• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to think that dropping phones was due to carelessness until I dropped my Moto X today. I rested it on my jeans and it slid right off onto concrete ;_;

Never dropped my Note 4 until I was pool drinking. Put it in my towel to protect from heat and forgot it was there. go to dry off, bam.

Cracked my tempered glass but saved the actual screen

hitgirl

The Moto X Pure comes with a bumper case in the box. Didn't see that mentioned anywhere else. It's fairly ugly but would be good for grandma or angry drunks

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The Moto X Pure comes with a bumper case in the box. Didn't see that mentioned anywhere else. It's fairly ugly but would be good for grandma or angry drunks

Yeah, that's actually pretty cool. Only other company that does that is Oppo

Wreav

Banned
yup. I expect USAA to support it as well, they already do face and voice login. Now that we have decent scanning and not the crappy slide scan, i expect it to take off

As of today, USAA now supports TouchID and split view multitasking on iOS. What is their Android group doing?!

Never dicked with it on Android, but I assume you need root?
You just need a browser that supports it.

It's just Web based ad blocking, not system wide.

It used to be possible without root but Google changed some stuff around years ago to stop that as it could also be used as an attack vector

You just need a browser that supports it.

It's just Web based ad blocking, not system wide.

This is true too. You can also use a web browser with it built in on Android. If you root, you can use adaway and that blocks ads in apps too. If you use xposed you can even you YouTube adaway which blocks YouTube ads.

Yeah,to get the full experience you have to root. They have one that blocks ads without root, but apparently only over WiFi for some reason.

Ad blockers on Android work the same way, only works over WiFi without root because of how baseband cell network works compared to WiFi network.

With one exception. There is one ad blocker on Android which works over cell network and WiFi without root but it works by creating a VPN on your device and routing all network traffic through that.

Ad blockers on Android work the same way, only works over WiFi without root because of how baseband cell network works compared to WiFi network.

With one exception. There is one ad blocker on Android which works over cell network and WiFi without root but it works by creating a VPN on your device and routing all network traffic through that.

Sounds like a janky, fucked up kluge of a solution. Much like Android itself.

Your track record of picking winners is under review, and your impending purchase is suspended until final verdict.

Lol. Really my main hold ups with iPhones were the 1gb of ram and no ad blocking. Now that both of those issues are fixed, along with Android seemingly becoming more locked down, it doesn't seem like a bad switch.

The Nexus 6 actually fits really well in my hand which is surprising. I like how the phone feels so far and since it fits in my shorts pocket I'll take it running later on. That being said the Wifi isn't working half the time so I hope this isn't a dud device.

Sounds like a janky, fucked up kluge of a solution. Much like Android itself.

Android is at least as janky, fucked-up, and kludgey as Windows. This is why they are both so successful.

Actually Windows actually gets timely updates to all machines that run it. You can't stop this Doomtrain now, all aboard the Android Security Apocalypse Express!

hitgirl

This is true too. You can also use a web browser with it built in on Android. If you root, you can use adaway and that blocks ads in apps too. If you use xposed you can even you YouTube adaway which blocks YouTube ads.

Right. Just rooted the Moto X Pure and installed adaway.

Salsa

speakin of droppin phones

I never drop mine, ever

except

when im drunk and in front of a toilet

this seems to happen often. as I dropped my previous phone on the toilet 3 times, and 2 of them it broke

this moto supposedly has some small water resistance so here's hoping it ends toilet-gate

I never drop mine, ever

except

this seems to happen often. as I dropped my previous phone on the toilet 3 times, and 2 of them it broke

this moto supposedly has some small water resistance so here's hoping it ends toilet-gate
I've never cracked a screen in my life. And if I do rock a case it's always the thinnest one possible that doesn't really protect from that.

Wreav

Banned

I never drop mine, ever

except

But since toilet water spins the other way where you live, it actually shoots the phone out of the toilet.

I upgraded to ios9 earlier today and tested out the so called battery improvements. The hype is real. #projectVoltaDoneRight

Still want my nexus 5-2 though

Oh yeah, battery saver is legit.
I'm not even talking about power saver mode, they claimed 1 hour more of battery and it was decently noticable. Haven't tried power saver but I imagine it's good.

I'm pretty shocked apple beat google to the splitscreen (inb4 samsung). Google it has been in the code. Wut r u doin.

Hasney

I'm getting about 40 hour battery on M on an average day now. That's well up from getting through a day on Lollipop.

Hopefully they don't fuck it up in the full release this times but that 5 battery should be fine if they don't.

I'm getting about 40 hour battery on M on an average day now. That's well up from getting through a day on Lollipop.

Hopefully they don't fuck it up in the full release this times but that 5 battery should be fine if they don't.
word. 2700mah on a ~5 inch 1080p screen could actually be pretty good if the optimization is there. Let us hope.

Reckoner

Tried a S6 Edge+ at the store today and the screen is gorgeous and build quality top notch. Didn't notice any lag; it's pretty snappy - and performs noticeable better from what I remember from my Nexus 6. The UI is so ugly it makes me wanna cry, though.

Wreav

Banned
I'm not even talking about power saver mode, they claimed 1 hour more of battery and it was decently noticable. Haven't tried power saver but I imagine it's good.

I'm pretty shocked apple beat google to the splitscreen (inb4 samsung). Google it has been in the code. Wut r u doin.
Nah, battery saver activating at 20% is what gets you the extra hour unless I'm severely confused.

Nah, battery saver activating at 20% is what gets you the extra hour unless I'm severely confused.
I had read that the 1 hour is from general optimization and power saver gives you a separate ~3 hours extra.

iOS 9 introduces Low-Power Mode for the first time on iOS. Apple has done a lot of work under the hood with iOS 9 to get up to an extra hour of battery life in normal use, and Low-Power Mode extends that further.

IR blaster just fucking won

I'm just chilling here at the shop while my car gets worked on. The TV here was showing HGTV for some reason. The nice old man waiting with me asked a guy who works there if he could change the channel to CNN so he could watch the JV no one cares about candidates do their debate before Trump burns the Republican party to the ground later. The guy who works here couldn't find the remote.

No problem, I paused the game I was playing on my phone, opened that Smart Remote app on my phone, pointed my phone at the box, and changed the channel to CNN. EZPZ with built in IR blaster on my Note 4.

Bloodember

So the OP2 is an awesome phone.

See you later, N6,
Ordered my OP2 Monday, of course it still hasn't shipped yet.

What's funny about that is I never signed up an invite and I've never posted on their forums but Monday I had an invite, so fuck it I bought it. Will sell my Op1 when I recieve it.

Jzero

IR blaster just fucking won

I'm just chilling here at the shop while my car gets worked on. The TV here was showing HGTV for some reason. The nice old man waiting with me asked a guy who works there if he could change the channel to CNN so he could watch the JV no one cares about candidates do their debate before Trump burns the Republican party to the ground later. The guy who works here couldn't find the remote.

No problem, I paused the game I was playing on my phone, opened that Smart Remote app on my phone, pointed my phone at the box, and changed the channel to CNN. EZPZ with built in IR blaster on my Note 4.

Why are they never included on Nexus devices? I want to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom