• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuGalz

Thats what I was reading too. Damn.

My quest to rid myself of under-the-tv boxes will continue......

IMO, it's better to keep it as separate box since SmartTV interface is pretty janky at best, you have yet another component that can break in the TV, and software update is questionable. Many devices are small enough you could just tape it to the back of the TV and BT remote works without line of sight. The only part that intrigues me as part of the built-in AndroidTV is being able to cast to the screen without having to change input.

Salsa

question for me and a bud who's been asking me about the moto;

where exactly did you guys feel 1gb of RAM was lacking / not enough?

home screen redraws tab reloading etc or what

Salsa

kinda related; reports all over reddit and other places that the new rollout for 5.1 on the 2nd Moto G is bricking them :/

Saiyan-Rox

Still make a good phone for the price. Just need to dump their Oxygen software on the 2 and flash a Cyanogen custom rom. I'm sure their phone has ois, but their software doesn't enable it.

Cyanogen can't use the scanner though until they get Marshmallow which is the downside. Oh and the alert slider too might be tricky to get working.

But as soon as cyanogen takes off for it I'll probably flash to it yeah but that's if I even have the phone still by that time.

The company is starting to piss me off and their lies about how the invite system works and in general is appalling.

Maiar_m

Poor people talk. Those with the least to spend often spend a lot of time justifying their bad purchases.

You're vile and I wish you a painful early death. It seems compassion is for the poor too, and I'm doing fine, sorry.

If you're joking, you still suck.

Meanwhile, it seems the Huawei Nexus still only has 3GB RAM. Bit disappointing for a huge device, I feel the only reason I'd trade off pocket comfort is huge specs. 3GB seems minimal.

Wreav

Banned
You're vile and I wish you a painful early death. It seems compassion is for the poor too, and I'm doing fine, sorry.

I'm here to love you all, no matter your condition, and show you that Steve's death served as the iWay to heaven.

Mother-Teresa.jpg

Cyanogen can't use the scanner though until they get Marshmallow which is the downside. Oh and the alert slider too might be tricky to get working.

But as soon as cyanogen takes off for it I'll probably flash to it yeah but that's if I even have the phone still by that time.

The company is starting to piss me off and their lies about how the invite system works and in general is appalling.

Yeah the company is annoying. The phones are pretty good to make a profit on though. I got another OP2 coming and should be able to clear another $50-$100 atleast.

No Love

Banned
Poor people talk. Those with the least to spend often spend a lot of time justifying their bad purchases.

lol

Meanwhile, it seems the Huawei Nexus still only has 3GB RAM. Bit disappointing for a huge device, I feel the only reason I'd trade off pocket comfort is huge specs. 3GB seems minimal.

Will you ever actually use 3GB of RAM before the point in the future (probably next year) where you will get a 4-6GB phone upgrade anyways?

Wreav

Banned
The "only 3gb of RAM" comment made me chuckle. We've got Atom based W10 sticks here at work with 2gb of RAM running full Windows more smoothly than some OEM Android phones with 3-4gb of RAM.

I guess it always comes back to Java.

Wreav

Banned
Artem debunked the OP2 OIS issue.

I just tested mine, and here's what I found:

- OIS is actually there. The camera module does move around when I move the phone. It's a hardware feature, and it's there.

- Compared to OPO, OP2 is definitely taking much smoother video. It's immediately obvious.

- OnePlus must not have enabled the right flag in the software where all the system info apps are reading from for some reason.

- The OIS itself is not as good/efficient as the one Samsung uses, as evident from the video. But yeah, it's there.

Ryan Whitwam will be updating the story (which alluded that OIS might still be there, just not as effective) with this conclusion.

On a related note, I wish OnePlus didn't cut off all communications like they did.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
He misses them like Whitney misses Bobby.

Jzero

I think I might be done with Motorola for next gen devices. My Moto 360 glass back cover fell off from taking it to work + the gym and my Nexus 6 came with defective speakers (I don't know why I never tried to get a replacement 10 months ago). I'll probably go Huawei Watch + Huawei Nexus this year.

Are Huawei devices usually not shit?

Maiar_m

lol

Will you ever actually use 3GB of RAM before the point in the future (probably next year) where you will get a 4-6GB phone upgrade anyways?
Yeah I feel like as the websites I build and browse request more and more, as I rely more and more on multitasking there can't be too much ram. Plus I'm not into the every year upgrade trip. It's wasteful, not even budget-wise, it's just more junk to pad my ego with. Still, it's true that better software writing and overall architecture would be preferable anyways. I guess I was just trying to even consider a reason for massive phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom