• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
What's the rumored price of the Nexus 5 2015? And do the Nexus phones usually sell in Canada at the same time as US?

I have a HTC ONE M7 and my god something has totally slowed down this phone to a crawl. There's a new service pack out from HTC this morning but I think it's time to upgrade, it's been 2 years I have this phone - mostly been great to me.

Tbh if I hadn't gotten mine stolen, I think I'd be using this phone today. SD600 + 2 GB of RAM was a sweet spot. Sexiest phone I've ever owned and the only phone that people on the streets and at random fests in Chicago asked me about. It was that visually appealing.

EmiPrime

Frankly, since Forstall was forced out, Apple has been flopping on UI.

I can't agree with that, OS X has never looked better. Their big problem is that they suck at services still and iTunes and Apple Music are a mess. Eddy Cue should have joined Forstall out the door too.

Live Photos and 3D Touch are the biggest innovations in smartphone tech in years. I don't see how anyone can think otherwise.

reKon

Banned
I can't agree with that, OS X has never looked better. Their big problem is that they suck at services still and iTunes and Apple Music are a mess. Eddy Cue should have joined Forstall out the door too.

Live Photos and 3D Touch are the biggest innovations in smartphone tech in years. I don't see how anyone can think otherwise.

Is this a troll attempt here?

Blackhead

Redarse
You may need to calm down. I haven't tried. I'm just talking out of my ass.

But from what I saw by the hands on videos, it's a cool feature to have. It's optional. But looks like a functional and helpful feature to get around the UI, and it's definitely better than what you posted there from what I've seen. The only time I had with Force Touch was on a MacBook and I liked the feel of it, but yeah, on phone it should feel different.

iirc Apple Watch is a single level of detection, whereas 3D Touch has varying degrees. Either way it's too early to write it off, in conjunction with long press it could make a real difference in multitasking.

I'm not writing it off. I do think it's cool feature to have. What I'm pushing back against is the idea that the other mobile OS are miles behind because their phones don't currently have 3DTouch hardware or that peek and pop is some unique major UI advance. In the Android thread of all places I'd expect that opinion to be quickly dismissed but this thread... *sigh* most people here just care about hardware

Having a widget for quick actions for each app instead of just having it built into the app itself would suck dude. Implementation matters.

And I'm confused about windows phone. Do live tiles have quick actions?

No, live tiles have no quick actions. You can pin a specific functionality of an app to the home screen and it takes you directly to that (specific directions in the map app or the barcode scanner in the Amazon app). Apple's implementation of shortcuts is more elegant, because it takes less space on the home screen.

Oh wow, are we finally having a discussion about software in the Android thread?! Lol, of course it had be in a discussion about Apple but I'll take what I can get. Anyway I disagree obviously. 3Dtouch actions take up less space on the icon but is less visible and more mystery meat navigation. Live Tiles is a more elegant homescreen in general.

Hasney

The live image thing is also in the Google Camera 3.0 APK.

... That would mean using the Google Camera app though, so god help whoever does that.

EmiPrime

I don't know about "a lot better", because I haven't used any of the implementations.

Here's Nokia's Living Images.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbH1E57LuYA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgm813KfOKw

Seems like it only came to one Windows Phone. A niche within a niche so not surprising it was relatively unheard of.

The live image thing is also in the Google Camera 3.0 APK.

... That would mean using the Google Camera app though, so god help whoever does that.

Ah that's fantastic news!

giga

Someone in the windows phone thread explained why nokias implementation sucked. Maybe it was that ms employee. Just a terribly cumbersome function.

Maiar_m

I'm not writing it off. I do think it's cool feature to have. What I'm pushing back against is the idea that the other mobile OS are miles behind because their phones don't currently have 3DTouch hardware or that peek and pop is some unique major UI advance. In the Android thread of all places I'd expect that opinion to be quickly dismissed but this thread... *sigh* most people here just care about hardware
I don't think Android is years behind, nor do I think Apple is the best there is. The way Android handles notifications for instance is something Apple's been trying to replicate and I personally don't think they've done it well. I prefer Android as an OS overall because I've always found iOS limiting and frankly a bit boring. That being said, iOS's work on UX is indeed miles ahead. The features they implement software-wise are backed by judicious hardware choices.

3D Touch is an interesting feature because of that. Does it revolutionize UI? No, it's even something Android has done before (like you've been saying with Samsung), but the hardware feedback and careful interface design choices bring it all together in a way Android hasn't been able to replicate. Android's diversity of OEMs is both a strength and a definite weakness for that reason.

The second part of the reasoning behind the idea that non iOS phones are lagging behind is the market pressure that goes that way. Fingerprint scanners existed before Apple put them on their iPhone, but now they've done it it's the holy grail of phone security. Any new feature they implement is a focus point for the whole handled device market, being an Android fan doesn't absolve anyone form that.

So no, we don't care just about hardware, but it's a fact that hardware impacts the general UX that the OS can only assist with. This is why the Nexus line exists, it showcases a phone whose hardware is supposed to compliment the newly-released software as best as it can. But even there, the fact that it's still two companies trying to make that work mean they're not quite on par with Apple's omnipotence in the designing of their product and its features.

Anyways, I'm ranting by now. Here's the tl;dr : iOS isn't the holy grail of UI and yeah its innovative features are not innovations. But an iPhone is a whole that is built in a way that DOES make Android phone manufacturers try to catch up, over years, and it does make android OS look bad because it lakes that connection with its hardware.

EmiPrime

Someone in the windows phone thread explained why nokias implementation sucked. Maybe it was that ms employee. Just a terribly cumbersome function.

Not surprised and it looks like Google's implementation doesn't capture any audio either.

I'd rather have the Apple Live Photos, doesn't matter if Nokia did it first if they did it badly and on just one device on a failing OS.

gcubed

Non context touch is terrible ui design and something the Jobs would have never let happen. Long press wasn't the main issue with the use, it was "what the fuck happens when I long press and where".

I do enjoy reading all of the blogs talking about how 3D touch is amazing with no contextual scenarios but long touch was terrible ui because you had no idea where our when to use it.

3D touch is a better implementation of a bad design cue

Maiar_m

Non context touch is terrible ui design and something the Jobs would have never let happen. Long press wasn't the main issue with the use, it was "what the fuck happens when I long press and where".

I do enjoy reading all of the blogs talking about how 3D touch is amazing with no contextual scenarios but long touch was terrible ui because you had no idea where our when to use it.

3D touch is a better implementation of a bad design cue

That's very true, interaction patterns without design cues is pretty bad, but then again implementing a new feature with tons of marketing and hardware feedback give it a chance to exist. Pinch to zoom wasn't natural until it became so natural people try do to it on non-touch kindles... Time will tell.

Wreav

Banned
Had a funny moment with the wife and her S5 this morning, we were trying to send a pic to a friend, so I told her to open Hangouts, hit the camera icon, and flip it to selfie mode.

Turns out hitting the camera icon in Android Hangouts only opens the default camera app, and can't actually take a pic from within the app. I didn't believe her until she showed me the phone.

5.0.0 stays winning.

Had a funny moment with the wife and her S5 this morning, we were trying to send a pic to a friend, so I told her to open Hangouts, hit the camera icon, and flip it to selfie mode.

Turns out hitting the camera icon in Android Hangouts only opens the default camera app, and can't actually take a pic from within the app. I didn't believe her until she showed me the phone.

5.0.0 stays winning.

You dual wield phones?

/immature

What are some of the better Android focused twitter profiles I can follow? I want the latest and greatest news :)

3N1H0Fc.png

gcubed

5.0.0 stays winning.

i'm confused?

It works fine for me.

so rememeber when i said this?
can we finally say the tablet market is done?

Tab S2 with last years SoC. iPad Mini 4 with last years SoC and no new iPad SWM. PC makers tossing out tablets with the free Atoms they got fro Intel. Nobody else even pretending to try...
more bad news. the iPad Mini 4 has an A8, not an A8X.

"so what's the ipad mini 4? well simply, we've taken the power and performance of iPad Air 2 and built it into an ever smaller mini enclosure at just 0.65lbs. incredibly powerful and yet small and light."
can't even trust Apple nowadays.

RIP tablet market.

AndyD

aka andydumi

5.0.0 stays winning.

Did you expect Hangouts to have it's own camera app builtin? I don't think any messaging platform has that.

Husker86

5.0.0 stays winning.

i'm confused?

It works fine for me.
Yeah, not sure what's wrong with how it works.

I have an iPhone, too. I don't see what a custom camera implementation gives me, so educate me!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Pretty sure the iOS version does. Facebook Messenger does on both Android and iOS as well.

You can definitely take a picture right in the iMessage app and send it without ever having to leave the app.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaaaahhhhhhhhh can't breathe!

You guys don't even know what you're missing while you're driving on the access road instead of the iWay.

Unrelated, Kellen is doing a Q&A on the Pure: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/1...e-moto-x-pure-ask-me-questions/#disqus_thread

Yeah, not sure what's wrong with how it works.

I have an iPhone, too. I don't see what a custom camera implementation gives me, so educate me!

I also have an Iphone and the behavior is exactly the same. Click message, click picture icon, click take (vs. attach), opens camera (partial settings on Iphone), take picture, asks to keep/retake, hit keep, gets attached to message and ready to send.

I am not seeing how there;s any functional difference at all of having camera API builtin vs. opening an app. You guys are way critical over nothing on this one. If anything the iphone version lacks camera settings which is a weakness.

Wreav

Banned
I am not seeing how there;s any functional difference at all of having camera API builtin vs. opening an app. You guys are way critical over nothing on this one. If anything the iphone version lacks camera settings which is a weakness.

"The one thing I don't like about Android Hangouts is that it's almost too good."

gcubed

"The one thing I don't like about Android Hangouts is that it's almost too good."

... you haven't explained what your issue is. You posted a problem to try to seem like a smart ass, got called out and then just ignored people who are trying to help with the problem.

Wreav stays winning.

Wreav

Banned
Nah, didn't get called out at all. Your vitriol for me is blinding you.

We've got folks in here now defending needing two apps to take a picture instead of one.

Aside from all of this, the S5 couldn't even do selfie video once it opened the camera app from Hangouts, so again, worse is worse.

gcubed

Nah, didn't get called out at all. Your vitriol for me is blinding you.

We've got folks in here now defending needing two apps to take a picture instead of one.

i again, don't get your point. You click the camera button, it opens the camera, you take a picture, it has that picture sitting in hangouts for you to send. You push the send button. Whats the issue here?

Its not my vitriol for you, your blinding stupidity is ruining my brain.

Reckoner

so this is like their cameras being high end but taking low end photos.... makes sense

The thing is that you notice that difference with photos. It's not like you're going to notice the difference between 1080p and 4k on a 5.5" screen.

Like Wreav says, it's brilliant. Everyone should to this even with quadhd displays. Just use the quadhd on media and we'll get more battery of our already big batteries.

Z5 line just keeps scoring

Wreav

Banned
right, so you're just a shit posting troll. Thanks for confirmation.

You're still not contributing, sir. Or, go take a pic of yourself from hangouts and enjoy the wait time for the camera app to open or something.

The thing is that you notice that difference with photos. It's not like you're going to notice the difference between 1080p and 4k on a 5.5" screen.

Like Wreav says, it's brilliant. Everyone should to this even with quadhd displays. Just use the quadhd on media and we'll get more battery of our already big batteries.

For sure. I dunno why downscaling never occurred to me, but that's the kind of disruptive technology I've been waiting for from an OEM. Now, we need battery breakthroughs.

Groof

wasting time with idiots sure seems to be a favourite pastime in this thread

i'm also looking forward to when the 820 is out and we all hate it after 2 days on the market

maybe you won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom