web interface works fine. Even better if you just attach things that in Drive.

I just don't see Google building too deep for W10. It just does not seem like MS would allow it for some reason.

GS7 right now. IF you want something funky get the G5 but I know most people won't agree with that.

GS7 right now. IF you want something funky get the G5 but I know most people won't agree with that.

He specifically said he didn't want anything complicated, fidly, or special extras and you suggested the opposite. No offense.

HTC 10 or Nexus falls much more inline with what he's looking for.

Podcasts now available on Google Play Music.

And I bought Pocket Casts not 72 hours ago.

Still, really happy with that one, and I'm not finished with migrating things over to Play anyway. I'll most certainly get my $4 worth.

Little late, but thanks for the recommendations everybody.

He specifically said he didn't want anything complicated or fidly and you suggested the opposite. No offense.
he also said as stock as possible and that aint it either lol

if you don't mind huge ass phones I guess it's the nexus 6p

he also said as stock as possible and that aint it either lol

if you don't mind huge ass phones I guess it's the nexus 6p

Yeah I was like what? Lol. Honestly I try to stay away from suggesting phones with the 810 at this point. It's not efficient and I fear it's not going to hold up down the road.

Yeah I was like what? Lol. Honestly I try to stay away from suggesting phones with the 810 at this point. It's not efficient and I fear it's not going to hold up down the road.
pretty much

honestly, IMO as someone who has switched from android to iphone and iphone to android 10 times already, there is no "good switch". You're going to have to put up with something that you're not used to or dislike or generally sucks. And that's not even an iphone is so great comment, it's just that android phones are segmented. Hard to get that total package.

I have? It's no more funky than an HTC device. In fact I would say it's probably more straightforward than an HTC device minus the 10 (which I obviously have not used).

Funky was not part of the conversation. That's just a term you used.

You need to catch up on the HTC 10 because HTC stripped out all their apps and made it closer to stock. It also has a bloat free unlocked model which the GS7 does not have.

There is literally no comparison with the shit Samsung is forcing on their users.

For example when has HTC ever included two voice assistants? Never. That's the crap you get with Samsung.

I learned very fast after I bought my mom a galaxy s6 that it was a huge mistake. She calls me with questions way more than she used to with her 1st gen Moto G.

You want to babysit an Android user or get them to go buy Apple next? Suggest them a Samsung.

Im only suggesting Nexus or close to stock from here on out. With Motorola dropping the ball huge lately it's looking like HTC has become the next best option after Nexus.

diaspora

I learned very fast after I bought my mom a galaxy s6 that it was a huge mistake. She calls me with questions way more than she used to with her 1st gen Moto G.

You want to babysit an Android user or get them to go buy Apple next? Suggest them a Samsung.

Im only suggesting Nexus or close to stock from here on out.

Oh shit folks, we've got a definitive source here. As ridiculously late Samsung's updates are most are better off with the GOAT camera and additional features.

diaspora

Yeah because the difference isn't obvious regardless of my opinion. One phone isfull of bloat, duplicate apps and features while the other isn't. It's not fucking rocket science.

Having additional features and redundant apps doesn't qualify as complications, no. How's the split screen functionality on stock at the moment?

Having additional features and redundant apps doesn't qualify as complications, no. How's the split screen functionality on stock at the moment?

Yes it does. You clearly know nothing about the needs of the general (non geek) population or good user experience. S-Voice for example is not an additional feature. It's a duplicate feature and it's a disaster for the end user experience.

On a Samsung when the screen is off you talk to s-voice. When the screen is on you talk to Google. Lol

How are you people even debating this?

diaspora

Yes it does. You clearly know nothing about the needs of the general (non geek) population or good user experience. S-Voice for example is not an additional feature. It's a duplicate feature and it's a disaster for the end user experience.

Samsung does being Android's market leader. S-Voice operates as it should, it's a redundancy but not one that over-complicates the user experience.

Completely Anecdotal. I used the M9 last year and it was my daily driver for a good chunk of time so yeah don't tell me what I do or don't know. They are both easy for me to use. Can I say one is easier than the other? Probably not.

And you realize HTC has a ton of duplicate apps? This year it sounds like they're dumping some of them, but you can't tell me they are not convoluted pre HTC 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom