• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
snapdragon_x12lte_features_inline.png

Quick Charge 3.0 sounds beast as well.

Quick Charge 3.0 does not seem like it will disappoint us - the manufacturer says the new rendition of its tech charges up to twice as fast as Quick Charge 1.0 and 27% faster than Quick Charge 2.0. What does this mean, exactly? Simply put, you will be able your device's battery level from 0% to 80% in roughly 35 minutes.

Quick Charge 3.0 is also 38% more efficient and "reduces power dissipation by up to 45%" when you pit it against its predecessor. But speedy charging is not the only highlight of Qualcomm's new charging tech. It's also the first technology of its kind that supports INOV (Intelligent Negotiation for Optimum Voltage), allowing the device equipped with it to determine the exact power level to draw for optimal power transfer to the battery. The voltage steps of said adjustments are vastly superior to the ones of Quick Charge 2.0 - while the latter can charge your phone at either 5V, 9V, 12V, or 20V, Quick Charge 3.0 allows for incremental 200mV steps between 3.6V and 20V, paving the way for more flexibility.

Quick Charge 3.0 will be backwards compatible with its previous versions and different charging connectors, most notably USB Type-C. The nifty new version of the charging tech will first appear on a whole squad of Snapdragon chipsets, like the upcoming 820, 620, 618, 617, and 430.

QC 3.0 sounds great.

----

Well I've lasted two years with this S4, so I'll push it to a third. I'm not upgrading until phones with the 820 are out and it's confirmed to not be a portable heater. I hope Qualcomm still plans on using their 3d fingerprint scanning tech next year too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Old, but anyone leave on the default Chrome setting where tabs open as new apps? Maybe I'm just not used to it, but man, what a terrible idea.
New tabs as apps is so much better. Going back is primitive.

Hasney

What's Smart Wifi Calling?

It's smarter than your average WiFi calling, I'll tell you that now.

For serious version:

For starters, the X12 LTE modem is designed to choose automatically between LTE and Wi-Fi, depending on signal quality, end-to-end speed, and Internet reachability. (Again, consult the “Appendix for Nerds” at the end if you want to know how it all works).

These smarts to choose between LTE and Wi-Fi really come in handy with Wi-Fi calling. Where the X10 LTE in Snapdragon 810 checked only for Wi-Fi signal strength before switching, the X12 LTE is engineered to first check all the factors listed above, to make sure that you’ll have a clear, high quality call over Wi-Fi. And if things deteriorate (for example, if congestion reduces speed on a public Wi-Fi hotspot), it’s engineered to switch your call back to the safety of LTE—all without dropping the call. Brilliant.

The reason I don't mind getting a nexus 5-2 rather than waiting is realistically a phone carrying the 820 that I actually want won't come out until late next year (might be a nexus or a moto phone).

The ONLY phone that could come out earlier that I might have any interest in is the S7 if they do a 180 on the battery and put a huge one in and go back to being slightly thicker. I'm not going to want LGs phone no matter what. I don't really have any interest in HTC at all. And that's about it for the first half lol.

kami_sama

No chance. The Nexus phones are probably already packaged and ready to be shipped, if the end of September release is legit.

Also, the 820 does sound great, especially the quick charge. Of course, by the time it hits most devices, we will be fapping over the 830.

I would be so sure. We didn't knew anything about of the 820 until the 810 was released.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Alright, looks like next year will be a great year. Quick charge. It'll be a couple more years minimum until Android catches up to 3D Touch. No, Huawei isn't even close to Apple's implementation.

Alright, looks like next year will be a great year. Quick charge. It'll be a couple more years minimum until Android catches up to 3D Touch. No, Huawei isn't even close to Apple's implementation.

I still don't see the difference between a long press and a force touch.

Maiar_m

Sad but true, the videos make it look really half-assed software and hardware-wise. Still, can't blame them for trying: the only way android can stop playing catch-up with apple is if OEMs skin and bring innovative features to an otherwise "shy" OS.

S7 might offer it next year in a more refined way though, which can be worrisome because it'll be a touchwiz overlay, which like many others I've never found attractive, but again it's a step in the right direction. Stock Android has its limits.

So yeah, I agree with you for once. Two years seems like the amount of time it'll take for stock android phones to land with decent force touch interactions and good hardware. It's also a good motivation to look at non-stock devices for once.

There's multiple layers. Pressing it through one layer does one thing and pressing it harder does another thing. A long press is amateur hour in comparison when looking at the tech and implementation.

No, I understand how it works. That's clear to me. But none of the demos I've seen couldn't have been done with a long press + holding. I really don't see how applying pressure to the screen is "so much more direct and natural" and makes using the phone "better than ever".

giga

I still don't see the difference between a long press and a force touch.
Not only does the software implementation look far better, but the hardware to implement haptics via the taptic engine actually seems competent. And long presses suck because you're forced to wait. This is instant.

daoster

Would it be too much to hope that LG copies Apple and puts NFC on the top, instead of in the bottom for nexus? Works better for me

Quasar

No, I understand how it works. That's clear to me. But none of the demos I've seen couldn't have been done with a long press + holding. I really don't see how applying pressure to the screen is "so much more direct and natural" and makes using the phone "better than ever".

Certainly I can't help but look puzzled at the excitement at what looks like right clicking on a phone.

Ty4on

That's because they took it slow in the demos to show what was going on.
Long pressing everything is so painfully slow if I want to get stuff done. Opening five new tabs on my computer is faster than opening one on an Android device. Now there's a button for that like I have on my computer.
Certainly I can't be help look puzzled at the excitement at what looks like right clicking on a phone.
And third/middle click. I'm handicapped on a computer without three mouse buttons.

Blackhead

Redarse

the only way android can stop playing catch-up with apple is if OEMs skin and bring innovative features to an otherwise "shy" OS.

S7 might offer it next year in a more refined way though, which can be worrisome because it'll be a touchwiz overlay, which like many others I've never found attractive, but again it's a step in the right direction. Stock Android has its limits.

So yeah, I agree with you for once. Two years seems like the amount of time it'll take for stock android phones to land with decent force touch interactions and good hardware. It's also a good motivation to look at non-stock devices for once.

Lol, wut?

iOS was already falling behind 'stock Android' and 3D Touch is Apple's attempt to bring it back to par.

I don't care for Touchwiz at all but Samsung did all Airview two years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXIyYni4_-M

that's the same quick peak UI everybody was calling a gimmick that is now being wanked over because Apple is offering it in iOS9.

I'll hold judgement until I play with an iPhone 6s myself to see if Apple nails the UX but goddam it's embarrassing to see supposed smartphone experts that don't know the UI innovations that's been available on Android for a long while now.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Tim Culpan Verified account
‏@tculpan

Price Target Zero
Berenberg cuts its valuation on HTC shares to NT$0.00. It's lost its scale and no interesting assets, analysts say

:|

I don't think you watched enough of the demos. One example off the top of my head was the quick peak into an app/email/text on the soft touch and then hard touching will actually open the app if you decide to do so.

There are lots more examples of why having multiple layers is a lot more seamless/better of an implementation.

it's ok...they have a hero phone coming soon.

edit: I can't believe you're comparing air view to 3d touch above lol. That's some garbage implementation. Not sure why people are fighting it. It's a good innovation from apple and when everyone copies the implementation we will be better off.

Reckoner

Lol, wut?

iOS was already falling behind 'stock Android' and 3D Touch is Apple's attempt to bring it back to par.

I don't care for Touchwiz at all but Samsung did all Airview two years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXIyYni4_-M

that's the same quick peak UI everybody was calling a gimmick that is now being wanked over because Apple is offering it in iOS9.

I'll hold judgement until I play with an iPhone 6s myself to see if Apple nails the UX but goddam it's embarrassing to see supposed smartphone experts that don't know the UI innovations that's been available on Android for a long while now.

Offering it way better designed and integrated in the UI. Apple may come last (lol really), but they usually nail it. This is one of those cases.

I don't think you watched enough of the demos. One example off the top of my head was the quick peak into an app/email/text on the soft touch and then hard touching will actually open the app if you decide to do so.

There are lots more examples of why having multiple layers is a lot more seamless/better of an implementation.

I've seen the keynote demo and it all seemed really gimmicky to me. Nothing that allows me to use my phone better and again, certainly not more natural. App shortcuts are great, but I've had that in Windows Phone few years ago. e: Not with the same implementation at all, but still.

The best thing I can see coming from this is better screen tech in general. Much like how multi-touch is kind of gimmicky (aside from pinch-to-zoom), but got us a lot more and better capacitive touch screens.

Blackhead

Redarse
Offering it way better designed and integrated in the UI. Apple may come last (lol really), but they usually nail it. This is one of those cases.

lol wut? You have an iPhone 6s already? I have force 3D touch on my Apple watch. It sucks, no better than a long press. But 3D touch UI is different on the phone so I'll wait to judge for myself. Frankly, since Forstall was forced out, Apple has been flopping on UI. I waited patiently for Apple to do third party keyboards, multitasking, a watch etc and get it right but their implementations are just not as good as the competition.

The main reason I'm keep going back to the Apple ecosystem is for OSX. I've tried the Surface Pro and the Chromebook Pixel but the Macbook still has the edge (primarily because of all the talented app developers). Now that iOS is catching up to Android, I can come back to the iPhone which has a simplified integration with my Macbook

It's just weird to see people wanking over 3DTouch as though it's some great leap forward. Hardware is worthless until it's been utilized by software and all the stuff Apple is using 3DTouch for have already been done on other platforms or aren't necessary:

"Woohoo you can 3DTouch an app icon on the iOS homescreen for quick actions. Such innovation, amazing leap forward"
"Oh Android had widgets and Windows Phone had Live icons since inception? Nevermind"

Wreav

Banned
multi-touch is kind of gimmicky

This is the part where we stop taking you seriously, if we'd ever started.

Frankly, since Forstall was forced out, Apple has been flopping on UI.

You seem to forget that Forstall had his strings pulled by Jobs. Steve had the final say on EVERYTHING UI related during his time. Forstall just executed Steve's vision. Third party keyboards and the multitasking you want would have never happened under Jobs/Forstall.

Reckoner

lol wut? You have an iPhone 6s already? I have force 3D touch on my Apple watch. It sucks, no better than a long press. But 3D touch UI is different on the phone so I'll wait to judge for myself. Frankly, since Forstall was forced out, Apple has been flopping on UI. I waited patiently for Apple to do third party keyboards, multitasking, a watch etc and get it right but their implementations are just not as good as the competition.

The main reason I'm keep going back to the Apple ecosystem is for OSX. I've tried the Surface Pro and the Chromebook Pixel but the Macbook still has the edge (primarily because of all the talented app developers). Now that iOS is catching up to Android, I can come back to the iPhone which has a simplified integration with my Macbook

It's just weird to see people wanking over 3DTouch as though it's some great leap forward. Hardware is worthless until it's been utilized by software and all the stuff Apple is using 3DTouch for have already been done on other platforms or aren't necessary:

"Woohoo you can 3DTouch an app icon on the iOS homescreen for quick actions. Such innovation, amazing leap forward"
"Oh Android had widgets and Windows Phone had Live icons since inception? Nevermind"

You may need to calm down. I haven't tried. I'm just talking out of my ass.

But from what I saw by the hands on videos, it's a cool feature to have. It's optional. But looks like a functional and helpful feature to get around the UI, and it's definitely better than what you posted there from what I've seen. The only time I had with Force Touch was on a MacBook and I liked the feel of it, but yeah, on phone it should feel different.

Hattori

Banned
iirc Apple Watch is a single level of detection, whereas 3D Touch has varying degrees. Either way it's too early to write it off, in conjunction with long press it could make a real difference in multitasking.

Wreav

Banned
If we're being honest, 3D Touch is only a thing because of iOS's inherent rigidity. They had to add more UI features, but had a limited way in which to add them, so they're essentially slapping them on top of icons and buttons. Is it the best way? Probably not. Will it greatly improve the usability of iOS for both casual and power users in an easy to use way? Seems like it.

giga

Having a widget for quick actions for each app instead of just having it built into the app itself would suck dude. Implementation matters.

And I'm confused about windows phone. Do live tiles have quick actions?

Having a widget for quick actions for each app instead of just having it built into the app itself would suck dude. Implementation matters.

And I'm confused about windows phone. Do live tiles have quick actions?

No, live tiles have no quick actions. You can pin a specific functionality of an app to the home screen and it takes you directly to that (specific directions in the map app or the barcode scanner in the Amazon app). Apple's implementation of shortcuts is more elegant, because it takes less space on the home screen.

Hasney

I think what they showed with 3D touch is bollocks, at least to me. I have no need to peek at things if I'm not going to open them, but I suppose if you get work emails and the like, you might.

Someone mentioned opening things in new tabs earlier. If that's easy to do, I may change my mind.

Wreav

Banned
I think what they showed with 3D touch is bollocks, at least to me. I have no need to peek at things if I'm not going to open them, but I suppose if you get work emails and the like, you might.

Someone mentioned opening things in new tabs earlier. If that's easy to do, I may change my mind.

They showed more than peeking. The parts I'm more excited for are the app shortcuts (jump straight to selfie mode in camera, jump straight to composing email, straight to voicemail on phone, etc). Also the multitasking from the left side.

Hasney

They showed more than peeking. The parts I'm more excited for are the app shortcuts (jump straight to selfie mode in camera, jump straight to composing email, straight to voicemail on phone, etc).

Oh yeah, and something about multitasking too, but my stream started jumping around at that point.

Jumping straight into Hearthstone with a default deck setup could be kinda handy.

What's the rumored price of the Nexus 5 2015? And do the Nexus phones usually sell in Canada at the same time as US?

I have a HTC ONE M7 and my god something has totally slowed down this phone to a crawl. There's a new service pack out from HTC this morning but I think it's time to upgrade, it's been 2 years I have this phone - mostly been great to me.

What's the rumored price of the Nexus 5 2015? And do the Nexus phones usually sell in Canada at the same time as US?

I have a HTC ONE M7 and my god something has totally slowed down this phone to a crawl. There's a new service pack out from HTC this morning but I think it's time to upgrade, it's been 2 years I have this phone - mostly been great to me.

Allegedly, starting at $399 for 16gb. $450 for 32gb.

Nothing confirmed, but those numbers are gaining steam. There was one recent rumor that said it would be 32gb/64gb, same prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom