• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitgirl

The new nexus 5 will be all those things and run stock. Stahp.

True. OK. I'm not allowed to buy another phone until the Nexus 5 2105 comes out.

Moto X pure took me like a frustrating hour to root. Nexus 6 was 4 minutes and it was my first time using Android / rooting a phone .

Drifters

True. OK. I'm not allowed to buy another phone until the Nexus 5 2105 comes out.

Moto X pure took me like a frustrating hour to root. Nexus 6 was 4 minutes and it was my first time using Android / rooting a phone .

So we're judging how good a phone is now based on how easy it is to root? Huh.... ok.

Jzero

So a couple of case makers on amazon are changing the titles of their Nexus 6 cases to "Nexus 6 (2014) release". Is the new phone going to be called Nexus 6 2015 or what?

Holy Christ, someone's legit shook today.

fxIFWYm.png

bTrQfcW.png

Only 25%? The Verge sure had a lot of "I Love Apple" readers then, they're gonna be shook as fuck when the Apple users there start blocking ads. On sites like Ars Technica and Anandtech, the ad blocking rate is closer to 40%.

his whole meltdown has been embarassing. what a doucher.

You mean his meltdown over his spiked wrist bracelet wasn't embarrassing enough already?

hmm. thin.. wireless charging.. android.. finger print scanner? Decent flip case...

Is it a pain in the ass to root and take out all the Verizon/Samsung bloat?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6/general/root-pingpongroot-s6-root-tool-t3103016
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ver...nt/root-guide-how-to-root-simplified-t3104094

To root the Verizon S6, you need to make sure you buy one which can still be exploited by Pingpong Root. That means it needs to still be on 5.0.1, or apparently an early 5.0.2 build. They patched it awhile back but I'm not sure if they are actually shipping new S6s with an updated build of Android yet. Whatever you do, do NOT put the SIM in the phone before you turn it on. You have to do Pingpong Root on it first and if you take any OTA updates from Verizon you will patch the exploit that makes it possible.

So apparently I've hit my limit for devices that I can use Google Music on and I've also hit my limit on devices I can deregister.... Seriously Goggle?!?

tzare

So apparently I've hit my limit for devices that I can use Google Music on and I've also hit my limit on devices I can deregister.... Seriously Goggle?!?

you can deregister after a year, but yeah, it is a bit annoying if you use multiple devices. I also reached the limit, but hopefully, since it is a skip year, no new devices to add for now.

They also should deregister devices that register with other accounts

Reckoner

Just imagine if Moto was wise enough to release a Moto X with similar design to the 2013 one, same size, better materials ofc, a 720p or 1080p COLOR freaking ACCURATE display with a good battery. And then another big ass model based on the Moto X Pro 6" which has the best big phone ergonomics and design, imo, but with a decent material on the back and not plastic. A lol for a 700 euros phone. Also, fingerprint sensor on the side like Sony which is the best Android solution that also keeps the dual front facing stereo speakers and is in a natural place.

Did I just describe not one but two perfect phones?

It's interesting how Sony managed to delivery all I described with the Z5 line, apparently. Only thing left to see is how it handles the 810 and the hit on the battery it might take.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Ty4on

Just imagine if Moto was wise enough to release a Moto X with similar design to the 2013 one, same size, better materials ofc, a 720p or 1080p COLOR freaking ACCURATE display with a good battery. And then another big ass model based on the Moto X Pro 6" which has the best big phone ergonomics and design, imo, but with a decent material on the back and not plastic. A lol for a 700 euros phone. Also, fingerprint sensor on the side like Sony which is the best Android solution that also keeps the dual front facing stereo speakers and is in a natural place.

Did I just describe not one but two perfect phones?

It's interesting how Sony managed to delivery all I described with the Z5 line, apparently. Only thing left to see is how it handles the 810 and the hit on the battery it might take.
While it wasn't perfect (oversaturated) the 2013 Moto X had a more color accurate screen which was brighter than the 2014 Moto X's display. The 2013 also didn't have a pentile layout so the total number of subpixels barely increased in the 2014 model.

I'd love to see a good LG LCD panel it it though. I don't want to worry about the navigation keys burning in and the power deficit for active display isn't that big.

Audioboxer

Smart move. Should get that $430 S6.

I just picked up an S6, love it. I've always preferred stock android but all these moves to bigger handsets annoy me. Smallish hands.

I checked out the dimensions for the Nexus 5 and it seems a little big for me. Would have preferred if they stuck to around the old Nexus 5 size.

A custom rom on an S6 is good enough for me.

Ty4on

I also got the Stagefright update for my Nexus 4. I had already gotten the first one which didn't completely fix it. The update was tiny, 7.6MB IIRC.

I really hope someone will compile L for the N4. Such a shame Google won't support their devices for three years. Especially now with Android updates being designed to reduce system load.

I also got the Stagefright update for my Nexus 4. I had already gotten the first one which didn't completely fix it. The update was tiny, 7.6MB IIRC.

I really hope someone will compile L for the N4. Such a shame Google won't support their devices for three years. Especially now with Android updates being designed to reduce system load.

With the N4 they don't even have the terrible "the SoC isn't supported, no drivers, we don't know what to doooo!" excuse they gave with the Galaxy Nexus.

linkboy

Finally reached the breaking point with my nexus 5's lagging and bought a Nexus 6 64GB today.

Was video chatting with my 4yr old son today and it just stalled and became totally unresponsive. It's been an ongoing issue, I've tried different roms, restored to stock and nothing can seem to fix it.

Can't wait to get my new phone.

Hasney

Warms my cold, black heart.

Really hoping they do a decent N6 next year and I'll upgrade then. Nothing in #2skip15 is standing out to me in the larger phone category.

Ty4on

With the N4 they don't even have the terrible "the SoC isn't supported, no drivers, we don't know what to doooo!" excuse they gave with the Galaxy Nexus.

And yet they used a very similar OMAP in Google Glass T_T

I wish Google, especially now after the split, put some real effort into the Nexus line. I don't really want a modified LG/Moto/HTC/Huawei, I want a Google phone. The Nexus line has made some huge left turns because they constantly changed manufacturer.

kinggroin

Banned
Warms my cold, black heart.

Really hoping they do a decent N6 next year and I'll upgrade then. Nothing in #2skip15 is standing out to me in the larger phone category.

Hasney! You're in here too?

Loved your Mario Maker stuff homey. You should join the GAF gaming and phone chat. Got some guys sharing levels and whatnot.

Hasney

Yeah, I get around.

And hook a brotha up, as long as it's not Hangouts since mine has gone a little weird in M preview, so might have to wait for the full release. Not giving up this battery life. Cheers for the level praise again though!

Wish I wasn't stuck at work, I fancy making and playing some more.

hitgirl

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6/general/root-pingpongroot-s6-root-tool-t3103016
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ver...nt/root-guide-how-to-root-simplified-t3104094

To root the Verizon S6, you need to make sure you buy one which can still be exploited by Pingpong Root. That means it needs to still be on 5.0.1, or apparently an early 5.0.2 build. They patched it awhile back but I'm not sure if they are actually shipping new S6s with an updated build of Android yet. Whatever you do, do NOT put the SIM in the phone before you turn it on. You have to do Pingpong Root on it first and if you take any OTA updates from Verizon you will patch the exploit that makes it possible.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. Good to know.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179101804&postcount=898

I mean, I know it's
HUELEN10
, but the Reality Distortion Field is strong as fuck when you don't actually realize people figured out ad blocking on Android almost right after the first Android phone ever was rooted.

Not to defend HUELEN10, because that guy makes tons posts that are completely baseless, but there is a difference between the way iOS handles ad blocking and having to root to do it on Android. iOS you just download a content blocker and you're all set. Easy to use for anyone (including my 65 year old father). What percentage of Android users even know how to root or know that you could ad block if you did?

If people consider having to root to get something working properly, then the argument that iOS is a locked down OS wouldn't be valid anymore since if you jailbreak it you can change tons of the things in the OS. With a jailbreak you can theme iOS and change the default apps, yet everyone says those options don't exist on iOS and have been for years with a jailbreak.

EmiPrime

You can download Ghostery and Adblock Plus browsers from the Play Store. Some browsers also support extensions. You don't have to root to block ads.

Hasney

Making it easy to block ads in the browser is pretty genius from Apple. If your site is ad supported and you need that revenue, you'll try harder to make them download your free app... Complete with Apples own advertising platform.

popeutlal

Making it easy to block ads in the browser is pretty genius from Apple. If your site is ad supported and you need that revenue, you'll try harder to make them download your free app... Complete with Apples own advertising platform.
Why would the consumer download the app with ads when they can use the website with the same functionality without ads?

You can download Ghostery and Adblock Plus browsers from the Play Store. Some browsers also support extensions. You don't have to root to block ads.

Can you block ads in Chrome without having to root? I'm asking because I really don't know.

The overlooked thing, and the great thing about the way Apple implemented it at a system level is that it also blocks content for any app using SafariViewController. So for an app like Tweetbot for example that is using SafariViewController (coming in its next update), when you open a link in app, the web page that opens will have ads blocked on it as well which to me is a lot more convenient than having to open links from an app in a 3rd party browser to get the benefits of content blocking.

It always gets back to the silly argument of who did things first. Who cares who did something first? People should care about who does it best. Android does tons of things better than iOS, content blocking at this point isn't one of them though.

jwk94

On second thought, the moto x style screen is bad. They should've just stayed with last year's screen. The colors were much better in that. Here, black looks kinda washed out. You won't notice this too much though unless you're looking at the active display.

EmiPrime

Can you block ads in Chrome without having to root? I'm asking because I really don't know.

The overlooked thing, and the great thing about the way Apple implemented it at a system level is that it also blocks content for any app using SafariViewController. So for an app like Tweetbot for example that is using SafariViewController (coming in its next update), when you open a link in app, the web page that opens will have ads blocked on it as well which to me is a lot more convenient than having to open links from an app in a 3rd party browser to get the benefits of content blocking.

It always gets back to the silly argument of who did things first. Who cares who did something first? People should care about who does it best. Android does tons of things better than iOS, content blocking at this point isn't one of them though.

No and I agree being able to use a content blocker for Chrome like you can with Safari on iOS would be preferable.

Blackhead

Redarse

It's not on a system level, it's on a Safari level. Not all apps will use SafariViewController (e.g. Twitter is one of my most used apps and it doesn't support SafariViewController) forcing iOS adblock developers (Marco with Peace) to use janky solutions like providing a share button to open links in a the third party adblocker webviewcontroller.

Moreover you're ignoring that third party browsers on Android can be made the default browser AND with Android's intent system you can set web pages to automatically open in the webbrowser instead of using a webviewcontroller like on iOS. Twitter on Android opens all links in my browser but Twitter on iOS has to first go through the webviewcontroller.

The main argument as far as I can tell in favor of Apple's implementation is that it might result in a faster Safari? I haven't seen all the benchmarks. But imo Android's is better system wide and more convenient for the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom