• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want Gorilla Glass on my car already :/

Hey just today I was wondering why they don't use stronger shatter proof glass on vehicles.

By the way, were you guys aware that Google Now stores your voice on their servers from every voice search you've ever done? I dug through the setting and you can listen to recordings from their servers of your searches.

Hey just today I was wondering why they don't use stronger shatter proof glass on vehicles.

By the way, were you guys aware that Google Now stores your voice on their servers from every voice search you've ever done? I dug through the setting and you can listen to recordings from their servers of your searches.
yeah once I noticed all the tracking going on in the activity controls on googles site I disabled almost all of them.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Hello good people,

My Nexus 5 is broken. Again. This is my third phone in two months. For the second time, the power button has went on me. Pressing it down at all will bring up the text to power off and by then it just cuts itself off anyway. Usually it's then stuck in a boot loop.

But T-Mobile won't replace it again. What do you all suppose I do? I was considering maybe a Moto G as kind of stop gap until I get a Nexus 5X. But maybe I could get last year's Moto X? I don't really know.

yeah once I noticed all the tracking going on in the activity controls on googles site I disabled almost all of them.

Yeah, they have your youtube search history, google search history, location which knows where you've been even without using navigation to get there, and voice saved to their servers. They know and remember more about you than you probably do yourself.

They announced it a while ago but you can't buy it.

Anyway, i want more Nexus leaks.

Nice. Some Nexus leaks would be good, especially for the Huawei Nexus. Not interested in the 5.2 incher.

Also OP2 resale prices have tanked. Craigslist around me is selling them for $50 above cost. Went down way faster this year than last for the OPO. My hopes of paying off a new phone with profit made on these is gone :p

Hello good people,

My Nexus 5 is broken. Again. This is my third phone in two months. For the second time, the power button has went on me. Pressing it down at all will bring up the text to power off and by then it just cuts itself off anyway. Usually it's then stuck in a boot loop.

But T-Mobile won't replace it again. What do you all suppose I do? I was considering maybe a Moto G as kind of stop gap until I get a Nexus 5X. But maybe I could get last year's Moto X? I don't really know.

Demand Google or T-Mobile to replace it? They can't just refuse a faulty device back after 3 times if it keeps being faulty. You should be under warranty if you got it 2 months ago.

Rodeo Clown

Demand Google or T-Mobile to replace it? They can't just refuse a faulty device back after 3 times if it keeps being faulty. You should be under warranty if you got it 2 months ago.

I tried, but the T-Mobile rep wouldn't do it over the phone. She wanted me to do a factory reset. This is after I explained that they already replaced it like two months ago for the same problem (power button).

To be honest, though, I don't know that I want a replacement since two of their refurbished phones have died on me in only a couple of weeks. I don't know that I want to deal with this process again. I was really hoping I could just get by until the 5X.

I tried, but the T-Mobile rep wouldn't do it over the phone. She wanted me to do a factory reset. This is after I explained that they already replaced it like two months ago for the same problem (power button).

To be honest, though, I don't know that I want a replacement since two of their refurbished phones have died on me in only a couple of weeks. I don't know that I want to deal with this process again. I was really hoping I could just get by until the 5X.
Back when I worked in the call centre, if someone keeps getting faulty referbs I was able to phone up a manager and request a different device. Still a refurb but different. Maybe try to ask for that.

Jzero

Wait, you received 3 different phones with the same problem?

Are you pressing the power button too hard?

Rodeo Clown

Back when I worked in the call centre, if someone keeps getting faulty referbs I was able to phone up a manager and request a different device. Still a refurb but different. Maybe try to ask for that.

Okay, I'll try that in the morning. Thanks.

Wait, you received 3 different phones with the same problem?

Are you pressing the power button too hard?

This is my second one with a faulty power button. (I had another one just become a brick overnight one time. I woke up and it just didn't do anything. Fun!)

But it's a known problem on the Nexus 5. The power button just goes after a while. Pressing it at all will bring up the power off button. And then it just cuts out anyway. So I basically have no way to wake the screen, except a notification.

Jzero

Okay, I'll try that in the morning. Thanks.

This is my second one with a faulty power button. (I had another one just become a brick overnight one time. I woke up and it just didn't do anything. Fun!)

But it's a known problem on the Nexus 5. The power button just goes after a while. Pressing it at all will bring up the power off button. And then it just cuts out anyway. So I basically have no way to wake the screen, except a notification.

That sucks, i only owned mine for a year and i didn't have that problem.
People are taking theirs apart to fix them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comments/2rpfuj/nexus_5_broken_power_button_keeps_rebooting/

Price, type of memory being used, storage space, and video of someone using the phone are what I'm hoping for.

Can't help you with price, but all that other stuff was leaked ages ago.

7324b7e9jw1evduuntyoxj20hs0npab8.jpg

Ok, guys. I've expanded the list of possible cellphones.

LG G3, G3 TITAN, Xperia Z3, Z3 Compact, 1 + 1 64gb, Moto X 2014, HTC M8. Which is the best option?

LG G3, G3 TITAN, Xperia Z3, Z3 Compact, 1 + 1 64gb, Moto X 2014, HTC M8. Which is the best option?

What do you value most? Personally I'd go with the Moto X for the near stock experience and Moto actions are great. Battery is poop though.

What do you value most? Personally I'd go with the Moto X for the near stock experience and Moto actions are great. Battery is poop though.
Battery, I value battery a lot since I travel a lot.
HTC M8 or G3. I think you can turn the M8 into a developer edition and use stock Android on it.

Mmmm I'll check some M8 reviews, the G3 a guy is offering me is in mint conditions, too.
It will be a hard decision.

XBP

Only two options:

G3 = Solid battery life, perfect size, solid camera, fast and amazing screen. Main problem is its skin (which you can fix using nova launcher) and it getting hot fairly easily.\

M8 = Great skin, very fast, amazing speakers and solid build. Main problem being its camera and its relatively slippery due to its design.

I went with the G3 a month ago because it was 350$ and I was getting a 150$ gift card with it. Very happy with the phone so far.

If you value battery, stay far away from the Moto X

Only two options:

G3 = Solid battery life, perfect size, solid camera, fast and amazing screen. Main problem is its skin (which you can fix using nova launcher) and it getting hot fairly easily.\

M8 = Great skin, very fast, amazing speakers and solid build. Main problem being its camera and its relatively slippery due to its design.

I went with the G3 a month ago because it was 350$ and I was getting a 150$ gift card with it. Very happy with the phone so far.

Yeah, now I have 3 contenders: the M8, G3 and Xperia Z3 compact (That battery life).
I'm inclining towards the Z3C more, just because its battery life (are there any problems with this phone that I should be aware of?)

XBP

Yeah, now I have 3 contenders: the M8, G3 and Xperia Z3 compact (That battery life).
I'm inclining towards the Z3C more, just because its battery life (are there any problems with this phone that I should be aware of?)

Xperia Z3 series has a common problem of its back glass breaking fairly easily. I'd really hoped that sony would use a different material for the Z5 but they once again didn't do that.

rrvv

Z3C is pretty much best phone from the list especially if you like small phone.
Xperia Z3 series has a common problem of its back glass breaking fairly easily. I'd really hoped that sony would use a different material for the Z5 but they once again didn't do that.
Not sure. I drop my Z3C many times on concrete. Never crack.

Else just buy a case to protect it

Only that? I have an iPhone 4 now, it's the most fragile cellphone I've ever had. So I know how to handle it.

I'll let you try to engineer glass which won't shatter when several tons of steel and metal collide with each other or an object at 50 miles an hour.

Auto glass is designed specifically to shatter in a way that generates mostly large pieces and also blow outwards from the vehicle to reduce the chances of injury to passengers inside.

Maybe when they invent transparent aluminum shatter-proof glass will be possible on cars. We just need a guy to travel back in time from the 24th century to give us the manufacturing recipe. In return all he wants is a couple of whales to bring back with him.

Today I thought about getting a Galaxy S6.

"Well, TouchWiz looks better now and I'm sure the battery isn't even that bad. Plus, it has wireless charging! And 499 doesn't sound that bad."

What the hell is wrong with me? I can't believe that the new Nexus 5 design disappoints me so much, that I'm thinking about getting a Samsung phone.

Mindwipe

I hate the Android battery clusterfuck as much as anyone, but that's not exactly a scientific test.

Batteries don't drain on a totally linear scale, calibration on that device could be all over the place, and it's running incomplete pre-production firmware.

Edit: Having said that, my Z3C has come back from repair with about half it's previous battery life, FFS.

Reckoner

I hate the Android battery clusterfuck as much as anyone, but that's not exactly a scientific test.

Batteries don't drain on a totally linear scale, calibration on that device could be all over the place, and it's running incomplete pre-production firmware.

Edit: Having said that, my Z3C has come back from repair with about half it's previous battery life, FFS.

You're totally right on that, but I'm a bit worried since it packs a 810 and I think that a slightly smaller battery than the previous gen Z.

You're totally right on that, but I'm a bit worried since it packs a 810 and I think that a slightly smaller battery than the previous gen Z.

You should be more worried about whether the thing will over heat or if it'll be throatlled to the point that they should have just used an 808.

Reckoner

You should be more worried about whether the thing will over heat or if it'll be throatlled to the point that they should have just used an 808.

I'm confident that the heatpipe solution will keep it in place. We'll see. I'm looking forward for some reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom